PDA

View Full Version : Idea for Nosgoth In General- Level Up System, Loadouts

SlayerWaspKC
25th Jan 2014, 21:54
I noticed the level up system, and how it is setup and I would agree it is pretty good. However, as a frequent free to play gamer I found myself wanting a type of reward of some sorts. So an idea came to mind based on most games, and from some of the really impressive Free to Play games. What if you used the level system and made achievements attached to it? Like for every level you would get a free achievement that allowed you to gain say 1-200 gold or some extra perks. Branching off from this idea, you could add thousands of achievements for different rewards with different tiers. For instance, Achievement: Kill 20 Enemies Using Sentinel, Reward: 120g 400xp. It would really encourage players to really get into the game, and spend more time unlocking and achieving as much as possible. A good way to put in this system would to really focus on Steam interactions, making steam achievements, adding trading card (which would also be a good reward for achievements), steam items, etc etc. It would really increased morale in the community, because every player wants to spend their time for a goal in the game. Also, branching off of this idea is the loadout system. I like it and I would def keep it, but maybe branch off the idea of leveling up and maybe make it where you unlock perks, abilities, armor, etc etc every 5-10 levels or so. You could also make those unlocks part of achievement awards. As I said before, it would really make the players want to come back more and more.

DeIYIon
25th Jan 2014, 22:08
The problem with this set up is it makes the playing field unbalanced if you go to far with it. If you are to have a successful PvP game (Take DOTA for example) There needs to be a level playing so that the outcome of the battle is won my players skill rather than how long they have spent unlocking all the best perks/equipment. A set up that rewards players too much the more they play the game does not give an even match up. Whilst it is satisfying to be rewarded as you progress I think the rewards (if any) should be aesthetic only.

As far as unlocking perks and items goes I think the gold system in place at the moment is sufficient as a reward for playing.

SlayerWaspKC
25th Jan 2014, 22:31
I was going to state, but I was short on time to fully go in-depth with the idea, that they should specifically do it to the point where the achievements require skill in-order to unlock for instance, a starter achievement could be to successfully grab 30 human soldiers while in flight with the Sentinel. Or the fact they could make the achievements every x amount of levels for example, once you reach level 10 you unlock a new set of say 5 achievements with limited rewards. Or there is always a weekly set of achievements you could do. Or instead of gold it could be stat upgrades like health, armor, attack damage, speed, etc.

DeIYIon
25th Jan 2014, 22:42
That's the problem though. Most achievements don't require skill to get them. It just requires you to play long enough and you eventually get them. Grabbing 30 victims as a sentinel for example. That will happen in spite of itself so long as you play as a sentinel. Then giving players passive bonuses to attack/defence stats for this sort of thing makes the game unbalanced.
The point I was trying to make was that the developers have to strike a balance between the races and maintain it. Giving players rewards that make them more powerful for getting achievements makes the game extremely difficult or even impossible to balance.

SilverLeo
25th Jan 2014, 22:49
I agree with you for the most part, DeIYIon. However, I do think there needs to be some sort of reward for gaining levels, even if it is only aesthetic. This does bring up a good point in terms of matchmaking though. Are the developers going to implement a tiered matching system when the game releases (similar to LoL, where there is only a small level variance between players)? This would balance out the game in terms of perks, abilities, and such.

IKathaarI
3rd Feb 2014, 02:42
The problem with this set up is it makes the playing field unbalanced if you go to far with it. If you are to have a successful PvP game (Take DOTA for example) There needs to be a level playing so that the outcome of the battle is won my players skill rather than how long they have spent unlocking all the best perks/equipment. A set up that rewards players too much the more they play the game does not give an even match up. Whilst it is satisfying to be rewarded as you progress I think the rewards (if any) should be aesthetic only.

As far as unlocking perks and items goes I think the gold system in place at the moment is sufficient as a reward for playing.

I agree with you here. Let's take Call of Duty for example (bear with me...) For the most part, the guns you start with are as potent and effective as the guns you unlock later on as you level up. Obviously, there are some unbalanced exceptions to this rule but that's tied to the game itself and doesn't necessarily have to happen in Nosgoth.

If we were to add unlocks via levels, they would have to be less about upgrading and more about diversity. EVERYTHING would have to be a tradeoff to maintain balance. So someone with 400 hours under their belt wouldn't necessarily have any CORE advantage over a new player due to unlocks, but they would have access to more diverse changes in their loadouts (sacrificing defence for speed, for example.) so they can play the way they feel is most potent.

Violet-n-red
3rd Feb 2014, 10:55
the only reward I need is a pretty outro sequence/screen after winning/playing a match.
i liked Quake 3 style, when you were getting a set awards for special actions. not REwards, just Awards, like, useless but pretty medals. for say, 5 melee kill with humans in a single match, let your teammate heal on a human downed by you and so on...
also, it was so satisfying to hear these "excellent/gauntlet/impressive/frags" but if there will be an announcer voice it would be better to add this kind of announcement at the end of the game - when watching the score screen. maybe.. also, these medals should definitely be recorded in player's profile.