PDA

View Full Version : I keep crashing to desktop on PC. Aggrevating.

Flukester
3rd Dec 2008, 01:19
Hi,

I've searched the forums and don't see much solutions for crashing. My PC easily handles the game. When it crashes, I am clicking or waiting to the Ok prompt for saving. It asks to send a report to Microsoft. I know that's wishful thinking however once it crashed and it gave an error in one of the DirectX files. So I downloaded the latest redistributable of DirectX 9.0c, Nov 2008 and now it crashes to desktop without even wanting to send a report. I had this problem with the last games too. It would crash or freeze my PC. Got so annoying I just stopped playing. I was hoping this game would invigorate my inner needs and then I could try the older ones again but sadly it's the same outcome.

AMD 6400+
4GB DDR800
M2N4 SLI
Creative XFi Xtreme Gamer Professional Series
eVGA 9800 GTX+ 512MB
Logitech G11 keyboard and MX Revolution mouse
All settings high
All latest drivers and 180.70 for nVidia.
Windows XP SP3

I can't remember any other game that crashes on me other than Tomb Raider. Game is a lot of fun, just sucks it is crashing all the time. Appreciate any help in trying to stop this crashing.

Here's the crash:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 12/2/2008
Time: 8:04:50 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TOM-PC
Description:
Faulting application tru.exe, version 1.0.0.0, faulting module tru.exe, version 1.0.0.0, fault address 0x001afcda.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 74 72 75 ure tru
0018: 2e 65 78 65 20 31 2e 30 .exe 1.0
0020: 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 .0.0 in
0028: 74 72 75 2e 65 78 65 20 tru.exe
0030: 31 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 1.0.0.0
0038: 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 at offse
0040: 74 20 30 30 31 61 66 63 t 001afc
0048: 64 61 0d 0a da..

Kroft
3rd Dec 2008, 01:36
there's a bug with the savesystem on the PC version. You'll crash after a couple of saves (or saving near a checkpoint). not sure.. but the autosave system works so you can still play through the game.

Flukester
3rd Dec 2008, 01:55
there's a bug with the savesystem on the PC version. You'll crash after a couple of saves (or saving near a checkpoint). not sure.. but the autosave system works so you can still play through the game.

The game crashes as well when it goes to a cut scene. It has happened a few times. Sorry forgot to mention that.

Flukester
3rd Dec 2008, 06:01
is there a patch in the works to stop crashing or is a repeat of the last Tomb Raider...

Leak
3rd Dec 2008, 09:17
there's a bug with the savesystem on the PC version. You'll crash after a couple of saves (or saving near a checkpoint).
That must be a very machine-specific bug since there's been, what, only 3 of dozens of PC users mentioning that they crash while saving.

I'd find something else on your system interfering (like a virus scanner) much more likely; if you've got a virus scanner at least try excluding the directory TRU stores it's saves in from being scanned.

Virus scanners locking files during scanning also killed Neverwinter Nights 2 a lot; excluding the save directory prevented that.

tonyhomes
3rd Dec 2008, 09:48
I also have this bug. It's annoying, it really happens after saving some times. I'm using Vista Home Premium SP1.

Well, at least the savegame files don't get corrupted.

Still waiting for an official patch, though.

aussie500
3rd Dec 2008, 10:27
Do not save where the checkpoint is, move away from it and the crashing should stop. l usually go back a bit and save. l played the game 3 times and had no trouble, l deleted everything and started a new game to make a collection of save games and all of a sudden the game crashes just after saving, it did not take much to work out what was causing it.

l have XP service pack 2, but l doubt the bug is to do with the operating system or PC, just depends on where you save. :(

pleomax
3rd Dec 2008, 23:17
I've crashed twice around the hammers level trying to 'quit' the game.

Tru is not responding, windows has to close the program duhhhhhh that was what i was trying to do.

Buggy, buggy, buggy.

Why are we expected to wait for patches or new drivers ? All the problems should be ironed out before you part with your hard earned cash.

Imagine if you bought a television, and then were expected to fix it yourself or wait for the manufacturer to come up with a fix, this is what i think is going on in games and it needs sorting out.

I would like a new law passed where if a game has more than a few minor problems that are not fixed quickly the product is automatically recalled. The expense of doing this would make game developers test their products more throughly.

The ability to release patches should not be an excuse to release half arsed products, so that developers can get off early for their christmas hols.

Kroft
4th Dec 2008, 00:15
is there a patch in the works to stop crashing or is a repeat of the last Tomb Raider...

they're working on a patch :thumbsup:
check this thread:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=140078

but it might be an issue with the graphic drivers. TRU is quite a new game,. when a new graphic driver comes it might be solved

ChiefRedCloud
7th Dec 2008, 03:57
That must be a very machine-specific bug since there's been, what, only 3 of dozens of PC users mentioning that they crash while saving.

I'd find something else on your system interfering (like a virus scanner) much more likely; if you've got a virus scanner at least try excluding the directory TRU stores it's saves in from being scanned.

Virus scanners locking files during scanning also killed Neverwinter Nights 2 a lot; excluding the save directory prevented that.

Guess I must be number four then of a dozen.

As I mentioned in another thread here, I go to manually save and as soon as I hit ok, it crashes to the desk top and does not save the game.

Now it did seem to save the first two or three game saves. So I'm going to try and delete those and see what happens. Will let all know if that works .

Oh, I forgot to mention that this is a PC version running on Vista Business version.

Dual core processor and 2 gigs of memory 8800 nvidia card

Kroft
7th Dec 2008, 12:25
Guess I must be number four then of a dozen.

As I mentioned in another thread here, I go to manually save and as soon as I hit ok, it crashes to the desk top and does not save the game.

Now it did seem to save the first two or three game saves. So I'm going to try and delete those and see what happens. Will let all know if that works .

Oh, I forgot to mention that this is a PC version running on Vista Business version.

Dual core processor and 2 gigs of memory 8800 nvidia card

yea it's the same for me. What I did was to save the game before I stopped playing. Up until then i had to rely on the autosave, if I fell down, or got killed by tigers etc. And make sure to make a manual save at the start of Mexico because the ramp bug.

Flukester
11th Dec 2008, 03:28
they're working on a patch :thumbsup:
check this thread:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=140078

but it might be an issue with the graphic drivers. TRU is quite a new game,. when a new graphic driver comes it might be solved

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.