PDA

View Full Version : What René Said... elsewhere ;)

imported_van_HellSing
24th Nov 2008, 21:31
Large post from René on TTLG (http://ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1792651#post1792651)

I can't help but feel like I'm just digging a hole with each response, but I understand what some of you are feeling. First off, I hope I'm much more than just a PR guy. It's true I have to respect the company line in terms of what I can say right now, and that can totally affect some of the things I say or how I say them, but I like to think I'm much more than some PR schmoe.

For one thing, I bought the original game when it came out. Actually, I first played the demo and didn't really like it so I didn't buy it. But later when all of the great reviews starting coming in, I figured what the heck and just bought it (I was actually working at Electronics Boutique/EB Games/Gamestop at the time). And once I got through the Liberty Island level, the game's greatness was apparent so of course I finished it and ended up replaying it. These days, I game on every platform, I just finished Mirror's Edge and Gears of War 2 on Saturday, stopped playing Force Unleashed because I didn't like it, don't like Far Cry 2 enough to keep playing it, and my second attempt at playing through The Witcher from the beginning was a failure since I stopped, but that is one hella good game.

So I've been around in the game industry for a while but working here on Deus Ex 3 is a real dream job for me. Just as kind of open letter to you guys, yes I admit sometimes I can't say everything I want to say, but please believe me that I'm a gamer and I do care about everyone. When it comes to the team developing the game, yeah it's the studio's first title but the team is really experienced and talented and a large percentage of people, including the project's Leads, come from Ubisoft who has made some pretty damn good games in recent years, we're consulting with Sheldon Pacotti on the story, and have shown the game to multiple ex-Ion Storm/Deus Ex team members.

So we're trying. And I'm here. And I'm reading. And I'm talking to the dev team every day and letting them know what the community's feelings are. (I can tell you one controversial aspect has already been changed, but of course I can't say which one.) So I'm trying to check in here frequently but as always, you can reach me any time via the official forums by sending me a Private Message.

René

tl;dr version:

I'm talking to the dev team every day and letting them know what the community's feelings are. (I can tell you one controversial aspect has already been changed, but of course I can't say which one.)

rhalibus
24th Nov 2008, 22:01
Very eloquently stated. We are lucky, on many levels, to have an insider who is vigilant in responding and clarifying, and who seems to listen to us...

René
24th Nov 2008, 22:51
You guys (and gals) are your own worst enemies! I can have no secrets from you! I need to watch my back... ;)

Jerion
24th Nov 2008, 23:00
Something else René said elsewhere (http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/Picture1.png)...:whistle:

When I come rolling up north next year, I expect some straight answers! :p

GmanPro
24th Nov 2008, 23:38
^^
Score! :D

GmanPro - 1
Rest of Community - 0
Kieranator - 100

Yargo
25th Nov 2008, 01:25
^^^
Hey I'm at least at 5.... uh......units?

AaronJ
25th Nov 2008, 03:08
tl;dr version

There's two ways I can respond to this:

1. Yea, it's a prequel.

2. lol, I bet it's uni ammo.

DXeXodus
25th Nov 2008, 04:32
You guys (and gals) are your own worst enemies! I can have no secrets from you! I need to watch my back... ;)

We are everywhere. Connected by a universal conscience. Yes.

But yay. I don't care which controversial design decision they have changed...
So long as it is the regenerating health one :whistle:

Igoe
25th Nov 2008, 05:25
I don't care which controversial design decision they have changed...

BAHAHA.

WHATEVER the item is, it means they LISTEN to us. Which is a GOOD thing. I understand that developers have to stay true to their vision, otherwise all we'd get is recycled crap, but you also cant shoot us in the foot.

Look at it this way, For every 400 people who are upset about something, ONE of them will be geeky enough to join this forum and complain!

Thats why all the rage comes from PC forums. If a game is GOOD, everyone shuts up and plays the game. If a game is bad, most people shrug it off but the dedicated fans will take the extra step and pursue it.

We have a DEDICATED member of EM whose job is to TAKE IN ALL THE RAGE and funnel it into positive feedback toward DX3. This is INSANELY AWESOME on MULTIPLE LEVELS.

Rene, I know you go through a lot, but it will be worth it. To all the mods who keep this place well oiled, gratz to you too. This is the next step in game design, with both parties working together, and nothing but good will come of it if done right. (wipes off his nose with some toilet paper)

DXeXodus
25th Nov 2008, 06:19
We have a DEDICATED member of EM whose job is to TAKE IN ALL THE RAGE and funnel it into positive feedback toward DX3. This is INSANELY AWESOME on MULTIPLE LEVELS.

It is great to have a guy like Rene on board. Gives me a lot of hope for the outcome of this game.

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 07:47
He said that one thing has been changed, but that doesn't mean they took it out entirely:scratch:. Maybe it was auto-heal or third person, or whatever, doesn't matter... point is they are listening to us and it's nice having an admin here to bridge the gap between the community and the devs. We appreciate it :thumbsup: DX3 is going to be pure awesome.

D. Denton
25th Nov 2008, 16:05
Indeed a gratz to René and the admins...
You guys doing realy nice... to tell the truth this is the first forum for a game that realy do something with the feedback and qeustions they get from community members.... oh and not to forget the Dev team that arent sturborn to say he dude we create this game and those folks just have to do with it.... no they actually do something with the feedback to create a game for the community.....

Atleast it's not like The Sims where you pay a full buck for and what you get? You just get things that the community can create also with some mod tools...

So both thumbsup for the Mods and Dev's!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I and I think there are more with me agree to the above..

Kind Regards,

Dave

René
25th Nov 2008, 16:20
It's super-good to be here. I love working with everyone from top to bottom. And we're in it for the long haul so get used to us! Not just with DX3 but oTher projects too!

Yargo
25th Nov 2008, 16:49
It's super-good to be here. I love working with everyone from top to bottom. And we're in it for the long haul so get used to us! Not just with DX3 but oTher projects too!

Hey ThaTs an inTeresTing "T" you goT There. :D

D. Denton
25th Nov 2008, 17:06

Thief 4? :scratch: Héhéhé

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 20:34
Oh man, I'm salivating over the possibility of a really awesome thief game. :nut:

Jerion
25th Nov 2008, 20:37
Hehe, thanks Igoe. We try. :)

Slick René...:cool:

DXeXodus
26th Nov 2008, 11:54
Rene is like a little forum ninja!

René
26th Nov 2008, 14:46
No way man! My finger slipped on the keyboard! sEe? i Can'T conTrol iT!

Psychomorph
26th Nov 2008, 15:33
Thief 4 is a musT

imported_van_HellSing
26th Nov 2008, 15:45
So I was going through my collection of DX3 pics again, and looking at some of the pieces gives me a Thief vibe. The big hall, the mansion with the fireplace, also one of the Shanghai pics reminds me a lot of the City. Some idea cross-pollination, mayhaps? Anyway, I can't help but drool over what EM might have in store for Thief when it comes to art direction.

D. Denton
26th Nov 2008, 22:27
Lol maybe it's just going to be a next gen TeTris :P

K^2
26th Nov 2008, 22:48
But yay. I don't care which controversial design decision they have changed...
Rene already said it wasn't the health regen.

DXeXodus
27th Nov 2008, 11:05
He said that after I made that post.

Bloodwolf806
27th Nov 2008, 16:39

Where?

imported_van_HellSing
27th Nov 2008, 16:43
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=901651&postcount=11

Roi Danton
27th Nov 2008, 17:58
this "T" reminds me of the (german) Gamestar 12/2008 , there is a litttle annotation i posted in the general discussionthread at 11-19-2008, 01:48 AM :

"""
The "T-Poject"

A quarter of business premises eidos owns in montreal is still empty.
The studio is preparing for the third phase of expansion. Phase one was the
Quality assurance department; in montreal the most of the eidos-games have to be tested. at the moment primarily TR Underworld. In phase two the DX3-team was builded. In the third eidos builds a second team, they are now searching people for.
Official is the game, the new team has to develop, TOP SECRET!
But the Preparations are done under the name "T-PROJECT", and one employee says accidently a perfidiously "T4" during our visit.
On the desk of the marketing-department lie the three present Thief-Games, thats enough circumstantial evidence what classical series eidos will revive next."

:D

that´s enough info to increase my hopes

Bloodwolf806
28th Nov 2008, 00:58
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=901651&postcount=11

That wasn't a denial, he just said he hadn't specified what had changed.

Jerion
28th Nov 2008, 01:42
The problem was that speculation had gotten out of hand over something that he hadn't actually said.

Romeo
28th Nov 2008, 08:51
Except that you secretly love Gears of War 2! GOSH that is a good game.

Bono
30th Nov 2008, 13:01
...oTher projects too!

Since today is Thief 10th Anniversary, it might be a perfect day for the announ...

Oh, never mind, just dreamin'.

jordan_a
30th Nov 2008, 17:33
Really?

GmanPro
30th Nov 2008, 20:36
:eek: It totally IS!

Waiting for an announcement... :whistle:

Necros
2nd Dec 2008, 16:24
Not really. It could be the health regen but maybe they just modified the system. Perhaps something like in Far Cry 2 (there's HR too, only you have five "health bars" and those can regenerate) or whatever else they come up with. ;)

Oh, and I like what I hear about a "possible" Thief 4 too! :cool: I need more sneaking, stealing, blackjacking goodness with Garrett. :D

Psychopomp
3rd Dec 2008, 17:01
The T-Project had better damn well be that Titanic video game I've been craving for years, and it had better damn well be helmed by Clifford Blezinski.

Admit it, that would be AWESOME.