PDA

View Full Version : What is the essence of DX1 that DX3 must have?

FrankGuy
25th Nov 2008, 03:07
These are the essential things that made DX1 compelling for me. I would like to know from the developers what they are thinking about these points in their design for DX3. And for everyone else what are the essentials that made DX1 compelling for you?

Will there be multiple paths or solutions to each game situation?

Will the game allow nonviolent solutions to the various situations?

Will our game play choices be moral dilemmas in shades of gray that at least *imitate* the best and most subtle literature?

Will there be at least one big plot twist?

Will there be more than one ending and replay option?

Will the dialogue be *acted out* passionately by unknown voice actors instead of being *read* in their respective iconic manners by big name budget busters stealing resources from deeper game play development?

Will optional background story be available to us with readable books, notes and and interaction with incidental characters.

Will the game be long enough and detailed enough for us to care about the game characters?

Can we pick locks and hack computers on the sly to gain strategic advantage over the opposition?

René
25th Nov 2008, 03:28
I think you will be very happy with DX3.

AaronJ
25th Nov 2008, 03:39

/forum

DXeXodus
25th Nov 2008, 04:25
Awesome! :D

http://www.fishbot.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/nohands/yay.jpg

Jerion
25th Nov 2008, 04:28

:D :) :thumbsup: ;) :p :cool:

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 04:30

http://fc36.deviantart.com/fs30/f/2008/107/a/5/dancing_bannana_by_JohanVandenbussche.gif

Spyhopping
25th Nov 2008, 11:34
As of late I've been really disappointed with the length of games. I'll really start getting into it and then it finishes. :(
Its absolutely more important to think about quality over quantity, and I'm feeling really positive about DX3... But for some reason I'm worried about this aspect of it most, because this is an area where I've been disappointed so many times before.

But anyway

:D:D:D

spm1138
25th Nov 2008, 12:30
I don't necessarily agree.

Michael Ironside is at least 30% of why Splinter Cell works.

Psychomorph
25th Nov 2008, 12:41
Will there be multiple paths or solutions to each game situation?
Linearity is death, it is a blast to know the environment is rich in possibilities when you play it.

Will there be more than one ending and replay option?
Personally I'm not the biggest fan of multiple endings, you just end up loading the last save to find each ending out by making the choice accordingly.

I at least would like to see multiple endings with a major outro, showing you exactly the consequence of your choice (cutscene showing cities, people, order, narrative explanation, an insight into the future, etc).

Though, knowing DX3 is a precedessor to DX1, what choice do we have? or doesn't it matter, because the multiple choices we will have all lead to the same result?
I actually think, that it would be most interesting if the ending of the game is shaped by the game itself, the events and the forces that occure, not by your personal decision. You as a player should feel that the events that happen are bigger than you, you can not control it with a simple click, the destiny plays its own game, you can only make a decision for yourself, decide where you stay or where you go to.

JakePeriphery
25th Nov 2008, 12:48
The best part about Deus Ex 1 for me was how they made it seem like you were working your way through these huge near-future metro environments as a secret agent bamf. I'm going to gather some screen shots from my favorite moments of the game...

Spyhopping
25th Nov 2008, 13:15
I actually think, that it would be most interesting if the ending of the game is shaped by the game itself, the events and the forces that occure, not by your personal decision. You as a player should feel that the events that happen are bigger than you, you can not control it with a simple click, the destiny plays its own game, you can only make a decision for yourself, decide where you stay or where you go to.

I agree, but as you touched on at the end of that paragraph, the multiple endings could easily be something not particularly major and ground breaking to the DX world. Whatever part Adam has played to effecting the big events could have already happened before the very end of the game.
It could be something unimportant to the overall plot of Deus ex, but something very important to Adam as a character.
There are huge possibilitys if the game comes back round to Adam's story at the end of the game. Choosing his personal story in the end would mean that the player will actually be able to empathise and understand the decisions and know the impact of them.

When I was choosing the ending of DX1, I had trouble deciding because each one would involve so many different variables and the impact of each was ambiguous. Although I wouldn't say that was a bad thing.

Psychomorph
25th Nov 2008, 13:46
I agree, but as you touched on at the end of that paragraph, the multiple endings could easily be something not particularly major and ground breaking to the DX world. Whatever part Adam has played to effecting the big events could have already happened before the very end of the game.
It could be something unimportant to the overall plot of Deus ex, but something very important to Adam as a character.
There are huge possibilitys if the game comes back round to Adam's story at the end of the game. Choosing his personal story in the end would mean that the player will actually be able to empathise and understand the decisions and know the impact of them.
Yes, that's what I mean, no multiple endings on the large scale, but on the individual scale. You can say we know what happens after DX3, but we do not know what happens with Adam.

Spyhopping
25th Nov 2008, 13:53
You can say we know what happens after DX3, but we do not know what happens with Adam.

I guess thats one of the reasons why strong character development will be so important. I already care about what happens to him though, because he looks so cool :D

spm1138
25th Nov 2008, 14:27
You must have used serious scientific methods to calculate that.:p

Seriously though, while I agree that he made an amazing contribution to the Splinter Cell series, I think its importance depends on the game's genre. And for DX, I'm sure the majority would gladly sacrifice ultra-serious voice acting to blend that budget and effort into the technical portion of the game itself.

My only compaint about DX's voice acting is the ludicrous Chinese accent in Hong Kong and using a different actor for Tracer Tong in IW. In general, it was average, and adequate. So it shouldn't be a priority in DX3.

Oh I did. I used a calculator and made a graph.

Depends how important the character is to the game I suppose.

A convincing "Adam Jensen" certainly couldn't hurt anything.

I agree generally that good voice acting is important (which is what I think we were both getting at) to selling the game world.

Decard
25th Nov 2008, 15:28
Voice acting, huh? I strongly suggest visiting this (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1340118/) place.

FrankGuy
25th Nov 2008, 15:43
I agree on the importance of the voice acting. It must be good and although I think that the big names hired for Oblivion and Half-Life 2 for example did a good job they weren't necessary. The world is absolutely filled with musical voices and high spirited fun seekers. Go on any of the many Karaoke sites and you will find some voices from the average engineer, accountant or floor sweeper that are absolutely as good or better than the average "professional" singer. Furthermore if unknowns are used even if they are modestly paid professional unknowns the aural result will be as fresh and unique as was DX1. Surely in Montreal a few good local voices could be found that can deliver a line of English dialoque with a believable French or Chinese accent. :)

spm1138
25th Nov 2008, 16:01
It's not just saying the words, it's saying them convincingly.

If the actors don't sound like they give a toss about the secret plot to blah blah whatever it makes it difficult for the gamer to.

J.CDenton
25th Nov 2008, 16:02

Be sure to make it long! To make the pleasure long too!

;)

FrankGuy
25th Nov 2008, 16:42
It's not just saying the words, it's saying them convincingly.

If the actors don't sound like they give a toss about the secret plot to blah blah whatever it makes it difficult for the gamer to.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I *am* saying that big ticket "well known" names aren't the way to achieve a fully credible and fresh result. DX1 didn't need it. DX3, I think, can, with careful casting, even surpass DX1 with convincing and appealing voice acting with relative unknowns.

spm1138
25th Nov 2008, 17:13
I'd rate DX1 no better than "OK".

Some of the voices were terrible and a lot of them were passable at best.

René
25th Nov 2008, 18:28
^^ A bomb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1qKzIsisU)!

Tracer Tong
25th Nov 2008, 21:49

What a shame.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAPXMZk2iw) :rasp:

Good to know that you went on to update IMDB as well

rhalibus
25th Nov 2008, 23:02
Voice acting, huh? I strongly suggest visiting this (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1340118/) place.

And for a sample (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHi6CthkQpw) of what Adam Jensen might sound like...

Decard
26th Nov 2008, 01:22
I'm a bit worried...he sounds like a perfectly normal John Doe to me, hehe.

Spyhopping
26th Nov 2008, 01:52
I actually think that voice could really work. The quieter voice at 3.30 would fit well, its unusual

Yargo
26th Nov 2008, 01:56
Needs to be more masculine. :D

Pull the Schwarzenegger card. Get Down!
*only joking*

I think he'd be alright.

GmanPro
26th Nov 2008, 01:58
Get to the Choppa!!!! :D

ZylonBane
26th Nov 2008, 02:07
Unless they reproduce DX's simulationist approach to the actual gameplay, nothing else will really matter. So no special "modes" (I'm in "cover" mode! Yay!), no smegging quicktime events, no invisible walls, no magic baton-disabling energy fields. Let me do things for no good reason. If I want to smoke myself to death, let me! If I want to gather all the bodies in a one-mile radius and use them to spell out funny words, let me!

And make the world feel like it doesn't exist solely for the player's benefit. Have rooms and entire areas that serve no gameplay purpose, but that logically should be there.

In short, make me feel like I'm running around in an actual world, not a carefully-sculpted "experience".

rhalibus
26th Nov 2008, 08:41
Get to the Choppa!!!! :D

Un' keep yuh hed dauwn, Dey tryin' to keel yoo...

Chenny! Nooooooooooo! Aaaaaaaaarugh!

:cool:

And yes, an immersive world is what we're all hoping for--with both of those terms being important...

Psychomorph
26th Nov 2008, 11:09
Jack: Oh my god JC, a BOMB!
JC: A BOMB!

Hilarious.

Tracer Tong
26th Nov 2008, 11:18
Jack: Oh my god JC, a BOMB!
JC: A BOMB!

Hilarious.

Can't stop myself from bursting into laughing every time.

Priceless

FrankGuy
26th Nov 2008, 22:01
Unless they reproduce DX's simulationist approach to the actual gameplay, nothing else will really matter. So no special "modes" (I'm in "cover" mode! Yay!), no smegging quicktime events, no invisible walls, no magic baton-disabling energy fields. Let me do things for no good reason. If I want to smoke myself to death, let me! If I want to gather all the bodies in a one-mile radius and use them to spell out funny words, let me!

And make the world feel like it doesn't exist solely for the player's benefit. Have rooms and entire areas that serve no gameplay purpose, but that logically should be there.

In short, make me feel like I'm running around in an actual world, not a carefully-sculpted "experience".

I'm not sure that I get all of your points here in detail but in so far as it can be paraphrased as "In the first person, completely in the first person and nothing but the first person" then I agree with it as one of the essentials for me that I didn't mention. I have never liked any game that has you manipulating or even *watching* some little virtual doll as if you were in an out of body dream. Cut scenes are ok for me at critical points in a plot to tell or decide the story direction but I like how valve transformed them into player interactive events in Half-Life 2. The VATS in Fallout 3 is ok too since it's *optional* and offers an additional set of interesting choices to the player but the camera perspective on the strike delivery is often kludged and the slow motion conclusion painfully exacerbates the lameness.

Having not seen it, I can't say without doubt that I won't like the third person way DX3 will take the game control away from me to show the old man how young people do "cool stuff" but I *am* willing to bet my best Christmas tie that, since I never have, I won't like it this time either and I can only beg them to to make a 100% interactive video game and keep the movies for their TV advertisements. It will be a winner for all since cynical misanthropes like me almost never watch TV and the cool people who do can be draw in like flies to... stuff. :)

El_Bel
26th Nov 2008, 22:15
What a shame.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAPXMZk2iw) :rasp:

Its not funny any more... and the next line is by far better!! "JC: He was a good man, what a rotten way to die"

niko86
27th Nov 2008, 13:08
Deus Ex 1 for me was the scale of the levels. Liberty Island, Hells Kitchen, Hong Kong etc you had vast areas to roam without a loading screen in sight. Deus Ex 2 was limited by its engine so unfortunately everything was very compact areas with lots to do in them but it felt cramped and totally spoiled the immersion.

Obviously again the engine used for Deus Ex 3 will be the contraining factor but we all got nice supercomputer consoles and dual core processors so hopefully that wont be an issue :D

TrickyVein
30th Nov 2008, 20:10
DX3 needs to have an essence of DX3, not DX1, not DX2, but purely DX3 - I'd love to see a groundbreaking game/blockbuster hot piece of smokin' finger lickin' good DX3 game than something that falls short trying to be too much like its predecessors.

ZylonBane
30th Nov 2008, 21:20
DX3 needs to have an essence of DX3, not DX1, not DX2, but purely DX3
Prepare to be lynched.

GmanPro
30th Nov 2008, 22:49
DX3 needs to have an essence of DX3, not DX1, not DX2, but purely DX3

I think it will, and in a good way. :thumbsup:

FrankGuy
1st Dec 2008, 03:28
DX3 needs to have an essence of DX3, not DX1, not DX2, but purely DX3 - I'd love to see a groundbreaking game/blockbuster hot piece of smokin' finger lickin' good DX3 game than something that falls short trying to be too much like its predecessors.

Ok. Isn't that what we look for in each new game?

Now, since they are using the Deus Ex brand, why or maybe how does that apply to the new game? Why have they called us (Deus Ex fans) all here?

TrickyVein
1st Dec 2008, 13:00
Here:

The parts of DX2 that were actually good were those that were unique to its title. The game started to suck when they reintroduced Tong and other characters from the first game, etc, etc. DX2 lost its own "essence" when it tried to tie in too much from DX1.

So instead of constantly asking yourself along the way if DX3 is "DX1ish enough" let it develop its own universe and story without falling into a hole like DX2.

This is what I mean.

3nails4you
1st Dec 2008, 17:28
One of my favorite things that made the game complete was the fact that I could drop everything except the baton and, with a little tact, wipe out all of Wan Chai Market. :D

ZylonBane
1st Dec 2008, 18:37
So instead of constantly asking yourself along the way if DX3 is "DX1ish enough" let it develop its own universe and story without falling into a hole like DX2.
I can get plenty of high-quality "not Deus Ex" from games that don't have "Deus Ex" in the title.

I think I can safely assure you that the majority of the people who are interested in DX3 are NOT hoping for a game that doesn't feel like Deus Ex. That would just be... insane.

WTO SpecOp #1136
2nd Dec 2008, 01:14
Will the dialogue be *acted out* passionately by unknown voice actors instead of being *read* in their respective iconic manners by big name budget busters stealing resources from deeper game play development?

I hope at least the voice actors are good. There have been so many moments in games where one or more of the characters would sound like a computer talking.

GmanPro
2nd Dec 2008, 02:01
It really annoys me when I'm playing a game and I start to notice that a lot of NPC's have the same voice actor (Bethesda!!!), It seems to me like it wouldn't be all that hard to just get a different voice actor, or at the very least, modify the voice so it sounds somewhat different.

Also! I am getting really sick and tired of RPG's that follow the same boring system (recent Bioware games come to mind). Every time I get into a conversation with an NPC there always seems to be just three things to do; the good thing, the neutral thing, and the bad thing. I just want to do what I feel like doing, you know? I want to choose the dialogue option I think is best for the situation, instead of being forced to choose the "I'm a nice guy!" option, or the "I'm an *******!" option, or the "I don't care!" option based on the alignment of my character. Deus Ex 1 didn't have this problem, but IW's conversations felt very bland and forgetful. I want good writing please! Something along the lines of Baldur's Gate!

Sense/Net
5th Dec 2008, 23:46
As long as it's not a sloppy console port I think I'll be happy :D

jc_lemon_lime
6th Dec 2008, 03:43
:cool: ^ Sense/NET? nice Gibson reference:)

TrickyVein
9th Dec 2008, 06:38
I recently saw a vid on YouTube where some player bypassed a laser-trip-beam with pepper spray (was that on here? Dunno)

DX1 assumed an intelligent player. That is the assumption that DX3, hopefully, will make as well.

Unstoppable
9th Dec 2008, 07:46

I was sort of naive back then and lost Paul and Jock on my first run. I didn't realize that you could save them both after I read a walkthrough online.

Games typically didn't do that they were so linear. Deus Ex changed my life for the better. That's why it's the best game I've ever played. What Warren and his team did was very special. I hope you guys pull it off as well. I want it to be Game of the Year. :thumb:

jordan_a
9th Dec 2008, 07:49
I recently saw a vid on YouTube where some player bypassed a laser-trip-beam with pepper sprayOn DX2 if you threw a chair at the laser you had less than one second to avoid it.

Digitaldruid
9th Dec 2008, 08:07
Imo one of the key factors that really gave depth to DX1 was the music. the sound tracks connected well with the missions. this is where dx2 felt a little bland.
secondly it was always a pleasure walking through and exploring large environments like liberty island,hells kitchen,Hong kong and paris streets while dx2 felt a bit claustrophobic and constricted during many levels and i hope this changes in dx3

Unstoppable
9th Dec 2008, 08:10
Imo one of the key factors that really gave depth to DX1 was the music. the sound tracks connected well with the missions. this is where dx2 felt a little bland.
secondly it was always a pleasure walking through and exploring large environments like liberty island,hells kitchen,Hong kong and paris streets while dx2 felt a bit claustrophobic and constricted during many levels and i hope this changes in dx3

Definitely. Music way sublime. Must have great music just like Deus Ex. When I walk into the office I want it to be like the first time I walked into Unatco HQ. Made me feel like I was entering the C.I.A. Headquarters or something. Made me feel like I was there. It was breath taking.

Music on Queue is very important to trigger immersion!

GmanPro
9th Dec 2008, 18:09
The Deus Ex music is easily the most memorable aspect of the game. You don't usually see that with other games, even good ones. So that is definitely the "essence of DX1 that DX3 must have." Its the only thing that EM hasn't officially tried to come out and reassure us over.

Jerion
9th Dec 2008, 18:14
Probably because the music isn't finished yet.

GmanPro
9th Dec 2008, 18:20
Yeah. They are probably going to wait untill the very end to make sure the music fits the mood of the level. I really hope its good. :thumb:

Digitaldruid
9th Dec 2008, 22:40
interestingly when u do a postmortem of DX2 you will notice that it failed in raising the bar set by its predecessor not because of dumbed down gameplay mechanics or because it was a horrible resource hog rather it failed in recreating the feel/essence of its predecessor. here is a short list of elements I feel could have really improved DX2 and is hopefully considered in DX3.

a) using data cubes,news terminals more extensively to inform the players about his environment/world. i remember hacking into most computers in dx1 not for passwords or key codes but to read the internal mail and other communique. the part i loved most was opening everyone's mail account at unatco HQ

b) adding details to the level that reflect the gravity of a scenario. ex - in hell's kitchen with the drug addicts/pimps/thugs lurking in the corner, people getting mugged, wounded riot cops running for cover and streets strewn with corpse of dead NSF cadre added a sense of gritty realism and the feel of civil war in progress. similarly you could sense a certain fear,anxiety and xenophobia in the streets of hong kong.

c) make exploring levels a rewarding experience rather than a chore. In DX2 i found many levels to be a pain in the ass rather than contributing much to the plot like mako ballistics and blackgate labs.

i have too many points to mention and its 4.00am in the morning and i'm off to hit the bed more updates later

Big Orange
10th Dec 2008, 15:26
Why have people got an aversion to B/C-lister actors doing voice work for Deus Ex games? The first Deus Ex was a product of it's time so would have most of the voice actors be drawn from the development team or 'amdram' clubs. The hugely successful Grand Theft Auto games are reknowned for hiring a few big name stars (like Woods and Jackson) and a legion of B/C-listers, but that is not detrimental.

I wouldn't mind it if many of the characters in Deus Ex 3 were voiced by actors like Jeremy Northam, Nigel Bennett, Ethan Phillips, Bob Picardo, Summer Glau, Jeri Ryan, David Hewlett, Adam Baldwin, Ron Glass, Tim Russ, Claudia Black, Colm Meaney, Stuart Wilson, John Rhys-Davies, Michael Shanks and Jeffrey Combs, for example. Fairly big name cult stars, but reliable, not very bloated in terms of fees and could give performances that are perfectly in keeping with the mood of the first Deus Ex game (I feel).

Necros
10th Dec 2008, 15:49
There are a lot of great actors in that list. :thumbsup: Just because someone is not a big star that doesn't mean he or she isn't at least as good. :)
You mentioned Claudia Black too. What about Gigi Edgley (Chiana)? I think she would be perfect in a Deus Ex game.

spm1138
10th Dec 2008, 17:15
Gigi Edgley

Her character could look like her too.

Just saying :gamer:

Jerion
10th Dec 2008, 17:39
Why have people got an aversion to B/C-lister actors doing voice work for Deus Ex games? The first Deus Ex was a product of it's time so would have most of the voice actors be drawn from the development team or 'amdram' clubs. The hugely successful Grand Theft Auto games are reknowned for hiring a few big name stars (like Woods and Jackson) and a legion of B/C-listers, but that is not detrimental.

I wouldn't mind it if many of the characters in Deus Ex 3 were voiced by actors like Jeremy Northam, Nigel Bennett, Ethan Phillips, Bob Picardo, Summer Glau, Jeri Ryan, David Hewlett, Adam Baldwin, Ron Glass, Tim Russ, Claudia Black, Colm Meaney, Stuart Wilson, John Rhys-Davies, Michael Shanks and Jeffrey Combs, for example. Fairly big name cult stars, but reliable, not very bloated in terms of fees and could give performances that are perfectly in keeping with the mood of the first Deus Ex game (I feel).

Don't forget Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris. :thumbsup:

Necros
10th Dec 2008, 19:50
Her character could look like her too.

Just saying :gamer:
Yeah. I don't know why but she reminds me of that party girl from the Paris Club in DX1. :D Anyway, a very energetic character would be perfect for her, though she could do anything, Gigi is a very good actress.

Big Orange
11th Dec 2008, 01:54
Don't forget Nathan Fillion and Neil Patrick Harris. :thumbsup:

Yes they both crossed my mind as well, and also how about Melinda Clarke, Tony Todd, Denis Lawson, Paul Guilfoyle, Christopher Ryan, Jim Cummings, Garret Wang, Mark Harmon, Tom Baker, Wayne Pygram, Colin McFarlane, Marc Alaimo and Chi McBride as well? Would they be good choices for Deus Ex characters?

GmanPro
11th Dec 2008, 03:25
We need more Kevin Michael Richardson in video games. :cool: :thumb:

Big Orange
11th Dec 2008, 11:06
And John DiMaggio.:whistle:

Digitaldruid
11th Dec 2008, 11:21
dominc armato :D

Big Orange
11th Dec 2008, 14:22
In addition to Enn Reitel and Seth Green.:nut:

Jellybelly
11th Dec 2008, 14:53
What is the essence of Deus Ex? Internal consistency, the one thing the Montreal crew have decided to throw out.

Spyhopping
11th Dec 2008, 15:08
What is the essence of Deus Ex? Internal consistency, the one thing the Montreal crew have decided to throw out.

I can't see anything which demonstrates that EM have failed to reliably represent the original Deus ex, if that is what you mean.
And how have you come to the conclusion that internal consistency the essence of DX...?

René
11th Dec 2008, 15:14
^^ I'm guessing it's a reference to the narrative, characters, etc, and that since we are a new dev team creating a prequel, he is worried that DX3 won't fit into the DX universe. At least, that's my guess.

Jellybelly
11th Dec 2008, 15:28
Pretty close. I recently made a new post briefly detailing some of my views on this. Nothing exhaustive, though, but to my mind valid concerns.

Spyhopping
11th Dec 2008, 15:43
It's never going to be easy for someone to create something successful and then self assess exactly what it was that made it so great-- self evaluation will always be flawed. That was probably one of the reasons that IW wasn't on the same level as its predecessor
Thats why I think that a brand new dev team taking this on is positive- EM has a fresh and a more objective view of what made DX special

mackingu
11th Dec 2008, 17:11
I don't know about "essence" but I hope DX3 has more NPCs than DX1 or 2 did. I always felt better about myself after killing everyone in Hell's Kitchen (especially the kid who wanted MY chocolate bar) :D

Digitaldruid
11th Dec 2008, 18:49
(especially the kid who wanted MY chocolate bar) :D

wasn't the kid in battery park.

mackingu
11th Dec 2008, 21:10
wasn't the kid in battery park.

Oops, I stand corrected. Either way, I hated that kid. :)

nathanj
18th Dec 2008, 08:17
i think its kinda funny how people were having strokes about killable children in fallout 3. i pointed out in a couple of posts all the kids you could kill in deus ex. no one seemed to be bothered by that when the game was released. :)

as someone who plays deus ex at least once a year if not more (try out the texture packs they make it look alot nicer) i have a couple of suggestions.

first off a graphics engine that doesnt suck......i would even prefer that they license one from someone else. IW graphics engine was horribly unoptimized.

different ammo. i thought the all in one ammo trick was just that a cheap lazy way out of managing in game ammo. i like have to switch weapons knowing that im running low on that ammo. takes alot of fun out of it when it doesnt matter what gun you use as long as you have the generic "ammo".

from some of the art im getting the impression that your characters looks change as you implant more stuff. im hoping that this has a negative consequence when dealing with people (at least nonenhanced people). this would balance out having spikes in your arms or having a modified ***** that can shoot plasma streams.

i doubt its possible being that deus ex is heavily story driven.....however some kind of sandbox play or replayable missions would be really nice. an open world where you can do things in pretty much any order would also be welcome since many people have been spoiled lately with that, including me.

and finally........and this is the biggest mostest important thing in the whole wide world........please release an SDK or make the game easily modifiable. i have a feeling that if this is made for consoles and pcs that the vanilla game will be crap for pc users and will need fixes for the UI and other console issues.

thank you console kiddies for destroying video games. :(

singularity
18th Dec 2008, 09:33
I loved the music of DX1, and think that good voice acting is key in a story-based game that is dialogue heavy (and adds a lot to games that aren't dialogue heavy). I was able to look past every flaw that Mass Effect had, because when the characters spoke, it made me feel like they had just lost loved ones -- like they had just made an important revelation -- like they were enraged about their current situation. Michael Ironside IS Sam Fisher. If he doesn't do voice work on SC5, I will have some serious reservations about purchasing the title.

But for me, the one thing that kept me coming back to DX1 (and made me largely dislike DX2) was the atmosphere. DX felt dark, claustrophobic and paranoid. It was probably the closest I've seen to a video-game representation of a William Gibson novel -- high technology in low-class society. Playing the game, it felt like I was watching a noir film -- like I was some futuristic Sam Spade (for those of you who are too young, do a google) entwined in the conspiracy to end all conspiracies. It felt like the world was ending (or already had), and despite our state-of-the-art technology, human beings were still scraping to get by. We had turned our God into a machine and our machines had failed us (or were destined to save us?).
DX 2, in terms of the graphics, music, color palate, building designs, weapon designs, etc. felt more Halo, less Bogart. More of Will Smith's IRobot, less of Harrison Ford's Blade Runner.

Gibson saw the future as a threat, not a promise -- something dirty and grimy, not shiny and pretty -- the future of mankind as something that wasn't to be looked forward to, despite the extreme levels of technology we were destined to craft. And from his works sprung a Sci-fi movement we now call cyberpunk, and to me, Deus Ex has always been, and will always be, a sci-fi videogame that belongs to the cyberpunk movement. I would want Deus Ex 3 to be the same (and in doing so, wash the bad taste out of my mouth that was DX2).

