PDA

View Full Version : Release date discussion

LORD BLACKFIRE
3rd Dec 2008, 00:21
Just checked Gamestop's online site. They've moved the release date for BS:Pacific from Feb. 2 to April 1st.

To make things worse, as a former Gamestop employee, I'm very familiar with "X Month 1st" release dates. They are almost always placeholders, meaning that Gamestop really doesn't have a clue when it's coming out.

In this case, I doubt Gamestop would have troubled itself to move the date from Feb. 2 to April 1st unless it got word from Eidos not to expect BS: Pacific before then.

You can cross your fingers and hope this is just a mistake. If it is they'll fix it in a week or so.

Also note the lack of box art. Most of the games slotted for early February already have the box art available to view.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72591

SuperE
3rd Dec 2008, 00:31
I don't think that Gamestop cares about the game because the box art is on the Battlestations' website

LORD BLACKFIRE
3rd Dec 2008, 00:45
I don't think that Gamestop cares about the game because the box art is on the Battlestations' website

Gamestop doesn't kick in the doors of publishers or hack their websites to steal box art. The publisher's marketing department sends that stuff out. Gamestop doesn't have it because it's not been sent yet.

SuperE
3rd Dec 2008, 01:00
Well then why doesn't the devs send it, it doesn't seem that hard since they already have it on the battlestations site

Arrow
3rd Dec 2008, 03:57
April 1st is April Fools anyway. Talk about a pre-emptive prank.

It3llig3nc3
3rd Dec 2008, 12:04
First the 2 Feb, 2009 is also a placeholder date.
Especially in the US/Canada/Western Europe the game/CD/DVD release dates are timed to support the big retailers calendar. Monday release is rare as it is not a peak shopping day.

Second - The only fact we have is that EIDOS does not communicate about the release date. As I repeatedly speculated in various threads and posts this can mean only one thing: they do not have any idea when the product will be in a releasable state. They do not know the target date for the "Gold version" to be available.

Nobody else on this forum finds this worth to notice. Nobody else is bothered about that. Most of the visitors are just joking around and still listing ideas.
It seems that nobody really cares about the problem that there is no official published release date for BS:P

This is a problem since if the community does not care and does not express some kind of a demand why would EIDOS care?

I have listed some reference games/publishers for 1Q 2009 titles. If you compare their website, communication, release date projections you can easily see that EIDOS is nowhere near to them.

So if you think it's important to get this issue clarified with EIDOS, please voice your concern. Otherwise stop looking at retail sites and getting excited about tentative release dates that they put up as their web system probably requires it.

One thing matters: and official statement from EIDOS. We need this. The rest is irrelevant.

chip5541
3rd Dec 2008, 14:12
Gamestop... this is the same company that I bought R.A.D. (ps2) and what I got was a demo disk. When called they said they would ship the full game. After 2 weeks I called back and they said they could only refund or I can wait for a used copy to someday appear since they do not have the game in stock. I generally don't have a lot of faith in GS as a reliable source of any information.

I believe the only thing officially stated was a 1Q 2009. Anything else has generally been conjecture and rumors.

If the game has been pushed back 1 month there could be some reasons such as the publisher has requested a change or for financial reasons to affect stock prices. I have even seen games pushed back so the sales dept. can ramp up ads for games. Heck, perhaps something was mentioned about wanting in the game so the devs pushed it back to try and implement.

For ever game company that lists release dates months ahead of the game going gold, you have 10 that don't or are very vague on a release date. How many times have we heard from companies "when it's done"

It3llig3nc3
3rd Dec 2008, 15:38
For ever game company that lists release dates months ahead of the game going gold, you have 10 that don't or are very vague on a release date. How many times have we heard from companies "when it's done"

Hmmm. There are good companies and there are bad companies. Successful ones and losers.
I believe taking a commitment for a release date is an important thing towards the future customers. Furthermore it is an indication of that the company knows what they are doing.

