PDA

View Full Version : Framerate issues.

jayjay119
20th Nov 2008, 14:21
So anyone who has played CD's TR games will by now be used to the appaling contols of the camera in their game, and form what people and reviews have said TRU looks to be now different...However after 2 games of poorely constructed camera controls it should be relitively easy to adapt to. However one thing that is REALLY worrying me is the amount of talk of 'framerate reductions' on both platforms lately as if they are serious enough [eg the PS3 port of Splinter Cell double agent] can make or break a game . Would some of the guys here who have completed/ played the game comment on how [non] existant, sever, unnoticable these are please. thankyou!

GoranAgar
20th Nov 2008, 14:43
2 PCs with GeForce 8800 GS, no issues whatsoever.

josh1122
20th Nov 2008, 17:17
played it,beat it, all 20hrs of playing i didn't notice one issue either

Joshorty
20th Nov 2008, 18:39
From the other side of the forums I heard hte PS3 version isn't looking as great or moves as great as the 360...and that person is no fanboy either. He/she traded the PS3 version in for the 360 version and the 360 had it all better.

O man that's not the only bad news for the PS3 version but framerate mainly, the issues exists. That's what he said anyway but with all these threads on the PS3 version I'm worried.

ZXcorr
21st Nov 2008, 20:20
I have the PS3 version and the framerate drop issues happen almost all the time!
It's kinda annoying. The game could be so much better without these framerate issues alone.

Joshorty
21st Nov 2008, 21:01
Yeeah I played yesterday and it's on my Square Standard Def TV (with surround :D ) and I see frame rate drops (not as much as yours though) so now I'm realyl worried on what this will be like 720p. ^Is that on 720p? Well that's the only supported HD res so I suppose if your TV can upscale 720p is the least you can go for.

pleomax
22nd Nov 2008, 06:11
Must be annoying to have frame rate issues on a console as theirs nothing you can do.

At least on a pc you can tinker with the res, settings, aa. Even overclock it.

ZXcorr
22nd Nov 2008, 07:15
Yeeah I played yesterday and it's on my Square Standard Def TV (with surround :D ) and I see frame rate drops (not as much as yours though) so now I'm realyl worried on what this will be like 720p. ^Is that on 720p? Well that's the only supported HD res so I suppose if your TV can upscale 720p is the least you can go for.
Yep. I play it on HD. My TV supports up to 1080p but I guess this game is only 720p max.

In the nemesis inside the tube scene, the motion is not smooth.
But when it zooms in to Lara, the motion is smooth again.

But I still enjoy the game.
Hopefully, this won't happen again in the next installment.

Dusk Knight
25th Nov 2008, 05:27
The PS3 frame issues are definitely annoying, but they don't ruin the experience. It's still an amazing looking game.
I get the feeling it's a lack of optimizations rather than a hardware shortcoming. PS3 is probably a lot harder to optimize than 360 unfortunately.

Also, I could be wrong, but don't think changing the PS3s output resolution affects performance.

Curious101
25th Nov 2008, 07:46
With everything dialed down, I get about 15 FPS on average, 5 if there's any kind of lighting effects going on (Croft Manor crypt, with the flames, was especially bad)

Felis Catus
25th Nov 2008, 10:52
Played the game on PC and PS3.

PC: Phenom 9950, Radeon 4850 - 4xAA 4xAF - some problems in big rooms, when there are water reflections and particles in the air and light and shadows and all at once, but never below 20fps. Reduced to 4xAA and trilinear, no problems then. (Except when coming back from the windows desktop (Vista), which seems to use a lot of graphics memory, and then the game can't keep up getting all textures back in...)

PS3: No problems yet. Well, except for an arm sticking out of her back pack in a cut scene :eek: as well as the usual PS3 problems.

Edit: After reinstalling the graphics drivers - there were some (Windows) issues with a second display connected to the card and some problems with a different game (Anno 1701) - I now can run Underworld on 8xAA and 16xAF, still with only the occasional frame rate drop. Don't know why it works so much better now.