PDA

View Full Version : What ESRB rating do you want this game to get?

JJBro1
23rd Nov 2008, 07:50
I hope it's rated M so there is no limit to just how hardcore batman can get. IMO this shouldn't be a batman game for the kids, this should be a game aimed at the Batman core that were reading the comics, and those are alot more gruesome than anything that has been seen in mass media.

chip5541
23rd Nov 2008, 08:02
My bet would be teen. M rated would be cool, and seeing those pictures, it does show a very dark version so who knows.

You know though I did see on one rating a listing of smoking in the game so heck, i suppose it could go M.... or maybe even AO :scratch:

Finland-Man
23rd Nov 2008, 08:57
It'll probably be teen. Much will probably be implied, but nothing will probably be shown. That would actually be great, if you ask me. Showing gore and nudity don't make the game any better, but implying it would be excellent.

PS: Sorry, if I spelled "don't" wrong. I wasn't sure, if it was "don't" or "doesn't".

swan15
23rd Nov 2008, 09:21
I dont know if any of you's played bioshock, but i want the violence, and swearing etc to be similar to bioshock. When you hit someone, blood will come out, and stain the ground, walls etc, but that's the limit! Joker's henchmen swear etc. I want it aimed for a more mature audience.

In Australia im hoping for a MA15+, which is the highest for Australia.

Vigilance
23rd Nov 2008, 09:44
M. Why? Rent Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe. That's why.

The_Hylden
23rd Nov 2008, 12:30
Finland-Man:

Showing gore and nudity don't make the game any better, but implying it would be excellent.

PS: Sorry, if I spelled "don't" wrong. I wasn't sure, if it was "don't" or "doesn't".

It is "doesn't" in this case. There's nothing wrong with your spelling. However, grammatically, it is doesn't, not don't. "Does not" fits what you are saying, not "do not." Just think of what the contraction of words are in plural form and it should help. Well, anyway, just being of help here. I'm not trying to lecture you, or anything:p

And an "M" rating is looking highly likely with the blood on the walls, staining the chairs, etc, and the dark theme in general. However, I am definitely sure that this will not stretch to swearing. If DC wasn't crazy enough to alienate their audience with dropping F-bombs in The Dark Knight, they aren't going to with this either. Even in the latest Joker graphic novel, which is said to be very mature in nature, the "cussing" that is suggested is written with @#$%, etc. signs. I believe, anyway.

I am fine without blood, or with it. I do think the grittiness of this game, as it's already been presented, will mean that there will be blood and therefore a reason to rate it M for mature.

Matter of fact, I see constantly that every form of media is really pushing the boundaries of things like it's nothing anymore, so I don't doubt for a moment that this will be mature in nature and no-one in DC is batting an eyelid over it.

bobo
23rd Nov 2008, 22:19
In the new game the rating on the game depends on which batman the are aiming at. In my opinion the game will be rated in the middle of T and M. Like I said it depends on which batman they plan to be portraying. In the first Batman comics he is more of a detective good guy and not really dark at all. However as time goes on he becomes much darker like in Batman Legends of the Dark Knight comics or the Batman hush series. I think this is who they will be trying to portray and i am not really sure if it will be T or M. A T game would probably be more likely but an M game would be great to push the limits and really show to people not familiar with Batman the darkness of himself and Arkham Asylum

Joesph Kerr
24th Nov 2008, 04:39
I'm more then willing to say this game will probably be rated Teen. I can't see Warner Bros. letting an M Rated Batman game slide. Afterall they didn't allow excessive blood and fatatlies for heroes in Mortal Kombat V.S DC Universe. ****

swan15
24th Nov 2008, 05:49
I'm more then willing to say this game will probably be rated Teen. I can't see Warner Bros. letting an M Rated Batman game slide. Afterall they didn't allow excessive blood and fatatlies for heroes in Mortal Kombat V.S DC Universe. ****

Warner Bros produced the Condemned series, and i think dat's more then an M:scratch: :o

But then again, i'll be happy if they have at least some bruises and scratches on the guy you beat up in it

OSM1017
24th Nov 2008, 13:54
Teen would be fine. I don't think Warner Bros would really feel comfortable with one of it's flagship icons being involved in a mature audience targeted game. Batman is dark and gritty, but it shouldn't be too dark to the point of Tim Burton gone off the deep end or Batman killing people. That's one thing I hope not to see in this game, Batman does not kill. ****

Billyman
24th Nov 2008, 16:02
It looks like a good and scary game. I don't care about the rating.

