PDA

View Full Version : Actual Prequel Aspects - Nowhere to be found...

AaronJ
23rd Nov 2008, 16:28
I'd like to talk about the complete absence of prequel elements in DX3. So far, the only thing pointing to DX3 even being in the same universe (which the art direction already is not) is the mech aug aspect.

Is this only because they haven't been releasing s#it all in terms of updates? Or because Deus Ex 3 will really be a standalone game?

People who say "If you want Deus Ex 1, go play Deus Ex 1" can leave now.

Yargo
23rd Nov 2008, 16:36
If you want Deus Ex 1 ...... oh sorry you said not to. :rasp:
I think that there is nothing to go by. The plot is going to be the main judge of whether its a prequel or not. And we no squat about the plot. So patience my friend. :D

jordan_a
23rd Nov 2008, 16:37
Art wise, I think they want to do their game. DX1 is pretty old and it's very difficult to connect two games so separated.

Story wise, it's probably too soon to know anything about it. They're either preparing to unveil elements in future trailers (for big conventions) or just want to keep that in the game.

I talked a good deal with the writer and she's so smart it was impossible to know anything about the story. :rolleyes:

But consider this. Knowing that the whole team has a great respect for DX1, that their game is indeed called Deus Ex and, finally, that is has been said that it will be a prequel: why worry?

Yargo
23rd Nov 2008, 17:09
^^^
just "worry" not "worrying" ;)

spm1138
23rd Nov 2008, 18:32
Dystopian future.

Conspiracies.

Cyberpunk.

Choices -> Consequences.

Customisable weapons.

Non-linear solutions to goals.

Well it sure smells like Deus Ex. :scratch:

gamer0004
23rd Nov 2008, 18:42
Dystopian future.

Conspiracies.

Cyberpunk.

Choices -> Consequences.

Customisable weapons.

Well, if you think cars and wine smell the same because they're both produced in Italy, you're right.

René
23rd Nov 2008, 20:26
Is this only because they haven't been releasing s#it all in terms of updates?

Bingo.

AaronJ
24th Nov 2008, 03:23
Bingo.

YOU PEOPLE ARE MORE TEASING THAN AN INSECURE CAMWHORE.

GOOD LORD.

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Romeo
24th Nov 2008, 04:32
Dystopian future.

Conspiracies.

Cyberpunk.

Choices -> Consequences.

Customisable weapons.

Essentially the core of what Deus Ex is about.

Well, if you think cars and wine smell the same because they're both produced in Italy, you're right.
That's quite possibly the stupidist thing I've heard all week.

GOOD LORD.

And that's quite possibly my favorite quote of the week. lol

Personally, I'm not concerned about the fact it looks a little more advanced, I'd prefer to see new things anyways. Besides, there could be logical reasons why certain areas look incredibly advanced, as they seem to be the property of hyper-powerful corperations.

DXeXodus
24th Nov 2008, 04:50
I think it is safe to assume that DX3 will make plenty references to DX1. Especially so towards the end of the game. I think once we know more about the plot, these references will become a lot clearer.

Jerion
24th Nov 2008, 05:13
We aren't gonna find these out until EM wants us to. If jordan couldn't pry any details out of the writer, no one can. :D

Bloodwolf806
24th Nov 2008, 05:44
I'm too lazy to look it up but somewhere on this forum Rene vaguely hinted that DX3 would tie somehow into DX1

imported_van_HellSing
24th Nov 2008, 05:49
Hmm, I don't remember René saying anything about that, but I do remember one of the articles (was it Edge?) saying how the multiple DX3 endings would all make sense in DX1.

Bloodwolf806
27th Nov 2008, 05:28
Hmm, I don't remember René saying anything about that, but I do remember one of the articles (was it Edge?) saying how the multiple DX3 endings would all make sense in DX1.

Someone asked if DX3 would forshadow IW at all, and Rene said that all ties that exist in DX3 would link with DX1 (I believe)

imported_van_HellSing
27th Nov 2008, 07:53
Ah, now I remember! :)

3nails4you
27th Nov 2008, 08:09
Considering we only know the names of 2 characters and we basically only have concept art to go by visually (some screenshots, but I mean come on), I think it is amazingly too early to tell. If they told us all about the story now, where would the surprise be? I can't imagine them not making plenty of tie-ins, but I'd rather be left out of the loop until I play the game.

i_is_a_moose
2nd Dec 2008, 19:00
I know the concept art doesn't look "prequel-ish" in Deus Ex terms, but DX1 took place in a very economically depressed future, considering we're looking twenty-something years before it, it does make sense that it could be pre-recession, thus explaining the contrast of DX1 Grittyness,and DX3 Shinyness. Though they both have a strong indutrial theme prevailing.

Just so long as EM doesn't go all George Lucas on us, and make the prequel-era somehow more technologically advanced than the original story; which seems unlikely.

Laokin
3rd Dec 2008, 01:30
I know the concept art doesn't look "prequel-ish" in Deus Ex terms, but DX1 took place in a very economically depressed future, considering we're looking twenty-something years before it, it does make sense that it could be pre-recession, thus explaining the contrast of DX1 Grittyness,and DX3 Shinyness. Though they both have a strong indutrial theme prevailing.

Just so long as EM doesn't go all George Lucas on us, and make the prequel-era somehow more technologically advanced than the original story; which seems unlikely.

This is a non issue. Mech augs can't be compared to nano augs in terms of which one is better technology. One is most certainly more complicated, which is why it came 20 years later, but it's also realistically weaker due to the fact that it has to be inconspicuous.

As for DX3 missing prequel elements.... that's almost unfair to even say at this point. You wouldn't know until you knew the story... and as seeing they haven't released ANYTHING about the story other than the introduction, there is no way to tell.

