PDA

View Full Version : Will we still be able to change Adams gender/skin color?

Bloodwolf806
21st Nov 2008, 03:19
Like DX and IW?

Jerion
21st Nov 2008, 03:46
EM hasn't commented on this yet.

AaronJ
21st Nov 2008, 20:38
JC and Alex were both flexible unisex names. Adam is not.

Tick that off the list.

3nails4you
21st Nov 2008, 22:07
But AJ is, and they may yet make is choosable between Adam Jensen and/or Amy Jensen or something...

Spyhopping
22nd Nov 2008, 00:28
I personally wouldn't have liked to have a choice of gender. Focus seems to be lost on the substance of the character. If I get the choice I always choose a male character anyway, and I'm a girl

MaxxQ1
22nd Nov 2008, 02:57
I personally wouldn't have liked to have a choice of gender. Focus seems to be lost on the substance of the character. If I get the choice I always choose a male character anyway, and I'm a girl

That's okay...I'm a male, and, where the option is given, will play a female character from time to time. Aside from a few dialogue options, there's no real difference in most games (I think Oblivion had strength differences between male and female characters though).

I also seem to have a bit more fun playing female-character-only games, such as No One Lives Forever 1 and 2, and The Longest Journey. Admittedly, I've never played a Tomb Raider game (I tend to end up despising things that get overhyped/overcommercialized, and when I saw a Lara Croft pinup book:rolleyes: available at a book store several years ago, I swore that I would NEVER play a TR game).

GmanPro
22nd Nov 2008, 03:07
They should just keep AJ as a dude. That way they can focus on good character development and 8 years from now we'll all remember AJ as the next Gordon Freeman or JC Denton. If we get too much customization in our characters then they become unmemorable. IE The nameless one from Planescape: Torment was a very memorable and awesome character (one of the best in video game history imo), and the BG games just let you make whatever character you want to.

TrickyVein
22nd Nov 2008, 03:53
You were a dork if you played as a guy in IW - but you became wicked smart and sexy if you played as a girl.

At least, I thought so. I always much prefer to play as a female (given the option).

Unless the guy is incredibly badass cool - like JC, admittedly - or Rid**** - or, hopefully, AJ.

MaxxQ1
22nd Nov 2008, 04:06
They should just keep AJ as a dude. That way they can focus on good character development and 8 years from now we'll all remember AJ as the next Gordon Freeman or JC Denton. If we get too much customization in our characters then they become unmemorable. IE The nameless one from Planescape: Torment was a very memorable and awesome character (one of the best in video game history imo), and the BG games just let you make whatever character you want to.

Agreed, although I think Maxx, my BG character, was pretty memorable, and I still talk about him from time to time.:D

But yeah, I see your point, and don't have a problem either way.

Edit to add: I just finished my first playthrough of Fallout 3 last night as a male character. I've started a new, female character this time, and I plan on picking up the Black Widow perk, just so I can see some of the dialogue options that it's supposed to open up. Could be fun...

Spyhopping
22nd Nov 2008, 04:17
I certainly enjoy games with female protagonists in them but I think it takes something important away from the 'personality' development of the character if you can actually choose their gender. I'm sure Adam will probably have a blank slate personality for you to build your own ideas around, but being able to play a different gender seems to be like having two completely different people as the protagonist.

imported_van_HellSing
22nd Nov 2008, 18:16
How about Eve? Surely it'll change the acronym but does it even have a significance like JC?

By the way, "Jensen" is the danish equivalent of "Johnson". The DX franchise already has someone named Johnson. The AI construct Ava Johnson from IW. Incidentally, "Ava" is another form of the name "Eve"...

Jerion
22nd Nov 2008, 18:18
I think we'll be able to change his skin color. I don't think we'll be able to change the gender though.

GmanPro
22nd Nov 2008, 23:05
We'll probably be able to change his hair color too.

AaronJ
23rd Nov 2008, 16:12
Incidentally, "Ava" is another form of the name "Eve"...

By the way, we can all stop this crap now. We know that DX3 won't be that deep of a game.

jordan_a
23rd Nov 2008, 16:17
We'll probably be able to change his hair color too.If the marketing department considers it necessary, they'll do it for sure. About the gender I don't think it will be possible to choose, and ina way I like it.

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Nov 2008, 20:49
By the way, we can all stop this crap now. We know that DX3 won't be that deep of a game.

[citation needed] :rolleyes:

jordan_a
23rd Nov 2008, 21:01
He says this because Warren Spector told us, after having seen AJ's video analysis, that even them didn't think that much for making a game.

Jerion
23rd Nov 2008, 21:30
^^ Maybe it's just me but that sentence is very confusing.