Oh, and while you're at it, some heavy RPG elements, dialogue trees, moral choices, branching story-lines, multiple endings, and a few nifty augmentations and weapons would be cool too. If you have time. :)

InGroove2
18th Dec 2008, 15:10
I loved the music of DX1, and think that good voice acting is key in a story-based game that is dialogue heavy (and adds a lot to games that aren't dialogue heavy). I was able to look past every flaw that Mass Effect had, because when the characters spoke, it made me feel like they had just lost loved ones -- like they had just made an important revelation -- like they were enraged about their current situation. Michael Ironside IS Sam Fisher. If he doesn't do voice work on SC5, I will have some serious reservations about purchasing the title.

But for me, the one thing that kept me coming back to DX1 (and made me largely dislike DX2) was the atmosphere. DX felt dark, claustrophobic and paranoid. It was probably the closest I've seen to a video-game representation of a William Gibson novel -- high technology in low-class society. Playing the game, it felt like I was watching a noir film -- like I was some futuristic Sam Spade (for those of you who are too young, do a google) entwined in the conspiracy to end all conspiracies. It felt like the world was ending (or already had), and despite our state-of-the-art technology, human beings were still scraping to get by. We had turned our God into a machine and our machines had failed us (or were destined to save us?).
DX 2, in terms of the graphics, music, color palate, building designs, weapon designs, etc. felt more Halo, less Bogart. More of Will Smith's IRobot, less of Harrison Ford's Blade Runner.

Gibson saw the future as a threat, not a promise -- something dirty and grimy, not shiny and pretty -- the future of mankind as something that wasn't to be looked forward to, despite the extreme levels of technology we were destined to craft. And from his works sprung a Sci-fi movement we now call cyberpunk, and to me, Deus Ex has always been, and will always be, a sci-fi videogame that belongs to the cyberpunk movement. I would want Deus Ex 3 to be the same (and in doing so, wash the bad taste out of my mouth that was DX2).

Oh, and while you're at it, some heavy RPG elements, dialogue trees, moral choices, branching story-lines, multiple endings, and a few nifty augmentations and weapons would be cool too. If you have time. :)

amen to that.

with regards to voice acting... i don't need great acting... in fact semi bad acting is almost prefered (someone here remarked about the b-movie sensibility of DX, which is great). ALEX D's voice was far too.... uhh.... "young wide-eyed naive kid who just happens to have the ability to blow everything to pieces and save the world" that and leo jankowski's voice was too chipper, pretty much every voice was a little too cartoony. that REALLY blew it for me. from the first i heard alex speak.. i knew it was gonna be a let down.

gotta love the voice of walton simons and page and JD...

i also tend to reject making games OVERLY realistic because it just starts to beg questions in every aspect of the environment.... if the game is 80% realistic... that left over 20% seems just stooopid and takes you out of the environment. but in a more DX world where it presents you with familiarities and semi-realistic situations and things... there's so much of it that is blatantly unrealistic and for effect, it drew me into the game MUCH more because i stopped questioning that which was unreal, and just took it as a part of the DX world/game.....

Jerion
19th Dec 2008, 00:03
Yeah, I find illustrative environments to be more interesting and immersing. When you try for absolutely realistic environments, those things that you don't get right kill the mood.

singularity
19th Dec 2008, 01:51
That's true. Good science fiction has always been the successful blend of the familiar with the unfamiliar (or at least the art of giving a semi-plausable explaination to the unfamiliar). Exploring something fictional is always more fun (at least to me) than parading down a recreated New York City. Put parading down a recreated New York City filled with technology I am struggling to understand and filled with sights and sounds from a world and a time not my own... that's the stuff of greatness.

I remember walking through a train station in Half Life 2, not too dissimilar from countless others I've been within in real life, only to see soldiers wearing high tech body armor and gas masks, and a giant tele-screen telling my why it was important for me to medically exterminate my sex-drive. Quite the shift from the over-weight rent-a-cops and provacitive advertisements I'm used to... and I couldn't have thought of a better way to kick off such an adventure.

Kaigypsy
21st Dec 2008, 03:36

I went to that place. I proceeded to stare at him and those big blue eyes. YUM! :naughty: :thud: :thumb: