PDA

View Full Version : Will Deus Ex 3 top Fallout 3? - The Final Showdown

AaronJ
19th Nov 2008, 03:04
I bought Fallout 3, and it is absolutely incredible. 10/10, perfection (except for the excessive amount of the same metro/sewer levels...).

But, I don't know where I'm at between Fallout 3 and DX3. On one hand, I guess it should be good news that a new studio can make a phenomenal addition to a series. But on the other hand, I've got the following issues weighing down:

-Technology
-Standalone
-Mainstream
-Cliché story elements (Barret, Average Joe Security Guard Protagonist, Upper/Lower Seattle aspect, BLACK OPS COMMANDOS!!!!)

This is not an attack thread. This is also not a locked thread.

I wrote a poll, but it died. Just voice your opinions and discuss.

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 03:10
I'm not sure where I'm at either. Though I don't think DX 3 will have a cliché story. :)

You're right that this isn't a locked thread. Do you see the little "Closed" button anywhere? :p

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 03:18
If it is anything like the original, then Deus Ex 3 will be way better than Fallout 3. And I'm a huge Fallout fan.

IMO, Bethesda's games are all the same. They are good for one playthrough and maybe half of another, but in the end you always realize that its all the same. I don't know why Bethesda thinks that its fun to walk through the wilderness for 10 minutes... It gets boring real quick. Fortunately, due to the nature of the game, Deus Ex 3 will not include any of the major issues i had with Fallout 3. So there. :thumbsup:

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 03:47
^^ A bit like Crysis. Extremely engaging environments, but when you walk through the same area of wilderness for 10 minutes it gets boring after the first playthrough. In that regard, Crytek learned it's lesson with the expansion (Crysis Warhead).

DXeXodus
19th Nov 2008, 04:59
Well. There are certain things I really love about Fallout 3.

I am going to take off my shiny moderator badge and sash and be honest here for a second. :)

Fallout 3 has:

- Large, open levels and sprawling environments
- So many ways to achieve your objectives
- Pretty cool inventory system
- Lots of items and things to pick up and do stuff with
- Plenty weapons
- Locational damage and a fun combat system
- Lots of quests
- Choices with consequences
- No regenerating health
- A pretty cool (if not highly unrealistic) stealth system

But it has it's share of issues:

- Bugs
- Poor dialog (better than Oblivion though)
- Moonwalking animations
- Some poor balancing

Now all of this stuff, and I am sure I have forgotten plenty, comes together to form one of the best games I have played since Deus Ex. In fact it breaches my top 3 list.

On the other hand I love what Eidos Montreal are doing with Deus Ex 3.

- Awesome art direction
- Interesting player character
- Different back story
- Interesting looking levels
- Great weapons so far
- Bringing back inventory management
- Skills system of some sort

What I am still on the fence about (and ready to be swayed onto the side of good):

- Auto health regeneration
- No skill based aiming
- Boss confrontations (If they turn out to be like Beyond good and Evil and not like the original Deus Ex)

Out of the three things above which I am unsure of, Auto Health regeneration is the biggest to me. I still cannot see how this can fit in a Deus Ex game. Especially so if it is a COD style health regen system. I will not boycott the game if it happens. But I will be more than happy to download a mod to make it go away and put in med-packs.

So. I think it is still too early to tell which one will be the better game. And Fallout 3 has the obvious advantage at the moment by already being in the consumers hands. I do, however believe that DX3 will be better in Fallout 3 in certain areas. Amongst those I would say:

- Weapons
- Animations
- Dialog
- Stealth (Line of sight stealth is a good idea IMO)

So I reserve my judgment until a later stage, But for now I certainly hope that DX3 is better than FO3 because then it will be a truly magnificent game.

Yargo
19th Nov 2008, 05:58
^^^
Speaking of bugs. Mine crashes (mui) often. Its fairly annoying, and I have the fist patch. I get bored of walking around but thats why there is fast travel and a lvl 20 reveal all locations perk. As for all Bethesda games being the same, I can say that you can see the Oblivion influences, which are fairly large. But there are some cool things that are new. Like the ospreys (vertebirds) coming down and dropping off enclave soldiers. Nothing like that in Oblivion. I'm not done yet, so that is another thing that I think Bethesda does right.

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 06:14
Fallout 3 was a great game, don't get me wrong here, but as far as all the positives that you mentioned above, I would say that:

- Large, open levels and sprawling environments
-with nothing to do except keep running until you get to where you are trying to go.

- Pretty cool inventory system
- dumbed down from classic fallout

- Plenty weapons
- less than classic fallout by far

- Locational damage and a fun combat system

- not as engaging or memorable as classic fallout (too short and simple)

- Lots of quests
- not as many as either fallout 1 or 2.

- A pretty cool (if not highly unrealistic) stealth system
- Well I have to admit that I don't really have anything against the stealth system because classic fallout didn't even have stealth

- No regenerating health
- At least they didn't bring that into play *shudder*

Good news is that, as was the case with oblivion, there will be a barrage of mods to satisfy us with Fallout 3. :thumbsup:

SageSavage
19th Nov 2008, 06:18
Exploring the wastelands would have been far more interesting for me if there weren't so many invisible walls (that often seem to exist solely to force me into a specific route).

There is still no SDK, btw..

Jerion
19th Nov 2008, 06:20
^^
"Please, Do Not Touch"

-The evil hong kong maid

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 06:23
^^
It was so satisfying to just walk out of the elevator and cap them both quickly and efficiently. :thumbsup:

I've tried to go through each and every situation in that game as many different ways as I can think of. Such a good game.

DXeXodus
19th Nov 2008, 07:04
Fallout 3 was a great game, don't get me wrong here, but as far as all the positives that you mentioned above, I would say that:

-with nothing to do except keep running until you get to where you are trying to go.

- dumbed down from classic fallout

- less than classic fallout by far

- not as engaging or memorable as classic fallout (too short and simple)

- not as many as either fallout 1 or 2.

- Well I have to admit that I don't really have anything against the stealth system because classic fallout didn't even have stealth

- At least they didn't bring that into play *shudder*

Good news is that, as was the case with oblivion, there will be a barrage of mods to satisfy us with Fallout 3. :thumbsup:

Most of the things you point out are FO3's difference compared to FO2 and FO1. I am pointing out it's strong points as a standalone game. Which is necessary, seeing as I want to compare it to Deus Ex 3. :)

And I find that exploring the wastes is lots of fun. Not just something one does to get from A to B. And fast travel is the devil.

APostLife
19th Nov 2008, 07:13
I don't what Fallout 3 is even about, but I hope that DX3 has the same degree of effort put into the game, as same or better than DX1.

GmanPro
19th Nov 2008, 07:15
Well I think that it was way better in Fallout 1 and 2 when only the important areas were actually there. If you wanted to go from Junktown to a Raider camp, you simply went to the world map and it tracked your progress as you approached the site and occasionally you were interrupted by the various wasteland dangers. Seems like a better solution to me.

Lol I still remember sometimes in Fallout, you would be traveling on the world map and you'd stumble upon a gigantic dinosaur-like footprint in the middle of the desert. And it was seriously like the size of the whole map. Good times.

Another thing I was disappointed over in Fallout 3 as compared to the first two was that there were no major cities to go to. In Fallout 1 you could go to the ruins of Los Angeles and there was a major settlement there, and Fallout 2 you could go to New Reno. There was no huge city in Fallout 3, very upsetting. I was looking forward to the opportunity to spend all of my money at some epic gun store in DC somewhere. DC should have been a settlement, it's dumb that they couldn't keep the super mutants out of it. There was only like 30 of them in the whole city...

Lazarus Ledd
19th Nov 2008, 20:41
By the time Deus Ex 3 comes Fallout 3 won't even have decency to appear at the O.K. Corral. :rasp:
Deus Ex 3 is in it's own league.

The pupil will overthrone it's master you all call Fallout 3.

What about White Gold? Sequel of ideas to Boiling Point =D

piippo
21st Nov 2008, 01:32
I bought Fallout 3, and it is absolutely incredible. 10/10, perfection (except for the excessive amount of the same metro/sewer levels...).

I wrote a poll, but it died. Just voice your opinions and discuss.

So you are an easy person to please? Fallout 3 is far from perfect, and anyone that thinks so needs to wait few weeks after playing the game before claiming such nonsense. There isn't single one game that is perfect 10/10, and Fallout 3 isn't one of them either.

The biggest flaws are the subpar quality of writing overall, it just isn't Bethesda's forte. Talk about cliches on Fallout 3! Father gone missing and good versus bad, brotherhood of steel versus. enclave. Too black & white, suddently BoS is a organization that has lost it's power and turned into a fantasy-like organization. Another pointer is the poor animation and facial expressions. Technically we are looking at Gamebryo engine slightly modified, but it's nothing spectacular to be honest. Their approach to Fallout 3 was to disregard almost everything what made Fallout's 1 & 2 Fallout, but they did improve on certain things too. Not all bad. My verdict would be more in the lines of it being a very good game, but overly hyped for mainstream audience. For those who waited it, it might be a positive surprise after all - I expected worse when the release came closer. A few years back I had too high expectations, gladly I managed to put that aside, else it would have been dissappointing.

So can Deus Ex 3 top it? Well sure, if it does story and writing well, more meaningful dialogue among other things. More compelling storyline, and pacing. Less retarded enemies. The feel was good in Fallout 3, but that feeling broke time to times, I hope Deus Ex 3 avoids this. The visual look of Deus Ex 3 is nice, but so far I think we've seen stuff from console builds, and models have very low polycount and overall the technical side is bit faded. You could do so much more on PC, but for a game like Deus Ex 3 that isn't the most pressing issue.

Igoe
21st Nov 2008, 05:25
I guess I'd like to point out here that perhaps the story we've been given is cliche for a reason?

Let me run a small example by you:

You are an elite counter-terrorist agent, who must single handedly save the world from terrorists while uncovering clues about your past and secret government conspiracies.

If that doesn't sound cliche, I'd like a copy of whatever dictionary you're using.

Why give out the good bits before the game is even half done?

OF COURSE they'll be giving us the non-juicy bits. Patience and Faith.

Being rick-rolled is a powerful tool in the gaming industry.

You'll be thanking your lucky stars when you go in expecting cliche dribble and end up being blown away in the first few hours.

GmanPro
21st Nov 2008, 05:42
^^

That's one of the reasons that I was so blown away by DX1. It came in under the radar and my brother played it before I did. He told me it was the greatest game he'd ever played so I'm like... ok I'll give it a try. The first hour or so of gameplay was pretty standard, I was a secret agent with guns doing secret agent stuff, and then BOOM! It just sucked me into the world and I couldn't put it down even if I tried. I think it happened when I went inside the hangar and the plot twists started to reveal themselves. It was so good because games didn't do that, at least none of the games I'd played up until that point. It was unbelievably refreshing, like a good book.

It's certainly not going to be easy for EM to bottle up that kind of experience. But I am eagerly waiting to see they've created and 100% ready to be blown away a second time.

Jerion
21st Nov 2008, 06:29
Ditto- the hangar was the first real turn the story took. And you didn't see it coming. :)

I'm sincerely having mixed feelings about March now. :nut:

Lazarus Ledd
21st Nov 2008, 16:30
What about story of Arturo Perez-Reverte - El Maestro De Esgrima. At least in books it's shown that some things don't change, people don't change.... have the same conditions in any part of the world for crime, betrayal, frauds and they will all tell the same story, only coloured by culturological factors specific for a certain country. Auhor of McMafia spoke how he traveled the world so he could get in contact with crime leaders. In Brasil, people were eager to speak to him, while in Middle East, no one would talk to him. He had to find the right reporters with good connection to the underground...

So you see, just because the sekeleton of the story feels cliche: everyone killed, one surivior, decides not to look the other way back, he's developed a strong and clear character and reasons stand behind his action. He decides to find his own answers to the masacre at the laboratiories, cause he's not that kind of guy to follow the incident thorugh just a few paperclips in the newspapers....he's a guy that questions traditions, so he's questioning the the situation that occured at his working place and takes the action back to the other side of the newly created court we all call Deus Ex 3.

Our lives are cliches, SSDD, but what makes them interesting? Our hometown, our friends, school, jobs, hobbies, culure, love.... See...calling the story cliche is underestimating. It will be coloured by the town's and places we will be visiting, people we'll meet - they'll also be persons with charaters that have their reasons, gimmicks we'll use, the overall immerson.

Even my post area is cliche, but I'm givng it life by writing about cliche? and your opening cliche topic? . The Earth is cliche? My God are you borred??
Deus Ex name is cliche. number 3 is, NEVER SEEN BEFORE! revolution in the series :lol:

The story is Adam Jensen.
The story in DX3 speaks of things in the future, of the future, but certain behaviours never change. Some speak of realistic future of 2027 and what was seen is too futuristic.