JJBro1
24th Nov 2008, 19:12
Teen would be fine. I don't think Warner Bros would really feel comfortable with one of it's flagship icons being involved in a mature audience targeted game. Batman is dark and gritty, but it shouldn't be too dark to the point of Tim Burton gone off the deep end or Batman killing people. That's one thing I hope not to see in this game, Batman does not kill. ****he doesn't have to kill, but there could be blood when he hits someone or when he gets hit, maybe he could be killed. And maybe we could see inmates killing each other or the joker killing someone.

Vigilance
25th Nov 2008, 01:46
I'll put it bluntly, if there's a game about Batman and it takes place in ARKHAM ASYLUM and it's rated Teen, the game has been done horribly wrong. If you want a teen rated Batman game, make it about that godawful Adam West show, not the real Batman, and have it take place in an amusement park, not one of the darkest, most secretive and twisted place in the Batman universe. If it's rated T I simply won't get it. Not because blood and gore are necessary for a game to be enjoyable, as most people who are afraid of it tend to mock. It's simply because the atmosphere of some games is completely broken by a Teen rating. This game is one of those.

batman93oo
25th Nov 2008, 03:55
Teen DC does not allow m rated games with there characters look at MK vs DC

The_Hylden
25th Nov 2008, 04:11
Um, Mortal Kombat VS. DC IS an M for mature game. Just because the heroes do not perform fatalities, they are in a game with blood and gore and the MK fighters do perform fatalities. Shows me that DC is very, very willing to put their heroes into M for mature settings. Again, as someone else stated, Batman isn't going to kill anyone. That doesn't mean the setting and the villains aren't going to be very mature, nor the choices that Batman must make not potentially cross the line for what would be considered teen-appropriate.

Actually, JJBro1 said it:

he doesn't have to kill, but there could be blood when he hits someone or when he gets hit, maybe he could be killed. And maybe we could see inmates killing each other or the joker killing someone.

Exactly.

I will restate what I already have: with the shots already posted, showing blood stains on floors, on walls, and on those torturous-looking stretchers, not to mention the thuggish brutal grittiness of those thugs shown, the game is being presented to us as a mature-themed game.

Also, this is being presented as a Batman stand-alone graphic novel brought to life. Graphic novels have far more leeway in presenting harder-edged versions of the characters.

Vigilance
25th Nov 2008, 04:14
Actually, MK vs DC is rated teen. At least, in America it is. I hear it's uncensored in Europe. Not sure why.

The_Hylden
25th Nov 2008, 04:40
You know, you're right. I thought to myself, "Really??" I mean, all of that blood spouting out of someone with each punch and everything, and it's T for teen? But, you're right. Well, *shrugs* guess the ESRB's rating system has become completely lax, or it simply doesn't mean much anymore. Either way, looks like it doesn't matter what the rating is, as long as the story remains as dark as it deserves. lol, that's amazing, though.

Another thought is someone in the DC department is reeeaal friendly with the ESRB people...:p

Vigilance
25th Nov 2008, 05:05
Punching someone and having a little spurt of blood doesn't make a game rated M. There's quite a bit more to it than that. Let's just say if this game is done the way it's supposed to be, it WON'T be rated T. One can easily come to the conclusion, then, that if the game is rated T, it won't be done the way it's supposed to be.

Have you seen the fatalities of MK vs DC? Definitely T rated.

