PDA

View Full Version : The Man Who Laughs - The Joker Thread

RonnyGreen
24th Dec 2008, 21:29
As we all know, in this upcoming game Batman's primary antagonist will be The Joker.
I thought that we could use a thread in which we exclusively discuss how this iconic villain should be handled in Batman: Arkham Asylum.

$cAreCr0w
27th Dec 2008, 19:49
I just hope the Joker isn't Portrayed as Heath Ledger. i think he did a brilliant job at playing the joker, i really do. i just think the joker is the joker. not one person. he should always live on as the clown we all love, not die beacsue heath ledger did. No offence, because i really do like heath ledger :) RIP Heath x

P.s Can't wait for the game to come out
xxx

The_Hylden
27th Dec 2008, 20:51
Since Mark Hamill is voicing him and Paul Dini is writing him, he should be handled like a darker version of his iconic portrayal in The Animated Series. Like the writing of the graphic novels voiced by Mark Hamill. Pretty much great stuff right there.

Nagisawa Rei
27th Dec 2008, 21:03
Since Mark Hamill is voicing him and Paul Dini is writing him, he should be handled like a darker version of his iconic portrayal in The Animated Series. Like the writing of the graphic novels voiced by Mark Hamill. Pretty much great stuff right there.

Well, in the Batman Beyond Return of The Joker movie, he was pretty brutal. They just need to keep him the same, and it'll be good in my book.

Sylarhiro
28th Dec 2008, 13:05
if there are to do the Batman story justice, then the Joker needs to be exactly what he is in the comics, and was portrayed so brillantly in the Dark knight movie, he has to be the equal of batman, just as brutal, just as dangerous....and the one thing that nearly pushes Batman over that line he holds to

The Joker needs to be more then just a clown with an evil laugh, he is the truest Villain in any comics.....this needs to be shown in the game...and im hoping they dont make the game into a kids fest, watered down just so the kids can get it....id like a game for the comic fans for once, let the real Batman come to light

i want to see a Joker that makes the Batman go all out......because "some men, just want to watch the world burn!!"

The Lilac Pilgrim
1st Jan 2009, 05:11
I've always loved The Joker as a character. I watched Batman The Animated Series when I was little and usually switched it off if the Joker didn't appear.

I'm just hoping for a good representation of him in this game. I'm very rarely disappointed by the characterisations of The Joker, the only one that really annoyed me being in Hush (http://lilacpilgrim.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/winces-hush-chapter-seven-just-too-much/). And with Paul Dini in control of it and Mark Hamill in the role, my hopes are pretty high. They shouldn't be just in case, but they are.

Zsasz
2nd Jan 2009, 00:10
Those who've worked out the reference behind my username will have now realized that:

- I am an avid Batman fan

- I am an avid fan of the darker characters

Particularly The Joker. I loved the portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight, but if the Joker in this even utters the phrase "Why so Serious?" I will personally garrote Paul Dini with his own nasal hair.

It's not I didn't find the unique black comedy of the Joker enthralling, but I hate to see famous Quotes get milked. With this brand new Joker I hope to enjoy brand new dark and interesting quotes. I am rather disappointed with the fact they went back to the Joker's "Classic" look, I was rather fond of his new anarchic appearance, I particularly found the Glaswegian Smile a nice touch, then again after facial surgery the Joker featured in the comics also obtained a Glaswegian Smile.

That's my opinion, anyway.

The Lilac Pilgrim
2nd Jan 2009, 03:47
Those who've worked out the reference behind my username will have now realized that:

- I am an avid Batman fan

- I am an avid fan of the darker characters

Particularly The Joker. I loved the portrayal of The Joker in The Dark Knight, but if the Joker in this even utters the phrase "Why so Serious?" I will personally garrote Paul Dini with his own nasal hair.

Yes, we got that, thanks. I seriously doubt he'll so much as hint towards the phrase "Why So Serious?"

It's not I didn't find the unique black comedy of the Joker enthralling, but I hate to see famous Quotes get milked. With this brand new Joker I hope to enjoy brand new dark and interesting quotes. I am rather disappointed with the fact they went back to the Joker's "Classic" look, I was rather fond of his new anarchic appearance, I particularly found the Glaswegian Smile a nice touch, then again after facial surgery the Joker featured in the comics also obtained a Glaswegian Smile.

1- I'm from Glasgow
2- Just say "Glasgow Smile". That's what we call it anyway.

I'd find it incredibly odd for a Joker based off the comics to go spouting "Let's put a smile on that face!". Come to think of it, I'd find it weird for a Paul Dini version of the Joker to have anything 'old' to say. In fact, now the only thing I can think of him tributing again is The Laughing Fish, but I don't know a storyline that could use the phrase "For my fish, of course!"

