PDA

View Full Version : SDK Poll

WildcatPhoenix
23rd Dec 2008, 21:23
I know this question has come up often on these forums (a sentence which is probably fodder for "DELETE ME, MODERATOR," lol) but as a long-time modder, I for one am desperately hoping for a fully functional SDK to be released with Deus Ex 3.

Now I know what the inevitable responses from the naysayers will be.

1. It's a new engine, not the slightly-modified Unreal engine used in DX1. Eidos Montreal might not want to reveal their bag of tricks to the public.

2. The original game didn't come with an SDK until the Game of the Year edition.

3. How would this feature be incorporated into console versions of the game?

4. I'd rather the developers pour their time into making the best version of the actual game rather than waste development time/space on any kind of SDK.

And my rebuttal:

1. True, but with the release of the new Tomb Raider already long before DX3, EM won't have as much to hide by the time Deus releases next year. Plus, giving your fans the tools to create their own mods increases the longevity of your game by 500% (a statistic I shamelessly made up, but you get the point).

2. True again, but I think that many games could see increased sales (especially those in established "universes" like Half Life or Deus Ex) by giving fans the ability to use their own creativity.

3. Simple, it wouldn't. Maybe a simpler level editor could be included, but what I'm looking for would admittedly be PC-only.

4. This is another fairly valid argument, but I'm not looking for the snazziest interface on the planet nor particularly streamlined tools. Let's face it- those of us that actually dedicate the time to developing a mod for a video game (a process which can turn into a considerable pain in the a**) won't shy away from complicated interfaces if it means being able to put our own stamp on the DX mod scene. Besides, UE 1 and 2 were far from the sexiest map editing tools around, but the great modders in the DX community were able to put them to great use.

So anyway, I for one hope very much to see some form of SDK included in the PC release of Deus Ex 3. I feel this toolkit would allow players to continue enjoying the game for many many years after its release and could lead to exciting new ways to expand the DX experience (look at what Portal did for HL2...and need I mention Counter-Strike?)

I'm interested to see how many people on these boards feel the same/differently. Soooo, let's take a poll, shall we? :thumb:

-Wildcat

GmanPro
23rd Dec 2008, 21:37
I want to at least try to do something with the engine. I mean, I'm really busy with my other projects, but we are talking tow years from now. Might just make a map for multiplayer or whatever... just for fun.

Blade_hunter
23rd Dec 2008, 23:53
I think the SDK is necessary perhaps not at the first game release but it can be a separate file of integrated, even if it's not released at the game release for example one year later It can be good
The engine is ready the developing team have one ready big task done

And eventually if the game sucks for some players, and if the fan community make some mods they like what's the problem with that ?
some guy's bought unreal tournament only for the realistic mods, and not for the game itself.
It can happend for the next DX, I personally don't think the future game will become a bad game, but I think it won't be good as the first DX, but much better than DX 2
Perhaps I'm wrong, I hope this time to think wrong.

I think everyone have a different vision of the new game, I got my own, the others have their own and the dev team have their own.

But one thing the SDK can give a second breath to the game, unlike DX 2 there is only a new texture pack for DX 2 and DX 1 have a lot of cool mods some are DX universe based, others are more futuristic, others are more realistic.

An other thing is about multiplayer even if the game have only 2 - 3 mods a mod team can add interesting stuff and eventually make a coop mod

I just think this SDK is really needed because this can sightly improve the game

J.CDenton
24th Dec 2008, 10:56
Hell yeah I'd love to get the SDK. I'm still trying to get along with DX1 SDK and I miss in a way a SDK for DX : IW. I expect the game to be awesome so once I'll be done with it I'll certainly appreciate to have a SDK to enhance the experience.

spm1138
24th Dec 2008, 15:03
Modders are your friend.

Look at Valve.

GmanPro
24th Dec 2008, 19:11
^^ Look at Bethesda lol

K^2
24th Dec 2008, 22:10
Me and a few other people are taking apart the Crystal Dynamics engine used in Tomb Raider Underworld. We are making great progress. I have a model extractor nearly finished, including textures and bones. I'll be finishing it up and working on an importer. One of the other guys who made great progress has managed to build a level extractor. Just the graphics for now, but it shows promise.

By the time DX3 is released, we'll know file formats down to tiny details. When the game or the demo is out, we'll be able to look for changes. New tools will be available most likely within days of DX3 release that will allow, at very least, to retexture the environment and to modify character and prop models. With some luck, level manipulations will be possible as well.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Dec 2008, 22:33
I know this question has come up often on these forums (a sentence which is probably fodder for "DELETE ME, MODERATOR," lol)....

The topic does have its own thread, but a poll has never been made - so no worries, you're safe from deletion. ;)

I voted for option 1, obviously. Bring it on! :cool: :D

spm1138
25th Dec 2008, 13:59
Me and a few other people are taking apart the Crystal Dynamics engine used in Tomb Raider Underworld. We are making great progress. I have a model extractor nearly finished, including textures and bones. I'll be finishing it up and working on an importer. One of the other guys who made great progress has managed to build a level extractor. Just the graphics for now, but it shows promise.

By the time DX3 is released, we'll know file formats down to tiny details. When the game or the demo is out, we'll be able to look for changes. New tools will be available most likely within days of DX3 release that will allow, at very least, to retexture the environment and to modify character and prop models. With some luck, level manipulations will be possible as well.

K^2 is a true hero of the revolution o7

Spiffmeister
5th Jan 2009, 10:25
It should be illegal to release a game without an SDK. :p

Think of all the awesome and messed up mods!

Lilith
11th Jan 2009, 22:05
I think, what is important is the core game kicking ass.

I'm a huge believer in that mods can make a game. I play World of Warcraft after all.

BUT, I think that this is a game where to a lot of people the story is as if not far more important then the game play. So provided the game play isn't a pain they'll be happy.
Others want a rounded experience, so I'm more for seeing public reaction before SDK gets looked at. If after a month or two gamer reaction is great then I'd say it should be opened up, it gives them the potential to keep people playing single player.

Honestly I'm still very, very 'ehhhh' about MP for this game. I'm sure its a good idea just, 'eeeeeeeh'.

So a mod community for maps and skins means that with proper balance support MP could work really well. I think that other then maybe one or two levels I doubt much from SP will port to MP.

As for a year, I don't think that would be a good idea. Too long, it'd be far too much an attempt to inject life. Stuff like that looks good on paper, but the fact is most communities feel insulted by that kind of thing. But you want it to be usable, and not loose any time on the core game.

Release it when its done, as much as I want it NOW, I will wait.
I have no idea how long a SDK would take to put together. Two weeks or something you might as well just make a download, but a week, there might be that left over. Whom knows, depends on how much they stress test I guess.