Well, future is now. Tommorow never comes. Our past lights up our future. You look inside yourself to see what you WILL do and make out you out of world...

progressor
21st Nov 2008, 18:34
The biggest flaws are the subpar quality of writing overall, it just isn't Bethesda's forte. Talk about cliches on Fallout 3! Father gone missing and good versus bad, brotherhood of steel versus. enclave. Too black & white, suddently BoS is a organization that has lost it's power and turned into a fantasy-like organization.

I totally agree.

Plus, even those cliches were very poorly fleshed out. There was no meat on the bones -- the BoS -vs- Conclave conflict is literally one mission deep. There is no grand, all-out war throughout the wastelands, uniting the divided communities. There is no reconciliation between BoS and the Outcasts.

My main complaint is the shallowness of the quests and their consequences. The quests involve at most two locations, and are usually of "kill X" or "talk X into Y" variety. And, their CONSEQUENCES are not felt in the rest of the game after you're done with them. The world is static. Nothing changes after you've improved something, except the sparse chatter from the GNR radio DJ.

In Deus Ex 3, we should SEE the consequences as we play.

GmanPro
21st Nov 2008, 18:38
Lol, I totally killed three dog during my second playthrough. I just wanted to see what would happen to the radio station.

It was pretty funny, some chick comes on and says stuff like, "normally three dog would come on and say something funny right now, but somebody just had to kill him. Now some more music."

:lol:

dixieflatline
21st Nov 2008, 22:56
Fallout 3 was pretty 'meh' for me.. I felt the game isn't that much of a RPG at all, and stacks up VERY poorly to Fallout 1 and 2, so for me, it is no contest: I think DX3 will be better.

Tracer Tong
21st Nov 2008, 23:03
OK, first of all I'd like to say that Fallout 3 is one of the best games I've ever played. It is really well done and the only people who hate it are the ones who keep comparing it to 1 and 2.

It was very genius of them to extend the Oblivion (TES IV) engine to these dimensions (weapons, locational damage, flying vehicles, dynamic environments, radiation volumes (also dynamic, a.k.a. the Fat Man Effect)), I truly hope that this is what DX3 team does to the TRU Crystal Dynamics engine (and what the DX1 team did to the Unreal Engine)

The world is static. Nothing changes after you've improved something, except the sparse chatter from the GNR radio DJ.

In Deus Ex 3, we should SEE the consequences as we play.

That's why when you finish the MQ the game ends without any possibility to continue.

* Heads on to kill three dog just for laughs * ;)

dixieflatline
21st Nov 2008, 23:17
What's wrong with comparing Fallout 3 to Fallout 1 or 2? That seems logical enough to me.

Do you think we shouldn't compare Deus Ex 3 to Deus Ex 1 or Deus Ex: IW ?

Tracer Tong
21st Nov 2008, 23:46
Let's see, the new Fallout is 3D, entirely different (except from the vault universe) and people keep complaining about it even though it's a great game (really, 10/10)

I'd prefer it if people would stop comparing it then. We've heard all of these points countless times.

SageSavage
22nd Nov 2008, 00:25
Wow, you rate it a 10/10? You mean perfect? I think Fallout 3 actually is one of the best games ever since DX but there really is some room left for further improvements.

piippo
22nd Nov 2008, 01:08
Let's see, the new Fallout is 3D, entirely different (except from the vault universe) and people keep complaining about it even though it's a great game (really, 10/10)

I'd prefer it if people would stop comparing it then. We've heard all of these points countless times.

People have made various good points and valid arguments that aren't tied to Fallout or Fallout 2. But if the game is a 10/10 for you, so be it. I just hope Deus Ex 3 team is more ambitious. What is "vault universe"? I bet you haven't played the first two and then you come and say people shouldn't compare them :nut:

GmanPro
22nd Nov 2008, 02:52
^^
Yeah probably.

People just don't understand turn-based combat anymore. It all goes right over their heads. We live in a truly impatient society...

Tracer Tong
22nd Nov 2008, 10:43
^^, ^^^^

That's correct :rasp:

By the "Vault Universe" I of course mean the war in 2077 and VaultTec... You know, the fallout alternate future course..

I never ever liked turn based combat. I always preferred real-time (that is why I hate WoW, Pokemon series, and so much more). C'mon, who'd let you think how you're going to attack them for 30 seconds? They'll just kick you in the nuts in the meantime :D
Same goes for avoiding attacks.

Icarus AI
22nd Nov 2008, 17:05
I think the writing of Fallout 3 isn't very good, it ain't nearly as bad as in Oblivion, but is still far from good. Also the athmosphere doesn't feel anything like in Fallout or Fallout 2.

There isn't a huge wasteland. You aren't traveling days in a huge post acocalyptic desert to get into a city where people's crops and lifestock are dying because of drought. Originals weren't realistic at all, but they were belivable in their own setting. Fallout 3 just feels weird, most characters just feel very undeveloped and I have no idea how the hell people are surviving.

In terms of athmosphere I think Deus Ex is closer to Fallout and Fallout 2 than Fallout 3.

GmanPro
22nd Nov 2008, 17:44
I never ever liked turn based combat. I always preferred real-time (that is why I hate WoW, Pokemon series, and so much more). C'mon, who'd let you think how you're going to attack them for 30 seconds? They'll just kick you in the nuts in the meantime :D
Same goes for avoiding attacks.

*sigh*

In the past when more games used turn-based combat, the more difficult fights weren't about being quicker on your feet but about careful thinking and planning. Games like Baldur's Gate give you the illusion of real time combat but really they are just rolling the dice and taking turns behind the scenes. In that game you could win almost any fight, regardless of your level, if you just used to appropriate spells. Turn-based combat forces people to think, which is why you see so many people who don't understand it. :mad2:

Jerion
22nd Nov 2008, 17:47
Turn-based combat can be fun, yes. But if the "real-time" combat is well done, it can force you to have to think fast too. :thumbsup:

GmanPro
22nd Nov 2008, 17:53
If by real time combat done well you mean like Baldur's Gate, then yeah. :thumbsup:

sonn
22nd Nov 2008, 23:13
I'll probably have to give fallout3 something close to a 10/10 as well. Not because it was perfect. Far from it, you have the terrible animations, limited radio music, and some weird quest issues(3 dog would say that I just saved Big Town, when in fact, it's been a long time since I'd done that and the mutants have taken over and killed everyone). I give it close to 10/10 because I gave gta4 a close to 10/10 rating and even though it was close to flawless gameplay, I still think fallout3 was a way better game..

I would like to see Deus Ex 3 concentrate on a flawless "consequence of action" system, rather than a wast environment. Fallout had both, but it might have been spread too thin. character development based on consequence of action would most likely give Deus Ex 3 an edge over fallout 3, imo.

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 08:04
Yeah, Fallout 3, like Oblivion, doesn't really have much in the way of replayability. And considering how many times I've played through Deus Ex, DX3 should be much better than Fallout 3. I really hope so :thumbsup:

Romeo
23rd Nov 2008, 08:32
I think, without a doubt, Fallout 3 will sell significantly more copies, so from a business standpoint, F3 with beat DX3. However, gameplay-wise it's hard to tell, especially with a game I haven't played yet. Fallout 3 is fun in it's open-ended shenanegans, whereas Deus Ex has always bound itself to a serious plot, which I find make the two too different to even compare.

jordan_a
23rd Nov 2008, 16:00
I have every confidence in EM making a great game. But why comparing it to other titles? Fallout is great, EM sent them a cake, Bethesda will do the same when DX3 is shipped and that's it.

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 18:57
I wonder what type of cake they will send them? :scratch:

Jerion
23rd Nov 2008, 19:16
Maybe a chocolate cake. :)

Mmmmmm, chocolate...

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 21:49
They should send them a giant cake with a stripper in it. lol :D

--- Chuck Norris once ate a whole cake before his friends could tell him there was a stripper inside.

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Nov 2008, 22:01
My only major gripe with Fallout 3 so far (10h+) is that the world doesn't seem to make sense.

As for being "perfect", I'd say that the case here is similar to Deus Ex. Just about every aspect of the game is flawed somehow and leaves lots of room for improvement, but the game is better than the sum of its parts and overall feels great.

Haven't had this much fun since Bloodlines.

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 22:04
Well to be fair, we don't really know exactly what would happen in the aftermath of a nuclear war. So its more of a what-if scenario, and not really to be taken all that seriously. Just enjoy being able to shoot giant scorpions and don't complain too much.

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Nov 2008, 22:11
I figured that much. It helps that the game is largely a pastiche of post-apocalyptic settings in itself, with large doses of humour here and there ;)

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 22:14
Did you play Fallout 2? That game was full of some great Easter eggs. :thumbsup:

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Nov 2008, 22:19
I never managed to get into 1 and 2 sadly. I realise they're great games, but I just can't get used to the interface. I'll probably try again when I finish 3, already bought a reedition bundle (including Tactics also). I know about some of the easter eggs though, read a lot of reviews and articles. Got to love the bridge encounter.

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 22:21
There are some widescreen mods etc you could get to make it a little easier. Especially if you've got a massive monitor like I do. But seriously, play them. You won't regret it.

Tracer Tong
23rd Nov 2008, 22:23
First of all, GmanPro, I don't like how you think of me as a fool because I don't like strategic planning (rather than FAST strategic planning based on environment, WAR IS NOT CHESS MY FRIEND)

It's not so bad to have a few games in the 10/10 area (you know what? I'll put FO3 in 9.5/10, just for your enjoyment. Yes, DX1 was one of the great, if not the greatest, game I've ever played. Morrowind was also amazing)

Haven't had this much fun since Bloodlines.

Also forgot about VTM:B, you gotta love it! Such a great and memorable game. 10/10 IMHO. I didn't even notice all of the bugs.

One of the greatest things about VTMB is that each clan makes for a whole different game (especially the Malkavian if you know what I mean :p)

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Nov 2008, 22:26
Graphics are not the problem, seriously. I play oldschool stuff all the time. It's the interface. I don't mind turn-based combat either, heck, some of my fondest childhood memories involve playing X-com. But somehow I just can't get used to Fallout's interface.

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 22:27
WAR IS NOT CHESS MY FRIEND)

I beg to differ my friend

-I'd give Fallout 3 a 9/10 just FYI... and prolly about the same for Fallout 1 and 2.

imported_van_HellSing
23rd Nov 2008, 22:27
(especially the Malkavian if you know what I mean :p)

Oh do I! :nut:

SageSavage
25th Nov 2008, 15:32
I know it's somewhat offtopic but I want to spread the good news:

http://kotaku.com/5098590/creation-kit-dlc-hits-fallout-3

Tracer Tong
25th Nov 2008, 21:35
Wha? Construction set?!

*Runs off*

EDIT: *Returns*
Not out yet :( and they called it G.E.C.K. (and finally revealed the true meaning of it, Garden of Eden Creation Kit)

*Runs off in circles*

GmanPro
25th Nov 2008, 21:43
They didn't finally reveal the meaning of it. The G.E.C.K. was from Fallout 2, just throwing that out there. ;)

DLC? Why does Bethesda have to do this to us again? Why can't they just make an actual expansion...

Jerion
25th Nov 2008, 21:45
They didn't finally reveal the meaning of it. The G.E.C.K. was from Fallout 2, just throwing that out there. ;)

DLC? Why does Bethesda have to do this to us again? Why can't they just make an actual expansion...

Because that would require them to do a lot more work. DLC means a smaller project for their Fallout 3 team to do alongside patches.

dixieflatline
25th Nov 2008, 21:55
I think Fallout 3 is pretty good, but I would say it has a great deal of flaws. I'd rate it 8/10 if I was going to review the game. Personally, in my own score book, I give it a 7 /10 -- honestly I haven't even wanted to finish the game because it annoys me more than anything.

Fallout 3's RPG elements are fairly weak compared to Fallout 1 + 2. Fallout 3 is focused much more on combat than the other games, but the combat isn't satisfying, primarily because its far too easy (I mean you can beat the entire Vault security team naked, and with your fists, when you are level 1... it's pretty dumb.) I also prefer the TBS combat in the earlier games to the combat in Fallout 3.

If I wanted a combat focused game, I'd play a FPS, like Far Cry 2, or other games I currently enjoy.

I'm not saying this stuff to start any sort of argument or anything, that's just my personal reaction to the game, which hopefully will be seen as valid as anyone else's.

I also think it it also entirely fair to compare a third game in a series to the prior two games. As I said, it seems like an obvious and logical comparison to make, to me.

If I never played Fallout 1 + 2 and they didn't happen to be, *IMHO* , the best RPGs I ever played in my life of playing computer games, then I'd most definitely see Fallout 3 in a more positive light. But I am incapable of forgetting that I have in fact played them, , and in my mind, Fallout 3 is easily the weakest game in the excellent series....

