PDA

View Full Version : Installation of the game: how to dress it up?

jordan_a
12th Dec 2008, 01:56
Hi,

I just reinstalled Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) and they did something a bit different for the installation:

-A questionnaire of New York with a peaceful music, that helps waiting for the process to finish.

I also like what they did on Operation Flashpoint with the politicians' speeches on the radio during the cold war.

Any other original examples or ideas for DX3?

MaxxQ1
12th Dec 2008, 02:02
I can't really think of any examples at the moment, but I do know that I like to have something to look at or read while installing.

Oh, wait - I just thought of one: the installation of Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance has a nice history of the MechWars that made for interesting reading. Interesting to me anyway, since prior to that, I had no real knowledge of the Clans, and their wars and factions. It actually helped me to understand the world I was about to immerse myself in.

imported_van_HellSing
12th Dec 2008, 02:05
Best installation ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioyLQ2O6yc)

spm1138
12th Dec 2008, 02:05
Good game that. I still didn't finish it.

Hmmm.

They could give you a dossier of files on the gameworld.

Augs, weapons, organisations?

Hah. It could be Adam, on the train to work, reading through one of his professional journals :D

Unstoppable
12th Dec 2008, 07:25
C and C had a great installation. I'd like the skills to be described maybe or posters/newspapers of what's going on in the timeline. Something creative and unique while drawing from the past.

3nails4you
12th Dec 2008, 08:00
I think that a quick overview of the previous games through picturesque paintings would be awesome. Like how they did with Spider-man 2 in the opening credits with all the pictures from previous movies.

GmanPro
12th Dec 2008, 08:19
It would be sweet to see some awesome artwork during the installation. Just a small taste of cyberpunk to whet my appetite. :cool: Maybe they could throw in a pic of a news article that shows some major current event during the DX3 time line.

Red
12th Dec 2008, 12:10
Good thing that Vista has an interesting feature of shutting up (muting, that is) applications independently so that I don't have to listen to the stupid "quasi-interactive" installers. They really piss me off.

I mean seriously, installation should be a simple window with a progress bar, nice and quiet with an option of nice cool minimizing to the taskbar so that I can do other stuff while waiting.

Gizmostuff
12th Dec 2008, 14:23
Good thing that Vista has an interesting feature of shutting up (muting, that is) applications independently so that I don't have to listen to the stupid "quasi-interactive" installers. They really piss me off.

I mean seriously, installation should be a simple window with a progress bar, nice and quiet with an option of nice cool minimizing to the taskbar so that I can do other stuff while waiting.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that! They should try something different to speed up the process of installation though. Why not a installation off a flash drive/card. I'm willing to spend the extra $$$ to have it on there. I always scratch DVD's/CDs to the point of being unusable anyway so this would be a great alternative.

When it comes to gaming info, I'd rather be in game reading about it then in an installation.

K^2
14th Dec 2008, 06:05
Yeah, but a little non-committing slide show wouldn't hurt. Some screenshots or game art. Not a lot of them. Nothing I wouldn't mind missing. But something that makes staring at the progress bar a little more entertaining if I chose to stick around.

Necros
14th Dec 2008, 07:11
posters/newspapers of what's going on in the timeline
I'd love that! :thumb: Though those should be avalaible early in the game too for those who didn't pay attention during the installation. :)

Freddo
15th Dec 2008, 00:10
As long the installer doesn't have any kind of sound or force itself to fullscreen so it will interfere while I listen to Winamp and read the manual, surf the net during the installation or whatever, I don't really care.

The Thief 2 installation had some neat gameplay tips and stuff, though, it was cool. I also like the idea that it show some newspaper stuff or info about the gameworld. Just keep the installation quiet.

DXeXodus
15th Dec 2008, 11:35
I don't mind how the installation screen looks. So long as the actual game is awesome! :cool:

But I agree. No sound during installation please. That's just annoying.

Digitaldruid
15th Dec 2008, 11:40
having a BSOD during the installation wont be a bad idea. think of it as a echelon 4 attempting to infiltrate your PC.

imported_van_HellSing
15th Dec 2008, 12:23
...And the Xbox 360 would induce a RROD. Excellent!

InGroove2
15th Dec 2008, 18:07
the following would be awesome, but not at all worth... anything...

but have the installation present you with some sort of staged attack...

like you're watching the progress bar at the bottom and it's made to look like you're installing something on a computer within the game world, whatever... and it pretends to fail and crash, only it's really the begining of the game and the conspiracy starts in... wtf just happened?

i dunno. just spit balling here.

Alai
16th Dec 2008, 03:46
I remember a game where while installing, they let me able to play a simple game of Pong!

I think some sort of interactivity while installing a game is the best. How about the ability to set option settings(control remap, volume set, brightness adjustment, etc) during install? It'll surely speed up what I normally go through in most games I purchase.

Necros
16th Dec 2008, 11:34
No sound during installation please.
Make it an option instead. :) I like to have as many options as possible in a game (in the menus and while playing too). Too bad you never have any options during installation, everything is forced on you.

Mr. Perfect
17th Dec 2008, 02:28
I remember a game where while installing, they let me able to play a simple game of Pong!

Was that the Commander Keen series? I remember being able to play Pong in that game by looking at your wristwatch, but I didn't see the installation.

Bloodwolf806
17th Dec 2008, 02:42
It could have a news report on emerging trends in biotech or something.

rokstrombo
17th Dec 2008, 17:13
I don't really want to see anything special for the installer because I probably won't be watching it. Preferably, the installer won't alter the registry at all and I can just delete the game directory to uninstall it.

I've read that the GTA IV install is 15 GB. It would take one hell of an installer for me to be interested in waiting around for that!

K^2
17th Dec 2008, 19:29
Win a point, get 10% installed. Lose a point, get these 10% taken back. Go into negative score, and it starts getting rid of other data off your HDD. I bet that will get people motivated.

nathanj
18th Dec 2008, 19:20
game designers have limited resources and time. i would much rather have them focused on the game itself than wasting time on "totally rad" installations. a couple of days wasted on this would be a couple of days not doing bug testing.

Alai
19th Dec 2008, 02:51
Actually text by text short tutorial of the game could be very useful.

Necros
20th Dec 2008, 08:13
Win a point, get 10% installed. Lose a point, get these 10% taken back. Go into negative score, and it starts getting rid of other data off your HDD. I bet that will get people motivated.
:lol:

Radox Redux
20th Dec 2008, 17:11
I gotta fairly cool idea about this: What if we start out as a dot and then it slows and eventually reveals itself to be the fetus from the trailer, we literally see it grow up from nothing, all the way up to being a fully grown human. If the story allows, it could be AJ, and the installation screen could run straight into character appearance selection.

MaxxQ1
20th Dec 2008, 20:36
I gotta fairly cool idea about this: What if we start out as a dot and then it slows and eventually reveals itself to be the fetus from the trailer, we literally see it grow up from nothing, all the way up to being a fully grown human. If the story allows, it could be AJ, and the installation screen could run straight into character appearance selection.

TBH, that's actually an intriguing notion, although I'm not really sure if there will be character appearance selection in the game (at least, I don't recall anything being mentioned about it. I may be wrong, though).

Just so I understand, you're thinking of using the growth of the fetus as a substitute for the normal loading bar, correct?