I think it is a much better approach and creates a strong positive company image to commit to a date and then change it in the unfortunate situation if that can not be met. (e.g. GTA4 PC release). Obviously you can't change it too often because that would hurt credibility. Which brings us back to square one: taking commitments is a tool for the strong, successful companies (and people). Because they can take it knowing that the they can do it.

The famous Murphy’s law applicable here: If you want to do something you’re looking for solutions, if you don’t you spend your efforts finding excuses.

I looks to me that EIDOS is very busy looking into excuses… :rolleyes:

Arrow
3rd Dec 2008, 16:27
Unfortunately that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. >.>

chip5541
3rd Dec 2008, 16:29
Hmmm. There are good companies and there are bad companies. Successful ones and losers.
I believe taking a commitment for a release date is an important thing towards the future customers. Furthermore it is an indication of that the company knows what they are doing.

I would rather have a company give us what they promise. When is also important but as I have said, no specific date has been confirmed. Instead of creating an imaginary date for release I would rather the game be released in the best condition it can. Setting a specific date months ahead of release doesn't give the devs enough time if something arises. Anyone remember HL2 and Gabe's excuse.. "oh noes, someone hacked Outlook and stole the code"? He had given a date and it was blown big-time and he took a lot of unnecessary grief for it. Pacific Storm: Allies was delayed as well because after the final code was submitted, CDV (publisher) decided they wanted some changes to teh game.

I think it is a much better approach and creates a strong positive company image to commit to a date and then change it in the unfortunate situation if that can not be met. (e.g. GTA4 PC release). Obviously you can't change it too often because that would hurt credibility. Which brings us back to square one: taking commitments is a tool for the strong, successful companies (and people). Because they can take it knowing that the they can do it.

And again things happen and when they do, by setting a specific date, does nothing but create unnecessary grief. When the devs and pubs are more comfortable with a specific release date then they will announce it.

The famous Murphy’s law applicable here: If you want to do something you’re looking for solutions, if you don’t you spend your efforts finding excuses.

I looks to me that EIDOS is very busy looking into excuses… :rolleyes:

How can you even say that when they (Eidos, sales or the dev) haven't said anything?

It3llig3nc3
3rd Dec 2008, 19:53
Well you Chip are very understanding. Plus you carry the EIDOS flag here so it is understandable that you defend them.

The way I see it we still face one fact that has nothing to do with beliefs: Amongst the companies who produce PC games some does communicate release dates well in advance and some does not. This is a choice. You say you'd rather have no release date forecasts so let the teams finish the product and take as much time as they need. Public is no factor here. I simply can not agree to this approach.

What you must not forget that internally there are deadlines. Unless a company is completely crazy there is no approval for multi year long development projects without agreeing BEFORE on the golden triangle: time-money-resource. You should know as well that there is no perfection in software development - there is always something that arises in the last moment. Skill is to bring things to a fair closure before you run out of money and time.

So after all the question is really if the company chooses to be transparent about its internal plans and activities with the public or not.

EIDOS is not transparent. SEGA for example is transparent. Or take Codemasters. Their devs are allowed to comment on the official forum. They are allowed to discuss technical details such as the content of the config files or modding. At EIDOS devs are under strict NDA and there is no vehicle in place to let their voice come public.

I do not say that because of all that BS:P is a bad game. Rather the opposite.
However when you ask why EIDOS ranks among game publishers where it ranks, these things are part of the answer. Being honest and transparent with your customers always pays off on the long run…

chip5541
3rd Dec 2008, 21:36
Yes, I am understanding. Frankly if I and other fans could have gone through the whole IG3 wait/cancel/wait then this is nothing :D

Doing some digging I see that some other sites are listing a 2Q 2009 release. I am checking on it now and hope to have an answer.

Oh and BTW. Just because I have the Eidos tag does not mean I will defend them against all else. If something is wrong I will say it is wrong. I have on several occasions in teh past.

