PDA

View Full Version : Mini-games confirmed

Psychopomp
3rd Dec 2008, 17:55
'Cause I've been without internet for a few months, and I want to know if EM heard we like games, so they put a game in our game, so we can pick locks while we game.

Please tell me no.

imported_van_HellSing
3rd Dec 2008, 18:06
No word on lockpicking, but hacking is supposedly a pretty complex minigame, in the form of a mini RTS.

Don't know what you have against minigames though, the lockpicking in Thief 3 was an improvement over the first two games, and the hacking in Fallout 3 is pretty fun and I'm not sure I'll tire of it quickly.

K^2
3rd Dec 2008, 18:15
... And then I rushed his firewall...

I don't think it is a sentence I want to hear. Ever.

Psychopomp
3rd Dec 2008, 18:17
No word on lockpicking, but hacking is supposedly a pretty complex minigame, in the form of a mini RTS.

Don't know what you have against minigames though, the lockpicking in Thief 3 was an improvement over the first two games, and the hacking in Fallout 3 is pretty fun and I'm not sure I'll tire of it quickly.

Right, forgot about the RTS. Think that souns cool, and "YOU ARE CORRECT, SIR" on Thief 3.

Maybe I should clarify. Oblivion-style minigames, not the type that are actually fun.

spm1138
3rd Dec 2008, 18:30
Awesomesauce.

I loved SC:CT.

Psychopomp
3rd Dec 2008, 18:38
... And then I rushed his firewall...

I don't think it is a sentence I want to hear. Ever.

DOSA-RUSH! KEKEKE

APostLife
4th Dec 2008, 07:19
Why don't they have the same hacking and lock picking system as DX1 but updated? Simple as that.

imported_van_HellSing
4th Dec 2008, 07:46
So instead of pressing a button, you have to press two buttons?

LatwPIAT
4th Dec 2008, 09:33
I can see hacking as an RTS, if each "unit" is supposed to be a virus sents against an enemy firewall or antidote program, and a unit's "death" is the erasure, formating or deletion.
Something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRpLLs7SNE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBrJxSAL8n4

Absentia
4th Dec 2008, 11:30
I think this could either turn out really badly, or pretty cool depending on how its delivered, but there will always be people who hate on it and say "THATS NOT HOW YOU HACK IRL GARR"
I'm thinking something like how cyberspace, or the 'matrix' is portrayed in Neuromancer.

K^2
4th Dec 2008, 13:51
but there will always be people who hate on it and say "THATS NOT HOW YOU HACK IRL GARR"
Fallout3 managed to turn it into something almost believable. Granted, programs that contain password strings are terribly outdated, but so are green monochrome CRT console screens. It is all very consistent.

More importantly, breaking into a system is a lot closer to the style of guess-and-check puzzle, than it is to an RTS. There are no resources, no "units", nothing that can be compared to the landscape. There is a system that works based on very strict rules, and you are trying to use these same rules to make the program do something it was not intended to do.

People can say that Fallout3's hacks aren't how you hack as much as they want, but it has the right feel to it without requiring player to learn the inner workings of the system. It is by far the best hacking mini-game to date.

spm1138
4th Dec 2008, 14:11
I'd almost hoped they'd get in touch with the pop cap games people and get them to design some puzzles :D

Ah well. I'm sure they can make the RTS work.

It actually sounds a lot like hacking in GiTS and Neuromancer etc.

He flipped back. His program had reached the fifth gate.
He watched as his icebreaker strobed and shifted in front of
him, only faintly aware of his hands playing across the deck,
making minor adjustments. Translucent planes of color shuffled
like a trick deck. Take a card, he thought, any card.
The gate blurred past. He laughed. The Sense/Net ice had
accepted his entry as a routine transfer from the consortium's
Los Angeles complex. He was inside. Behind him, viral sub-
programs peeled off, meshing with the gate's code fabric, ready
to deflect the real Los Angeles data when it arrived.

http://www.serenadawn.com/GITS-InformationAge_clip_image003.jpg

This might not be realistic but it is in keeping with the setting I suppose.

edit
Tee hee
http://www.globalnerdy.com/2007/05/29/cyberwar-aint-what-it-used-to-be/

K^2
4th Dec 2008, 16:34
There is some tendency to move towards more Neuromancer-ish kind of attacks. Hacking will always be hacking, but some elements might pop up.

One might view stack smashers as the rudimentary form of ICE. They place canaries in the stack. If canary data changes, it assumes a buffer overflow attack. It might alert the firewall, start denying access, or in some extreme cases, terminate program or crash the system to prevent intrusion.

René
4th Dec 2008, 19:49
You know what's so cool about hacking in Deus Ex 3?

You never have to do it if you don't want to.

Yargo
4th Dec 2008, 20:01

Is it really a mini RTS?

GmanPro
4th Dec 2008, 20:03

As it should be.

My first playthrough of DX I tried to not use any hacking. But I got stuck in the VersaLife hq when I couldn't find the code to the computer I was supposed to access. I searched everywhere and even looked up online where I was supposed to go for it, but still It just wasn't where everyone said it was.

I'm thinking on my first playthrough of DX3 I'm going to try not to use any shortcuts. That way I get to explore and experience as much of the game as possible on my first time through.

René
4th Dec 2008, 21:00
Is it really a mini RTS?

I know you'll hate me for saying I can't talk about it right now, but...I can't talk about it right now. Is it more than the hacking in DX1 or plumbing game in Bioshock? Heck yes.

Yargo
4th Dec 2008, 21:19
I know you'll hate me for saying I can't talk about it right now, but...I can't talk about it right now..

I figured as much. :D
No hard feelings

Igoe
4th Dec 2008, 21:30
I know you'll hate me for saying I can't talk about it right now, but...I can't talk about it right now. Is it more than the hacking in DX1 or plumbing game in Bioshock? Heck yes.

Just remember to have a quick bypass method. Be it an aug or whatnot, but there HAS to be a quick way to avoid hacking. If its anything more intensive than the system in DX1, thats FINE, but remember after a while it'll get tedious, or one day you just wont feel like playing a game to open an email.

When you walk into a room FULL of PCs in DX3, you don't want people going "awwwww crap"

So, a brain hack aug with an "ICE breaker" or whatnot would be greatly appreciated. Heck, even oblivion and bioshock had a simple one click bypass solution.

GmanPro
4th Dec 2008, 21:37
Just remember to have a quick bypass method. Be it an aug or whatnot, but there HAS to be a quick way to avoid hacking. If its anything more intensive than the system in DX1, thats FINE, but remember after a while it'll get tedious, or one day you just wont feel like playing a game to open an email.

There's already two ways to do this.

1. Ignore the terminal. Go do something else.
2. Find the login and password somewhere.

K^2
4th Dec 2008, 21:49

We don't have to play video games if we don't want to either.

AaronJ
4th Dec 2008, 22:49
We don't have to play video games if we don't want to either.

All concepts of logic are now destroyed.

K^2
4th Dec 2008, 23:12
All concepts of logic are now destroyed.
Here is a shovel. Start rebuilding. I want 3 states of logic this time: truth, like, and damn lie.

El_Bel
4th Dec 2008, 23:57

What about those of us who want to hack, but dont like mini games?

Dont suppose we will can have an option to turn mini games to easy so we can get past them quickly to get to the emails?

3nails4you
5th Dec 2008, 00:23

No offense to plumbers?

K^2
5th Dec 2008, 02:38
No offense to plumbers?
None at all.

http://www.adiumxtras.com/images/thumbs/super_mario_bros_1_12304_4879_thumb.png

Yargo
5th Dec 2008, 03:20
whoops...... :D