PDA

View Full Version : thief DS:crash on startup:VISTA

hotdogman
30th Nov 2008, 14:49
i know there are a lot of posts on this problum but nothing works. when ever i click on the .exe the game just says "Thief : Deadly Shadows has stopped working" then a bubble pops up on taskbar with DEP error saying it closed thief. I tryed shutting DEP off, I have tried setting compatiblity to XP sp2
but nothing works

i also read that "fujikazu" has a fix for it but he cant post in the the forum. and he in not emailing me back. if you know how to fix it plz help.

hotdogman
7th Dec 2008, 18:20
OK HERE IS HOW TO FIX IT

To stop the DEP protection, launch an elevated command prompt shell with administrative priviledges and credentials (log on to Windows Vista with a user account with administrator rights, and then right click on Command Prompt icon and select “Run as Administrator, or turn off UAC). Then execute the following command:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

If you regret your decision and now wants to enable or turn back on the DEP protection for your Windows Vista, simply use the following command instead:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

it works:thumb:

Peter_Smith
8th Dec 2008, 13:57
Thanks for posting this, hotdogman.:)

I am curious. What is the argument "{current}"? Are these the exact characters you type, or do you replace this string with something else? I have never seen {xxx} used in a CMD window command.

I don't have Vista, so I can't try it. If others try it, please post back with your success and thanks.

hotdogman
12th Dec 2008, 23:52
you type it in exact way i have it there