Polarshark
3rd Dec 2008, 22:07
oh wow 2 more months

pain in the bum really

lets' hope they can really get it in to february 2nd

cause empire TW is in feb 3rd and they've been starting around the same time as pacific or more

chip5541
3rd Dec 2008, 22:55
You know it could be like movies. You never want to release 2 big item movies the same week. Usually studios will stack teh movies week by week. I know some game companies do teh same. It is all about exposure.

LORD BLACKFIRE
3rd Dec 2008, 23:05
You know it could be like movies. You never want to release 2 big item movies the same week. Usually studios will stack teh movies week by week. I know some game companies do teh same. It is all about exposure.

I actually suggested it wouldn't be a good idea to release the game at the same time as Halo Wars but Halo Wars isn't going to have much momentum beyond the 1st two or three weeks. Once the kids figure out it isn't another FPS the interest will wane.

Moving the release date of BS:P back 8+ weeks is over reacting.

Polarshark
4th Dec 2008, 00:29
if they're gonna take a little more while

then they better find all of the glitches or bugs and extra tweaks

and perhaps give us a lot more info to keep us going

chip5541
8th Dec 2008, 14:47
Blackfire, I hope you don't mind but I changed the thread name so discussion of the release date can stay in one thread.

Arrow
8th Dec 2008, 15:15
Good move, but as I said in the other thread, as far as I'm concerned, it won't be released at all until Eidos says it will be on a certain date.

chip5541
8th Dec 2008, 16:08
Ditto. Don't trust any sources until you hear it from Eidos or one of the mods/admin.

Polarshark
8th Dec 2008, 21:06
Ditto. Don't trust any sources until you hear it from Eidos or one of the mods/admin.

yeah

but we're all certain it's feb-april

Arrow
8th Dec 2008, 21:29
Not me. Eidos isn't releasing it. Don't believe me? Prove me otherwise.

LORD BLACKFIRE
8th Dec 2008, 22:34
Blackfire, I hope you don't mind but I changed the thread name so discussion of the release date can stay in one thread.

No problem! :wave:

LORD BLACKFIRE
8th Dec 2008, 23:25
FYI - MS announced today that Halo Wars will release in the states March 3. Europe and Japan get in early - Feb. 26. http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/18343/Halo-Wars-Dated-Limited-Collectors-Edition-Announced/

Perhaps Eidos' move to April+ was in anticipation of this . . . if we are going with the theory that it was moved to avoid another big release the way movies are.

Gamestop usually updates release dates on Tuesday. I'll check again tomorrow.

chip5541
9th Dec 2008, 09:41
Not me. Eidos isn't releasing it. Don't believe me? Prove me otherwise.

Want to bet?:D

It3llig3nc3
9th Dec 2008, 12:14
Sure I bet with you.
What do you propose? I buy you as much beer as I can for the retail price of BS:P when it gets released.
If it does not get released in 2009 1Q you give me a free copy.
Deal?

Polarshark
9th Dec 2008, 20:50
Sure I bet with you.
What do you propose? I buy you as much beer as I can for the retail price of BS:P when it gets released.
Deal?

we all know it's gonna end with someone winning nothing and someone losing nothing:D

LORD BLACKFIRE
9th Dec 2008, 23:48
Sure I bet with you.
Deal?

Make sure you define 1Q the way Eidos does. It's not always Jan. -Mar.

Gamestop did indeed update Halo Wars today to 3/3/2009 but no changes were made to BS:P. It still shows 4/1/2009. :hmm:

Polarshark
10th Dec 2008, 01:59
Make sure you define 1Q the way Eidos does. It's not always Jan. -Mar.

Gamestop did indeed update Halo Wars today to 3/3/2009 but no changes were made to BS:P. It still shows 4/1/2009. :hmm:

how can you even think it'll be april the first

only gamestop shows april 1st while other sites show feb 2 or 3

and besides we have to wait for the devs to fill us in

It3llig3nc3
10th Dec 2008, 07:55
2009 Q1 in my calendar is still between January 1st, 2009 and 31st of March, 2009 inclusive. Anything else out of this range is something else.
Fair and square?

