PDA

View Full Version : Saved games RANT

mizlplix
10th Dec 2008, 13:55
I am a "Challenged" (Handicapped) American.

After spending $42.00 for a long awaited game, I discover that the "saved games" feature does NOT save your game. They just save it at certain check points.

This is totally worthless to "challenged" gamers like me because we struggle to get every jump, turn and puzzle completed. I wind up getting frustrated by missing a jump/grab or something and logging off for a day or so. We do not need extra frustration in our lives.

I find the feel of the controlls to be "Buggy" at best. By that I mean that they lag and are not repeatable. (When I push a button, It does not always do the same thing)

For me, this game is a "LEMON". MIZ

tiger
10th Dec 2008, 14:20
Hello, Miz. . .
I am "challenged" also, with a half-claw right hand and a slightly folded left one.
So when I started repeatly missing three-key actions, I created my own AutoHotKeys for TRA.
(Just imagine one key that does an action, almost perfectly, every time.) ;)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=690397#post690397

(Btw, I cannot play TRU because of that Shader Mode 3 requirement.)
But if I could, I might help both of us and work-out these problems, hopefully?

One direct way to help, might be with TRU Fly?
Then a simple lagging-problem, that caused a fall, might be simply flown to, from an earlier check point?
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3195216&postcount=62

... Jim ...

GoranAgar
10th Dec 2008, 14:57
There is auto save and manual save.

Whenever you pass a checkpoint it auto saves and you can resume from that point on when you die or restart the game.

When you want to keep a save game you have to manually save in one of the 24 save game spots. Then you can return to an earlier save game any time you want.

mizlplix
14th Dec 2008, 22:58
Thanks to both of you. Yes I am working on hotkeys....LOL

NO, I do NOT have any manual saves. I do a save, (it acts normally) and when I go back to load...it is not there and I load the most recent auto save.

Although I have a good system (9850 quad core, 6GB RAM, VISTA 64, 4 raptors in RAID 0, 850W PSU, 8800GT vid card with 3GB VRAM) Iit still runs glitchy and crashes sometimes when loading or during a cut scene.

I'm working on it....Havent given up. MIZ

tiger
15th Dec 2008, 12:55
MIZ, except for having the "share" your graphics card, you've got about three very nice systems in one package, mate! :thumbsup:
(Didn't Core Design go after their AoD's failing. . . So, what's Crystal Dynamic's excuse? Not enough money?)
And btw, I can only look at the TRU movies. But to my eyes, our lovely Lara looks more like a scampering cockroach, now ?

GoranAgar
15th Dec 2008, 13:08
Are you logged in with Admin rights?
Have you tried assigning the TRU.exe process to only one core?
Please post the results of your DXDiag.

I'm working on it....Havent given up. MIZ
That is the spirit. :thumbsup:

Eidos Support
15th Dec 2008, 15:55
After spending $42.00 for a long awaited game, I discover that the "saved games" feature does NOT save your game. They just save it at certain check points

Could you possibly explain this a bit more what you mean?

When you save (manual save) it will save your progress as far as what puzzles you have completed, what treasures and relics or other items you have picked up but it does not save your exact location which is the same as Anniversary and Legend too if memory serves me right.

Whenever you load a saved game, manual or auto, it will always take Lara back to the last checkpoint. However, I did notice with Underworld that there does seem to be more frequent checkpoints than Anniversary had.

To cover points whereby the saves themselves may not be saving fully. This is the full proceedure to save a game on PC (just to try and rule things out):

Press ESC to bring up menu
Highlight Save Game with mouse cursor and click the Left-Mouse button
On the Right-hand side of the wheel, Choose an empty slot, highlight it with the mouse and click the Left-Mouse button.
Enter a name for your saved game and press Return
Click OK to the "Save Succesful" message
Save slot chosen previously should now have a peice of paper and a number inside a circle on right hand side of the screen

Now if you return to the game and choose Load Game from the menu, is the manual save still there or is it gone? Did it even show up as described?

Also, can you tell me if you have moved your Documents folder or if your Windows is not installed to the C:\ but another drive in your system?

And as GoranAgar above asked, are you logged in as an admin on your PC? Further to that, is this the same account that was used to install the game?

Hopefully this has covered most angles of why your having problems with the saves and we can get to the heart of the matter. :)

Vampmaster
15th Dec 2008, 23:07
It sounds like mizlplix is refering to the game saves being overwritten when he/she doesn't want them to. The only way around that I can think of would be to copy the saves to a different folder before moving on to the next checkpoint.

Astara
15th Dec 2008, 23:57
Sounds like they are complaining about save-games saving relic + treasure + location at last 'ding' vs. same exact location and game-state (like may have to rekill monsters or resolve a puzzle or rewatch a cutscene....etc).

That's one of those things that are really a "feature" -- to make sure various difficult situations aren't too easily broken apart.

Has its pluses and minuses... but am used to the system now after TRL+TRA...

You only paid $42? Dang! :D

jazzspaz
3rd Jan 2009, 05:59
There is auto save and manual save.

Whenever you pass a checkpoint it auto saves and you can resume from that point on when you die or restart the game.

When you want to keep a save game you have to manually save in one of the 24 save game spots. Then you can return to an earlier save game any time you want.

I hve a slightly similiar question. I started TRU on our laptop and want to move my saved games to th desktop. Where do I find them?