PDA

View Full Version : So who wants to know how to fix their stuttering? Solution inside...

TheCox
29th Nov 2008, 02:13
Nvidia 7900GS 256MB 256 bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 updated drivers from October 2008

Well I was tired of not having anything after scouring the internet for some help. So like any other person, I came here looking for help.

First I tried the fix listed here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=903103&postcount=48) where you change the DontDeferShaderCreation to 0.

That worked... For loading anyways...

So I was still stumped, until I went into my Nvidia control panel. And I went around and changed some settings.

First off:

Step 1.

Turned OFF Anisotropic filtering

Step 2.

Turned Antialiasing - Setting to NONE

Step 3.

Forced Vertical Sync OFF

I loaded up the game again, and voila, it still stutters here and there, but I actually made it through the upper level of the croft manor prologue without stopping every single step.

So it worked for me, maybe it will work for you as well.

Just thought I would share this with everyone.

This is my settings so far with tweaking:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/TheCox123/PictureOne.png
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a126/TheCox123/PictureTwo.png

DetroitStateofMind
29th Nov 2008, 03:53
Thanks for sharing, I hope it works for others but unfortunately not for me and my nvidia 7900gtx. Hopefully Eidos and Nvidia will come up with a solution soon.... fingers crossed :)

rg_001100
29th Nov 2008, 05:42
Nice :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing.

Annaya
29th Nov 2008, 06:05
Thanks for sharing! I have the same card, and I was waiting for a fix. Till then, maybe this will give me the opportunity to play. I'll try it out today :)

edit: sadly didn't work for me, even on lowest settings, although setting DontDeferShaderCreation to 0 massively reduced loading times. I still freeze on every step and camera moves so guess I'll have to wait for the fix :)

TheCox
29th Nov 2008, 06:08
it will still stutter from time to time, but at least for me it worked. I will add pictures of what your control panel should look like.

legato
29th Nov 2008, 08:36
Does doing that in game amount to the same as configuring using the nvidia utility?

I've disabled all the effects and currently have medium textures...But the gameplay does stutter at times as it seems its "loading" the level when I get to new areas...Or something to that nature...

Also, I get some weird artifacts like a weird line that goes diagonally away from Lara's head or random flickering and weird textures (rainbow/wacked psychadellic colors)...

pleomax
29th Nov 2008, 15:25
I still freeze on every step and camera moves so guess I'll have to wait for the fix

That must suck.

Also, I get some weird artifacts like a weird line that goes diagonally away from Lara's head or random flickering and weird textures (rainbow/wacked psychadellic colors)...

Don't like the sound of this, i would say your videocard is dying.

Annaya
29th Nov 2008, 17:16
I wasn't expecting much of this since it's unplayable even on lowest settings in game (while the demo ran just perfect on my system), but it was worth a try.

batotesic
29th Nov 2008, 17:18
is this RegEdit a program or what

Leak
29th Nov 2008, 17:19
is this RegEdit a program or what
Click here (http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=regedit&l=1)

(searching in that page for "regedit" is left as an exercise for the reader...)

np: Gas - Track 4 (Gas)

rg_001100
29th Nov 2008, 19:01
Click here (http://www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=regedit&l=1)

(searching in that page for "regedit" is left as an exercise for the reader...)

np: Gas - Track 4 (Gas)

:lol: I've never seen that before. :P

Regedit's a program that edits the windows registry. (Info for running stuff).
If you edit the wrong thing, it can stop your computer from running. :)
(In this case, it was running TR:U without something or other to get it to run better, perhaps).

TheCox
29th Nov 2008, 22:04
Does doing that in game amount to the same as configuring using the nvidia utility?

I've disabled all the effects and currently have medium textures...But the gameplay does stutter at times as it seems its "loading" the level when I get to new areas...Or something to that nature...

No, I had everything turned off on low settings, and still stuttered. Always make sure to turn Vertical Sync off, try forcing it off in the nvidia control panel, because I have seen that always seems to cap your FPS. At least in my process it does.

Also, I didnt figure it would work for everyone, but I just randomly went into my control panel and tweaked a few settings here and there and everything was SO much better. Well not super better, but playable.

legato
29th Nov 2008, 22:35
That must suck.

Don't like the sound of this, i would say your videocard is dying.

DoH! I was kind of thinking this might be the case...If a new driver does come out, I"ll try to see if that helps...Unless the card dies b4 then =)
I guess I'll pick up a x260 if so...

ozraider
29th Nov 2008, 23:04
DoH! I was kind of thinking this might be the case...If a new driver does come out, I"ll try to see if that helps...Unless the card dies b4 then =)
I guess I'll pick up a x260 if so...

I wouldn't touch anything nVida with a 10 foot pole to be honest after this debacle.

You may have seen in other threads that people with high end nVidia cards are also having stuttering / lag problems.

I've got a 7900GTX and I'm looking into upgrading to an ATI 4850 which from all reports seems to run the game pretty well.

legato
30th Nov 2008, 01:26
I wouldn't touch anything nVida with a 10 foot pole to be honest after this debacle.

You may have seen in other threads that people with high end nVidia cards are also having stuttering / lag problems.

I've got a 7900GTX and I'm looking into upgrading to an ATI 4850 which from all reports seems to run the game pretty well.

lol u got a good point there...ATI does look very good right about now...Last ATI I had was a 9800pro and that was an EXCELLENT card at the time =D

I guess its time for me to switch sides :thumbsup:

TheCox
30th Nov 2008, 01:37
I am still loyal to Nvidia, but I am not going to change due to one game.

However, it is based on ones own opinions, last ati I had was like a Radeon 9000 series or something, I had a bad experience, and switched to Nvidia.

But regardless, if they put a patch out, hopefully it fixes some issues.

evierey
30th Nov 2008, 07:42
How can I do this to my computer? How do I get there?

legato
1st Dec 2008, 05:50
The "nvidia control panel" is found in your main control panel folder...Or if you have the icon in your task tray, it looks like a leaf swirl on a green backdrop; double-click this and you should get to the window popup as shown in the OP's post.

Discordia666
1st Dec 2008, 18:58

But then you'll have problems with some other game. Then where will you go? Matrox?

Kroft
1st Dec 2008, 20:21
lol u got a good point there...ATI does look very good right about now...Last ATI I had was a 9800pro and that was an EXCELLENT card at the time =D

I guess its time for me to switch sides :thumbsup:

yea, I use the 4870. If you upgrade to the 4850/4870 you'll be able to play all new pc games. I stopped using nvidia cards a year ago; you start to notice that nvidia cards cost 100-200$ more than nessacery. Something that got very obvious when the 4870 came.

RobertD
2nd Dec 2008, 02:04
Unfortunately the NVidia utility doesn't seem to detect Steam-integrated games on my computer. :(

Edit - forced the changes anyway but sadly no effect; the game still runs as before.

tiger
2nd Dec 2008, 03:00

Oh wow, that weird stuff sounds like an almost antique mapping problem called HOM, Hall Of Mirrors, effect?

Hall of mirrors effect at Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_of_mirrors_effect)

(And that could come from a simple crack in the map ("3d-game level" to console-types), where a mesh's point or edge simply did not meet with another one, properly. And the only way to fix one of those, is to never look there or fix and rebuild the map, mates.) :o

Btw, did it finally just go away, on its own or with your adjustments?

legato
2nd Dec 2008, 04:23
Oh wow, that weird stuff sounds like an almost antique mapping problem called HOM, Hall Of Mirrors, effect?

Hall of mirrors effect at Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_of_mirrors_effect)

(And that could come from a simple crack in the map ("3d-game level" to console-types), where a mesh's point or edge simply did not meet with another one, properly. And the only way to fix one of those, is to never look there or fix and rebuild the map, mates.) :o

Btw, did it finally just go away, on its own or with your adjustments?

I dunno, my gameplay stutters a bit here and there...the wacked out textures and flickering is still there....

I did a vram check...with 2 utilities...Both tests showed that my vram is messed up...

I get a log full of this:
Error at [0D496000]: must be FFFFFFFF, but found 00FFFFFF (bits: 11111111000000000000000000000000)

This is a test using Video Memory stress Test v1.7.

LOL i'm on the fence...Its either a cheap 9800gt or a 4850 equivalent...DOH!

ozraider
2nd Dec 2008, 09:51
But then you'll have problems with some other game. Then where will you go?

Down to the local games shop and let fly at the sales assistant with a barrage of obscenities. It will do no good, but make me feel better.

baultista
2nd Dec 2008, 17:02
All you're really doing is reducing the memory footprint on your vcard by disabling AA and AF.

Turn off triple-buffering from the game's initial setup screen if you have that on. It eats a fair bit of memory a well.

tiger
3rd Dec 2008, 05:21
All you're really doing is reducing the memory footprint on your vcard by disabling AA and AF.

Turn off triple-buffering from the game's initial setup screen if you have that on. It eats a fair bit of memory a well.

Very good points, Baultista! :thumbsup:

With problem games, I will turn-off every graphic-option and go to 800x600 or even 640x480, if I can.
(Silent Hill 4 forced players to start at 640x480, and with its internal custom AA and settings, it looked GREAT, mates!) :cool: