PDA

View Full Version : Overly intense environmental "rumbling" sound from the subwoofer?

DaSal
26th Nov 2008, 16:35
I'm playing Tomb Raider on the Xbox 360, and have a nice 5.1 setup, which usually, is just fine. However in this game it seems even if I have the game volume set pretty low, all the sounds in the game will be low volume but the subwoofer will still constantly make a pretty loud "rumbling" sound, that's supposed to be atmospheric I suppose. If I turn the volume up a lil' bit the rumbling becomes uncomfortably loud. Now I don't have this problem with any other games, or movies. It's not a huge problem cause I can just temporarily set it to be lower, but I was curious if anyone else is having this? It's quite annoying, and I don't see why it is. I suppose it's possible I have my sub set too high, but on other games and movies I never notice it being too loud. Meh.

_Love2Raid_
26th Nov 2008, 21:07
:scratch:

No, not me. But I have just 2.1 :o
Anyway, with the bass to the max, the ambience can get quite loud and disturbing of course, but on normal settings it's just fine.

One thing is quite funny: have you already played the Croft Manor level (2nd visit)?

Remember where you can find the Relic, that small tunnel? Well, I went there, but in that tunnel I heard this constant breathing sounds. It nearly freaked me out cause I thought there were some scary creatures at the other side of those rocks. Well, eventually of course there was no such thing, so it must have been Lara herself!:nut: :lol:

UMIST_For_Ever
26th Nov 2008, 21:22
It's only in quiet areas that her breathing becomes prominent - areas of Mexico are the same.

matches81
26th Nov 2008, 23:37
I basically have the exact same "problem" as the OP... excep that for him it isn't a problem, for me, though, it is. In any other games or movies the bass can get a bit loud, but always fits the rest of the sound, in TRU I'm just overwhelmed by the constant low rumble in almost every map. My current subwoofer is a passive one, so I don't have a way to turn it down on its own. The only solution is to turn the whole system down to the point I actually need subtitles to understand the dialogues. Pretty annoying.
In my opinion the sound mix goes way over the top with the low frequency stuff. Almost every map has a pretty loud "background rumble", be it wind in the caves, or the fire burning in the manor etc etc... it's just too much, especially since it's in the way of the music or dialogues sometimes. For today I stopped playing the game for this very reason. I just couldn't take the constant low grumble anymore, after an hour of play it starts getting on my nerves. Too bad, because otherwise it's a pretty great game, imo, except for the typical "Tomb Raider glitches" in movement and camera every now and then.
Playing on the PS3, btw.

DaSal
26th Nov 2008, 23:40
I basically have the exact same "problem" as the OP... excep that for him it isn't a problem, for me, though, it is. In any other games or movies the bass can get a bit loud, but always fits the rest of the sound, in TRU I'm just overwhelmed by the constant low rumble in almost every map. My current subwoofer is a passive one, so I don't have a way to turn it down on its own. The only solution is to turn the whole system down to the point I actually need subtitles to understand the dialogues. Pretty annoying.
In my opinion the sound mix goes way over the top with the low frequency stuff. Almost every map has a pretty loud "background rumble", be it wind in the caves, or the fire burning in the manor etc etc... it's just too much, especially since it's in the way of the music or dialogues sometimes. For today I stopped playing the game for this very reason. I just couldn't take the constant low grumble anymore, after an hour of play it starts getting on my nerves. Too bad, because otherwise it's a pretty great game, imo, except for the typical "Tomb Raider glitches" in movement and camera every now and then.
Playing on the PS3, btw.

That's odd though, you would think they would've figured this out in the soundmix. Maybe it's just specific subwoofers that have problems and not all. It does seem odd to me though. Like you said, if I leave my subwoofer at the default level I use for all other content, it's so loud it gets in the way of the game and gets on my nerves too, I'm lucky I can just turn it down I suppose.

matches81
26th Nov 2008, 23:46
That's odd though, you would think they would've figured this out in the soundmix. Maybe it's just specific subwoofers that have problems and not all. It does seem odd to me though. Like you said, if I leave my subwoofer at the default level I use for all other content, it's so loud it gets in the way of the game and gets on my nerves too, I'm lucky I can just turn it down I suppose.
Yeah, it is odd, they definitely should have noticed this when mixing... on the other hand, recent blockbusters have gone pretty "bass-happy", too, seems to be a trend. Normally, I like having a decent deep rumble here and there, if it fits... TRU just overdoes it by a long shot. I'm currently in Mexico and I play this game on pretty soft volumes, but the thunderstorm in the game shakes the ground a lot more than a normal real thunderstorm does here ;)

stevenJack
16th Dec 2008, 06:30
I also have exactly same problem, but not got any solution till now.:rasp:

Click4carbon (http://www.click4carbon.com/)

v0yce
4th Jan 2009, 21:07
I too am having this problem and its really taking the enjoyment out of the game.

I simply cannot play the game more than 5 minutes without getting ear fatigue. And its really no fun adjusting my sub settings every time I want to play this one game. Because it sounds great with every other game and movie I watch.

This is for the 360 for what that's worth.