Personally, I prefer his classic look. The look of anarchy fit the film - The Joker of The Dark Knight lives for it, after all. The chaotic colour scheme, but togetherness of the comic book/graphic novel Joker is terribly frightening in my opinion - someone who outwardly seems so conscious and collected is capable of chaotic thought processes and is highly unpredictable. When you expect anarchy, it loses its' touch, and for me, the dark comedy you grow to love with The Joker.

Not that I didn't love The Dark Knight. Seperately from the comics, it's the best portrayal of the Joker in a live-action film. The people behind me in the cinema were horrified that I laughed.

But of course, that's simply my own interpretation.

TheManWhoLaughs
3rd Jan 2009, 01:11
They should keep to the comic Joker, there's sooo much more to work with

Zsasz
3rd Jan 2009, 05:01
Yes, we got that, thanks. I seriously doubt he'll so much as hint towards the phrase "Why So Serious?"

1- I'm from Glasgow
2- Just say "Glasgow Smile". That's what we call it anyway.

I'd find it incredibly odd for a Joker based off the comics to go spouting "Let's put a smile on that face!". Come to think of it, I'd find it weird for a Paul Dini version of the Joker to have anything 'old' to say. In fact, now the only thing I can think of him tributing again is The Laughing Fish, but I don't know a storyline that could use the phrase "For my fish, of course!"

Personally, I prefer his classic look. The look of anarchy fit the film - The Joker of The Dark Knight lives for it, after all. The chaotic colour scheme, but togetherness of the comic book/graphic novel Joker is terribly frightening in my opinion - someone who outwardly seems so conscious and collected is capable of chaotic thought processes and is highly unpredictable. When you expect anarchy, it loses its' touch, and for me, the dark comedy you grow to love with The Joker.

Not that I didn't love The Dark Knight. Seperately from the comics, it's the best portrayal of the Joker in a live-action film. The people behind me in the cinema were horrified that I laughed.

But of course, that's simply my own interpretation.

I think you raise several excellent points, I admit that I see a more contrasting and frightening spin on The Joker when you don't EXPECT the unmatched chaos behind his face. Which is incidentally now once again caused by radiation, if his story is to be believed?

Do you think that they will take anything from Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth and put it into the game? I think that the interesting and horrific back story of the Asylum should be referenced once or twice, but I doubt it will have a large impact on the game what with it making a large number of the patients not suitable for children. Such as the pedophilia references with The Mad Hatter, and the fact that Two-Face can't actually function without his trademarked coin. But overall, on topic, The Joker. He was made so that he used provocative language and was more 'Feminine', as to call question to the Batman's sexuality.

What aspects of The Joker's various personalities do you think they will bring out? I doubt the Heath Ledger spin will be very prominent, what with the fact the Movies aren't canon to the comics. And while we're on that subject, do you think they'll ever set part of a movie in Arkham? And if they did, do you think they'd base it on the game at all?

So many questions, so little time. No wait, a lot of time. If the estimated time of creation is accurate to a few days to a week, we have 5 months to discuss these things.

HystericFreak
6th Jan 2009, 08:08
Ahh, my beloved Mistah J! The Clown Prince I adore is the hilarious, vicious, quick witted, brutal, manipulative, foppish but undeniably alpha-male who is just... well he's perfectly the Joker, isn't he?

While the Heath version was wonderful, and there were some very Joker-esque moments, he was a different Joker, as are most incarnations. I look forward to this reincarnation, but I think he's in safe hands; Dini and Hamill will do him justice.

I hope. =P I have been proved wrong on many an occaision!

RabidEasterBunny
7th Jan 2009, 15:46
I think they should draw some things from A Serious House on a Serious Earth. I love his line,
"She drew me a beautiful house. She drew it with this pencil. The one i've just sharpened. Open your eyes wide pearl!"
Then a scream, then laughter.
It's the only time I ever flinched while reading.

swan15
8th Jan 2009, 07:37
what would be more scarier/epic to fight against?

lets just say Ledger was alive, and rockasteady instead based the joker on the nolan joker "Ledger Joker" which was voiced by Heath Ledger aswell, or would you's prefer a dark "Mark Hamill Joker"?

(and i do no dat the game is based on the comics not the film, but since this is a joker thread, im just curious)

Drazar
8th Jan 2009, 13:49

lets just say Ledger was alive, and rockasteady instead based the joker on the nolan joker "Ledger Joker" which was voiced by Heath Ledger aswell, or would you's prefer a dark "Mark Hamill Joker"?

(and i do no dat the game is based on the comics not the film, but since this is a joker thread, im just curious)

Heath Ledger's Joker is based from Batman #1, Arkham Asylum a serious house on serious earth and The Killing Joke basicly, but he would lack some funny one-liners and so forth.

