PDA

View Full Version : This Game Better Be Good

Vigilance
22nd Nov 2008, 10:30
I'm a huge Batman fan, especially Chris Nolan's recent Batman series. That being the case, it pains me that about 90% of all the Batman video games in existence... suck... a LOT. Batman Begins was almost half decent, Batman Forever was half decent, and there was another one on the sega not based on a movie that I enjoyed a little bit.

A few things I'm really hoping for with this game:

- It's not added to the list of millions of license games that rely only on the license to sell the game, and no actual work is put into the game itself. I hope the people behind this are passionate about the gameplay and replayability of the game, and not just squeezing out another batman romp to milk for profit.

- It follows in the steps of Chris Nolan's Batman, which is a dark, more realistic take compared to other iterations (mostly referring to Hollywood here. I'm not a comic kind of guy, so I don't know what kinds of things are available there)

- It doesn't suffer from really poor, repetitive, mindless gameplay. I'm hoping for some actual thought to be put not only into solving puzzles and stuff, but also into sneaking and combat. The claim that the game will indulge deeply in puzzling, sneaking and combat in different ways does not give me much hope, as that sort of thing is always used to generate hype.

This game LOOKS very promising, but looks can be deceiving. Video games have become a very commercialized item in the last few generations of consoles. Most of the games that come out are all about presentation and prerelease hype. Most games are not made with any passion or thought at all, graphics, ads and hype are used to sell games, not the actual quality of the games. This has me worried. The game looks promising, but it's SUPPOSED to. The ****tiest titles on the market can be made to look a hell of a lot better than they are in prerelease advertisements and hype.

This will definitely be an excited rental for me, but I'm not wasting my money on a potential piece of crap until I know it's good. I'm not a big gamer, so the problems in the industry don't effect me too much, but when it comes to gaming, I'm running out of places to turn, especially now that Bethesda has joined the trend of making ****ty games with shiny graphics (Oblivion; haven't played Fallout 3 yet, but I'm sure that could be way better too). Morrowind is in my top 3 favorite games, and though it's much, much older than Oblivion, it's also way better. When you think about it, it's really sad. That doesn't stop it from happening. The only way to play a quality game these days is either to play a game with mod capabilities because even if the company that puts it out there doesn't give a ****, someone with life and passion will come in and fix it, as can be seen with the Movie Battles 2 mod for Jedi Academy: www.moviebattles.com

Here's to hoping that this game at least has the gameplay to keep it interesting even months or years after buying it (like Splinter Cell, Grand Theft Auto, Morrowind, etc...)

What are everyone's thoughts about how this game could turn out? Anyone skeptical?

And what about Multiplayer? I would LOVE to see a separate multiplayer mode taking after Splinter Cell in that you have the full fledged single player mode, and then a completely separate game for multiplayer where one person plays as the Batman, and everyone else plays as bad guys (could be different scenarios, set ups, etc...). The bad guys might have to defend a series of objectives or something, and the Batman has to go in and do his thing, so the bad guys work together with what they have to try and combat the Batman. If done right it could kick a lot of ass. Any thoughts on whether or not Multiplayer is a possibility? In this day and age, especially on consoles, it's almost unacceptable to a degree for a game to be completely lacking some sort of multiplayer functionality. Unfortunately that, too, gives way to really hastily and poorly done games.

I've got my fingers crossed for this one.

dark_angel_7
22nd Nov 2008, 12:27
And what about Multiplayer? I would LOVE to see a separate multiplayer mode taking after Splinter Cell in that you have the full fledged single player mode, and then a completely separate game for multiplayer where one person plays as the Batman, and everyone else plays as bad guys (could be different scenarios, set ups, etc...). The bad guys might have to defend a series of objectives or something, and the Batman has to go in and do his thing, so the bad guys work together with what they have to try and combat the Batman. If done right it could kick a lot of ass. Any thoughts on whether or not Multiplayer is a possibility? In this day and age, especially on consoles, it's almost unacceptable to a degree for a game to be completely lacking some sort of multiplayer functionality. Unfortunately that, too, gives way to really hastily and poorly done games.

I like your ideas on multi-player and I sure hope Rocksteady take this on-board as multi-player would be great. :)

xXMiTcHiEXx
22nd Nov 2008, 13:37
Rocksteady did a great job with Urban Chaos, I'll bet they'll do a great job on Batman AA too ^^

Blak Puddn
22nd Nov 2008, 15:51
This will be the defining Batman game considering there is no movie tie and this game has it's own original story and the developers are not rushing this title at all which I'm very happy about. There will many of Batman's rogues in this game feel free to reference gameinformer which has a list of Batman's heavy hitters in the game. I lke the idea of multiplayer but seriously doubt there will be any this game will be a single person experience only. :cool:

Finland-Man
23rd Nov 2008, 08:51
Right now I can think up only three things in this that can fail. 1. Length, AA will probably last only 10-15 hours. 2. Boring combat, we don't know much about the combat. 3. Lack of extras, games these days should have special features. Everything else in this game seems to be excellent, 100 % sure.

