PDA

View Full Version : OMG this just hit me in the head

NK007
23rd Dec 2008, 21:19
I was rereading the FACTS THREAD (what Rene said) and as I scrolled down, two of these were in the screen at the same time:

AUTO HEALTH
Deus Ex 3 will use auto-health regeneration. This is a departure from the original but the industry as a whole has grown up and changed quite a bit in the last eight years and the designers didn’t want people exploring levels just for health packs or having to reload to an old save game because they messed up a scenario and couldn’t advance. I know some people actually liked the exact scenario I just described but this is a decision the team made.

COVER SYSTEM
The design has been updated to utilize a cover system should you choose to engage it. As the game is still 1st person, it’s only if you press a key when up against a wall that the view changes to a 3rd person perspective. As soon as you move away from the wall, the game returns to 1st person automatically.
So it's just an option if you want to play that way. If you like the good 'ol DX1 style, you don't have to engage the cover system if you don't want to, so you'll see even less of the contextual 3rd person elements. You can just as easily walk up to that same wall in 1st person and never see the 3rd person cover. It’s just an option if you want to see the way Adam looks with augmentations you’ve chosen throughout the game.

I just put this in my head and it smote me like a lightning bolt in a beautiful, rainy day: Will DX 3 be built around the Gears of War concept :eek: :eek: :eek: ????

I can just imagine this happening far too easily. I'm going into a state of shock here! Why would the developers implement both of these things if they weren't gonna make the entirety of the combat look like GoW? I see entire levels filled with nothing but cover! Wall to wall cover from fire :thud: :thud:

Oh snap! *takes Valium*

Has anyone else thought about this?

Spyhopping
23rd Dec 2008, 21:33
I think I've seen people discussing things like this before, but I can't comment on gears of war because I don't know much about it. I played a friends copy for a few minutes and wasn't too keen.
I haven't allowed any of the gameplay changes like this to overly concern me. If the rest is done well, I think that the essence of DX could easily shine through any changes in gameplay style for better or worse.

Larington
23rd Dec 2008, 22:20
I can understand your concerns, but as far as I can tell, Gears of War spends the entire time 3rd person, DX3 will only go 3rd person at very specific instances (GTAIV has shooting around walls and that game doesn't suffer for it, though I personally found Gears of War tedious to play, but then, I'm a PC gamer and for us that seems to be the norm) the rest of the time it will be first person, unlike Gears (Thank god).

singularity
23rd Dec 2008, 23:19
Yeah, it seems pretty obvious by this point that we are looking at a game in the first person perspective. Rene has been pretty clear that there will be stealth, hacking and the likes, very much unlike Gears' "all-action, no compromises" approach. I can see something along the lines of Rainbow Six Vegas, where the game snaps to third person when you get into cover (but would prefer something along the lines of Chronicles of Rid**** Escape From Butcher Bay -- FP view constantly, but swith to third when doing something acrobatic... )

I highly doubt DX3 will be anything like gears. Many games are switching to a regenerating health system -- makes it so that managing your health bar is less of a chore, and a cover system is practically the norm today in terms of shoot-outs and action scenes. All of this tells me that Alex will be fragile -- after a few hits you will need to find a place to rest in order to survive, and to make it through fire fights alive, you will need to use cover.

NK007
23rd Dec 2008, 23:25
Chronicles of Rid**** Escape From Butcher Bay --

Haha this is absolutely hilarious.

Ok thanks I'm calm now.

Still hate auto-regen (guess that goes without saying...)

AaronJ
24th Dec 2008, 00:43
Has anyone else thought about this?

It keeps me up at night.

Blade_hunter
24th Dec 2008, 00:47
You aren't the first to complain about those things
about the cover system, since we doesn't change the view no problem if it's like, R6 vegas, hem ...

For the health regen some players proposed many options to satisfy each kind of gamers and I did the same, I think... the rest is on the developers' hands.

gamer0004
24th Dec 2008, 10:44
I just put this in my head and it smote me like a lightning bolt in a beautiful, rainy day: Will DX 3 be built around the Gears of War concept :eek: :eek: :eek: ????

Just look at the concept art/screenshots bro'. GoW3 is in the making (Gears of Deus? Call of Deus? Deus ex War (wait... this one actually sounds plausible...)?).

Necros
24th Dec 2008, 11:06
^^ & "Will DX 3 be built around the Gears of War concept?"
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z149/deshields538/picard-no-facepalm.jpg

NK007
24th Dec 2008, 11:38
http://ui17.gamespot.com/1616/dvdrewinderzw81_2.jpg

Necros
24th Dec 2008, 13:45
:rolleyes: Oh boy... I mean, seriously, you think DX3 will be like a Gears of War game? Did you only read those two things? :mad2: Check out the other stuff too and then think about it. Besides, one thing that upset the fans has already been changed in some way. And the cover system is a good idea, makes sense if your opponents' eyes are augmented too, you can't hide in the shadows if they can see in the dark. And the best part, you don't have to use it! If you don't like it, just crouch down and problem solved. Maybe the lean function will be there too.

"Great" to see you guys jumping to conclusions based on the very little info we have... :mad2:

spm1138
24th Dec 2008, 14:57
Use the ******* search function.

There's eleventy hundred pages about this already.

NK007
24th Dec 2008, 16:44
:rolleyes: Oh boy... I mean, seriously, you think DX3 will be like a Gears of War game? Did you only read those two things? :mad2: Check out the other stuff too and then think about it. Besides, one thing that upset the fans has already been changed in some way. And the cover system is a good idea, makes sense if your opponents' eyes are augmented too, you can't hide in the shadows if they can see in the dark. And the best part, you don't have to use it! If you don't like it, just crouch down and problem solved. Maybe the lean function will be there too.

"Great" to see you guys jumping to conclusions based on the very little info we have... :mad2:

Well, I said I assumed, it was a possibility, I wasn't sure, I was making an assumption, I was pondering. Either way, I said I scrolled down, those two subjects appeared there consecutively and I just thought "hmmm... this is fishy. How could this work other than GoW style?!". So I gather you don't think it will be similiar?

Psychomorph
24th Dec 2008, 19:00
Hmm, the "gears of war" cover system for DX3 is (bad) news to me.

Why not to go the Killzone2 way of a 1st person cover system, it looks and works so nice.

gamer0004
24th Dec 2008, 21:49

Please... You do understand we are not saying DX3 will be an exact copy of Gow? :hmm: But they are converting DX into something which looks horribly much like GoW. Generic sci-fi style in combination with huge weapons and badass looking gear...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Dec 2008, 22:21
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe... in which thread should this one go? :scratch:

Cover system thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=79054

Health thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=80744

I'm undecided and maybe if I pick just one, I will get a complaint. I know its impossible to please everyone. :p
So, I'll lock this but please feel free to continue discussion in the existing thread of your choice. ;)