JJBro1
25th Nov 2008, 06:31
Actually, MK vs DC is rated teen. At least, in America it is. I hear it's uncensored in Europe. Not sure why.Actually from what i've heard the only thing that is uncensored in the European version is Joker's fatality.

swan15
25th Nov 2008, 11:10
a bit off topic but does the joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum does he have scars like heath ledgers Joker (i no its not based on the movie) or does he only have smeared paint over his lips?:scratch:

Ruby Pyralis
25th Nov 2008, 17:09
a bit off topic but does the joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum does he have scars like heath ledgers Joker (i no its not based on the movie) or does he only have smeared paint over his lips?:scratch:

Looks like extended makeup to me, I don't see any scar textures in the screenshots. And while we're off topic anyway, does anyone else get Silence of the Lambs vibes from this? (http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/rubypyralis/9.jpg)

swan15
25th Nov 2008, 22:24
Looks like extended makeup to me, I don't see any scar textures in the screenshots. And while we're off topic anyway, does anyone else get Silence of the Lambs vibes from this? (http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp338/rubypyralis/9.jpg)

Thanx 4 da answer, i saw it and i understand what you mean, it looks like they incorporated the idea from Hannibal but then again doesn't every asylum come equipped with one?, im not surprised, the joker is always trying to get under batman's skin, just like Lector with Clarice.

zahzam!!
26th Nov 2008, 18:52
what if the game had a bourn conspiracy fighting style,(no real punches just grapples) and little darker imviorment. and to hurt your enemy you had to make him sumit with your takedown or grapple you also have to hit a button just before the finisher and he will add a little more strenght to finish with and little quote like good night or see ya! (wouldn't it be cool if it was just exactly like the suffering)

Terrible.G
26th Nov 2008, 19:06
Let's have this one be rated M. We've already had the T rated games. But this IP looks to me to be aimed at a more adult audience. Just one look at the latest environment trailer and it's a dark and scary place. I say let the blood flow. Let Joker do his thing.

BatFan
27th Nov 2008, 23:13
M, hands down. Look up KFM on youtube, which is Batman's fighting method for TDK, which correctly fits Batman's style. goes to nearly any length to do what he does, but without killing his targets. Bone-breaking, and cutting up with a batarang should be bloody,cracking, and M-rated. We have T rated games, give us an M.

Singstar90210
30th Nov 2008, 00:32
Something tells me this title's going to be T. But this game does look darker, so M would be more appropriate for the storyline (and I may have to until August to get it if it's released in the first or second quarter of '09).

If some realism were placed in it, like bruises and other kinds of things, that would really fit the Batman theme well. After all, the animated series [Note: early 1990s version, not the 2004 version] and the comics maintained some of that and they were both giving a pretty safe yet reasonable approach to the dark undertones in Batman's story. :)

ICK14
30th Nov 2008, 08:00
I think it would be sweet to see this get an M. Anybody read The Long Halloween, or any Batman comic for that matter? It gets so bloody and gruesome. So if the violence in this game parallels the comics, then I would be really satisfied! M ALL THE WAY!

Moviefone
30th Nov 2008, 08:59
I'd be very surprised if this game was given an M rating.(albeit pleased)The developers aren't likely to miss a chance at marketing this game to kids, despite the more mature theme. An M rating would hinder sales and unfortunatly that's what the developers are thinking about. If this is the case it's not the end of the world. The Dark Knight has become this end all be all standard for Batman. And while it was darker, more violent, even graphic at times, it was rated PG-13. I believe Batman: Arkham Asylum will follow suit. Personally I don't fear a Teen rating, from the screenshots released and the teaser footage, this is already a win for me.

LikaLaruku
2nd Dec 2008, 13:14
After all the *****ing about lame fatalities in Mk vs DC & the fact that most Batman fans are adults, I say go for broke with M.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** lol.

JJBro1
2nd Dec 2008, 22:16
I'd be very surprised if this game was given an M rating.(albeit pleased)The developers aren't likely to miss a chance at marketing this game to kids, despite the more mature theme. An M rating would hinder sales and unfortunatly that's what the developers are thinking about. If this is the case it's not the end of the world. The Dark Knight has become this end all be all standard for Batman. And while it was darker, more violent, even graphic at times, it was rated PG-13. I believe Batman: Arkham Asylum will follow suit. Personally I don't fear a Teen rating, from the screenshots released and the teaser footage, this is already a win for me.how can you say that M ratings hinder sales? Look at titles like halo, gta, call of duty, those games all went through the roof and they were all rated M.

Vigilance
4th Dec 2008, 03:31
It's not all about gore. A game can be mature without being gory. Not only that, but if we're talking about a T game to save sales... well, just think about what that means. A game targeted towards children means that the claims of many areas of the game requiring wit and intelligence... they're going to be incredibly disappointing. How much can you really expect in the way of clever gameplay situations that require some critcial thinking if the game's target audience is 13?

That's not to say the whole atmosphere argument is wrong. There SHOULD be far darker, more mature themes, and gruesome situations and the like; this post is directed strictly at the people who think gore doesn't make a game, because there's more than gore at stake when the target audience is a very young one.

Stealthguy1986
4th Dec 2008, 04:04
On a personal note , the kind of realism(like gore, dark environment etc) we are expecting from this game and inorder to keep up to our demands , I think that this game should get a M+ rating. But then again considering from a Business aspect, making the game suitable for the 13 yr olds(for eg) also can be beneficial to the sales. I am fine with this as long as the gameplay is good and challenging.

JJBro1
5th Dec 2008, 01:01
On a personal note , the kind of realism(like gore, dark environment etc) we are expecting from this game and inorder to keep up to our demands , I think that this game should get a M+ rating. But then again considering from a Business aspect, making the game suitable for the 13 yr olds(for eg) also can be beneficial to the sales. I am fine with this as long as the gameplay is good and challenging.
I highly doubt the 13yr olds are going to be the ones picking this game up. The ones picking this up will be the ones geeking out over screenshots, trailers, and discussing in forums, and I highly doubt any of those 13 year olds are doing all of that. The majority of them only know batman because of tv shows and from all the movie buzz.

Hitman
8th Dec 2008, 01:18
I want it to be rated M for Mature.

JJBro1
8th Dec 2008, 04:06
As much as I would like it to be M, the game will be rated T.

One of the guys confirmed it when I was focus testing it.
wait your testing the game? Can you talk about it? And did the guy say anything as to why it's rated T?

Zydeco
8th Dec 2008, 23:11
In the first Batman comics he is more of a detective good guy and not really dark at all. However as time goes on he becomes much darker like in Batman Legends of the Dark Knight comics or the Batman hush series.

Actually during his initial creation in the late 30s and early 40s Batman was a brutal pulp vigilante that had no qualms with killing criminals or even using guns on them. It wasn’t until after World War Two and the public backlash against comics from ‘Seduction of the Innocent’ that Batman became the kid friendly icon who Adam West portrayed in the 60s and the reason behind the creation of Robin, even though the latter ignited the rumored subtext of homosexuality that the book accused the character of and has haunted batman to this day. But as the Silver Age spurred on into the 70s and 80s with events like Crisis of Infinite Earths and especially Frank Miller’s Dark Knight, Bruce became world weary from the extent of his “War” against crime and degenerated back into his questionably sane vigilante roots while still holding on to the key parts his ethos grew into over the years. No longer just feeling guilty over the death of his parents but of the mistakes he’s made, like the escalating number of people Joker’s killed or Jason Todd but this paragraph is getting big enough as it is.

Feel free to skim over this wall of text or read it in the most nasally voice you can think of.

This concludes our segment of Comic Book Nerd Corrections. We now turn this topic to slavering over the possibility of a gritty Batman in Butcher’s Bay.

SpadeHand
8th Dec 2008, 23:53
I'd say around the limits of T. Which is basically what the Dark Knight was at PG-13, and God knows that's not a movie for kids.

TH3 WR417H
9th Dec 2008, 07:24
I hope it gets a MA 15+ because thats the highest we get on games here in Australia, at least that way I will know I wont be playing a kids game. Kids got LEGO BATMAN, now let us have MOVIE BATMAN.

Scratimus
9th Dec 2008, 12:13
M for mature MuthaF***KER!

Vigilance
9th Dec 2008, 17:14
I'd say around the limits of T. Which is basically what the Dark Knight was at PG-13, and God knows that's not a movie for kids.

It seems I've come across ANOTHER thread in which I need to remind everyone that ESRB ratings are much different than movie ratings. Read my latest post in the concerns thread if you want to know why because I don't feel like explaining it again. Basically, though, The Dark Knight's story would never pass a T rating in a video game. The ratings for movies and the ratings for videogames are done by entirely separate groups with entirely separate agendas and entirely separate things to take into consideration.

If this game manages a T rating, I will definitely rent it before buying it, and I won't be surprised if it stays as a rental. I just can't imagine a game taking place in Arkham Asylum (ffs) being done properly and still managing a T rating. Arkham Asylum is the darkest, most violent and twisted and "mature" location in the Batman universe. To make anything T rated about it is stupid.

What's next, a T rated game about the holocaust? Please.

wutspoppin
11th Dec 2008, 10:11
i hope it gets M raitin just 4 the sake for the villains, thier aint nuttin nice about ther personalitys, plus batman is more of darker hero so he wouldnt just cuff em and let it be. Batman shouldn't be able 2 kill but should come ova as if hes goin all out like braking legs or arms so the enemy cant move or hang em upside down as a warning for others that r huntin u!!! Hope thers gona be sumthing like in the punisher (ps2) game, where u can use ur suroundings 2 nutrulise ur enemies! dont get me wrong if its t raitin still gonna b fine, but i really dont want dis 2b a 12+ like the spidys game cause makin a game 4 everyages aint gonna work 4 the mature gamers!!!

Raziel'sRevenge
11th Dec 2008, 20:02
I feel it must be a "M", however I hope they don't just fill it full of pointless violence and bloodshed. That's not to say I hope that they censor that out of it, I just don't want them trying to get fans with "shock value". And this is coming from the guy who's favorite game series are Legacy of Kain and Silent Hill lol

vicsage
12th Dec 2008, 19:20
It seems I've come across ANOTHER thread in which I need to remind everyone that ESRB ratings are much different than movie ratings. Read my latest post in the concerns thread if you want to know why because I don't feel like explaining it again. Basically, though, The Dark Knight's story would never pass a T rating in a video game. The ratings for movies and the ratings for videogames are done by entirely separate groups with entirely separate agendas and entirely separate things to take into consideration.

If this game manages a T rating, I will definitely rent it before buying it, and I won't be surprised if it stays as a rental. I just can't imagine a game taking place in Arkham Asylum (ffs) being done properly and still managing a T rating. Arkham Asylum is the darkest, most violent and twisted and "mature" location in the Batman universe. To make anything T rated about it is stupid.

What's next, a T rated game about the holocaust? Please.

A very good point...

If it does get an M-rating, then it'll be because there's a lot of blood and gore. Batman wouldn't kill his enemies but perhaps he'd come across someone who was heavily tortured and their limbs are missing or some such situation. All in all, the blood and gore would be because of the villains he fights that inflict major violence.

Arkham Asylum is indeed an environment where a T-rating seems a bit out of place. Let's hope that it does get an M-rating that isn't over-the-top.

RabidEasterBunny
12th Dec 2008, 21:39
I wish they'djust make a game, and THEN rate it instead of shooting for a rating. But it's going to be T, Game Informer said Edios and Rocksteady were shooting for a T rating.
However, it'll be a very, very brutal T game, by the looks of it.:thumb:

deadneardying
14th Dec 2008, 17:09
Yeah, M would be best. Considering that both Batman AND his villains are bat**** crazy. And it would give it the full effect. :)

Shadowstorm
17th Dec 2008, 21:00
Without hesitation or scalph scratching, M.
LOok at all that blood and filth. and that sick feeling of the asylum.
I LIKE THAT.
I WANT IT LIKE THAT.
So, tis gotta be M.

Necros
24th Dec 2008, 12:58
I'm hoping for an M too but my guess is that it will probably just be teen... :(

Wigglez
25th Dec 2008, 18:15
This movie might get a T basicly because the developers wil want it to get more than just adults to buy the game. So far, the game might that T. But it's also coming from the comic atmosphere so it also might get the M. Because we all know how the comics can get. Personally, I think the game should get a M because the game looks crazy enough so far. Let's just see how this game turns out.

Wigglez
26th Dec 2008, 18:44
OMG!! Did I say movie? I need to lay off of the cafine.

Nagisawa Rei
27th Dec 2008, 03:57
Teen would be fine. I don't think Warner Bros would really feel comfortable with one of it's flagship icons being involved in a mature audience targeted game. Batman is dark and gritty, but it shouldn't be too dark to the point of Tim Burton gone off the deep end or Batman killing people. That's one thing I hope not to see in this game, Batman does not kill. ****

Incorrect. Batman DID kill, way back when in the 1939 to 45. It was only because the Comic Code Authority (May they rot in *Beep*) decided that violence was BAAAAAD for little kid's minds (have they taken a look OUTSIDE? The little rugrats don't need T.V/Games/Literature to be screwed up, they're parents are doing a good job of that on their own), but before then, Batman DID kill, but ONLY WHEN HE FELT THE NEED TO.

Did you also know that the Joker was supposed to die after his second appearance?

Oh, and I am also hoping for a ESRB rating of M for this game. Just for the violence the Bat has to lay down onto the baddies. Maybe he doesn't need to kill in here, but at least he should be BRUTAL. There's a reason he's feared, and it's not just because of the funky costume.

ANDROID PUNKY
27th Dec 2008, 12:02
Let's have this one be rated M. We've already had the T rated games. But this IP looks to me to be aimed at a more adult audience. Just one look at the latest environment trailer and it's a dark and scary place. I say let the blood flow. Let Joker do his thing.

I live in England so the ratings are done differently :mad2:
But my guess is it will be a 15 + or 16+
the chances of a batman game getting M rating or 18+ seems slim i admit the screens look bloody but look at cod 5 that had a fare amount of gore and was given a 15+ so it's really up to chance.

CodeBlack
27th Dec 2008, 17:32
I wouldn't mind an M Rating, since the Batman comics cross over to that area often, especially when Arkham Asylum is involved (if this game has bits from the Arkham Asylum Graphic Novel, it'd be amazingly deep, but would probably clinch an M rating). I'm thinking it might be a T rating though; ratings aren't really supposed to be as rigid as we think (with a few exceptions, see below).

I don't know what to say about MK vs DC, since nobody really still knows who was behind the T Rating, just that someone wanted it and the ESRB went nuts with restrictions after they got it. You can have a very graphic game on a T Rating, so I think the ESRB censors went a bit overboard with ways to make MK keep the rating.

Incorrect. Batman DID kill, way back when in the 1939 to 45. It was only because the Comic Code Authority (May they rot in *Beep*) decided that violence was BAAAAAD for little kid's minds (have they taken a look OUTSIDE? The little rugrats don't need T.V/Games/Literature to be screwed up, they're parents are doing a good job of that on their own), but before then, Batman DID kill, but ONLY WHEN HE FELT THE NEED TO.

Batman stopped killing way before the comics code. He had stopped killing by the time the Joker showed up (1940, I believe) . This is a common misconception, he actually only killed for a few comics before they refined the character.

CodeBlack
27th Dec 2008, 17:33
Accidental multipost

Nagisawa Rei
27th Dec 2008, 20:49
Batman stopped killing way before the comics code. He had stopped killing by the time the Joker showed up (1940, I believe) . This is a common misconception, he actually only killed for a few comics before they refined the character.

