PDA

View Full Version : Loading screen freeze

Shinascus
25th Nov 2008, 15:30
Hello,

I bought tomb raider underworld for the pc.
Now i have installed it and when i want to start playing i press "start new game" then comes the big bang in the house and it moves on to a loading screen.
The thing that makes some spins in the loading screen turns like maybe 2 times then my screen turns black for less then 1 second and it comes back up and it's fully stuck! the only thing i can do to unfreeze is by using ALT+CTRL+DEL

What is this?? plz help me. i cant find anything about it on the internet.

Computer specs are:
Manufacturer: OEM Manufacturer
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 500 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Monitor: Algemeen PnP-beeldscherm
Sound Card: Luidsprekers (High Definition Audio-apparaat)
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Razor Copperhead
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612

Shinascus
26th Nov 2008, 20:15
can anyone plz reply?

chriswestuk
27th Nov 2008, 01:43
Hi there i had the exact same problem as you.

I thought it was strange as i had recently installed a fresh PC with latest drivers to all hardware and all service packs and updates to windows xp.

my system is pretty fast (being a dual core 2 - 2.66 overclocked to 3.54mhz - 3GB of ram and a Nvidia 8800GTS 512MB gfx card). - i did a few test such as deactivated overclocking and i even downgraded the nvidia graphics card driver to a previous one that Eidos told me to try) - but it did not work, still the same problem that you described.

Luckily, when i installed my system i had created image backups using Acronis True Image software, i had 2 backups, one which included all my software i use and the second backup was a more "core" only system.

Tomb Raider seem to work with the "core" only system backup i had.

The reason im telling you all this is that inmy "full" backup there must have been something that was preventing the game from running.....but now the strange thing....

I went back and loaded up the backup that contained the full system, installed Tome Raider again...and now it works on that system"...the question is why didnt it work before and now it does??

I do remember when i installed Tomb Raider originally while it was installing i used Adobe Premiere to render a video file - so maybe Adobe Premiere loaded up some system resources that conflicted with the installation of Tomb Raider?? maybe?

or i did previously install Call of Duty 5 and also Far Cry 2 maybe these installed games had somehow changed my system preventing Tomb Raider to work? or maybe installing these previous games had somehow changed DirectX files?? (but not sure if that is viable as i had always kept DirectX up to date).

So maybe you should ask yourself are there any other games that are installed on yoru system that may be conflicting with Tomb Raider?

Why not try uninstalling any game you have on your system including uninstalling Tomb Raider, make sure ALL files on your computer are up to date, including Window Service Packs, and Direct X etc etc then install Tomb Raider (and while it installs dont touch the computer). once it installed play the game straight away and see it it works?

(by the way when i ran the game i kept everything to default values and even on the mansion animation cut scene i skipped it by pressing the the enter key on the keyboard.

i hope that some of what i wrote has given you an insight to maybe try to get it to work.

chris

MikeHawthorne
27th Nov 2008, 05:07
Hi

I had the same thing.
I uninstaller and then reinstalled the game on my second hard drive and it loaded.
It took almost 2 minutes to load.

The game really ran slow, and froze, ever few minutes for a few seconds.
It dropped out to the blue screen every time I did a manual save.

I lowered the setting from 1920 by 1200 (what I run most things on, including Age of Conan) to 1280 by 1024 and turned off everything else. It ran better but still like a silent movie.

Finally I went into Nvidia control panel and started turning off more stuff for TRU.

Eventually I got it so that it is playable, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

I am going to get a new computer after the holidays, but this computer has always run every thing.

Right now I have "The Witcher, and Warhammer Online, installed and running fine.

My specs.

Windows XP service pack 3.
Pentium Dual Core at 3ghx.
Nvidia 7800 GTX
2 gig ram.

I run two configurations with one just for gaming, that loads only the Services and Startup items necessary to run games.

If you want info on how to configure your computer for best performance check out "Black Viper dot com.

Every thing you need to know is there.

Mike