PDA

View Full Version : Underworld on iMac in bootcamp?

tip
23rd Nov 2008, 21:28
Hello. TR Legends runs perfectly (next gen) on my iMac in Bootcamp but I read that Underworld will not run. Is this true? I want to buy the game but I need to be sure it will run ok.
thx

Crofty Raider
25th Nov 2008, 06:27
TRU demo didn't work for me at all under bootcamp, on my iMac, sorry :(

I have one of the 3.0Ghz iMac's with an 8800GS in it, and it's a no-go :(

That's running Windows XP SP3 if that matters.

UMIST_For_Ever
25th Nov 2008, 13:24
That doesn't make sense - surely they cannot be forcing PC users to upgrade to Vista?

Jurjen
25th Nov 2008, 13:44
TRU works just fine on XP, and should work just fine with the 8800GS... Not sure why Crofy is having a problem...

What errors do you get?

Crofty Raider
25th Nov 2008, 23:32
With regards to the demo, it crashes immediately upon startup. I've posted the details in another thread already: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=82720

The summary is that it blows up right away without getting anywhere. Unfortunately I cannot test updating the video drivers, because the nvidia driver package doesn't seem to work on this machine. I've no idea if that is normal or not.

I was really surprised, to be honest, because Tomb Raider Legend plays perfectly under bootcamp, at high framerates, and supports NextGen mode which my prior system couldn't do.

Help is always appreciated :) I'm not buying the game, however, until something is fixed :(

Crofty Raider
26th Nov 2008, 04:42
Just a few more details on this sad state of affairs:

I tried using some tricks I found on the web to update my video drivers to the latest and greatest from nvidia. Those drivers *sort of* work (Please don't waste your time with them if you have an iMac with the 8800GS in it, as there are some obvious bugs) but having the updated drivers did nothing for helping the application start.

I also tried reverting the system XP SP2 (I had been using SP3). No help there either.

Oh well :(

benjsimpson
26th Nov 2008, 23:09
Hi Crofty...sorry to hear you are having issues

I just completed the game on my iMac running bootcamp and looked fantastic...ran sweet as, just the occaisional glitch like every other platform has.

I have one of the latest crop of iMacs with the RAM maxed out to 4 gig. I am not running Parallels if that makes any difference. I am on the latest version of Vista Home Basic, and it worked sweet as for me...demo worked fine too...looked beautiful

Crofty Raider
27th Nov 2008, 03:32
Well, that is encouraging to hear :)

Now I'm wondering what's different between my system and yours.

I have 3.0Ghz iMac, 4GB memory, Windows XP SP2/3 (tried both, didn't help) and the 24" model with the NVIDIA chipset. By chance is yours one of the 20" models with the ATI chip in it? People seem to be getting better mileage out of those machines.

In terms of setting up your bootcamp, anything special done? Are you running the stock drivers from apple, and if so, which ones? Mine were installed off the Leopard DVD that came with the iMac.

Any help is appreciated :)

Crofty Raider
28th Nov 2008, 22:22
Ok, Finally some Good News to report.

I did the painful thing of wiping my Windows XP Install and starting over from scratch. After the clean install, which did include having the windows installer reformat the paritition, I installed the bootcamp driver package that comes with Leopard (which is the 2.0 bootcamp package it turns out; or at least the package dated 2/08 on the DVD). After that was finished, I registered the system, installed the TRU demo and IT WORKS :) :) :)

So.... Something I had installed after that initial setup way back when had corrupted the system somehow. At least now I have a valid system restore point so if things go weird, I can revert back to this known-good-state.

I hope this helps somebody!

tip
29th Nov 2008, 18:47
That's good news. I have a 24" iMac with an Ati Radeon HD2600 videocard. 4GB of ram. You think this will work? Legend ran perfect

Does anyone have an iMac with a HD2600 videocard?

Crofty Raider
1st Dec 2008, 01:53
Try the demo and see. I have no idea what messed my system up, as I had installed bootcamp quite awhile ago. I will say that my system is as vanilla XP SP2 as possible - I've not let windows update do anything, nor have I let Apple's update do anything.

tip
2nd Dec 2008, 16:22
I did and it worked. I bought the game today and it also works. I'm in the 2nd level. Great game on big screen :nut:
its cool you can disable all the hints and the little red aiming circle
This is the best CD Raider so far... ! :D

EricC
5th Dec 2008, 15:58
I am trying to run Underworld on a MacPro 2.66 Ghz with 4 Gb RAM and it is running very slowly. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: This is via Bootcamp and Vista Home Premium. Does anyone have any tips?
Cheers
Eric

Leak
5th Dec 2008, 17:19
I am trying to run Underworld on a MacPro 2.66 Ghz with 4 Gb RAM and it is running very slowly. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: This is via Bootcamp and Vista Home Premium. Does anyone have any tips?
What's your graphics card?

np: Squarepusher - Fat Controller (Hard Normal Daddy)