PDA

View Full Version : The System Shock Series

Dead-Eye
24th Nov 2008, 23:26
Anyone ever play System Shock? I tried once to play the original but couldn't get my head around the horrible controls. I did however play System Shock 2... and so should all of you because it's free from home of the underdogs. Let's just say that System Shock 2 is the best Servivel-Terror game to date. No other game matches it's ability to always keep you on the edge of your seat; even when cheating.

One of the big factors to this is that it has fairly complex game mechanics. Definitely takes some time to get around the controls and the skill system. Bioshock has the same mechanics but they are dumbed down to the point that Bioshock is not scary. Bioshock dose not keep me on the edge of my seat thinking that I need to watch my nanite level to make sure I can respon when I die again.

I sure hope that Deus Ex 3 doesn't lose some of it's magic by fallowing this logic to dumb everything down so that they can get 50 year old dads that have trouble finding the play button on the DVD remote to buy the game. We won't a challenge from Deus Ex 3 and it should be aimed at core gamers that use their brain when approaching problems. Please don't insult our intelligence again with Deus Ex 3 like Ion did with Invisible War.

GmanPro
24th Nov 2008, 23:49
SS2 was awesome, no doubt.

I'm pretty sure that DX3 will be a lot deeper story-wise than IW. And hopefully the actual gameplay will be as well. :thumbsup:

spm1138
25th Nov 2008, 00:48
Anyone ever play System Shock? I tried once to play the original but couldn't get my head around the horrible controls.

Yup.

Both were awesomesauce.

I didn't think #1 was too awkward for it's day. Compared to ASWD I guess it is.

I loved the HUD and MFDs and complicated weapons.

That 360 view thing was awesome.

rhalibus
25th Nov 2008, 01:33
I actually got an attack of claustrophobia in some of the lower levels of SS2; it's a tribute to the amazing sound quality and atmospheric immersion that Irrational Games and Looking Glass Studios was able to create.

Just hearing the muffled sounds of doors opening in a room adjacent to yours, knowing that the next doors opening would be the ones in your room...it was enough to cause panic. I've never been in another game that gave that kind of suspense; certainly not in today's horror games...

jordan_a
25th Nov 2008, 01:35
I almost bought SS2 on the net but the shipping cost were really expensive (Australia) and it was some kind of platinium box.

spm1138
25th Nov 2008, 01:44
If you can get them, I highly recommend it. Especially for a DX fan.

Great games and of historical interest.

SS2 has assorted graphical upgrades (similar to what the HDTP project for DX is trying to do) which render it a bit less ugly.

Bare minimum you want the official patch which fixes weapon degradation. They included some useless skills in the original skill tree and to make them useful they made the guns break down like Xbox360s.

jordan_a
25th Nov 2008, 01:48
I played it a little, but I don't like DL versions.

Dead-Eye
25th Nov 2008, 02:50
I played it a little, but I don't like DL versions.

I'm fairly sure the HOTUD version is legit if that's whats worrying you.

jordan_a
25th Nov 2008, 02:56
Hum okay. I've installed it again but the game is way too fast.

I've tried 60hz, One processor only, AA max but it won't do.

TrickyVein
25th Nov 2008, 04:20
Just hearing the muffled sounds of doors opening in a room adjacent to yours, knowing that the next doors opening would be the ones in your room...it was enough to cause panic. I've never been in another game that gave that kind of suspense; certainly not in today's horror games...

Scariest...*****...ever...

Engineering Cargo bays...

those little chimps, and The Many that would periodically show up and moan...with virtually no firepower or skills to repair broken weapons...all the while hearing that same soft humming/hollow wind sound (and not knowing what the **** is going on the first time you play)

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 04:33
I should have played it earlier. The graphics were just too old for me to get that "scary" feel from it. But it was still fun :thumbsup:

DXeXodus
25th Nov 2008, 04:43
I tend to agree with most people here in that System Shock 2 was a very scary game. The atmosphere is absolutely brilliant and immersive. I also owe a lot of it's success to its intricate game mechanics. Thats how games used to be and it is quite sad to see how the majority of recent games are getting dumbed down in order create more widespread appeal.

But I have hope for Deus Ex 3. Based on what we have seen with weapon, level and character (mechanical augmentations) design, it seems nice and intricate. And it has already been stated that there will be a return to the classic inventory system that we all loved from Deus Ex 1 and can see similarly in SS2.

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 04:51
I've heard that Dead Space was good. It's pretty much in the same vein as System Shock. Maybe not gameplay-wise, but the setting/style is very similar.

ZylonBane
25th Nov 2008, 04:55

Force vsync on. If that doesn't work, install DDFix (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121449). Also there's a true widescreen patch available.

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/1285/1337x666kq3.png

Bare minimum you want the official patch which fixes weapon degradation.
Yeah, if you're a pansy little baby girly man.

The game as shipped was balanced for the existence of weapon degradation. There are guns scattered all over the place. There are maintenance tools all over the place, and you can even buy them from the vending machines.

If your guns are continually breaking, it's because you're trying to play it like DOOM.

jordan_a
25th Nov 2008, 05:56
"Direct X 6 is not installed"

lol

I can't find where to touch VSYNC.

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 07:00
I had some trouble getting it to work on my pc. DDFix is a must. Good game tho, and worth the effort.

imported_van_HellSing
25th Nov 2008, 07:31
I'm fairly sure the HOTUD version is legit

It's not. (http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65259)

Psychomorph
25th Nov 2008, 12:05
Really wanted to try that, but it crashes on my XP, I assume the problem is my machine as such. But I liked the little bit I saw from that game, thief movement is nice.
Intend to try that again, or on a new machine (once there).

Psychomorph
25th Nov 2008, 12:25
Your dad is cool. :thumbsup:

UMIST_For_Ever
25th Nov 2008, 12:59
I played SS2 and absolutely loved it - it is the only game that has made me jump.

Anyway, the guys who wrote the SS series are running Bioshock ans Bioshock 2.

J.CDenton
25th Nov 2008, 15:54
I've tried to play it on Vista but the game seems not to start. I wish I could find a way, the screenshot is awesome!

SageSavage
25th Nov 2008, 16:27
I've tried to play it on Vista but the game seems not to start. I wish I could find a way, the screenshot is awesome!
SS1 or SS2? I recommend http://www.strangebedfellows.de/
It's a very competent site and yes, they speak English there... :)

Bluey71
25th Nov 2008, 17:07
System Shock 2 - absolute class act - work of art.

The way the game plays with your emotions, more of that please.

imported_van_HellSing
25th Nov 2008, 17:41
Anyway, the guys who wrote the SS series are ruining Bioshock ans Bioshock 2.

Fixed.

jordan_a
25th Nov 2008, 17:45
:thumbsup: A simple i can make a great post.

imported_van_HellSing
25th Nov 2008, 18:01
Dang, I only noticed the other typo now :o

Dead-Eye
25th Nov 2008, 21:58

Did you use the SS2 Tool?:http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,392

It tends to help.

I know what you mean, but my 50 year old dad, who is a bigger DX fan than myself would take offense.:D

Can he find the play button on the DVD player?

Freddo
25th Nov 2008, 23:40
I bought them both and they are among the very top of my favorite games of all time, from my 25 years of gaming.

Blade_hunter
26th Nov 2008, 01:52
For me SS2 is the game that can "complete DX 1" for me not the best of the two games, but it has some great elements that DX doesn't have and DX have some great elements that SS 2 doesn't have.

Combine the envolvement and the greatness of these two games and you obtain the best game ever.

In SS2 we gain the XP a bit at the same manner as DX except sometimes we find the XP in a bean or in a cadaver, but searching something in beans is exploration, isn't it ?

for informations look here
http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/pc/sysshock2/index.shtml

ZylonBane
26th Nov 2008, 01:57
In SS2 we gain the XP a bit at the same manner as DX except sometimes we find the XP in a bean or in a cadaver, but searching something in beans is exploration, isn't it ?
Beans? :scratch:

Blade_hunter
26th Nov 2008, 02:08
Sorry trash can :D

Yargo
26th Nov 2008, 04:29
Sorry trash can :D

First- how do you confuse beans and trash cans?
Second- How can trash cans, or beans for that matter, give you experience?

GmanPro
26th Nov 2008, 05:51
You found the xp inside them, (nanites I think they were called?:scratch: ), or in various other locations in the game. They were pretty rare and valuable... completely different approach to what EM is going for. SS2 wanted you to explore and investigate everything, down to the last dirty trash can.

Save up enough nanites and you can spend them to upgrade your skillz.