Mark Hamill's Joker is way too censored but this game can bring out a very deadly and dangerous Joker, and Mark's voice is _the_ Joker for many of the fans.

RonnyGreen
27th Jan 2009, 18:12
I'd love to see some of his weapons appear in the game.
For instance, the exploding cigar that will blow you to pieces. Just like in The Jokers Five Way Revenge.
Imagine the guards having a smoke to celebrate bringing him in and all of a sudden they explode.
Things like that would be brilliant to see.

k1ll1ng j0k3
27th Jan 2009, 18:40

I loved what Ledger did with The Joker, but I find Mark Hamill voicing The Joker iconic, maybe because I grew up watching Batman the animated series. Now that we saw the darker nature of this game I can only imagine how far Hamill will push his character, more violent and darker than on the kids friendly animated series. Now about the way the designed the character , I enjoyed Nolan’s anarchic point of view but I think that The Joker’s ego goes beyond that, at least in the animated series and comics The Joker is portrayed as a performer, an artist if you will and his master pieces are his crimes, doesn’t that make him the more dangerous? Because not only that passion for hurting people that we saw on The Dark Knight is there, but certain perfectionism as well, the perfectionism and love that only true artists have for their work.

HystericFreak
27th Jan 2009, 21:31
I think that Hamill will do a good job mainly because he knows the character so well, and is able to work his little quirks that we all know to a T.

While the Joker in the Animated Series and early comics was toned down a little, I think his ego, twisted mind, charm and lack of any sort of human empathy were very clear, which made him all the more frightening. Though he was all of this in the movies, he wasn't the same Joker, and he did lack a few of the little 'pearls' (heh heh) of wit that makes him what he is.

I did adore his performance though, and I think it's always good to see a different translation of the same character. I think here again we will have another translation, this time bringing the elements of the Animated Series to a new, more adult standard. It'll be interesting!

RonnyGreen
28th Jan 2009, 05:50
I think that Hamill will do a good job mainly because he knows the character so well, and is able to work his little quirks that we all know to a T.

While the Joker in the Animated Series and early comics was toned down a little, I think his ego, twisted mind, charm and lack of any sort of human empathy were very clear, which made him all the more frightening. Though he was all of this in the movies, he wasn't the same Joker, and he did lack a few of the little 'pearls' (heh heh) of wit that makes him what he is.

I did adore his performance though, and I think it's always good to see a different translation of the same character. I think here again we will have another translation, this time bringing the elements of the Animated Series to a new, more adult standard. It'll be interesting!

Yeah, Hamill is absolutely brilliant. I don't sell Ledger short though, make-up or not, he was extremely faithful to the comic book version of the character. Face it, The Joker has always been a terrorist. I don't see why the direction Nolan took is seen as extremely new. It's totally faithful to the source material.
Anyways, I wonder what theme they'll give Joker in this game. It won't be [i]Why So Serious?[i] but we could see his waltz music from the 1989 film.

Wigglez
28th Jan 2009, 12:50
Personally, I would like to see a mixture of The Dark Knight and The Killing Joke's Joker. Like, The Dark Knight's Joker was devious enough to have his men kill each other after they did their job because less men, more money and then drove off in a school bus that joined a crew of other school buses. That was awsome. The Killing Joke's Joker was... Face it. He was just crazy as all hell.

Drazar
28th Jan 2009, 15:28
But Dark Knight Joker was essentually The Killing Joke Joker. :p Alot of people in these forums don't seem to read comics (Not trying to belittle you guys) but Joker is essantually from Batman #1, The Killing Joke and Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum. :)

http://i44.tinypic.com/s1j9g3.jpg

Now, as we know the writer is Paul Dini. We can easily accept something of an uncensored Joker from the TAS. :p

HystericFreak
28th Jan 2009, 21:39
Hrm, he was and yet he was still his own, though I think ultimately it comes down opinion. Though the Arkham Aslyum (yes I have in fact read the three comics you mentioned =P ) Joker was very similar to the Heath one, and the 'Joker' comic was even more similar to the Heath one.

Still, it is every writers thing to put a small twist on their Jokers, to leave their mark on the fanbase; they are all a tiny bit different from eachother, though their similarities are such that you are able to blanket then and say these ones follow this pattern, and these ones follow this pattern. We all see him a little differently from eachother, and love different bits of him.

My favourite would have to be the Dini Joker, though this is not belitting my adoration for The Killing Joke or Arkham Asylum, or even the Dark Knight. Love those things, I'd be mad not to. They are just a different take, though they all remain faithful to the bits that make the Joker the Joker; his madness, charm, ruthlessness and his intelligence. I still covet them like they are holy relics, ahaha. =P

Speaking of which, must go watch TDK now... *joy*