PDA

View Full Version : Game needs to Dark...

Sylarhiro
28th Dec 2008, 12:56
just discovered this game today, and have to say, after watching Dark Knight again, the tone and feel to this game needs to match the current reality and darkness of the character portrayed in the current movies

iv been a fan of Gotham's Dark knight since a kid, all video games have never really caught that aspect of the comics which as finally been realised in the movies. This could be a powerful franchise if they allow the characters in the comics to finally come alive in the games, Batman is dark, clever and dangerous to the point of almost crossng the line, the villains are also dark, and dangerous, and needs to be reflected in the games as such. using Arkham as the game base is such a great idea, hope they use it to its full potential

Eidos have the chance to make a game worth of the comics, but if they fail, they will miss out on a great opportunity

The Lilac Pilgrim
1st Jan 2009, 04:12
Why?

Why does it need to match the realism of the movies? It is, after all, a comic-based game, which allows for a lot more creative control over what happens in the game. The Dark Knight is a brilliant film, but let's face it, the Nolan films are standalone from the comics; you can enjoy them without ever having read the comics. Games could be like that as well, but it really depends on the type of game.

Okay, I didn't read the comics when I was younger; they weren't readily available to me (despite the popularity of Batman: The Animated Series). But since the comics have become available for my purchase, I really think this game could be dark and gritty, but not like the current films - more like the graphic novels.

I have complete faith in Paul Dini writing the story. He is an amazing talent and can easily make the characters believable and exciting.

RedFalcon16
1st Jan 2009, 18:11
I agree with the OP. I would love a dark element in this game, which I think there will be. It doesn't have to match the movies, it's not going to, it's coming straight from comic book material.

The game is set in Arkham, so I am expecting a very creepy, dark, lonely feeling while playing this game.

Can't wait for it's release.

Zsasz
2nd Jan 2009, 00:20
In my humble and sociopathic opinion, I believe that this game will be exceedingly dark. It's Batman for Two-Face's sake, the dark atmosphere is what made Batman come alive for me. That and the deep psychological often found in the Villains, and even Heroes. The total insanity of the Joker, the Schizophrenia of Two-Face, the great inadequacies of The Riddler. They all tie together so perfectly.

The Lilac Pilgrim
2nd Jan 2009, 03:32
I'd just like to point out that the only thing I was disagreeing with was the whole "like the movie" part. The darkness is what makes Batman... Batman.

@Zsasz: we prefer the term "supersanity" with regards to the Joker :P

And is Two-Face really schizophrenic? He's incredibly dependent on his coin for decision making but I'd hardly call it schizophrenic. Perhaps more of a borderline or a dissociative identity disorder.

Kai Rei
2nd Jan 2009, 05:28
I'd just like to point out that the only thing I was disagreeing with was the whole "like the movie" part. The darkness is what makes Batman... Batman.

@Zsasz: we prefer the term "supersanity" with regards to the Joker :P

And is Two-Face really schizophrenic? He's incredibly dependent on his coin for decision making but I'd hardly call it schizophrenic. Perhaps more of a borderline or a dissociative identity disorder.

I think he's often considered schizophrenic... Not too sure.

Also, Scarecrow need's to be how he was in Juan Doe's Arkham Asylum: Scarecrow.

Nagisawa Rei
2nd Jan 2009, 22:40
Honestly, I don't think we need to worry too much about this being not dark enough. Seriously, the redesigns of the characters, the rusty metal tools, the tables with cracked and used leather bindings on them... Arkham is a NASTY place to be locked up in...

The_Hylden
2nd Jan 2009, 23:29

Depending on who is writing him, certainly, but most regard his outward appearance as physical showings of his polar opposite personalities. Good Harvey, bad Harvey. Paul Dini went one step further in The Animated Series by making his split personality opposite as having a name: Big Bad Harv. However, he wasn't the first to list the personality change as coming from something repressed in Harvey's past.

Batmanhill6157
3rd Jan 2009, 18:24
people need to stop trying to relate this with The Dark Knight. This is based on comics and is an entirely different thing. The comics are already dark so no point to copy the darkness in the film if the sorce material has that and then some.

angleslam99
11th Jan 2009, 08:09
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth is far more darker than the current movies.

shadowmatt18
12th Jan 2009, 00:25
The edited version. (sorry for the original structure)

*most* of the people that relate batman to the movies don't appretiate the comics. Now i'm not saying there's anything wrong with the dark knight, after all it is my favourite movie. i'm just saying theres more to batman than just the way he's interperated in the movies.

in the comics and animated series, batman is more than a man. They really try to set the limits in the movies to make it seem like batman lives in real life world after all that's the way Christoper Nolan makes the batman movies feel like. As where in the comics and the animated series, batman really doesn't have any limits.He's the greatest escape artist, he's beaten supers as he lacks any, he's recovered after a spineal injury from bane, he's gone through phycological attacks. in the words of superman "he is the most dangerous man on the earth".

Yes the dark knight version is a really cool version, but in this game this is not a young, starting out, irrational, anger issues batman. This is a middle aged, calm (generally speaking of course), looks over the situation completly batman. The point of this game (from what we've been told from the developers) is to take the very best out of the 70 years and put it into the game. We got a jack nicholson/leadger/comics/TAS version of the joker, didn't we? they want to combine and take the very best things from almost all formats of batman. I'll get to my point, the point is, they're going for a TAS/ comics universe with a dark realistic feel like in the movies just by being in arkham. i think it's safe to say that we will all be happy with the level of darkness (hey at least we don't have robin). If other people still have complaints about the *lack* of darkness well.... go take a long hard look over at the riddlers cell screenshot and tell me that that's not dark.

Nagisawa Rei
15th Jan 2009, 04:01
Holy Run on sentances, Batman!

Matt, dude? Mind capitalizing? Using paragraphs? Please?

Dear God, I'm sure you have a GREAT point buried in there, but I'm not going to dig through that sheer wall of text...

shadowmatt18
15th Jan 2009, 21:47
Holy Run on sentances, Batman!

Matt, dude? Mind capitalizing? Using paragraphs? Please?

Dear God, I'm sure you have a GREAT point buried in there, but I'm not going to dig through that sheer wall of text...

lol yeah sorry about that guys for that post i didn't do much editing because of the size, it's edited now so if it bothered anyone else sorry. No, the whole point of the paragraph is just to say that i'm kinda tired of everyone thinking that the true batman is the one we see from the dark knight movie. Yes it's a cool batman but the true batman is the one from the comics. The one from the movie is just a realistic interpertation, the one we're going to see in this game. true fans will appretiate this game better than the fans of the movie(s), but that's just my opinion.