PDA

View Full Version : totally too late idea

serene_chaos
16th Dec 2008, 14:11
Hey all.
As the title suggests, im mentioning this idea way too late for it to make it into DX3, i think. in fact a lot of people will probably agree that it wouldn't suit a Deus Ex game, anyway. but hear me out.

I was thinking about using cheats to load a level from the original deus ex, and playing it from scratch, having to find weapons and items along the way, as i have done before. i was also thinking that when i played oblivion, after finishing the main quest, i would lock away all my those awesome weapons and armour that i worked hard for to go start a life of crime with no items (the mod that turns household items into usable weapons felt awesome at this point, but swords were so easy to come by in that game the mod was pretty much redundant.) I figure its more fun to scrounge for weapons than it is to pull your sacred epic mace out every time.

So my point is this: There needs to be an RPG, with extremely limited inventory space, or none at all, or in which your character's inventory is periodically lost for one reason or another. Perhaps police search you all the time, or something. I think this would be awesome and i don't care if you disagree, because I believe you are wrong.

spm1138
16th Dec 2008, 14:23
Blah. That's an old FPS game trick and it's kinda annoying, especially if you're tricking out your guns.

But!

Locking away your gear is an interesting concept.

Maybe you could have to do some stuff without any weapons or visible weapons?

And have storage like the safehouses in FC2?

serene_chaos
16th Dec 2008, 14:59
but has it been done in an RPG before? I'm just imagining some fast paced type game, where no items have any real meaning, and instead the focus is on your skill set rather than your pimped guns. I do recognise that that's what generic FPSs are all about, though.

GmanPro
16th Dec 2008, 15:07
It's been done before to an extent. Baldur's Gate 2 starts with the player losing all of his equipment and party members and you have to start from scratch again. But that was a one time only type of deal. Deus Ex also had a similar thing happen. It was short lived but it was fun. When you are captured and thrown into that MJ12 prison, and when you get out of the cell you quickly grab a baton and a prod charger, and proceed to search for the rest of your equipment. KotOR, both 1 and 2, has a level like this too. It would be cool to see some situations like that in DX3.

imported_van_HellSing
16th Dec 2008, 16:23
Oh God no, not the Metroid setup. :hmm:

This was especially jarring in Assassin's creed, where being degraded not only takes away your gear (that's understandable), but also your abilities. :mad2:

GmanPro
16th Dec 2008, 16:36
I don't want them to take away your augs or skills, just your equipment. Because once you get the Dragon Sword there really isn't any reason to use the baton or the combat knife in DX1. I mean, even BioShock had a scene where you had to lose all of your guns for a little while.

Half Life was the best though. When you go into that room and the lights turn out and you get jumped by a couple of recon marines. When you wake up in that processing plant/ star wars style garbage compactor I was like "awesome".

Lol, maybe there should be a part in DX3 where you lose your ability to spontaneously regenerate your health. :whistle:

Elsnare
16th Dec 2008, 18:23
Mj12 base *cough* armory *cough*

rhalibus
16th Dec 2008, 19:55
When you are captured and thrown into that MJ12 prison, and when you get out of the cell you quickly grab a baton and a prod charger, and proceed to search for the rest of your equipment.

That was one of the best rewards in DX! After exploring a huge secret complex you were able to get all your toys back, along with a fully stocked armory to reload them. And it wasn't even a primary objective. :)

WhatsHisFace
16th Dec 2008, 20:45
Bad "too late" idea.

Yerky
16th Dec 2008, 21:05
That would be awful. When I play games that give me the choice between weapons and something else, I go with the weapons. What you are describing just makes things other than weapons more powerful. If you don't want to play with cool weapons don't use them. When I played and beat Bioshock I rarely used anything other than my guns. I spent most of my money on ammo and never spent any on EVE hypos. When you play Deus Ex 3 go ahead and leave your gear behind but there doesn't need "to be an RPG, with extremely limited inventory space, or none at all, or in which your character's inventory is periodically lost for one reason or another."

Mindmute
17th Dec 2008, 00:21
Lol, maybe there should be a part in DX3 where you lose your ability to spontaneously regenerate your health. :whistle:

I agree, specifically I still think it should be the part right after the intro screen... The one that ends just before the ending credits ;)

Romeo
17th Dec 2008, 00:26
Hey all.
As the title suggests, im mentioning this idea way too late for it to make it into DX3, i think. in fact a lot of people will probably agree that it wouldn't suit a Deus Ex game, anyway. but hear me out.

I was thinking about using cheats to load a level from the original deus ex, and playing it from scratch, having to find weapons and items along the way, as i have done before. i was also thinking that when i played oblivion, after finishing the main quest, i would lock away all my those awesome weapons and armour that i worked hard for to go start a life of crime with no items (the mod that turns household items into usable weapons felt awesome at this point, but swords were so easy to come by in that game the mod was pretty much redundant.) I figure its more fun to scrounge for weapons than it is to pull your sacred epic mace out every time.

So my point is this: There needs to be an RPG, with extremely limited inventory space, or none at all, or in which your character's inventory is periodically lost for one reason or another. Perhaps police search you all the time, or something. I think this would be awesome and i don't care if you disagree, because I believe you are wrong.
Although I'm sure someone can quote me as saying "This is not a democracy", never-the-less you cannot believe we're all wrong. Besides, seeing as how people invest into making their weapons more powerful, it would frustrate users to no extent taking them away.

GmanPro
17th Dec 2008, 02:08
It worked well in all of the games I listed above. And there are others that did it well also. So long as you get your stuff back after awhile, then it's really cool. The MJ12 base was one of my favorite parts of DX1.

WhatsHisFace
17th Dec 2008, 02:28
Games conveniently taking your weapons away to give you a mid-game challenge is just bad game design.

Except when Half-Life and Deus Ex did it.

GmanPro
17th Dec 2008, 03:28
And pretty much every other game that did it too :thumbsup:

K^2
17th Dec 2008, 06:09
Games conveniently taking your weapons away to give you a mid-game challenge is just bad game design.

So basically, if a good game does it, it is a good game. If a bad game does it, it is a bad game. That is entirely precise and entirely useless. Have you considered getting a degree in pure mathematics?

Romeo
17th Dec 2008, 06:20
It worked well in all of the games I listed above. And there are others that did it well also. So long as you get your stuff back after awhile, then it's really cool. The MJ12 base was one of my favorite parts of DX1.
Yes, but only if you get your stuff back. Based upon the original post, that doesn't seem to be what's being asked for.

Double-standard much? lol

So basically, if a good game does it, it is a good game. If a bad game does it, it is a bad game. That is entirely precise and entirely useless. Have you considered getting a degree in pure mathematics?
Hehe. Play nice now, brother.

WhatsHisFace
17th Dec 2008, 07:11
No, because when Duke Nukem 3D did it, it was horrible. But that was a good game.

GmanPro
17th Dec 2008, 08:13
Whatever, I think it's a good idea. If it fits into the storyline, and serves to make the gameplay more challenging and rewarding, then I'm all for it.