PDA

View Full Version : purchasing intel

Digitaldruid
17th Dec 2008, 17:30
(no I'm not referring to the processor :rasp: ) how about buying information from bums,thugs and even organized gangs. it would help to know of vulnerabilities in hostile areas/facilities,make us aware of secret passages, or even help us buy our way into the facility instead of going in guns blazing (hint: versalife !!!!)

Jerion
17th Dec 2008, 17:45
(no I'm not referring to the processor :rasp: ) how about buying information from bums,thugs and even organized gangs. it would help to know of vulnerabilities in hostile areas/facilities,make us aware of secret passages, or even help us buy our way into the facility instead of going in guns blazing (hint: versalife !!!!)

I always thought it was odd in DX that you couldn't really barter with any of the MJ12 people except Mr. Hundley and the occasional mechanic. Oh well; by the end of one playthrough I had over 10000 credits. I would have preferred to buy my way into Area 51 instead of blasting stuff open. :p

K^2
17th Dec 2008, 19:26
Maybe EM should make it possible to hire some mercs. No, I don't expect them to be any use in combat, but they might be good at finding ambushes and clearing mines. Why should only the bad guys get to utilize cannon fodder?

Yargo
17th Dec 2008, 19:40
clearing mines. Why should only the bad guys get to utilize cannon fodder?

:lol: :lol: :lmao:

GmanPro
17th Dec 2008, 22:20
They did have that guy in Hong kong who thought that you were Paul and tried to give you some intel. And I thought the Thief 1 and 2 system where you could buy hints and tips before starting a mission was really cool. Usually they were pretty dumb and useless tips... BUT you could write up some cool situations where knowing something in advance could really help you accomplish your objectives.

spm1138
17th Dec 2008, 23:03
The SOCOM games on Playstation 2 had a neat feature in their SP.

If you were sneaky you could do optional extra stuff, like overhearing conversations or grabbing intel items.

I always thought it was odd in DX that you couldn't really barter with any of the MJ12 people except Mr. Hundley and the occasional mechanic.

But MJ12 is a conspiracy. They're all true believers :D

CentraSpike
18th Dec 2008, 18:31
In regards to obtaining intel I think this should be made into a more integral part of the game and there should be many ways to do it. For example it would be cool if Adam Jensens mobile phone (assuming he has one) served as an intel tool. Rather than simply walking up to a guy to buy intel you could also obtain contact numbers for people willing to supply information. However every time you use your phone a timed limit appears indicatng the time it will take an enemy agency to triangulate Jensens position and send a hit squad after him. The more skilled you become in this technology the better the encryption level on your phone (either through points or augs) meaning you have longer to speak to an informant and the information you obtain is of higher value.

The mobile phone could also be used for other things the more skilled you become such as recieving signals from bugs you plant in offices, phones, for detonating explosives that have cctv capabilities etc. I think this would be a interesting addition to the core gameplay and would serve in creating a sense of danger as well as making the gameplay more immersive.

InGroove2
18th Dec 2008, 18:36
a few anonymous tips would be sweet... like you just get a message to do something... or seek someone out. You can do it or not and that affects everything including what happens when you meet the person who gave you the tip.

spm1138
18th Dec 2008, 18:56
Buddies/contacts calling you like in Far Cry 2 might be neato.

Do stuff for people and they help you out later.

It could be a reward for optional objectives.

DX had this anyway a few places. Like the sailor getting you through the first layer of security at the docks.

Adam seems like the kind of guy who would have contacts.

K^2
18th Dec 2008, 19:19
As long as it isn't done like it was in GTA IV.

GmanPro
18th Dec 2008, 19:31
I'd rather have a DX1 style info link. Instead of a phone or PDA that is.

K^2
18th Dec 2008, 21:34
On the topic of info-link and more mechanical augmentations.

- Huh? Do you hear that noise?
- Yes, it seems to be coming from behind that crate over there.

It was a very bad time for Adam to receive a fax about his Christmas bonus via info-link.

Spyhopping
18th Dec 2008, 22:52
It was daft how your actions could always be observed by others to some extent through your infolink on DX. It was one of my first thoughts when you leave UNATCO- that it should be turned off. Well, perhaps turning off the killswitch was first priority, but y'know what I mean

NK007
19th Dec 2008, 19:36
In regards to obtaining intel I think this should be made into a more integral part of the game and there should be many ways to do it. For example it would be cool if Adam Jensens mobile phone (assuming he has one) served as an intel tool. Rather than simply walking up to a guy to buy intel you could also obtain contact numbers for people willing to supply information. However every time you use your phone a timed limit appears indicatng the time it will take an enemy agency to triangulate Jensens position and send a hit squad after him. The more skilled you become in this technology the better the encryption level on your phone (either through points or augs) meaning you have longer to speak to an informant and the information you obtain is of higher value.

The mobile phone could also be used for other things the more skilled you become such as recieving signals from bugs you plant in offices, phones, for detonating explosives that have cctv capabilities etc. I think this would be a interesting addition to the core gameplay and would serve in creating a sense of danger as well as making the gameplay more immersive.

Eidos HEAR THIS MAN.

Radox Redux
19th Dec 2008, 20:06
Lets not forget about after a mission either. Think Hitman: Blood Money when you can bribe people off after a mission to lower your notoriaty, or perhaps buy back some evidence. You could also pay insiders to make item drops inside a location, whether it be a weapon, or a password datacube or something. Money was definitely one of the few underused elements in DX games. Since it's a prequel, why not use it as an advantage and have different pre-credit currencies? Considered 'market control' is an element of the game it could be interesting.

On the mobile phone: The infolink was apparantly fairly new tech in DX1 so I wouldn't be surprised to find a moby on DX3, we could use it for other stuff, such as checking e-mails or hacking from afar, or maybe even ringing another phone to distract guards... or y'no, rig up some kind of exposive and dial it in.:D