PDA

View Full Version : Emergent "gunplay"?

LeatherJacket
20th Nov 2008, 19:41
My handle is a reference to a nice old game Urban Assault (http://www.microsoft.com/games/urbanassault/). You played as a human who apparently went by the name Leather Jacket before being permanently hooked up to a host station that defends your faction against various others (some off-worldly) across many maps in a post apocalyptic world. You can create various units such as tanks and planes to take control of the map and defeat the enemies. It was mostly an RTS which still let you jump into individual units and fight using an FPS point of view.

The reason I bring this up is it had a very powerful tank unit called the Rhino which could launch long range missiles which cause severe damage. One way to use it was to control manually and go close to an enemy station until it is visible and attack. But this often put you under enemy fire and the Rhino used to get destroyed. If you pull back you can't locate it due to fog of war. The optimal way I found was to use the alternate fire which showed you the missile's onboard camera view. Then it was a series of fire and re-position the turret until it hit :D (It was not a guided missile) It was a pretty nice experience way back then to discover this.

I wish that weapons in DX3 have certain interesting quirks that one could utilize in interesting ways. I don't have great ideas of what they could be in a DX world but I think having something like that even for a weapon or two would make using them very interesting and increase the depth of the gunplay. Atleast they can start with the sniper rifle and make gravity influence the shot. This also fits well with DX3's approach of not letting skills influence weapon accuracy.

Jerion
20th Nov 2008, 20:26
I think that with the extensive weapon enhancement system in DX 3 that the player could develop these quirks by him/her self. :D

GmanPro
20th Nov 2008, 21:10
I always liked the Tau Cannon from Half Life 1. Maybe DX3 isn't quite advanced enough to warrant laser weapons, but they should still have EMP weapons. Maybe an energy weapon of some sort that is meant for use against mechs/bots, and has an EMP grenade as its secondary fire. :thumbsup:

Igoe
20th Nov 2008, 22:07
I just want a crude version of the GEP gun.

It was too cool a concept to ditch in DX:IW. Sure you got a camera instead, but there weren't THAT many open areas to use it in.

I miss my *beep......beep...beep..beep beep beepbeepbeep!*

Jerion
20th Nov 2008, 22:09
^^ Ah, the good ole' GEP Gun. So useful for blowing up bots, cameras, co-workers, and even the occasional blast door. :D

GmanPro
20th Nov 2008, 22:31
Never know when I might come up against some heavy armor. Give me the GEP gun. :cool:

LeatherJacket
21st Nov 2008, 16:57
Well simple accuracy/damage increasing mods won't really lead to any emergent gameplay. Things like spawning a spider bot in DX2 which in turn could be hacked. Its designed to allow such gameplay. In other words it should not be the default way of using something, it should be slightly unexpected. Say you have a camera round (I know we don't have different ammo :( ) which you can use in a sniper to shoot a sticky mini camera onto something. Can be used for remote surveillance. Now if you shoot this almost vertically up it can be made to descend not too fast and you can get a bird's eye view of the most of the map.

Jerion
21st Nov 2008, 17:24
Nah, see, I think the way it works is that each weapon can only fire one type of ammo in each iteration of it's customization. You could modify it with skill points to fire a different, more specialized round. Hence the "railgun" modification to the sniper rifle. :)

That said, I think a High-yield EMP round would be great. Extremely rare, you fire upwards in a wide open space and it detonates, disabling all soft electronics in the vicinity. Hardened electronics and sheilded bots would remain active however.

Romeo
22nd Nov 2008, 05:18
Personally, I'd like to see Railgun ammo in the Railgun. That's one of my favorite weapons from all of Deus Ex. Throw on a scope, and call it a day.

jordan_a
23rd Nov 2008, 16:41
Guys, please remember we have numerous weapons' threads already. :D

Abram730
27th Nov 2008, 21:37
If there were a railgun barrel mod then stealth sniping would be out of the question as that's about as subtle as a roman candle, but the punch of a gun like that could be quite worth it. Also that would use power so there would be 2 drawbacks to it, but again there something to be said for shooting a bullet as Mach 8 burning in the air.

choices like suppressors, or porting the gases to reduce recoil also have benefits. You have to choose. a true suppressed gun will use subsonic rounds and have lower damage. If the game lets you swap mods then the mods should take up room in your inventory and not be swappable in combat.

I like the idea of modular guns, where parts have pros and cons.
Also I like the idea of upgradeable or stackable mods.. a supressor could upgrade with suppression of muzzle flash.

If there is a system for weapons conditions used, it shouldn't as big of a factor as fallout(200 year old weapons with dirty powder). Guns can catch fire if not cleaned, but again not like fallout 3 as that was a special case.

a big difference between fallout3 and DX would be the gun mechanics.. fallout is more of a dice roll, an DX has more realistic fps gun mechanics. fallout 3 feels like the bullets are round.

I think DX3 should be more about mod's then finding an uber version. Gun enthusiasts will like the realism.. I've known a few that could describe in detail how to disassemble specific weapons and I remember hearing about an auto sear.. I understood that it was for full auto but I hadn't seen one and thus didn't understand the mechanics or have a visual point of reference so I just nodded and agreed... lol
I've worked with people that look at guns and ammo like a playboy mag... so that's the smile and nod part as I do know a bit about guns and would get into convo's, but a lot would go over my head.

I think a DX3 weapon mod system, if well done will pull in the interests of hardcore gamers..

gamer0004
29th Nov 2008, 17:34
Its set in a Sci-fi future city so I bet there are going to be some high-tech and unique weapons.

Psychomorph
29th Nov 2008, 17:49
A big difference between fallout3 and DX would be the gun mechanics.. fallout is more of a dice roll, an DX has more realistic fps gun mechanics. fallout 3 feels like the bullets are round.

I think DX3 should be more about mod's then finding an uber version. Gun enthusiasts will like the realism.. I've known a few that could describe in detail how to disassemble specific weapons and I remember hearing about an auto sear.. I understood that it was for full auto but I hadn't seen one and thus didn't understand the mechanics or have a visual point of reference so I just nodded and agreed... lol
I've worked with people that look at guns and ammo like a playboy mag... so that's the smile and nod part as I do know a bit about guns and would get into convo's, but a lot would go over my head.

I think a DX3 weapon mod system, if well done will pull in the interests of hardcore gamers..
I'm not a gun nut and know not as much about them like some... gun nuts, but I appreciate realism above all, so I hope weapon design and handling and effects will be "serious", instead of absurd (I am confident, because from the pictures I have seen so far the weapon design looks outstanding, I only hope it will feel and work as good as it looks).

I really hate it how game developers often treat the science fiction genre like a debile child. I have seen semi-serious sci-fi games with weapon design that looks like toys for 5-10 years old, absurd, immature and frustrating.
I mean even the realism shooter games often can't get the weapons right (while the looks are well done, the behavior not really), but sci-fi is often low down.

However, the weapons we know from DX3 so far look like they could be a blast to play with. Keep that course Eidos!

GmanPro
29th Nov 2008, 19:59
The best game for having a ton of awesome guns to choose from is Fallout 2. I also liked the guns from Half-Life. :thumbsup:

Jima B
29th Nov 2008, 20:55
I have seen semi-serious sci-fi games with weapon design that looks like toys for 5-10 years old, absurd, immature and frustrating.
I too was frustrated with lego-starwars.

I love DX's level of weapon customisation/development in the first game, and even the second. I believe that it should be developed and perfected, and most certainly not forgotten about.

Abram730
1st Dec 2008, 04:47
Modular weapons are the way to go.

From Barret, a 6.8x43mm SPC upper receiver for the AR-15/M16 rifle and M4/M4A1 Carbine lower receiver platform(5.56x45mm to a 6.8x43mm M468).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMpN_-pcas
note(5:30-6:20)

XM307 to XM312 in less the 2 min.
(6:00-8:00)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHf_vMd5MOQ

Imagine a GEP gun that could refit for 50 cal rounds..:cool:

you could say have a rifle and carry a different upper receiver.. this would take up less room in your inventory then 2 weapons. Perhaps they just snap in, in 2027.

It gives a base and room for upgrade. pistol/light/mid/heavy..
light small arms say 10mm to 4mm rifle AP ammo.. mid rifle 5-8mm range and heavy GEP/grenade/50 cal. A flame unit could also fire chemicals, like say a pepper spray.

say an assault weapon takes 3x2 tiles.. an extra barrel may only take 2x1.
Perhaps there could be custom weapons that are not modular, perhaps some that fire different ammo by design without replacement parts.

I'm for a large variety of ammo... and having modular weapons makes for easy modeling as part of the gun stays the same.

This is just an Idea though. I'd consider choosing between a muzzle break and suppressor a nice choice.