PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to build a sequel on IW after DX3

foxberg
4th Dec 2008, 21:17
A bit off topic, I believe. But this just appeared to me that not all is lost regarding the logical sequel to the series after the DX3 release. DX4 (if there is one) could start in the future, after IW or even AT THE SAME TIME. All they have to do is to have the main character of DX4 to wake up after the nightmare that he/she just had (events of IW) and take it from there. Then you can explain everything, uni-ammo, etc.

This is just a thought. A bit crazy, but you never know, right?

P.S.: If they decide to pursue my idea I WILL NOT claim the "original idea infringement" BS.

Yargo
4th Dec 2008, 21:23
A bit off topic, I believe. But this just appeared to me that not all is lost regarding the logical sequel to the series after the DX3 release. DX4 (if there is one) could start in the future, after IW or even AT THE SAME TIME. All they have to do is to have the main character of DX4 to wake up after the nightmare that he/she just had (events of IW) and take it from there. Then you can explain everything, uni-ammo, etc.

P.S.: If they decide to pursue my idea I WILL NOT claim the "original idea infringement" BS.

It could shrug off invisible war by saying it was a simulation program. :D

foxberg
4th Dec 2008, 21:32
Yeah, kind of along the same lines.

K^2
4th Dec 2008, 21:52
I'd like them to keep IW as canon. For all the problems with it, there is some continuity there, and I'm glad IW exists. They should find other ways to get around uni ammo.

jc_lemon_lime
4th Dec 2008, 21:55

i don't think it's crazy at all. more than 200 years passes between DX2's endings and its epiloges; which is more than enough time for another game.

picture this: DX4 opens roughly a six months after IW. JC denton's nanite cloud has murged the entire US east coast with helios. the iluminati and templars are realing from the loss of their leadership, and the in-fighting that has caused. Alex Denton has vanished. and the omar want storm new york to seize helios and use him to expand their have-mind globaly.

you would play as a tarsus escapee, whose talents are in great demand since the four sided war has broken out, and your services are for sale to the highest bidder. you could choose to stick with one side the entire game, be a double or tripple agent, or just play as a lone wolf.

the omar would offer the most powerful augs, the templars would have the best guns, the iluminati would have the most money, and helios would give the best intel.

i dont see any reason in the world why this wouldn't work. get on it, Eidos!

K^2
4th Dec 2008, 22:01
i don't think it's crazy at all. more than 200 years passes between DX2's endings and its epiloges; which is more than enough time for another game.
Some of the endings imply time passing between IW ending and the epilogue. Not all of them. In fact, the Illuminati ending epilogue shows characters from IW, so it could only be a few years. And Helios epilogue talks about global changes as it shows release of nanite cloud, implying immediate results.

spm1138
4th Dec 2008, 22:34
They should probably just pretend IW never came out and come up with an original story.

They could do a full series reboot with DX3.

There's plenty you can do with the setting without recycling the slightly turgid characters from IW.

ewanlaing
5th Dec 2008, 02:40
I like IW a lot, but I think it's also a suitable end to the Deus Ex storyline. No need to take it any further.

jc_lemon_lime
5th Dec 2008, 04:30
Some of the endings imply time passing between IW ending and the epilogue. Not all of them. In fact, the Illuminati ending epilogue shows characters from IW, so it could only be a few years. And Helios epilogue talks about global changes as it shows release of nanite cloud, implying immediate results.

that isn't necessarialy true: the illuminati ending shows a restored global satellite network, and massively changed city-scapes; implying that a considerable amout of time has passed. and a person high up in the illuminati's ranks could easily use augs and biomods to extend his life. and the helios ending is vauge when it comes to how much time has gone by.

K^2
5th Dec 2008, 04:59
The cities have already existed. We never visit any places with tall buildings, but they exist. Look at Chicago when it is being destroyed. Look at skylines in Seattle. Ophelia satellite already exists as well, because you are asked to upload Aquinas specs to Ophelia. So there is no reason to think that more than a decade or two has passed with Illuminati ending.

Helios ending is somewhat vague, sure, but the Liberty island is exactly the same as before. I can't see a lot of time passing there either.

I do agree that there is room to maneuver, though. Even if we are talking about a decade or two, there is still time to insert a sequel and change history.

pha
5th Dec 2008, 09:51
IW needs to be discarded for a healthy and coherent sequel. Merging the endings of the original DX was an utter failure.

Daeda
5th Dec 2008, 10:00
Well, since I've had years to think through some possible ending material, I'd like to present some ideas...

This was probably a glitch in the game, but when I played the Illuminati ending, I had to kill JC before I could activate the statue. Immediately after that JC resurrected and it was implied that Helios had abandoned him. This is where I'd see the opening towards a new story. Even if this was a glitch, I's plausable enough to use.

Imagine Alex decided to go for the money. He (let us assume the male version of Alex is the standard) seemed like the person who preferred power over idealism. But he never killed JC the second time. Instead, Alex would become, as promised, the new leader of the Illuminati. They saw value in old JC however, and this is how we can bring JC back as a main character, while not telling the player what happened on liberty island.

Obviously, JC is worth a huge amount of money, being the second prototype for nano augs. The Illuminati brainwash him and possibly even reconstruct his appearance. With Ophelia back online and the Templars weaker than ever, the Illuminati is now the single most powerfull organisation in the world. Untill... Ophelia goes rogue.

Since she controls everything on the entire world, Ophelia is the key to a dystopian future. The gets, without the player knowing, hacked by Helios, who after abandoning JC uploaded himself back into the Aquinas network. The hacked Ophelia helps JC escape the lab he's been in for the last, say, five years (though he doesnt remember anything before that time) and tries to manipulate him for her own cause.

I dont know how the story should advance from here, but i do think it's a good starting point. The player can continue the story of JC, who is now finally free from helios again. The Illuminati is controlled by Alex, offering interesting options. Alex and Helios can be the first two sides, with some form of resistance and possibly the Templars as other sides. The world will be more modern while at the same time be in chaos. We can give the Illuminati and Ophelia/Helios entire freedom so make things go bad.

Other bad choices from IW can be easily taken down. Universal ammo could be destroyed after that one weapons factory (cant remember its name, but it made the weapons) was destroyed by Templars. Also, since the Illuminati has been fighting wars with resistance/templars, some illegal weapons using less futuristic forms of ammo could easily be introduced. Any other problem could be tackled this way just as easily.

So, in recap:

- Alex chooses Illuminati ending, becomes leader
- Helios abandons JC
- JC survives, but becomes toy of Illuminati
- Ophelia brings great power to the Illuminati
- Shadow (world) war has happened between Illuminati and other sides
- Helios hacks Ophelia
- Ophelios starts taking control, wants JC

Story can open from here, giving the chronological DX3 enough freedom to not be hold back.

Mindmute
5th Dec 2008, 10:10
The hacked Ophelia helps JC escape the lab he's been in for the last, say, five years (though he doesnt remember anything before that time) and tries to manipulate him for her own cause.

This part here reminds me too much of Marathon and Durandal...

Honestly though I think that your idea could work better than pretending DX:IW never existed, but it would take a lot of finesse to pull it off without ending up with a horrible storyline to follow.
It could possibly be a tad too futuristic for me aswell if it's set that far ahead in time.

pha
5th Dec 2008, 10:18
Great first post Daeda.

Your justification to destroy universal ammo is a bit cheesy but so was Ion Storm's excuse to introduce it.:p

Daeda
5th Dec 2008, 10:27
Well everybody feel free to add/remove/improve parts of my original plan.. I'm not a professional (fiction) writer, so I do agree that some parts may sound a bit cheesy etc.. but I do think that my version of what happened on Liberty Island is one of the few ways to actually have an ending.. The omar ending is set too far of and will not work, the Templar ending can not be used in combination with following the Dentons. Only the Illuminati and JC ending are in a relatively close future.. But since JC's ending places all of the Dentons in control of Helios, I dont see that as an option ether. That leaves Illuminati, though you'll have to use some creative freedom with the fate of JC (since Ion Storm did the same thing with DX1 ending I dont see that as a problem) and have to think out some new history to prevent that nothing would've changed since the beginning of IW (else Alex's actions would've had no consequences, which still makes IW pointless canon)

Anyway, personally I'd prefer the player to control JC, though he shouldnt know in the beginning.. similarly, I think Ophelia and Helios can work as an element to drive the story forward. Lastly, I think it would be awesome if you could meet and possibly kill an "evil" Alex Denton.

Spyhopping
5th Dec 2008, 10:29
If only Invisible War had not combined all the endings. I always wanted to see what would happen with Tong's ending standing alone from DX1. In IW Tong just puts his decision down to a mistake. Everything would be chaos, and good potential for a desperate situation where things are being pieced back together

imported_van_HellSing
5th Dec 2008, 10:35
If only Invisible War had not combined all the endings. I always wanted to see what would happen with Tong's ending standing alone from DX1.

Oh just play Fallout.

Necros
6th Dec 2008, 04:48
I'd like them to keep IW as canon. For all the problems with it, there is some continuity there, and I'm glad IW exists. They should find other ways to get around uni ammo.
What he said. :thumbsup: I liked DX: IW too.

Romeo
6th Dec 2008, 08:25
We already have quite a few topics in place regarding this particular topic, please, try this one as a start.

LOCKDOWN!