Actually, no, not quite. Both Superman and Batman continued to kill during the 40s because of the whole World War II thing going on at the time. NAzi Germany was seen as rather inhuman, and thus truly 'evil'. Now admittedly, in the case of the Bat, they DID lower his body count significantly, but he stil picked up a gun from time to time to kill bad guys like Nazis, but it was rare. It was only when the Comic Code was fully enforced did they make him stop.

Personally, and unrelated to the game, I hated the comic code era, because it destroyed a lot of the 'credibility' of the universe behind him, but what do I know?

CodeBlack
28th Dec 2008, 01:26
Actually, no, not quite. Both Superman and Batman continued to kill during the 40s because of the whole World War II thing going on at the time. NAzi Germany was seen as rather inhuman, and thus truly 'evil'. Now admittedly, in the case of the Bat, they DID lower his body count significantly, but he stil picked up a gun from time to time to kill bad guys like Nazis, but it was rare. It was only when the Comic Code was fully enforced did they make him stop.

Personally, and unrelated to the game, I hated the comic code era, because it destroyed a lot of the 'credibility' of the universe behind him, but what do I know?

Well... there was a ideological difference between wartime and peacetime, and in between the earliest few comics and wartime, even for a few years, Batman didn't kill, at least in the earnest of his prototypical character.

I'm with you on the comics code era. It just got more and more ridiculous over time, and you still find people associating comics with that, even though it hasn't been that way in decades.

The Lilac Pilgrim
1st Jan 2009, 04:57
I honestly couldn't care less what rating it gets. As long as there's blood when someone lands a blow I'm happy.

Before that, perhaps, but he doesn't NOW, which is what was said.

Did you also know that the Joker was supposed to die after his second appearance?
Yes.

Oh, and I am also hoping for a ESRB rating of M for this game. Just for the violence the Bat has to lay down onto the baddies. Maybe he doesn't need to kill in here, but at least he should be BRUTAL. There's a reason he's feared, and it's not just because of the funky costume.

Personally I'm not scared of a man dressed like a bat... But I agree that he should be intimidating.

The_Hylden
15th Jan 2009, 06:09
This is to add fuel to the fire that a licensed game from DC of Batman could very well have a mature rating in this climate of gaming with the expectations by the company that it will still sell to the main stream:

Have a gander at what their doing with the X-Men Origins: Wolverine game!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/943/943962p1.html

Wolvie gets torn apart by bullets down to his adamantium skeleton, guts and flesh hanging out, torn away; he slices his foes into bloody chunks, decapitates... Now, they could have gone the safe route and not included this realistic (or over-the-top) violence and gore, but they are. It's certainly far bloodier than anything we'll see int he movie. Batman doesn't even have to have any of this, but thematically and story-wise, what happens in the Asylum could very well get this game into the M range. Marvel's not going the safe route here, so there's no assurance DC will tone anything down either. They probably are noticing each others' games in development, after all.

We shall see. If it's a T rating, the story certainly still can be dark, or true enough, that it will astound and be real. I am not saying, as I think I made the point before, that the rating has any real impact (especially the very loose standards of ratings these days, pointed out also) on if the game will be great, or not. I'm adding this point to the mix, though, because after seeing this preview by IGN of Wolverine's new vaunt into the gaming world, which WILL be a licensed movie game (and Batman's will not), I can't see any reason why a so-called "dumbing down" of the game to teens is necessary here.

Bottom line: it's possible that we will get a dark, M-rated game. Just as likely as not (if not more so).

I will add also that the Wolverine game just made my list of must-have games for 09 as well as Arkham;)

shadowmatt18
15th Jan 2009, 22:05
we're going to get a teen rating because it's a superhero game but i would like it to be M because if you think about batmans world, it's very distubing in the comics and media. All of the *gruesome* moments are show off camera or comic strip. Were not gonna get an M rating, even though some of us want it and the atmosphere (like bioshock) demands it.

The_Hylden
15th Jan 2009, 22:51
...My point was that Wolverine is a Superhero and is being even based off a PG-13 movie, yet it is pretty certain his game adaptation is getting an M rating. It's brutal, bloody, and violent to the max.

So, it's definitely possible for Batman to get the same.