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 21:37
No, I'm confused too. :(

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Nov 2008, 21:42
1. EM release a DX3 teaser chock-full of hidden info

2. Aaron analyses the crap out of it,several other people obtain similar results independently.

3. Spector is impressed at the analyses, saying Ion Storm hadn't put that much thought into the first Deus Ex.

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 21:45
Ahhh, I get it now. :thumbsup:

Jerion
23rd Nov 2008, 21:46
Yes, much clearer. :thumbsup:

sonn
23rd Nov 2008, 22:03
the female protagonist in Invisible Wars is one of my favorite game characters. I remember I liked the voice acting.

AaronJ
24th Nov 2008, 03:44
1. EM release a DX3 teaser chock-full of hidden info

2. Aaron analyses the crap out of it,several other people obtain similar results independently.

3. Spector is impressed at the analyses, saying Ion Storm hadn't put that much thought into the first Deus Ex.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And if that was meant to be an intentional crack, I'm aware that I am a contributor to "that crap".

imported_van_HellSing
24th Nov 2008, 05:33
Now I'm not sure what you're saying, but just to clarify: "Aaron analyses the crap out of it" was a compliment.

jc_lemon_lime
28th Nov 2008, 08:10
though it would be a shame to lose the replayablity of swapping genders, it's hard to argue with the game having a single, fleshed out protagonist like adam. but then again, can't we have both?

i haven't heard anyone suggest a 'leon/clare' soultion to this problem...

let's suppose that game has an 'eve' if you will. she could be another member of adam's security detail, or maybe a researcher that excaped the commando raid. adam and eve team up to find who's behind the raid and why it was ordered. they split up to follow diffrent leads, but meet up before major set-pieces or plot points (i.e. breaking into morgan everett's house) to share what they've learned. you'd then be given an A or B choice: (distract the guards while the other sneaks in) if you're playing as adam and choose A eve will do B, and the only way you can get the complete picture is if you beat the game twice (a playthough as each of them)

i know it probably won't happen, but if think it would be an elegant compramise; and would open the door to online co-op, of eidos felt the need to add it

WTO SpecOp #1136
28th Nov 2008, 20:27
I think it just depends on the person. There are some people that definitely want to play as a guy then there people that to play as a female. There are some people that want their character to be just like themselves in real life. In Mass Effect you had the option just to go with the regular main character, or you could have generated your own which doesn't mess up the story at all. I think the option should be there just in case. Plus the skin color also.

TrickyVein
29th Nov 2008, 16:11
Consider:

We should be able to dress AJ up like a ken barbie doll, or at least give him tattoos and bling before playing. Choose all of your different styles and colours of clothing, height, build, weight - like building a custom skater in the Tony Hawk skating titles.

Am I *****ing you? You decide. :D

Jima B
29th Nov 2008, 20:20
I think id prefer an uncustomisable character.
That way its much easier to actually get into their shoes.
Maybe male and female/black and white... but when clothes and things start getting into the mess it gets fussy, and eliminated the possibility of references to your appearance, as well as harming the back story, to a degree.

jc_lemon_lime
30th Nov 2008, 09:31
I think id prefer an uncustomisable character.
That way its much easier to actually get into their shoes.
Maybe male and female/black and white... but when clothes and things start getting into the mess it gets fussy, and eliminated the possibility of references to your appearance, as well as harming the back story, to a degree.

i agree. the game would lose all credability if you were to take a character who is supposed to be a hardend, highly PMC, and then dress him up in a pink wife-beater, flip-flops, and a pimp chain like Saint's Row.

one thing that could be cool though, is to put in a disguise system; like Splinter Cell and MGS did to a limited degree

WTO SpecOp #1136
2nd Dec 2008, 00:29
Consider:

We should be able to dress AJ up like a ken barbie doll, or at least give him tattoos and bling before playing. Choose all of your different styles and colours of clothing, height, build, weight - like building a custom skater in the Tony Hawk skating titles.

Am I *****ing you? You decide. :D

I didn't mean adding flip flops or messed up clothing or making your character into a freak. I meant customization like Jima B's example. Either male or female with the choice of skin color.

FrankCSIS
2nd Dec 2008, 00:55
I fail to see how relevant most of this is in a first-person game anyway. Honestly there are so many other things that can be developed to improve immersion compared to the colour of the skin or the haircut your dude sports, especially considering you'll never get to see it outside of cutscenes, if any. So unless the footwear you sport has an effect on the noise you make or how fast you can run, I don't want to have to choose between converse and leather boots before heading out in the streets to bust some faces and ask some questions.

As far as gender is concerned, playing a female character can be very interesting, but the game, and the story, has to be adapted to it. Changing a few dialog boxes is pretty pointless and a waste of time for the experience it actually procures. If the actual game is built around the female protagonist, than the fun can begin.

I guess a unisex game could be achieved properly, but they better know what they're doing. I think Fallout 2 somewhat handled it well, making a lot of aspects different and unlocking several options depending on your sex. It was also just plain fun to seduce some big dumb guys you couldn't beat before blowing their heads off with a Desert Eagle if you played as a girl, or getting a gangster's daughter pregnant in New Reno if you opted for the dude. In other words, make use of the fact that you are indeed male or female.

foxberg
2nd Dec 2008, 01:12
Would you be able to make Adams into a Shemale? :confused: :eek:

jc_lemon_lime
2nd Dec 2008, 02:19
Would you be able to make Adams into a Shemale? :confused: :eek:

i dunno; shanghai's only about a 4 hour flight from bangkok:D

Red
2nd Dec 2008, 12:46
Look... 2 genders; twice as much:

- work with modeling (since there will be some "cool" external mechanical augs)
- voice recording
- animation rendering (since there will be some "cool" external mechanical augs)
- costs (voice-actor, extra modelers etc...)

+

As far as gender is concerned, playing a female character can be very interesting, but the game, and the story, has to be adapted to it. Changing a few dialog boxes is pretty pointless and a waste of time
+
the game would be shorter of course, since too many resources would be spent on female protagonist rather than on the story and the environment.
Invisible War did it.

FrankCSIS
2nd Dec 2008, 23:55
True enough, which is why I don't really see the point of incorporating both sexes. I don't recall ever reading a book where I could pick what the character looked like and what sex he was before the prologue.

The only other decent way would be to play with different characters in different parts of the game, the way narrators sometimes change between chapters. It's been done a few times, sometimes well, sometimes with uninteresting results.

GmanPro
3rd Dec 2008, 00:35
^^
Yeah, like CoD4. I was upset when I couldn't keep playing as the marine dude, I thought he was cooler than the SAS dude, but whatever...

An interesting mod for DX1 would've been a set of missions where you play as Paul. :whistle:

Laokin
3rd Dec 2008, 06:11
JC and Alex were both flexible unisex names. Adam is not.

Tick that off the list.

Rene said she was called Adamette. Also, it's been confirmed you can choose the sex.

Igoe
3rd Dec 2008, 06:15
Honestly, I'm ok with Adam now. I was REALLY REALLY wanting the protagonist to be a female in DX3, but now that I've seen Adam and the general DX3 atmosphere, I'm very happy with the design, and I hope nothing changes.

AJ fully encompasses "cyberpunk" in all aspects, and I think EM did an incredible job fusing DX3 with neopunk. I don't think a female could have the same image that AJ does.

imported_van_HellSing
3rd Dec 2008, 06:19
Rene said she was called Adamette. Also, it's been confirmed you can choose the sex.

I want whatever you're smoking.

Laokin
3rd Dec 2008, 06:37
I want whatever you're smoking.

Rene said it, in one of the first threads after the news about Adam. It was in the original "What Rene Said" thread, before it was relocated and locked.

Google "dx3 adamette"

And the very first listing shows a caption that says

"DEUS EX 3 - THE FACTS Thread (aka "What Rene Said...") - Page 2 ...
Actually, the female is Adamette. And it is a prequel "

I seen it with my own two eyes and google still has it cached. Wonder why it's not in there now?

P.S.
WTH is going on with eidos. I went to DeusEx3.com and for like 2 days it showed a whole page with info and magazine scans and everything. Then it vanished and went back to the trailer website. (The news was a compilation of the stuff that was talked about in the forums. I.E. nothing new.)

Also, the url used to be forums.deusex3.com

Just a few days ago it changes to "http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251"

Which I must say is quite inconvenient to remember. Forced me to use book marks. What's with all the shuffling?

imported_van_HellSing
3rd Dec 2008, 06:43
EDIT: Scratch that. It wasn't a Rene quote, it was from Romeo.

GmanPro
3rd Dec 2008, 06:43
Maybe they are reorganizing stuff for the dev blog. I dunno...

Jerion
3rd Dec 2008, 06:47
It's always been http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251. forums.deusex3.com was just a redirect.

I think they're organizing things for a Devblog for the new year. :)

Laokin
3rd Dec 2008, 07:01
EDIT: Scratch that. It wasn't a Rene quote, it was from Romeo.

Oh sorry.... remember the R name. Memory fails I suppose.

It's always been http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=251. forums.deusex3.com was just a redirect.

Oh.... well, I liked the redirect. No comment on why there was a real DeusEx3.com for like two days? lol

jc_lemon_lime
4th Dec 2008, 22:03
Honestly, I'm ok with Adam now. I was REALLY REALLY wanting the protagonist to be a female in DX3, but now that I've seen Adam and the general DX3 atmosphere, I'm very happy with the design, and I hope nothing changes.

AJ fully encompasses "cyberpunk" in all aspects, and I think EM did an incredible job fusing DX3 with neopunk. I don't think a female could have the same image that AJ does.

:o i argee. this is probably all moot anyway, because i imagen things like the number of player charaters has already been set in stone

Necros
6th Dec 2008, 11:33
Isn't that supposed to be started sometime this month? :scratch: