PDA

View Full Version : Sound Problems on PS3

Felis Catus
22nd Nov 2008, 15:10
Hi,

I've got the PS3-Version of the game yesterday. My problem is I can't get the sound to work. I'm using a digital optical cable plugged into my PCs sound system, and I have sound within the XMB (as well as other games, BluRays and DVDs), but as soon as I start Underworld, there is no sound.

As a work-around I'm now using the A/V-cable and connect it directly to my surround box set, but this way I only get stereo. :-(

Anyone had the same problem and can help me?

waffledad
24th Nov 2008, 20:09
Try re setting your sound settings again. If this doesn't work then it is more than likely the game. Make sure it is set to PCM and not bitstream. If it is bitstream, then it may not have audio.

IF you are not sure where to do this on your PS3, respond and I'll type out the steps.

Cheers

Felis Catus
24th Nov 2008, 21:29
When I turn off all except PCM 44.1kHz and 48kHz (which can't be turned off) it seems to work, but as far as I know that means that I still only get a stereo signal that is being "upmixed" by my PCs sound card. Since it says "Dolby Digital" on the back of the box I was hoping to get 5.1...

waffledad
25th Nov 2008, 04:57
Hmmm, my PS3 is hooked up using HDMI and I definately am getting 5.1 (have a HDMI amp). I do know that when I moved and hooked the HDMI cable directly to the TV before I unpacked the home theater equipment, I had to reset the PS3 to hear the audio dialogue on movies because the TV doesn't have a center channel and it was only playing the front left and front right sounds from the TV until I made that change.

I also found that when using PCM audio, that when I put a dts type blu-ray in, it would say it was pcm audio and not decode the dts, other than it reconized there were 5, 6, or 7.1 discreet channels. Once I put it on bitstream, it then decoded as dts. If you have optical hooked up and you get sound, unless your digital decoder isn't reconizing the feed, it should be 5.1.

Felis Catus
25th Nov 2008, 11:00
Well, it's not my sound system, not my PC and not my PS3-Game; it's the girlfriends and she seems to be happy with the sound now, so I won't change it. ;-)