BatmanIsHero
24th Nov 2008, 05:33
I'm a huge Batman fan, especially Chris Nolan's recent Batman series. That being the case, it pains me that about 90% of all the Batman video games in existence... suck... a LOT. Batman Begins was almost half decent, Batman Forever was half decent, and there was another one on the sega not based on a movie that I enjoyed a little bit.

- It's not added to the list of millions of license games that rely only on the license to sell the game, and no actual work is put into the game itself. I hope the people behind this are passionate about the gameplay and replayability of the game, and not just squeezing out another batman romp to milk for profit.

- It follows in the steps of Chris Nolan's Batman, which is a dark, more realistic take compared to other iterations (mostly referring to Hollywood here. I'm not a comic kind of guy, so I don't know what kinds of things are available there)

- It doesn't suffer from really poor, repetitive, mindless gameplay. I'm hoping for some actual thought to be put not only into solving puzzles and stuff, but also into sneaking and combat. The claim that the game will indulge deeply in puzzling, sneaking and combat in different ways does not give me much hope, as that sort of thing is always used to generate hype.

This game LOOKS very promising, but looks can be deceiving. Video games have become a very commercialized item in the last few generations of consoles. Most of the games that come out are all about presentation and prerelease hype. Most games are not made with any passion or thought at all, graphics, ads and hype are used to sell games, not the actual quality of the games. This has me worried. The game looks promising, but it's SUPPOSED to. The ****tiest titles on the market can be made to look a hell of a lot better than they are in prerelease advertisements and hype.

This will definitely be an excited rental for me, but I'm not wasting my money on a potential piece of crap until I know it's good. I'm not a big gamer, so the problems in the industry don't effect me too much, but when it comes to gaming, I'm running out of places to turn, especially now that Bethesda has joined the trend of making ****ty games with shiny graphics (Oblivion; haven't played Fallout 3 yet, but I'm sure that could be way better too). Morrowind is in my top 3 favorite games, and though it's much, much older than Oblivion, it's also way better. When you think about it, it's really sad. That doesn't stop it from happening. The only way to play a quality game these days is either to play a game with mod capabilities because even if the company that puts it out there doesn't give a ****, someone with life and passion will come in and fix it, as can be seen with the Movie Battles 2 mod for Jedi Academy: www.moviebattles.com

Here's to hoping that this game at least has the gameplay to keep it interesting even months or years after buying it (like Splinter Cell, Grand Theft Auto, Morrowind, etc...)

What are everyone's thoughts about how this game could turn out? Anyone skeptical?

I've got my fingers crossed for this one. Well, i hope the game is going to be longer enough and has lots of tactics. I personall, like Batman a lot and i cant for this game.

OSM1017
24th Nov 2008, 13:44
I'm really interested as to how this game is going to play. This will probably be the next Batman game I have purchased in a long time. Everything looks to be pretty close to the comics and the best bits of the franchise. Can't wait for this. I hope there's a lot of detective work involved in this game, like scanning papers and items (via Metroid Prime) for hints on things in the Asylum. I also want to see a great combat system implemented in this game that's perfect for the Dark Knight.

Vigilance
25th Nov 2008, 01:42
A really well done combat system, a plethora of ways to handle a situation (like in Splinter Cell, for example, and as this game claims to be in the preview articles), and interesting, thoughtful boss battles alone can enhance a game's replay value significantly. I'm hoping they realize this and do everything they can to make the gameplay interesting and engaging so that you can pick it up and play whenever and enjoy it.

That's another thing a separate, fairly simple multiplayer mode can do. It doesn't have to work into single player, it doesn't have to have all sorts of gimmicks like leader boards and super competitive balances or anything, as long as it's function, interesting and fun. I wouldn't really be surprised if they cut the idea of multiplayer to focus on single player, but if they did a separate multiplayer and did it correctly, it could really keep you coming back long after you've beaten the game.

That's not to say that story isn't important; it definitely is, but story is the reason you REMEMBER a game, not so much the reason you keep coming back to play it. Once you've beaten a game's story, you already know it from then on and while it might be nice to go through it again, gameplay is what gives a game its longevity. I'd really like to see a great story combined with great gameplay. In today's industry that might be asking for a lot, unfortunately, and most of the focus these days tends to be on graphics, but if it can be done, this could easily be a fantastic game.

DKRBatman
25th Nov 2008, 21:56
There's one other thing I want to see from this game aside from being awesome. I know it's a small thing, but I want there to be alot of great unlockables. There's alot of comic book games that promise awesome unlockables and then end up falling short. With Batman there can be so many possibilities for unlockables like costumes, art, and such.

I mean with costumes, there could be:

Golden-Age Batman
Dark Knight Returns Batman
Techno-Batsuit Batman
Red Son Batman

|THE D3T3TIVE|
1st Dec 2008, 05:51
"Well I Belive Your Right About what you spoke of. i have played batman Begins the game with was alot like a child's verson of Sc. It was a Decent game however after reading Game Informer & looking over what they said batman was able to pull off was a Dream come true. i am a true batman fan i still play batman begins & have beaten it over 100 times..No really i have. My Favourt Game though out of the lot of them was Batman Vengeance.

Your right about the whole looks Thing. i mean after all look what happned to batman dark tomarrow yes it had both the look & feel of the comics & Not to mention the most amazing Cgi Cutscenes i have ever seen before. though the game sucked really bad..it got like a 2.0 or less from everyone.

the only games i really liked was batman returns for the super nintendo..you know the beat-em up one. then the one on the Sega CD then afew others mostly the ones i already named. i am Not Going to Go Put Money down for this untill i have herd the fan's take & the big sites like IGN & some others. I Dont have the money to waste to rent this game. there is a game frog near me though i might play it there if they have it..if i like it then i will buy it.

i want hard facts youtube Reviews from fan's the works before i even consider getting this game. however this reminds me of alot of diffrent games like

bio shock
re4
rid**** from the orignal xbox
& batman begins from Ea.

i want this game..but i am going to wait it out & see what comes of it.

Stealthguy1986
1st Dec 2008, 09:22

I agree with most of the points you have mentioned but I would also like to add an extra point i.e. about optimization. No matter how good the gameplay is but if the game is poorly optimized then we won't be able to experience the game the way it is mean't to be. Some of the best examples of crappy ports are 'Spider-man web of Shadows, Alone in the dark (2008).

Apart from this I would like to emphasize the fact that nowadays most of the games especially the superhero games are just about mindless bashing and the problem with such games are that they can be damaging to our thought process. Nowadays you will hardly find games such as mgs1 (especially the vr missions) that requires the players to give a deliberate efort in their thinking.
So I both hope and wish that this game would feature a gameplay that would be challenging as well as entertaining.

imported_Jill_Valentine
1st Dec 2008, 15:42
I can't wait for this game. It looks very promising at this point (even though there isn't much to go on.....) and I have a lot of hope for this game. I think they'll get it right this time.

imbatman08
1st Dec 2008, 22:09
There's one other thing I want to see from this game aside from being awesome. I know it's a small thing, but I want there to be alot of great unlockables. There's alot of comic book games that promise awesome unlockables and then end up falling short. With Batman there can be so many possibilities for unlockables like costumes, art, and such.

I mean with costumes, there could be:

Golden-Age Batman
Dark Knight Returns Batman
Techno-Batsuit Batman
Red Son Batman

Yes !! Dude you know Your Stuff !! Unlockable Costumes would be AMAZING :D

Im sure this game will be way better than the other Batman games With new Combats new Look they have rele thought about this game.. theres 1 thing that sounds rele CoooooooL i read somewhere that if ur in a room full of thugs u can hide in the shadows and pick them off as you go along Now that is Prober Batman Hideing in the shadows would be so CoooooL

LikaLaruku
2nd Dec 2008, 12:36
Yes !! Dude you know Your Stuff !! Unlockable Costumes would be AMAZING :D

Especially if the costumes are embarassing or ammusing. Picture anyone wearing anyone else's costume.

Shadowstorm
17th Dec 2008, 21:24
yea this one better be good or i'm gonna bang my head real hard on eidos n rockstedy's door and leave some grey matter on their steps. out of dissapointment

Wigglez
24th Dec 2008, 23:55
I'm just hoping that this game isn't short. And different ways to aproach things like in Hitman

B47M4N
27th Dec 2008, 00:44
Right now I can think up only three things in this that can fail. 1. Length, AA will probably last only 10-15 hours. 2. Boring combat, we don't know much about the combat. 3. Lack of extras, games these days should have special features. Everything else in this game seems to be excellent, 100 % sure.

Well as far as length is concerned, that is usually what a normal single player action game's length is. I mean, if you want something longer than 10-15, maybe even 20 hours then you're talking about an RPG style game like fable and elder scrolls, even GTA. And this game clearly isn't going to be like any of those. As far as combat goes I can see your concern, not much is known aside from the fact that it will encompass 3 buttons (attack, stun, throw). I think the game will have a good amount of extras, according to what i've heard there are quite a couple of collectibles scattered around Arkham for you to pick up.