So, chip5541 are you up to the challenge??????

LORD BLACKFIRE
11th Dec 2008, 00:03
how can you even think it'll be april the first

only gamestop shows april 1st while other sites show feb 2 or 3

and besides we have to wait for the devs to fill us in

Let Chip and It3llig3nc3 bet.

I'll bet you, Polarshark, that the game absolutely will not ship Feb. 2 or 3.

And on a sadder note . . .

Gamestop now shows the game's release date to be . . .

:eek:
April 29

Polarshark
11th Dec 2008, 00:21
Let Chip and It3llig3nc3 bet.

I'll bet you, Polarshark, that the game absolutely will not ship Feb. 2 or 3.

And on a sadder note . . .

Gamestop now shows the game's release date to be . . .

April 29

no thank you i'm saving up for BSP

and anyways i'm saying about march or so hopefully

Yamamoto666
11th Dec 2008, 14:38
april 29?????? wowowowowow...hold on...they might be playing it safe here. and thats gamestops opinion, i only will take it in if it comes from Edios itself or its people. thats the only trustworthy release date. but april 29 is za nin ta ta, (a great shame). thats like SPRING...and its DECEMBER right now. :( za nin ta ta:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: i can wait:whistle: and wait:wave: and wait:hmm: and wonder:confused: blah....comeon edios :D

M0n3y
12th Dec 2008, 09:57
untill eidos reports the date, just think it's Q1 09 :D

Waffen
3rd Jan 2009, 23:21
:lol: :mad2: i seen/heard 2 realse dates.
A. Q2 2009 ( june 30 2009 YES 10 days after B-Day!)
B. Winter 2009 YES w00t NEAR X-mas! but i would like it to be like march or sooner. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :D :rasp:

SuperE
4th Jan 2009, 08:22
Shack News says the later half of 2008

A solid release date is about as elusive as the Website hope everything will be answered on the fifth after all of the holiday breaks

It3llig3nc3
4th Jan 2009, 12:43
If you guys would just read all the info what is posted on this website...

Read this: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=84666
Assuming LORD BLACKFIRE's last entry holds true we're in a situation where release date is everything but predictable...

Also if the EIDOS team is laid off, there won't be anyone who will post here... :(

Waffen
4th Jan 2009, 15:08
yea is eidoes (i think i spelt iy wrong) closing too like ES?:scratch:

It3llig3nc3
4th Jan 2009, 15:23
Closing and being purchased by someone is a different story.
However the new owner might have a different view on running projects as we learned from the past.
Question is really how much time will it take to decide BS:P's faith?

EDIT:

I did some further reading on this Warner - EIDOS story.
It looks like EIDOS was in trouble back in April when Warner came in and helped by providing $170million and took 10% of the shares.
Recently (mid December) Warner came again and increased its ownership in EIDOS to 19.95%. The previous 10% max limit had been modified and now the maximum is 30%. I assume this December transaction also came with some cash injection for EIDOS.

It looks like to me that EIDOS is for sale and the question is who is going to get the company: Warner or some other publisher groups?

Reading through the news it looks like that the Battlestations product is not really mentioned anywhere. EIDOS's "strength" is in Tomb Raider and some other products. Also Warner is pushing EIDOS to produce games utilizing their cartoon figure licenses.

I'm still hoping that BS:P won't be cut off but one thing is for sure: EIDOS is in trouble and they are not really at full liberty to decide what happens next.

Tough situation I must say.

Waffen
4th Jan 2009, 15:48
yea ES is doing that too. There being bought out by microsoft. so there not actualy leaving or bankrupt and closing. :cool:

Sandy
5th Jan 2009, 05:04
:o Scary thing is.......even if Eidos goes through with BSP, if they are in financial trouble, how does that effect us gamers with future patches, fixes and support? :hmm:

It3llig3nc3
5th Jan 2009, 08:26
There are some different strategies as how to play out the BS:P project assuming EIDOS is in financial trouble and Warner is making the calls behind the scenes.

Option 1 would be to sell off the almost ready (if it is really the case - we do not know) game to another publisher. In other words cash in the expected (or a bit less) revenue without risk and let somebody else worry about completing the product. This is a kind of "clear up the portfolio" scenario.

Option 2 can be to release BS:P pay off the DEVs and burry it. No support no patch nothing. Just the game out, cash in. Alternative to this is to push the game out and then sell of the “Battlestations” brand and copyrights. If the launch is successful this could worth some money.

Option 3 is to delay it until the financial trouble clears up. So it’s a kind of “stall” strategy. This option is heavily dependent upon the contract EIDOS made with the DEVs. Regardless we have seen things like this before.

Option 4 is to cancel completely. I do not believe this will happen since 2 years of work has been put into the product. That would be a shame.

My personal opinion is that for us gamers Option 1 would be the best in terms of quality and support – but obviously would push out the release date a lot.
Option 2 is still a good idea provided EIDOS has the “steam” to complete it soon.

LORD BLACKFIRE
5th Jan 2009, 12:20
When Activision was completing its merger with Blizzard and had already bought Vivendi it dumped several completed/nearly completed games because they "could not be exploited" on an annual basis (recall Activision cranks out Call of Duty and Guitar Hero every year). The word "exploit" was actually used by the CEO of Activision. Ghostbusters, Brutal Legend, and World in Conflict were let go.

Ubisoft bought Massive (the devs of World in Conflict) and WiC and has so far sat on WiC with no comment, probably because it would be competing with Endwar.

Let's hope things aren't so bad with our BS:P studio. I don't see Ubisoft buying BS:Pacific since you can't really stick "Tom Clancy's . . . " in front of it. :nut:

It3llig3nc3
5th Jan 2009, 13:14
I don't see Ubisoft buying BS:Pacific since you can't really stick "Tom Clancy's . . . " in front of it. :nut:

:lol: this was good :lol:

On the serious side - since this Warner thing came up I started to look around EIDOS and checked their annual reports for 2007 and 2008. It does not look good. Neither profit nor cash flow is positive. Furthermore I haven’t really realized up till now, that during the past year EIDOS has technically fired its entire top management and rolled in a brand new strategy/approach. Either it needs time to solidify or it wasn't the right turn at all.
I really hope BS:P will survive the turbulence.

EIDOS have a June-to-June fiscal year so it means that even if they postpone the release date of BS:P to 2Q 2009, the sales will come into their top line for “2009”. This is just a speculation as I have no doubt that there won’t be any statement from EIDOS on these kind of matters. :D :D

SuperE
5th Jan 2009, 20:46
I think it would survive based on the screenshots and vids over the summer the game should be close to done like 75% the only way it would be stratched is if Eidos goes under and no one is there to pick up the projects

Yamamoto666
5th Jan 2009, 22:51
this is not that bad news, check it out

http://www.vgreleases.com/Xbox360/ReleaseDate-117292.aspx

Waffen
5th Jan 2009, 23:33
cool site yam. It seems like there it is gonna be APRILL 19 or 29. that would be cool. My mom lets me take like days off if i get good grades and right now she says i can take 2 days off so im gonna take the monday and friday of the soonest weekend it comes out.:D BUT IM MAD!! :mad: :mad: because for like the first time EUROPE has a game comming out before us! and its this month! so im really thinking since that is a confirmed date. That there is a 75% chance it will be APRILL 29 or 19 sorry i forgot the one it said.:cool:

LORD BLACKFIRE
5th Jan 2009, 23:44
This game isn't coming out in Europe in January. There's only a few weeks left before that out-of-date release date and nobody has seen any sort of marketting push, demo, vids on Xbox Live, etc.

They've just recently released the 3.5 minute video referred to as Developer Diary 1. That implies there will be at least one more. Dev. diaries are released well in advance of a game's launch.

There would be a lot of annoyed fans if there was a 3 month delay from a European launch to an American launch.

Waffen
6th Jan 2009, 00:36
check out yamatoto's site. It says Jan 30 realse date confirmed. :hmm:

Yamamoto666
6th Jan 2009, 01:21
in europe, jan 30, april 30 for all us yanks

LORD BLACKFIRE
6th Jan 2009, 02:30
check out yamatoto's site. It says Jan 30 realse date confirmed. :hmm:

It ain't happening. Just wait.

Mike_B
6th Jan 2009, 14:04
There's no way that there would be a 3 month gap between release dates, that's pretty much commercial suicide. And if it were to be released in January Eidos would have announced the date by now.

It3llig3nc3
6th Jan 2009, 14:57
If you try the new Pacific portal and you go through the US side the game can be pre-ordered. The link takes us to the gamestop website where both the PC and XBOX360 version is scheduled 29/4/2009.

Going through the UK side of the portal there is no such pre-order option.

After all this could we assume that since GAMESTOP is linked through the official site their release date assumption is correct? There must be some agreement between EIDOS and GAMESTOP that such link exists for North America.

Sandy
6th Jan 2009, 16:04
I believe your on to something ;)

Waffen
7th Jan 2009, 19:45
If you try the new Pacific portal and you go through the US side the game can be pre-ordered. The link takes us to the gamestop website where both the PC and XBOX360 version is scheduled 29/4/2009.

Going through the UK side of the portal there is no such pre-order option.

After all this could we assume that since GAMESTOP is linked through the official site their release date assumption is correct? There must be some agreement between EIDOS and GAMESTOP that such link exists for North America.
yea im pre ordering it. And i really do hope when you put down 29/4/09 you ment 4/29/09 because the month comes before the date.

Bapabooiee
8th Jan 2009, 03:43
The only thing I really have to say about the release date is this: I don't care how long this game takes to get to market - I don't want this game shipped until it is absolutely, without a doubt, the best experience the developers could possibly make it. A game that offers a totally epic, solid experience would be worth the wait.

I'm glad that this game got delayed - this just means that they're taking their time to do it right =]

Jack459
8th Jan 2009, 04:22
yea im pre ordering it. And i really do hope when you put down 29/4/09 you ment 4/29/09 because the month comes before the date.

Lol, In many parts of the world they put the day first and then month second. I always get confused when my Spanish teacher does it.

Well im not too happy about release date being so far away but it is a partial positive for me. I have a seasonal job and i get my first paycheck right before then!

SuperE
8th Jan 2009, 04:36
A game cant be delayed if a release date hasn't been announced

But the game did get a ESRB rating so it shouldn't be far off

Sandy
9th Jan 2009, 03:50
Don't know if you guys in Europe get "PC Gamer" magazine, but here in the states the Feb. issue just came out and has a large write up with pictures of "Battlestations Pacific". Check it out!!!!:D :D :D
The only thing is...........the fact that "PC Gamer" has a real nice spread on the game means it must really be coming:), a good thing. In the article there is absolutely NO mention of a release date, a bad thing. :( :( :(

Der_BB_MAN
9th Jan 2009, 04:23
The game can do better this time than BSM,actually I believe that there is a high chance of the Battleships that survived Pearl Harbor will be in this game

SuperE
9th Jan 2009, 04:37
they said that there were only going to be 21 new units and they have released more than 15 already

LORD BLACKFIRE
9th Jan 2009, 12:22
In the article there is absolutely NO mention of a release date, a bad thing. :( :( :(

Actually, it says "Spring 2009". Got my issue a few days ago.

Sandy
10th Jan 2009, 06:13
Actually, it says "Spring 2009". Got my issue a few days ago.

:o Sorry about that, thought I had read the article pretty close, but did miss the release date. I still think it's a good sign though to have a magazine like "PC Gamer" writing about BSP :D

M0n3y
10th Jan 2009, 09:58
my bet is early februari:cool:

It3llig3nc3
10th Jan 2009, 12:46
Well, the new BS:P site has a side effect that now there are two separate forums so everything can be discussed twice....

Well my take on the release date thing is this what I posted up there:

I suspected that with the new BS:P site up and running EIDOS is going to put an end on the release date specualtion. Apparently it is not the case.
Since the new site introduced the new forum, it is a bit difficult to reference all the various angles from which we studied this question on the old forum. I'm not going to repeat it now.

Whatever is the reason for EIDOS to keep us in the dark, we will never know. However all old forum members should remember one thing: the ride it took EIDOS to get us here to the new site was a rough one. Nothing happened according to plans and EIDOS was not able to foresee events two weeks ahead! Given these circumstances anything they might say on release date in the future I won't believe.

Waffen
10th Jan 2009, 15:10
my bet is early februari:cool:

No way its commin out in feb. If it was there would be Ads and like every site would say it from vgrealses or gamespot or gamestop and the officail site would have a countdown or a big thing on the front page. so as much as i want it to be early feb. Its proably commin out etheir april 29 or june 30. And all those dates are good with me.

M0n3y
11th Jan 2009, 10:03
but...i can't wait that long...:(
early april then??:(

andy3536
12th Jan 2009, 18:00
Play have changed there listing from Jan 01 to april 24.
Either way it's Q2 with most indications pointing at end of April.
Better it's a little later than expected and done right that released rushed and buggy.

com345
12th Jan 2009, 18:35
Better it's a little later than expected and done right that released rushed and buggy.

very true!
i dont take any of the published release dates serious as long as they are not confirmed by eidos!

It3llig3nc3
13th Jan 2009, 13:53
I had a 5 minutes coffee break and as my head was around BS:P I did a little exercise. I put into GOOGLE the "battlestations pacific release date" string and pushed SEARCH.
There have been approx. 143,000 hits.
On the top of the list came the article below from February 2008 (roughly a year ago mind you!)
And then I started to think: how much more do we know about the game as of now? Certainly not the release date. To be more fair: what EIDOS believed as release date back in Feb 2008 proved to be wrong... we have already passed that. So... Like I said before: even if they say it, no reason to believe it. EIDOS has no skill for planning. So unfortunate. :hmm:

---------
link: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=794

Battlestations: Pacific Preview
by Aaron Linde Feb 29, 2008 12:52pm CST

Unlike most World War II titles, Eidos Studios Hungary's upcoming action-tactics hybrid Battlestations: Pacific focuses on sea and air combat over traditional ground-based assault, and breaks one of the long-standing taboos in WW2 games by including an Axis campaign.

"The main goal of Pacific is to create a bigger and better game than Midway, which was just the game from the US side of the Midway campaign," lead designer Botond Szalacsi told me. "I want it to be the whole Pacific experience for the players."

Unlike its Xbox 360 and PC predecessor Battlestations: Midway, Pacific features both US and Japanese campaigns, allowing players to see the war from both perspectives and, if victorious as the Japanese, change the course of history. But creating a speculative scenario for a Japanese victory in the Pacific campaign was no simple task.

"We did a whole lot of research—the US side of the campaign was much easier to research than the Japanese, obviously," Szalacsi explained. "We tried to find out how Japanese wanted to achieve their goals in the Pacific, they wanted to just dominate. And we have a lot of media, video, audio assets and such—a small library, lots of books. We tried to analyze through those materials a what-if scenario, because there's no point in losing the war while you are winning the battles."

Though the original Battlestations: Midway focused on sea and air combat, Szalacsi said that Pacific will allow players to use terra firma to their advantage, even if not directly. In addition to the 21 new units, players will also be able to use paratroopers, landing troops and ships to get soldiers into land-based points of interest.

"You can use landing troops or landing ships to capture key locations on the map, which is a new concept to Battlestations Pacific. I cannot go into detail, but you can use batteries and compounds once you capture them."

Szalacsi noted that while it was too early in development to discuss the details of Battlestations: Pacific's five multiplayer modes, a great deal of input from the tight-knit community surrounding Battlestations: Midway was considered in revamping the franchise for its second outing.

"Battlestations: Midway has an active fan base, and we are looking forward to working with those guys, and this means that we asked a lot of questions of them, what did you like or not like in the first game and where we can improve. All of the improvements have connections with that feedback."

Battlestations: Pacific is scheduled for release in the latter half of 2008.

kwintone
13th Jan 2009, 14:24
The only fact we have is that EIDOS does not communicate about the release date...

...Nobody else on this forum finds this worth to notice. Nobody else is bothered about that. Most of the visitors are just joking around and still listing ideas...

...It seems that nobody really cares about the problem that there is no official published release date for BS:P...

...This is a problem since if the community does not care and does not express some kind of a demand why would EIDOS care?

I think it is safe to say that many of us lurking on this forum have already gone through this before (waiting for a solid release date)...almost exactly two years ago we were having this exact same discussion...

With what we went through the first time around, this is an extraordinarily rapid progression. I'm just really excited that I will be playing BS:P in 2009

:D

It3llig3nc3
13th Jan 2009, 14:32
I'm just really excited that I will be playing BS:P in 2009

:D

Good for you.
This however does not change the fact that there are other ways to deal with a fan community. The choice is free, however let me have the right to dislike it. OK?

Yamamoto666
13th Jan 2009, 14:35
mycoldman says that if things go his way we could be looking at a release date for BSP in the next update on battlestations.net its under another thread, i commented on it :D so get ready to hear abt the release date/ updates on the new website

It3llig3nc3
13th Jan 2009, 21:55
My point here exactly is that even if they make an announcement on the release date there is absolutely no reason to believe in it.
This is why I'm surprised that many people are still so excited about the possibility to get a release date. On what grounds do you choose to believe in it? EIDOS proved many times that their estimates on things to be get done are very inaccurate.

How long does it take to realize that we're treated here on a "need to know" basis. Besides all of us frequent visitors of this forum are the "guaranteed sales". We're in the boat with EIDOS so they have no tangible interest to please us with info.

SuperE
13th Jan 2009, 22:30
Is the BSP website down for you guys or is it just my computer if it is we could be getting another update

VTROOPER
13th Jan 2009, 22:33
down for me to

LORD BLACKFIRE
14th Jan 2009, 00:14
My point here exactly is that even if they make an announcement on the release date there is absolutely no reason to believe in it.
This is why I'm surprised that many people are still so excited about the possibility to get a release date. On what grounds do you choose to believe in it? EIDOS proved many times that their estimates on things to be get done are very inaccurate.

How long does it take to realize that we're treated here on a "need to know" basis. Besides all of us frequent visitors of this forum are the "guaranteed sales". We're in the boat with EIDOS so they have no tangible interest to please us with info.

Nothing's going to get me "excited" unless it's news that it will come before 4/1 and I really don't see that happening.

Most companies don't give solid release dates unless it's a fall title like Halo or GoW or or something. Those games are usually done several months ahead of time to allow marketing to do the hype thing. Even then the date can slide a week or so depending on last minute glitches. It happened with Little Big Planet.

I would appreciate hearing from the dev team though. Even saying something like "we're shooting for an X window" would be nice. If they came back and said "sorry guys, we bumped into a problem" I'd actually feel more confident in the final product if there was a subsequent delay.

I kind of feel like our dev team is sort of treated like a bunch of sweat shop workers by Eidos - paid little and kept on a short leash.

See my thread about Tomb Raider and DLC to know why I see Eidos that way.

Yamamoto666
14th Jan 2009, 00:21
lol

Waffen
18th Jan 2009, 18:42
Im not sure if this is confirmed but i called game stop to see if i could pre-order it and i can. They also said the realse date for pre order is April 29 idk any thing if tis true but i figured i should let people know and if you already knew then good for you!

generyx
23rd Feb 2009, 19:16
I work for the biggest European Hardware/Software-Company and I just discovered the releasedate for BP in our system and its 24th of April. So thats only for Germany but I guess it will be also the date for the rest of Europe.
Can't wait.....
t