Dead-Eye
26th Nov 2008, 10:29
It was cybernetic models. The game had the idea that learning new skills on the fly was dumb so you got cybernetic models through out the game in different ways. When you found or received them you took them to the upgrade station and the machine would install the skill into your brain by reconfiguring the cybernetic models into Nero pathways that your brain could interpret as skills. This was all because you had R-Grad cybernetic implants that are kinda like JC augmentations but they were represented as skills not augs. Learning the skill took years in game time.

The game did have an augmentation system but it was no where near as good as Deus Ex. Really the skills where the augs in System Shock 2.

Nanites was the currency in the game BTW.

GmanPro
26th Nov 2008, 16:03
cybernetic modules* I remember now :thumbsup:

Yargo
26th Nov 2008, 16:12
If they were so important why would anyone put it in a trash can? :scratch:

SageSavage
26th Nov 2008, 16:53
Because Hackers do dumpster diving.

Blade_hunter
26th Nov 2008, 17:16
It's only the fact when you compare IRL and the game it's a bit "funny" to find cyber modules in a trash can, a locked box or even in a dead corpse (In DX we earn some xp by activating a switch or pass into a location, but never by searching in a corpse or a trash can, the XP in SS2 are a solid object and that is something illogical because experience - knowledge is an immaterial thing even if we can find somethings in books, but JC have no time for books :D

ZylonBane
26th Nov 2008, 19:00
the XP in SS2 are a solid object and that is something illogical because experience - knowledge is an immaterial thing even if we can find somethings in books
Gee, it's almost as if cybermods *aren't* XP. Yes, they perform much the same function as XP, but unlike XP, cybermods actually exist in-fiction.

It makes sense that you'd find them all over the place, since apparently cybermods are an important part of day-to-day operations on the Von Braun. Otherwise why would there be upgrade stations on every deck?

Dead-Eye
26th Nov 2008, 19:35
Gee, it's almost as if cybermods *aren't* XP. Yes, they perform much the same function as XP, but unlike XP, cybermods actually exist in-fiction.

It makes sense that you'd find them all over the place, since apparently cybermods are an important part of day-to-day operations on the Von Braun. Otherwise why would there be upgrade stations on every deck?

That's something I wonder about too. They have all these upgrade stations all over the ship and allot of cybernetic moduals but it seems as if no one else can use them but you. It would seem to me that if people could use them they would have until they max out all their skills in everything. If that where true surely there would be other bad asses aside from yourself running around and killing the Many. Maybe Tommy Suarez and Rebbecca Siddons were using the upgrade stations too seeing as they did survive.

Another thing that is weird is how can anyone on the ship die if their are all these self replicators around? Did they die after the computers were hacked by the Many and the replicators were turned off?

Blade_hunter
26th Nov 2008, 19:38
Yes but I just find it a bit strange even if it makes sense in the game, nothing wrong, some games uses more strange things and I won't hate them for that since it's enjoyable ...

ZylonBane
26th Nov 2008, 19:49
That's something I wonder about too. They have all these upgrade stations all over the ship and allot of cybernetic moduals but it seems as if no one else can use them but you. It would seem to me that if people could use them they would have until they max out all their skills in everything.
Three words: R. Grade. Implant. Note the "R". That means there are other grades of implant as well... ones that aren't illegal... ones that don't allow you to turn yourself into an overpowered ubermensch.

Another thing that is weird is how can anyone on the ship die if their are all these self replicators around? Did they die after the computers were hacked by the Many and the replicators were turned off?
Yes. One of the characters in the game explicitly tells you this.

spm1138
26th Nov 2008, 21:40
Anyone would think it was a videogame or something... :thumbsup:

ZylonBane
26th Nov 2008, 22:55
What?

spm1138
26th Nov 2008, 23:05
Frighteningly in depth discussion as to why experience points were an item to be picked up and the realism thereof

Euh

ZylonBane
26th Nov 2008, 23:27
Euh
Okay, now you're not even using real words.

Tycho
26th Nov 2008, 23:58
System Shock 2 is one of the best games I ever played, alone with Deus Ex, Gothic 1+2 (think they wasn't translated in English, but they are much less buggy and better than the 3) and probably I forgot some other games...

System Shock 2 is actually installed on my Laptop, though I have not played for a while.

cya
Tycho

gamer0004
27th Nov 2008, 14:51
Okay, now you're not even using real words.

It is a word in Dutch ^^ MS Word says so :rasp: