PDA

View Full Version : Marketing for BS: Pacific Falling Short

LORD BLACKFIRE
26th Dec 2008, 16:55
I just don't get it. The marketing effort for Battlestations seems to be falling short already. There are simple and inexpensive things that could be done to promote the game that don't seem to be happening. :mad2:

Why is the latest developer diary video not up on all the various gaming sites? :scratch:

Maybe Eidos gave Gamespot an exclusive for a day or two but now the video is up at TeamXbox and even on YouTube.

However, does 1UP.com (which is also also EGM) have it? NO. :thud:
Does GamesRadar.com (also PC Gamer) have it? NO :thud:
Does GamePro.com have it? NO :thud:
Does OXMOnline.com have it? NO :thud:
Does SubSim.com have it? NO :thud:
Is it available on Xbox Live? NO :thud:

Aside from the video, did Eidos make Battlestations: Pacific available to 1UP.com or GamePro.com for their games of 2009 features? It doesn't look like it. :confused:

Why are articles and videos that do appear on various sites not posted via links on the main Battlestations: Pacific website? :confused:

Why is the Facebook area for Battlestations: Pacific more up-to-date than the main website? (but not completely - it's missing the recent GamesRadar.com PC preview article - better than the Gamespot write up) :confused:

It took me about 15 minutes to browse the websites mentioned above . . . and I'm not getting paid for it. It'd probably take just a bit longer to contact those websites about videos and previews/features. :poke:

That leads me to think that somebody isn't getting paid which bodes poorly for our game. :(

sstoffels
26th Dec 2008, 17:07
i don't care how many websites have the stuff just how much stuff comes out and if they keep promises and that previews are not totally useless and reveal nothing what bothers me the most is that the multiplayer details have not come out yet when they were promised in august i don't care about the IJN campaign any more its cool but thats all they talk about i say everyone plays 10 times more multiplayer then campaign anyway so lets get the details on that. i just did just find the very first bsp trailer on xbox live thats a step

US Revenge
26th Dec 2008, 17:24
other than the xbox live there is nothing there that matters like the websites that dont exist imo.

anyways videos on market place are all they need at this point. its the best for most ppl anyways.

what i dont like is they havent shown alot of actual MP gameplay. wich they should start releaseing on the market place.

Arrow
26th Dec 2008, 18:10
Too many graphics, not enough data regarding gameplay features that hasn't been stated before. Not enough comparisons from BSM so we know what we're really getting into.

Red October
27th Dec 2008, 01:54
I have to agree. Even with the new tomb raider game i saw little if any advertising :zzZ: . I would be a shame for BSP to fall through the cracks being such a great looking game. I mean if you look at the advertising for Cod 5 you couldn't wipe your nose without hearing about it, and i do know that Activision has a bigger budget than Eidos, but come on guys :thumb: .

dark_angel_7
27th Dec 2008, 12:40
I agree. Marketing id vital, especially Online Marketing. TRU had loads of marketing going for it and a £1 million+ advertising campaign for it.

OK so I doubt that Eidos will give BSP £1 million+ but they should do a lot more marketing for this game especially since it ma be released in around 3-4 months.

LORD BLACKFIRE
27th Dec 2008, 15:06
I'm off on break right now and have time to listen to the major gaming podcasts and read many gaming sites and I'm getting worried that the gaming media have no clue about BS:P. :scratch:

Many shows (1UP Yours, Giant Bombcast, TalkRadar, Gamers With Jobs, OXM Podcast, etc.) have done segments on games they are looking forward too in 2009. NONE have mentioned BS:Pacific. :eek:

Many sites have articles on the games of 2009. NONE have mentioned BS:Pacific. :eek:

BS:Pacific is not on their radar screens and thus not on the screens of many gamers/potential buyers. :(

I think I'll spend some time considering places where BS:Pacific could be promoted, either through preview-type articles & videos or ad buys. I'll post them here.

I'd like to encourage others to do the same. Let's keep it practical and useful. We don't know what budget the marketing department has to work with but suggestions like "network TV", much less specific mega-events like the Superbowl, won't be helpful.

Try to think of some areas where potential customers might be reached that the marketing people might not be aware of, esp. cheaper (i.e., smaller or newer) places to advertise. Links would be good. :thumb:

LORD BLACKFIRE
27th Dec 2008, 18:06
Here are my suggestions. Most focus on places to run ads but some could be used to feature preview articles and/or videos. I'm also not wasting time on the more obvious and traditional places like G4, Gameinformer, Gamespot, IGN, etc.

I'm breaking these down into several categories based on what I suspect they will cost to buy ads from.

Higher Cost:

History Channel (includes Military History Channel, History International and others) - Last February (and repeated several times throughout 2008) the History Channel ran a series called "Battle 360" focusing on the USS Enterprise during WWII. This show was widely discussed during games of BS:Midway and in various forums. An ad buy on a repeat of that show or something similar might put BS:Pacific on the radar screens of many people who do not normally read video game magazines or visit game websites. http://www.aetn.com/advertise/

Mid Level Cost: (The 1st three listed would target older individuals who are less likely to read or visit video game sites. The last three would target younger customers who might not normally think about playing a WWII naval warfare game but could be interested.)

HistoryNet and Weider History Group - this publisher has a variety of magazines right up the more educated potential BS: Pacific player's alley: World War II, MHQ, Military History, British Heritage, etc. http://www.historynet.com/advertise-with-historynet-and-weider-history-group

The Armchair General - also part of the Wieder Group http://www.armchairgeneral.com/advertise-with-armchair-general.htm

The Wargamer - this website has a long list of gaming publishers on their advertiser list including Microsoft, Ubisoft, Strategic Simulations, etc. Guess who is not there? EIDOS! Click this link to see: http://www.wargamer.com/aboutus/advertise.asp

Wizard Magazine - focuses on comics and movies as well as video games http://www.wizarduniverse.com/advertise.html

Marvel Comics - I recall seeing ads for little green plastic army men in old comics when I was a kid. Kids like wargames. http://www.marvel.com/company/index.htm?sub=dimensions_current.htm

DC Comics - Most comics are sold in comic stores that also feature wargames, another potential customer base. http://www.dccomics.com/about/?action=contact

Lower Cost:

Totally Rad Show - This is weekly hour long video podcast with regular in-depth segments on movies, video games, etc. Sometimes they don't just talk about the games but actually play them on the show. They do a very good job promoting their sponsors at the end of each episode. You can download the show on iTunes. Check it out: http://www.totallyradshow.com/contact/

ConsimWorld.com - this is a site that would probably appreciate preview type articles and links to videos - http://www.consimworld.com/

SubSim.com - this site is has been friendly to BS:Midway and BS:Pacific in the past, often posting links to articles I've emailed them. It focuses on naval warfare games and current naval events. http://www.subsim.com/nucleus/subsim_advertise.htm

Giant Bomb - These guys have done a phenomenal job setting up a 1st class gaming website in just under a year. They've got a great podcast too. http://www.giantbomb.com/media-kit/

1UP - this is a more obvious pick but they have two podcasts that might be useful to advertise on: the 1UP Show and 1UP Yours. The 1UP Show is a weekly 30 minute video podcast usually focusing on 3 games in 10 minute segments with ads in between. The 1UP Yours podcast is a leading audio podcast lasting about 1.5 to 2 hours. http://www.the1upnetwork.com/

FREE!:
Xbox Live's Major Nelson Radio (a.k.a. Larry Hryb) - Major Nelson often interviews developers on his weekly podcast about upcoming or newly released games. He generally only offers one interview but a few times he's done a follow-up. http://majornelson.com/

CaptHawkeye
27th Dec 2008, 23:38
I think a reality that needs to be confronted with BS as a franchise is that it will never be popular. It's not Halo, it's not Call of Duty, it's not Starcraft, it's not Doom, it's not Duke Nukem Forever, it's not Resistance, it's not Metal Gear Solid, it's not Final Fantasy, it's not Gears of War.

It will never be popular because it isn't a game of the genre gamers are used too. Gamers despise trying new things, why else did Psychonauts sell like piss?

Arrow
28th Dec 2008, 00:40
I think you're right, but just because it likely won't be popular doesn't mean you don't try.

LORD BLACKFIRE
28th Dec 2008, 03:35
I think a reality that needs to be confronted with BS as a franchise is that it will never be popular. It's not Halo, it's not Call of Duty, it's not Starcraft, it's not Doom, it's not Duke Nukem Forever, it's not Resistance, it's not Metal Gear Solid, it's not Final Fantasy, it's not Gears of War.

It will never be popular because it isn't a game of the genre gamers are used too. Gamers despise trying new things, why else did Psychonauts sell like piss?

Don't misunderstand what I think is possible or plausible.

I do not think for a second that BS:P will ever equal any of the games you mentioned above in sales (well, maybe Duke Nukem Forever, assuming it's not budget priced like some say it will be).

I do think that there are areas of untapped potential customers, esp. based on what I've seen of Eidos's marketing in the past.

I'm worried that Eidos will just pull out the marketing file of where they advertised BS:Midway last time and click "repeat".

Eidos seems to have a love-in with Gamespot with the rare fling with IGN, TeamXbox, & 1UP. I'm sure they'll buy an ad or two with Gameinformer and maybe PC Gamer and the Official Xbox Magazine. Ditto a British mag like EDGE. The big "pop" will probably be an ad buy on G4 (to run alongside the other 30 video game commericials the channel runs each day). Then it'll call it a day and wait for the sales numbers to come in and shrug at the results.

Eidos needs to put this game in front of people who aren't jaded by seeing video game ads every few seconds. It needs to think about smaller, cheaper (even free), more targeted places. It needs to put the game on video podcasts where it will probably be the only sponsor for that show. It should advertise in military history mags where it will probably be the only video/PC game advertised that issue.

No unreasonable expectations here. Just trying to help them think outside the box.

Please feel free to contribute your own ideas.

Shamrock
28th Dec 2008, 07:59
Edios marketing is a little lacking. I mean I posted the last article/video to NEOGAF, IGN, and Youtube. I don't get paid to do this stuff, but I like the game and want it to succeed. I would think that someone who does get paid can take 1 day to spread info around on other gaming sites even if it's just posting new video's to forums.

dark_angel_7
28th Dec 2008, 11:22
Great ideas Lord Blackfire. Just as someone above me said, BSP wont ever be hugely popular simply because of its genre. Its not a casual game and thats why Eidos needs to promote the game even more than usual via online especially.

sstoffels
28th Dec 2008, 17:53
FREE!:
Xbox Live's Major Nelson Radio (a.k.a. Larry Hryb) - Major Nelson often interviews developers on his weekly podcast about upcoming or newly released games. He generally only offers one interview but a few times he's done a follow-up. http://majornelson.com/

i learned about bsm thought xbox live so that would be the best place to get knowen because more people would see it.

barrybarfly
28th Dec 2008, 21:15
Wouldn't help the PC sales if they only used marketplace (xbox live). Besides I think bsp is one of those games that people who are interested and who would be of any value to the community already know about. They will tell other people and so on. Anyone who falls outside this group is either:
1. Not going to like it.
2. A kid (urgh! Who wants a bunch of mouthy, team killing kids on their team?).
or 3. Not going to be able to stick with it long enough to learn the game and enjoy it.

I dont see large amounts of advertising doing anything to change this.

LORD BLACKFIRE
29th Dec 2008, 02:21
Wouldn't help the PC sales if they only used marketplace (xbox live). Besides I think bsp is one of those games that people who are interested and who would be of any value to the community already know about. They will tell other people and so on. Anyone who falls outside this group is either:
1. Not going to like it.
2. A kid (urgh! Who wants a bunch of mouthy, team killing kids on their team?).
or 3. Not going to be able to stick with it long enough to learn the game and enjoy it.

I dont see large amounts of advertising doing anything to change this.

I agree they have to use more than Xbox Live. I think the PC gamers can be reached through sites like Wargamer like I posted above, among others.

I have to completely disagree with your statment that those who might be interested in the game already know about it. Your line of thinking would guarantee Eidos makes no more money on BS:P than it did with BS:M. Heck, I'm still bumping into people on Live who do not know about BS:P. The world's a bigger place with more uninformed people than you think. We're forum junkies. Most people I play with are not. Those that halfway even care will just ask me what's going on instead of looking for themselves.

As far as points 1-3 are concerned, neither Eidos, the developers, nor I care. So long as they pony up $60 bucks, who cares if they are a kid or don't stick with it? That's another royalty check that goes to the guys who pour their efforts into building the game you and I enjoy. If BS:P does the same business that BS:M did then it will be consider a failure by Eidos. We want to create the possibility of a sequal to BS:P.

The point of this thread is to help point Eidos to areas where it might reach more people to sell this game to, not to pick and choose the people we want to play with.

xXLAXERXx
29th Dec 2008, 04:45
i love bs:m, i've been playing it for months and still play ,but to just find out about the sequel today is shocking to me, but at least it looks like a really awesome game hope its as good as the trailers portray :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

It3llig3nc3
29th Dec 2008, 13:41
I'm greally glad that somebody else is here who finds the communication around BS:P is a bit shallow - to put it nicely.
I have been arguing for a while for more transparency, information and presence about the game.
In today's world it is quite important to do some marketing to attract people to buy products. They only buy it if they KNOW about it. Going on-line and playing BS:M I'm surprised how many different type of people buy this game. There are even new guys coming on-line in these days - I guess it was an XMAS present.

If EIDOS does not believe this title can be successful it won't be. They need to make a decision to back the product up properly.

LORD BLACKFIRE deserves a month of salary from EIDOS that he put together a “mini” marketing campaign for BS:P.

To all the elements he mentions I fully agree. It is so FUNNY that instead of managing an official “homepage” for the product there is a facebook page that holds the up-to-date information. ISN’T IT CRAZY?? (for me it is…)

Here is one more thing before somebody starts to feel sorry about EIDOS.
The following list is the “RELEASE-O-METER” from a very good PC GAMING magazine: PCGAMER. (I do not have the same for XBOX360)

Q1 2009
Bionic Commando - Capcom
Street Fighter IV - Capcom
Puzzle Quest: Galactrix -D3 Publisher
Battlefield Heroes – EA
Burnout Paradise - EA
Dragon Age: Origins - EA
The Godfather II - EA
The Sims 3 - EA
Battlestations: Pacific – Eidos
Raven Squad: Operation Hidden Dagger – Evolved Games
Blood Bowl - Focus Home Interactive
Dungeon Hero - Gamecock
Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 - Konami
Empire: Total War - Sega
The Agency - SOE
Demigod - Stardock
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – THQ
Anno 1404 – Ubisoft
Tom Clancy’s Endwar - Ubisoft
Tom Clancy’s HAWX - Ubisoft
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - Warner Bros. Interactive
Wanted - Warner Bros. Interactive

Notice the following:
1. There is only ONE!!! EIDOS title on the list for the entire Q1, 2009. This means that quite a lot of marketing effort could be focused on it!
2. Looking at the list you can see “big hit” products, however not all of them like that. This list should show EIDOS the quasi competitors for BS:P in terms of spending money on games. Compare their campaign vs. BS:P, compare their “population penetration” and so on…

If EIDOS won’t change it’s strategy for BS:P marketing the game will be a terribly good game but not a success in terms of financials.
A good start could be to recruit LORD BLACKFIRE as a part time marketing “chief”, if nothing else…

Yamamoto666
30th Dec 2008, 12:39
What can we do to get BSP noticed, I have been convincing my brother and a bunch of friends and whenever i go to a videogame store i ask everyone if they have heard of BSM/BSP, In most cases its a no, but some people actually like the idea of these games and some even bought BSM right there infront of me. So far the best "advertising" for BSP would have to be BSP trailer on xbox live, people still download BSM demo, and when they go to BSM on the game list then they now will see BSP and they might want to check it all out.
so i am thinking that we should start to spread the word, apostle style, sooner or later Edios will start advertising somewhere, but it starts with us people.

chip5541
30th Dec 2008, 14:23
Having it talked about on multiple podcasts would help.
http://www.avault.com/ for one plus the others listed above.

Kotaku also has a video podcast which would really help get the word out considering what kind of numbers it pulls in.

Magazines of course but also get some sort of tie-in with the military channel or maybe advertise during the upcoming mini series "The pacific" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/ depending on how close the series release date is to teh games.

LORD BLACKFIRE
30th Dec 2008, 16:00
Having it talked about on multiple podcasts would help.
http://www.avault.com/ for one plus the others listed above.

Kotaku also has a video podcast which would really help get the word out considering what kind of numbers it pulls in.

Magazines of course but also get some sort of tie-in with the military channel or maybe advertise during the upcoming mini series "The pacific" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/ depending on how close the series release date is to teh games.

Thanks Chip. That's the sort of stuff I'm hoping others will post here. :thumb:

I wish (but doubt it's possible) that notices of new videos and the demo (whenever it comes out) would pop up when BS:M is started on Xbox Live. That would help spread the word to current players.

I really hope the marketing people get a look at this thread and understand the spirit in which it's meant. Feel free to stick it under their door. ;)

chip5541
31st Dec 2008, 13:21
I prefer to smack them upside their head :D

and Thanks.

Frankly, my wife spent years and still does sales and marketing for some hotels even though she is no longer in that position. I bet she could come up with some great ideas.

LORD BLACKFIRE
3rd Jan 2009, 15:04
Just re-bumped into this from last year. It might explain some of our concerns with marketing for BS: Pacific.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167582

Layoffs at Eidos in Light of Warner Bros. Deal?
$170 million cash infusion traded for much of SCi's North American business.
By Mark Whiting, 04/25/2008

UPDATE: Inside sources have informed 1UP that Eidos's entire PR, marketing, and sales department has been laid off as part of the deal with Warner Bros. Eidos could not comment on the unsubstantiated rumors, but so far it seems its employees are conducting business as usual.
ORIGINAL STORY: It hasn't exactly been sunshine and roses lately for British publisher SCi. Last time we checked in, the beleaguered company was firing 25% of its staff and canceling games left and right in a bout of extreme cost-cutting measures designed to keep the company afloat.

There's more of the article at the link above but those two paragraphs sum it up pretty well. This probably explains why Gamestop shows Warner Brothers as the publisher, not Eidos, although Warner's site makes no mention of it (mostly kid friendly games there).

It3llig3nc3
3rd Jan 2009, 16:17
Opps. What a news.
I was a bit suspicious that EIDOS had trouble because of the economical crisis. However this angle is also a potential explanation of what is going on.
Regardless point is marketing around BS:P is weak. Let's hope the project won't be shut down completely. :D

LORD BLACKFIRE
5th Jan 2009, 00:38
Opps. What a news.
I was a bit suspicious that EIDOS had trouble because of the economical crisis. However this angle is also a potential explanation of what is going on.
Regardless point is marketing around BS:P is weak. Let's hope the project won't be shut down completely. :D

They just put up a notice over on Facebook that we should expect big things this week now that the holidays are over.

billyfromhill
5th Jan 2009, 01:27
They said the BSP website would be up "soon" three weeks ago. I don't have high hopes that this new "update" will be coming soon. I'll believe it when I see it.

It3llig3nc3
5th Jan 2009, 08:16
They just put up a notice over on Facebook that we should expect big things this week now that the holidays are over.

From now on I'd rather ask Warner than EIDOS about "Big Things". :D
I gave up on expectations. Period.

Waffen
5th Jan 2009, 23:12
I just don't get it. The marketing effort for Battlestations seems to be falling short already. There are simple and inexpensive things that could be done to promote the game that don't seem to be happening. :mad2:

Why is the latest developer diary video not up on all the various gaming sites? :scratch:

Maybe Eidos gave Gamespot an exclusive for a day or two but now the video is up at TeamXbox and even on YouTube.

However, does 1UP.com (which is also also EGM) have it? NO. :thud:
Does GamesRadar.com (also PC Gamer) have it? NO :thud:
Does GamePro.com have it? NO :thud:
Does OXMOnline.com have it? NO :thud:
Does SubSim.com have it? NO :thud:
Is it available on Xbox Live? NO :thud:

Aside from the video, did Eidos make Battlestations: Pacific available to 1UP.com or GamePro.com for their games of 2009 features? It doesn't look like it. :confused:

Why are articles and videos that do appear on various sites not posted via links on the main Battlestations: Pacific website? :confused:

Why is the Facebook area for Battlestations: Pacific more up-to-date than the main website? (but not completely - it's missing the recent GamesRadar.com PC preview article - better than the Gamespot write up) :confused:

It took me about 15 minutes to browse the websites mentioned above . . . and I'm not getting paid for it. It'd probably take just a bit longer to contact those websites about videos and previews/features. :poke:

That leads me to think that somebody isn't getting paid which bodes poorly for our game. :(

CHECK OUT GAMETRAILERS.COM THEY GOT EVERYTHING FOR ALL GAMES.:D

LORD BLACKFIRE
6th Jan 2009, 02:44
CHECK OUT GAMETRAILERS.COM THEY GOT EVERYTHING FOR ALL GAMES.:D

That's not the point. Eidos needs to get the word out to people who don't know about the game. Yeah, I know where to find stuff but the average Joe doesn't.

On another note, the latest (Feb. 2009) issue of PC Gamer has a preview of BS:Pacific. It's pretty much the same preview you can find over at GamesRadar.com (PC Gamer and GR are part of the same outfit and share materials) but I think there may be a few extra pics and a side bar or two that aren't on the website. Spring 2009 is the release date given.

It's a pretty positive preview.

SuperE
6th Jan 2009, 04:00
Based on what I have heard in other threads I dont know if there will be extensive makerting for BSP i think it will be get the game done and hope for the best

LORD BLACKFIRE
9th Jan 2009, 12:27
http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast/story.cgi?story_id=2545030

Not good. :hmm:

LONDON (SHARECAST) - Computer games maker Eidos has revised down its revenue forecasts and cautioned it may need to renegotiate bank finances after disappointing sales of its new Lara Croft game, Tomb Raider: Underworld.

Eidos, which changed its name from SCi Entertainment, now estimates full year revenue will now be in the range of £160m-£180m compared to previous guidance of £180m-£200m.

"We have passed our peak net debt position and we retain sufficient headroom within our committed banking facility but given revised profit expectations we may need to enter into discussions with our lending bank regarding our June 2009 covenants," it added.

LORD BLACKFIRE
9th Jan 2009, 12:35
Tip for Eidos in the future: don't drop a game in the midst of the holiday season surrounded by titles like Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Left4Dead, Call of Duty: W@W, Fallout 3, etc. esp. when the title is long in the tooth and attempting to reestablish itself after previous games have resulted in a loss of faith and interest in the game.

What were you thinking???? :scratch:

I sure hope our developers are doing well with BS:Pacific because I don't see them getting much cash to finance unexpected major bug fixing.

CaptHawkeye
9th Jan 2009, 15:45
Here's a better tip. Quit Beating a Dead Horse. Tomb Raider is over. It was fun back in the 90s...come to think, it was never fun. Anyway, the series has been so beaten to death at this point there's no reason to keep bringing it back. Even the fanhards won't buy it anymore. Redistribute development resources elsewhere and just let the outdated demographic die.

chip5541
9th Jan 2009, 19:56
Actually I believe TR:U sold about 1.5 million units which is nothing to sneeze at and shows it is far from a dead horse. Heck, it even garnered some pretty good reviews. It just didn't match what the number crunchers had predicted.

Waffen
9th Jan 2009, 21:34
i cant wait to see the commercail ( sorry about spelling )

CaptHawkeye
10th Jan 2009, 04:34
Actually I believe TR:U sold about 1.5 million units which is nothing to sneeze at and shows it is far from a dead horse. Heck, it even garnered some pretty good reviews. It just didn't match what the number crunchers had predicted.

Wow, so Eidos is complaining about a series that sold well? It just didn't sell "zomg uber millionz"? No wonder gaming is in such straights these days.

LORD BLACKFIRE
10th Jan 2009, 15:46
Wow, so Eidos is complaining about a series that sold well? It just didn't sell "zomg uber millionz"? No wonder gaming is in such straights these days.

You have to keep in mind that if Eidos weren't in debt then it wouldn't be that big of an issue. However, it has taken out huge loans in the past, both from banks and Warner (if I understand the situation correctly) and the earnings potential of its games are what it uses to get those loans.

If it says TR will make X to the bank to get a loan and then it only makes Y, less than X, then the bank (and others) will be less likely to give future loans.

It also means that Eidos may not be able to make its loan payments on schedule.

Think of it like this: you go to a bank to get a car loan and you say that you are making $40,000 a year. They give you a car loan and you agree to payments of $400/month for 3 years.

Six months later you get laid off and get a job at Gamestop for $18,000 a year. There's no way you can make those monthly $400 payments.

You've got two choices:

1. Go to the bank and renegotiate those loans and pray they'll cooperate.
2. Let them repossess the car.

That's sort of where Eidos is. If the bank thinks that it can make its money back quicker and/or more reliably by forcing Eidos to sell off its acquistions (that means its studios and intellectual properties like BS: Pacific and Tomb Raider) then it will. If it thinks that Eidos might be able to turn a profit and repay its loans, albeit over a longer period of time, then it will renegotiate.

LORD BLACKFIRE
11th Jan 2009, 15:52
This is the fruit of poor planning (release schedule, marketing, revenue forecasts, etc.): http://kotaku.com/5127993/lay-offs-strike-crystal-dynamics

Crystal Dynamics laid off 30 people this morning in the wake of underperforming Tomb Raider Underworld sales, reliable sources tell Kotaku.

The cuts were made across the board, we're told, to eliminate redundancy and give the studio tighter focus moving forward.

Earlier this week, UK publisher Eidos said that sales of the latest Tomb Raider title were below forecasts because of the U.S. economy.

The company put full year revenue forecast at somewhere between £180m and £200m, but the 2008 revenue results will actually fall between £160m and £180m. Eidos said it might have to discuss debt repayments with its lenders.

Let's hope those 30 employees can find a job in this poor economy (along with the 40 from 1UP.com & EGM that just got shafted).

It3llig3nc3
11th Jan 2009, 21:58
I wish I could get a hand on EIDOS' December 2008 financial report. The last one I have seen (fiscal year 2008 that was ended June 2008) showed a terrible situation both profit and cash flow wise.
EIDOS is walking on a razor's edge and if anything goes wrong they're done.
Their cash is negative and their costs are too high for their revenue. The only way it looks a bit better in the books is that they "manage" it in certain ways to make it look better...

I'm really really hoping that BS:P is going to get the attention it deserves.
It is very clear that EIDOS is terrible poor in planning and communication that is going to cost them a lot of sales at the end - they just do not realize it. Yet.

If you think back the BS:P communication strategy was to give each and every internet site some kind of "exclusive" material. They held back information even from the official site just to give it out to some gaming sites. I wonder why. Is it because it is a so exciting and popular product that an exclusive news is going to generate a lot of visits for the site? I do not think so. I believe it is more that they traded the information so even in the marketing it is not EIDOS who is really investing money...

I do not know how many copies sold EIDOS planned for BS:P, but without noise and loud campaign it won't happen. The sales figures even for BS:M is a secret still. There was no official statement about the sales figures. When I was on the beta test I asked the DEV team and they were not allowed to tell it.

EIDOS' biggest problem that it tries to save its face towards the gaming community and hide all the problems around their situation. It is the same as in many other aspect they exhibit: denial of issues and pretending that everything is on the right track and everything is under control.
This is a dangerous strategy as I'm sure some people at EIDOS even believes that it's true. And when the surprise comes... Hello...

LORD BLACKFIRE
12th Jan 2009, 03:06
I sure hope Eidos realizes that it needs to focus more on the non-traditional console crowd when it comes to advertising for the 360 and even PC.

It needs to hit some of those wargaming and history sites I mentioned.

Advertising in Gameinformer and GamePro and Official Xbox Magazine (EGM's gone - :::sheds a tear::: ) is fine but very redundant given Xbox Live's friends lists and video/demo market place. :scratch:

The console crowd will instantly know its out when they see their friends all playing it. That's the good thing about Live from a marketing viewpoint.

The PC crowd and the occassional gamer won't know about it instantly though.

Hell, they should be giving the History Channel's website exclusives and previews! :thumb:

Check it out: on the Military Channel's website (spin-off of History Channel) they let colleges advertise. Why not Eidos? http://military.history.com/

Also check this out: http://www.wargamer.com/
Use their search feature under coverage to look up articles on Call of Duty, Company of Heroes, Ghost Recon, Endwar, etc.

Then try looking up Midway. You won't find our game! :mad2:

Try looking up Pacific. Ditto! :mad2:

Let's go people! Step it up!

SuperE
15th Jan 2009, 06:05
I just looked at a bunch of 2009 anticipation list and I didn't see BSP on one of them
Just Cause 2 made it on a couple though which is good I guess for Eidos

LORD BLACKFIRE
15th Jan 2009, 13:19
I just looked at a bunch of 2009 anticipation list and I didn't see BSP on one of them
Just Cause 2 made it on a couple though which is good I guess for Eidos

I've looked at a ton of them. Nary a mention anywhere. Even from some sites/mags that have already done previews of BS:Pacific.

Eidos is not pushing this game. So sad.

I think it was GameRadar that did the top 100 games of 2009. It didn't even make that list.

Yamamoto666
15th Jan 2009, 16:37
hmmm, well if edios wont push it, we have to, idk if they will even have posters up in local game stores, i even offered to print out some cover art and hang it up, they said no, saying they might get some posters for it, but i now doubt it, so its up to us, just contact me at my email for ideas or just respond to this, im going to start a new thread maybe, totally devoted to advertising operations.

SUBSIM
11th Mar 2010, 00:41
Here are my suggestions. Most focus on places to run ads but some could be used to feature preview articles and/or videos. I'm also not wasting time on the more obvious and traditional places like G4, Gameinformer, Gamespot, IGN, etc.

I'm breaking these down into several categories based on what I suspect they will cost to buy ads from.

SubSim.com - this site is has been friendly to BS:Midway and BS:Pacific in the past, often posting links to articles I've emailed them. It focuses on naval warfare games and current naval events. http://www.subsim.com/nucleus/subsim_advertise.htm

Sorry to bump an old thread, since my PR contact Oonah left Eidos, I have not had any luck getting a contact. We tried to get through to their marketing people, total silence. Anyway, we reviewed the game. A bit light on the realism but a nice action game, enjoyed it.

Neal