PDA

View Full Version : Will The Next Tomb Raider Be Made By Ubisoft?

ski2bbad
3rd Dec 2008, 20:11
While browsing gaming news today . . . I found this little gem:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201837.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;7

I don't know about you, but if Ubisoft does buy EIDOS one thing could be for sure . . . . The camera problems with TR will be a thing of the past. I play a lot of Splinter Cell (Ubisoft) and aside from being a great game series, I love their camera.

What are your thoughts, concerns, and general take on Ubisoft buying EIDOS?

LaraCroftRox
3rd Dec 2008, 20:16
While browsing gaming news today . . . I found this little gem:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201837.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;7

I don't know about you, but if Ubisoft does buy EIDOS one thing could be for sure . . . . The camera problems with TR will be a thing of the past. I play a lot of Splinter Cell (Ubisoft) and aside from being a great game series, I love their camera.

What are your thoughts, concerns, and general take on Ubisoft buying EIDOS?

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=83825 ;)

But to anwser : I don't want TR to move on from Crystal. Thier only just begining......:)

josh1122
3rd Dec 2008, 20:17
My worst nightmare would come to life

_Love2Raid_
3rd Dec 2008, 20:19
I like the direction CD is heading with TR (TRU is great in my opinion, however there is still room for improvement), but I must admit: Splinter Cell's camera is very good!

As long as this wasn't the last TR-game ever, that's my biggest fear right now! :eek:

ski2bbad
3rd Dec 2008, 20:33
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=83825 ;)

Hey sorry about that LCR . . . I totally missed your post :(

There is so much to read in the forums that I often miss articles that others have already posted. My apologies :D

LaraCroftRox
3rd Dec 2008, 21:10
Hey sorry about that LCR . . . I totally missed your post :(

There is so much to read in the forums that I often miss articles that others have already posted. My apologies :D

:lol: :D That's fine. ;) Can't tell you how many times I've done it. :lol:

baultista
3rd Dec 2008, 21:27
It sounds like Eidos is going to be bought out by a larger publisher. That doesn't necessarily mean that the game will change developers.

josh1122
3rd Dec 2008, 21:35
It sounds like Eidos is going to be bought out by a larger publisher. That doesn't necessarily mean that the game will change developers.

Thats is very true. But the new publisher would have say in what gets made and what changes need to be made,hence why im scared of Ubisoft/EA getting it :(

but as bad i hate both of them, i hope to god its not EA, at least with Ubisoft theres a tiny chance it ,Tomb Raider,wouldnt get screwed up but with EA, it would no doubt 100% get screwed up

so if i had to choose, id say pray for Ubisoft to get it, if this rumor is even true

Spong
3rd Dec 2008, 21:37

Well yes, it does, technically. It'll change to whoever buys Eidos. The people within the dev team may not change, but what they produce is determined by their bosses. If Ubisoft or EA decide they want Lara to have three legs, then their wish has to be granted.

I agree with what Josh says when it comes to preference of EA or Ubisoft though. EA sucks.

baultista
3rd Dec 2008, 21:55
Well yes, it does, technically. It'll change to whoever buys Eidos. The people within the dev team may not change, but what they produce is determined by their bosses. If Ubisoft or EA decide they want Lara to have three legs, then their wish has to be granted.

I agree with what Josh says when it comes to preference of EA or Ubisoft though. EA sucks.

:confused:

Well no, it doesn't, technically. The game developer and the game publisher are separate. EA doesn't develop all of the games it publishes. EA published The Orange Box for Valve, but had absolutely nothing to do with the development of the games in the package (except for the PS3 verison, becuase Valve licensed the development of that version to an EA studio).

Tomb Raider is IP of Eidos and as such yes, the new owners of Eidos can choose to change the direction of the series or switch the developer... but it doesn't mean that these things will happen. The next Tomb Raider may be published by Ubisoft, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Crystal Dynamics won't be working on it.

Keep in mind that Crystal Dynamics is a subsidiary of Eidos... thus the company that purchases Eidos would also have control over CD.

josh1122
3rd Dec 2008, 21:56
thus the company that purchases Eidos would also have control over CD.

Which is extremely scary :( :(

Spong
3rd Dec 2008, 21:58
Keep in mind that Crystal Dynamics is a subsidiary of Eidos... thus the company that purchases Eidos would also have control over CD.

Which is what I said.

Resy
4th Dec 2008, 05:58
Ubisoft would do an AWESOME job.

I remember first time I played the Sands Of Time, I thought to myself. Why can't Tomb Raider be like this? Why can't Lara do this cool stuff?

I don't think that Ubisoft would be a bad choice at all. I love prince of persia and assassin's creed. epic stories, beautiful levels. They would do a good job with TR.

josh1122
4th Dec 2008, 06:22

I remember first time I played the Sands Of Time, I thought to myself. Why can't Tomb Raider be like this? Why can't Lara do this cool stuff?

I don't think that Ubisoft would be a bad choice at all. I love prince of persia and assassin's creed. epic stories, beautiful levels. They would do a good job with TR.

hmm i dont know..maybe.. Assassins Creed was rather repetitive and got dull fast and as long as its not like the new PoP also, it might be good.

I don't know, just have the sinking feeling that if either Ubi or EA gets TR,especially EA, you've seen the last of any puzzles and exploration in this series.

but think were jumping the gun,until something officially gets announced, were good :D

Spong
4th Dec 2008, 08:58

Although I didn't necessarily make the Lara comparisons myself, I can't deny PoP more than filled the gap between AoD and Legend. All three titles really were something special :)

NightRain'06
6th Dec 2008, 08:38
1. After myself and a lot of others' experience with Assassin's Creed issues like occasionally Not Loading, Freezing, and Noticeable Screen Tears, I do not want UbiSoft to produce TR.

In AC, they seemed to have dropped the ball on COMPLETING QUALITY TESTING Before releasing the game and gave the gamers the middle finger. Granted, they released a patch for both console versions. Still, there have been reports on Ubi's forums where it didn't appease everyone's experiences on both. Some said the patch did not make a difference at all or just cured one or a two issues and not the rest. Therefore, I won't even purchase AC 2.

With Prince of Persia series, I'm sure they wanted to honor the original 1989 creation by doing it justice and providing care as in completing quality testing.

I wonder why couldn't [ more like didn't ] they invest the time to provide the same treatment for their own Assassin's Creed.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the game. But honestly, due to these reasons, shame on them and I do not trust them.

Speaking with grains of salt.....
IF Ubi buys out Eidos, I SERIOUSLY hope they shape up by re-learning to Complete Quality Testing before releasing a game. Better yet, Eidos MUST teach them !! TR is their baby and I do not want to ditch it when it's in the hands of another company who can't remember what fully focusing and caring about a game means !

2. IF EA buys out Eidos, I'll be concise and just say the running sad but true "joke" ~ "Hello, annually-released-slightly-tweaked-but-still-makes-no-difference-and-will-upset-me TR....."
Plus, like Josh stated, my most feared gaming Nightmare will come true. :mad2:

So if that still confuses anyone, I'm saying No to EA and cautiously leaning towards UbiSoft. They'll probably provide Crystal Dynamics more flexibility and freedom. Unless Ubi completely takes over the development aspect too and if that's the case, you all know what I felt.

pinpal
7th Dec 2008, 04:34
AW!!!!! MAN Eidos was doing a very good job on Tomb Raider after all she was with them from the beginning.:hmm: Well I don't really know how all this buying out of companies work but the Tomb Raider series survived the switch from Core Design to crytal dynamics so what the heck all of this talk was probally going on then to. As long as a new tomb raider game that stars lara croft is still coming i'm alright with it.:thumb:

Icetea555
7th Dec 2008, 09:12
I hope it stays with Crystal Dynamics team. because they are doing a excellent job with making Tomb Raider games.:thumb:

I hope it doesn't change hands.I trust Crystal Dynamics in making my TR games if any one else gets there hand on the TR games it just might fall apart.:eek:

Thanks to Crystal Dynamics this game is doing a excellent job. Keep up the good work Crystal Dynamics.:)

I hope Crystal Dynamics will be making the next TR games and lots more after that.:scratch: :D

NightRain'06
8th Dec 2008, 07:53
Yes ! Without a doubt Crystal Dynamics revived my love for TR franchise again. I was surprised 2 years ago before Legend was released and was in the dark until the month before stumbling onto an article.

I hope they will be kept. Hypothetically, if they are, Ubi better not rush them in creating a new TR and have another Assassin's Creed debacle on their hands. :mad2:

On a lighter note, I'm sure that won't happen since TR is not Ubi's own IP creation ! So in a way, I am able to relax. :lol:

IvanaKC
8th Dec 2008, 08:39
You know, I love TR camera. It's the best in Anniversary, better than in Legend.

And why would Ubisoft buy Eidos. Eidos is good company. :scratch:

Jurre
8th Dec 2008, 10:57
Eidos is my childhood hero, since they have provided me with games like Commandos, Hitman and Tomb Raider for many years, but if an another publisher can provide Crystal D with more cash and time to make a better game I think its time to get packing. Of course if they don't interfere in the game's development and leave it to the developers themselves.

Lexy
9th Dec 2008, 17:24
Which is extremely scary :( :(

seriously!

pinpal
10th Dec 2008, 21:30
Wait a second you guys maybe Ubisoft isn't that bad after all, because I have just found out that Ubisoft indeed did make a tomb raider game entitled tomb raider prophecy hmm well thay have had experience with the series before:scratch: . well anythings better the EA and that japanese company. :(

jayjay119
11th Dec 2008, 01:34

I think you just answered your own question lol

RainaAudron
11th Dec 2008, 17:57

because they´re in financial trouble I guess. They´ve cancelled a lot of games (including my beloved LOK series) so far..:mad2:

tombraidergal
11th Dec 2008, 19:44
i was thinking, what if crystal and Core design worked together in the next tr, with cores wonderful puzzle skill and crystals wonderful levels designs, animation and story lines, core could be a part of it and help with all of that and they could become one big company:
Instead of Crystal dynamics and Core Design, it could be:

'Crystal Design'
which would be cool, if eidos allowed it, it would be soooo cool!

IvanaKC
11th Dec 2008, 20:59
I think you just answered your own question lol

I didn't expressed my self right. I meant: Why would Eidos be on the market?

jayjay119
14th Dec 2008, 22:08
I didn't expressed my self right. I meant: Why would Eidos be on the market?

I thoght that is what you meant Ivana. I thought this also, but then again if you look back there was originaly Eidos. Then round about 2004/5 (I think, please correct me if i'm wrong.) Sci bought the majority shares of Eidos and started using their name. Now once again Eidos is in financial trouble, it may be a sign of the current economic climate but either way this is the second time in less than a decade that eidos has been near going into administration..Looking at it this way i'm wondering why Ubisoft and EA are looking into buying it, financialy Eidos seems to be a liability.

However with a company like Ubi and EA who are already well establised publishers, they could buy Eidos for its Titles, make them 1st party developed projects insead of 3rd party and get rid of all of Eidos's employees (save a few needed ones) and get rid of the Eidos name all together, probably what will happen if another publisher gets a hold of the majority shares.