PDA

View Full Version : Overheating; Firmware

spm1138
4th Dec 2008, 18:45
So as I sit here looking at my PC's temperature gauge having just flashed the firmware of the DVD drive on my laptop it occurs to me that you could use these concepts for DX3.

Mechanical augs must generate heat. The longer and harder (ooh matron) you run them the more of a heat dissipation issue you'd have.

I was also thinking that the mechanical gubbins only do whatever with control software. It'd be interesting if you could get modifiable control software for them to give you some versatility for augs.

Taking DX1 as an example, how different would the gubbins for the speed aug be to the gubbins for the silent running aug?

You could use heat as a balancing mechanism for this (e.g. the firmware replacement would let you disable a limitation put there for safety reasons).

Like Playstations, mod chips for your cybernetics could be a grey/black market thing.

GmanPro
4th Dec 2008, 18:52
I'm gonna get water cooled augs and over clock my whole rig :cool:

MaxxQ1
4th Dec 2008, 22:38
I'm gonna get water cooled augs and over clock my whole rig :cool:

Water cooled? That's so 2005.

Try Oil-immersion cooling:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/hardcorepc_reactor

:rasp:

spm1138
4th Dec 2008, 22:47
There you go. If you had a liquid cooling system you'd need... liquid coolant.

If you got shot you could leak?

Overheating could boil off more coolant.

imported_van_HellSing
4th Dec 2008, 22:52
By the way, I'd be hesitant to go swimming with mechanical augs! Leak-->ZAP!

K^2
4th Dec 2008, 23:17
If you got shot you could leak?
- Um... Adam... You're dripping hydraulic fluid on the rug.
- It's coolant, actually.
- Yeah, whatever. It's disgusting. Stop it.

Spyhopping
4th Dec 2008, 23:22
- Um... Adam... You're dripping hydraulic fluid on the rug.
- It's coolant, actually.
- Yeah, whatever. It's disgusting. Stop it.

Funny as hell :D
Really made me laugh

ZylonBane
4th Dec 2008, 23:35
I was also thinking that the mechanical gubbins only do whatever with control software. It'd be interesting if you could get modifiable control software for them to give you some versatility for augs.

Taking DX1 as an example, how different would the gubbins for the speed aug be to the gubbins for the silent running aug?

You could use heat as a balancing mechanism for this (e.g. the firmware replacement would let you disable a limitation put there for safety reasons).

Deus Ex 3.0 Killer App.

Yeah, no thanks.

K^2
5th Dec 2008, 02:33
Deus Ex 3.0 Killer App.

Yeah, no thanks.
None of that stuff implies heavy system requirements.

ZylonBane
5th Dec 2008, 03:30
None of that stuff implies heavy system requirements.
Whoooosh... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_2.0_Killer_App)

spm1138
5th Dec 2008, 03:36
The game I was thinking of was System Shock with it's HUD upgrades and configurable weapons actually :D

SemiAnonymous
5th Dec 2008, 04:15
It would be an interesting idea. Perhaps a good way to have super awesome augmentations, but prevent massive overuse of them. Go ahead and use speed aug, but after a set amount of time, you start receiving fire damage.

But if we miss out on it, eh, no big loss here.

K^2
5th Dec 2008, 05:04
Whoooosh... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tron_2.0_Killer_App)
Wooosh indeed. I still don't get the connection though. Would appreciate enlightenment.