Also, I'd like to take the time to say, that before the grey death.... it had to not even look like DX 1. After all, that's the one concept that makes the aftermath so epic. It really changed the world, and as seeing that DX3 takes places prior to those events, it would be a rather big inconsistency to the storyline of DX.

In that aspect, it very much shows it's a prequel. Had it been as glum and wore out as DX 1, it would be a major contradiction to the events of DX1... thus, ruling out the potential of being "prequel" worthy.

Not to mention, the art hasn't changed SO much. While the wall textures and stuff might be different, the clothing style isn't too far off. Look at the doctor, his uniform is almost identical to the DX1 and DX2 uniforms. I have a sneaky suspicion that when you actually see the game... you will automatically know it's Deus Ex, and you will subconsciously know that it's preapocalypse.

gamer0004
4th Dec 2008, 16:01
This is a non issue. Mech augs can't be compared to nano augs in terms of which one is better technology. One is most certainly more complicated, which is why it came 20 years later, but it's also realistically weaker due to the fact that it has to be inconspicuous.

As for DX3 missing prequel elements.... that's almost unfair to even say at this point. You wouldn't know until you knew the story... and as seeing they haven't released ANYTHING about the story other than the introduction, there is no way to tell.

Also, I'd like to take the time to say, that before the grey death.... it had to not even look like DX 1. After all, that's the one concept that makes the aftermath so epic. It really changed the world, and as seeing that DX3 takes places prior to those events, it would be a rather big inconsistency to the storyline of DX.

In that aspect, it very much shows it's a prequel. Had it been as glum and wore out as DX 1, it would be a major contradiction to the events of DX1... thus, ruling out the potential of being "prequel" worthy.

Not to mention, the art hasn't changed SO much. While the wall textures and stuff might be different, the clothing style isn't too far off. Look at the doctor, his uniform is almost identical to the DX1 and DX2 uniforms. I have a sneaky suspicion that when you actually see the game... you will automatically know it's Deus Ex, and you will subconsciously know that it's preapocalypse.

Saying we don't know anything about the storyline so we don't know how much DX3 will be missing prequel elements is like saying (before I continue, there is going to be a hobbit-based movie, which will be a prequel to LotR):
"Well, yes, the hobbit movie somehow features laser guns, light sabres and jedi, but hey, we don't know anything about the exact storyline yet so you can't say it will be missing prequel elements".

About the very often used but unfortunatly incorrect argument that because of the grey death the world would've changed suddenly: the opposite is true. If a world indeed would be in such financial and humane problems, then there wouldn't be much money to actually change much about the environment. So all the buildings from 2027 would still be there because it's much cheaper than destroying them all and replacing them with other ones.

spm1138
4th Dec 2008, 16:25
Saying we don't know anything about the storyline so we don't know how much DX3 will be missing prequel elements is like saying (before I continue, there is going to be a hobbit-based movie, which will be a prequel to LotR):
"Well, yes, the hobbit movie somehow features laser guns, light sabres and jedi, but hey, we don't know anything about the exact storyline yet so you can't say it will be missing prequel elements".

Spergin :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Dec 2008, 16:50

GOOD LORD.

Haha! Teasing is a good thing. :D

gamer0004
4th Dec 2008, 17:04
Spergin :cool:

As long as people say things like that I'll have to repeat myself...

GmanPro
4th Dec 2008, 18:44
So all the buildings from 2027 would still be there because it's much cheaper than destroying them all and replacing them with other ones.

Ok sure, but in DX1, JC never went to Shanghai or Montreal. So those futuristic buildings were in fact still there in DX1 time line, we just never saw them. We saw the skyline of New York from Liberty Island, but that view isn't very good. There could well have been futuristic buildings there that we couldn't see. Also, most of the game was spent at the street level of old sections of cities. So those areas would still look old. No one ever said that every building in the world would have to be rebuilt or renovated to look futuristic.

spm1138
4th Dec 2008, 18:48
Ok sure, but in DX1, JC never went to Shanghai or Montreal. So those futuristic buildings were in fact still there in DX1 time line, we just never saw them. We saw the skyline of New York from Liberty Island, but that view isn't very good. There could well have been futuristic buildings there that we couldn't see. Also, most of the game was spent at the street level of old sections of cities. So those areas would still look old. No one ever said that every building in the world would have to be rebuilt or renovated to look futuristic.

NO.

DX3 MUST BE EXACTLY THE SAME AS DX1 IN EVERY RESPECT. EXACTLY. OR EVERYTHING IS RUINED.

GmanPro
4th Dec 2008, 18:51
^^

:lol: That's what some people seem to think.

Yargo
4th Dec 2008, 19:45

Thats why there should be a developed Africa level! That beats the rebuilding of Shang Hai. :D

AaronJ
4th Dec 2008, 23:10
Thats why there should be a developed Africa level! That beats the rebuilding of Shang Hai. :D

FarCry 2 fans can polish my 27 foot schlong.

Yargo
5th Dec 2008, 00:14
FarCry 2 fans can polish my 27 foot schlong.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think you misunderstood me. I care nothing of farcry2. I have yet to even play the game. I think Africa would be a good new slate for a city environment. Maybe a solar powered city. That would kick a$$!

jordan_a
5th Dec 2008, 00:23
Far Cry 2 is the Oblivion of the fps genre in term of map size... except that it's pretty bad.

No story, generic, pointless, stupid AI, repetitive, slow, ennemis pop up. ;)

AaronJ
5th Dec 2008, 03:31
stupid AI

Crytek and their AI add a comedy to their games that has yet to be rivaled anywhere.

:lol: :lol: :lol: This (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkCWQcZYKo) video comes to mind.

GmanPro
5th Dec 2008, 05:21
Oh lol. :lol: