PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with Thief 3 right now.

Haelent
4th Dec 2008, 22:02
Now, I'm having a very weird problem with Thief: DS. I recently received the game from a friend as a gift over Steam, because I've been wanting it for a while. I played the demo to make sure my system could run the game fine, and whaddya know? I could run the demo. Not exactly without FPS lag, but still playable. Now, I downloaded Thief DS and was all excited that I finally had the game. I launched it, set my graphics options, and clicked start game. I can listen to Garrett's briefing and all, check my gear, etc., but when I click Start Mission, it freezes on the loading screen. NO loading is even accomplished, and the game after about 20 seconds crashes to Windows and gives me the "Thief 3 has encountered a problem and needs to close" crap. :mad2: Now, I've tried updating my drivers, updating my directX, messing around with graphics settings, even tried killing the t3.exe process. Nothing has worked, and I'm rather frustrated. I was looking forward to playing the Cradle, but that's postponed until I can get the damn game to work. Any ideas, anyone? :scratch: I don't understand why I could run the demo but not the actual game >_<
System Specs:
Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Compaq Presario AMD Athlon XP 3000+
2.1 Ghz, 1 gig ram.
Realtek Audio devices.
GeForce FX 5200 graphics card
Now I know that my graphics card could be a problem, but how could it run the demo but not the actual game?

jtr7
5th Dec 2008, 00:19
Did you set the affinity of the T3.exe and T3Main.exe to a single processor, right-clicking on those processes from the task manager?:)

Haelent
5th Dec 2008, 00:21
Umm. I don't know how to do that, haha... I'm a newbie when it comes to computer tuning. How do I change that? It's worth a try, if it can allow me to play Thief DS.

Haelent
5th Dec 2008, 00:31
All I see when I right click the processes is End Process, End Process Tree, Debug, and Set Priority... o_0? Where do I set this 'affinity'?

Peter_Smith
5th Dec 2008, 21:07
If you have a dual / quad processor CPU or an Intel processor that supports hyperthreading (and hyperthreading is enabled in the BIOS), then there should be a Set Affinity choice in that same window. You can see if you have such a processor or if hyperthreading is enabled by looking at the Performance Tab. If it shows two or more graphs, then you have 2 or more CPUs or equivalent. If not, then setting affinity is not an option for your configuration, and this is a moot point. In that case T3 will be running on only one CPU.

Looking at your computer specs for the first time, I think now that an Athlon XP does not have dual cores. Sorry for wasting your time.

Haelent
6th Dec 2008, 14:35
Yeah, I have a single processor, not multiple... I came to that realization the other day. Does anyone have any other possible solutions? Anything I could try? I'm willing to try just about anything to get this game to work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Peter_Smith
6th Dec 2008, 19:14
I suggest you search for "steam" here and at TTLG. Steam versions of Thief are known to be unreliable, but maybe someone has found a fix. If not, I suggest trying to get your money back. Please report your results here.

Haelent
8th Dec 2008, 22:20
While I may not get my money back by doing this, I have found a very simple solution to all my not-being-able-to-play-Thief 3 problems. All you have to do is go to www.gametap.com and sign up for a totally free (unless you want to start a subscription to gain access to other games, but that's pointless for just Thief) account. Then, download the launcher, and download Thief off of this Gametap program. Now, for those of you unfamiliar with Gametap, it is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT legal! Thief just happens to be one of the games you don't have to pay to play on Gametap. If you're frustrated with Steam not letting you play Thief 3, worry no more. Get Gametap, which takes about 5 minutes at 90 K/B per second. Unlike Steam's version of TDS, which is 2 gigs, Gametap's is only 800 megs to download. Gametap worked like a charm, and I'm making my way through to the Cradle as we speak! I can hardly wait to be scared (bleep)less. :thumb: For anyone else having really annoying problems, try this, please! Give Thief one more chance.