I can't wait to see all the mods that come out for Fallout 3. I'm stoked. I stopped playing it about 20-25 hours in, after losing interest in it, and deciding to put the game aside for a year in anticipation of bug patches and all the great mods that most certainly come out for it. The mods that came out for Oblivion transformed the game into a sort of 'meh' game for me into one of my favorite games... with tons of mods, Fallout 3 could possibly become the best game in the series for me.

dixieflatline
25th Nov 2008, 22:18
Graphics are not the problem, seriously. I play oldschool stuff all the time. It's the interface. I don't mind turn-based combat either, heck, some of my fondest childhood memories involve playing X-com. But somehow I just can't get used to Fallout's interface.

There are high-resolution patches for Fallout 1+2, if you ever wanted to give them a try.

Of course you can only do so much with a game that is 10 years old...

imported_van_HellSing
26th Nov 2008, 08:46
How many times do I have to say the graphics don't bother me? :rolleyes:

"He doesn't like the first two Fallouts? Oh, he must be a newb graphics whore who hates pixels!"

GmanPro
26th Nov 2008, 09:03
Don't let the first hour of gameplay ruin the experience. Like Deus Ex, the beginning of Fallout 1 and 2 is the weakest time. The experience only improves from them on out. Give it a chance, and wait for the story to grab a hold of you.

I personally loved the interface btw... just takes some getting used to is all.

imported_van_HellSing
26th Nov 2008, 09:06
Already said, will try again after I beat Fallout 3 (which might not be soon, I'm taking my time exploring every nook and cranny and going on sidequests, rarely even touching the main quest)

GmanPro
26th Nov 2008, 09:09
I decided I to put off almost half of the side quests in that game so that I could have something to do in my second play through. Because just like Oblivion, Fallout 3's quests really only offer one solution. When I beat Oblivion I was like - "Oh boy! Now I get to go through all those quests again and do everything differently!" - but alas I quickly realized that it was all the same.

I recommend holding off on at least a few side quests :thumbsup:

SageSavage
26th Nov 2008, 09:27
That's actually a concern I share with you but I guess Vanilla FO3 is good for two playthroughs - good Karma and bad Karma. Nonetheless FO3 offers much more playtime and fun for the money than the majority of all other recent AAA-titles - to be fair.

GmanPro
26th Nov 2008, 09:57
Even so. The only real difference between doing a quest the good karma/bad karma way is how it ends. You'll still go to the same dungeon and talk to the same people but in the end you get to choose if you wanna be good or bad. There's no actual difference there if you ask me.

When you have good karma, the talon company mercs come after you and try to kill you occasionally. When you have bad karma, the regulators come after you and try to kill you occasionally. There's no consequence to being good or bad in that game.

Tracer Tong
26th Nov 2008, 11:08
ǝɯosǝʍɐ
I can type upside down
[/offtopic]

I hated DLC in oblivion. 'twas just another way of squeezing more money from customers...

What are they going to do with MQ finishers like me? I want to continue the game but ended up taking my last save and cheating a "center-on-external-cell" to get out of there...

imported_van_HellSing
26th Nov 2008, 13:19
SDK, my dear friend. If Morrowind and Oblivion are anything to go by, in a few months you'll have tons of free additional quests and even whole campaigns. Possibly a few total conversions (I can perfectly imagine someone using the SDK to create a DX-style game).

imported_van_HellSing
11th Dec 2008, 23:44
It has begun. (http://bethblog.com/index.php/2008/12/11/the-geck-is-here/)

AaronJ
12th Dec 2008, 00:26
I take back my 10/10, and give Fallout 3 a 9. Those damn metro tunnels are pertinent to getting places, but they are just copied/pasted OVER and OVER and OVER again!

jordan_a
12th Dec 2008, 00:31
I played it a little...

Man the moment when you get out of the vault is epic. :p

GmanPro
12th Dec 2008, 08:25
Lol. I did a google fight between Fallout 3 and Deus Ex 3... its not even close. :hmm:

Deus Ex 3 = 1,080,000
Fallout 3 = 26,800,000

Methinks we need another press release to boost the hype kthnx :thumb:

Jerion
12th Dec 2008, 08:46
^^ I think we need one in North America this time...

GmanPro
12th Dec 2008, 15:27
Definitely. :thumbsup:

Enough pandering to Europe EM...

Yargo
12th Dec 2008, 19:02
^^ I think we need one in North America this time...

Definitely. :thumbsup:

Enough pandering to Europe EM...

Agreed!!! I had to wait about a month after PC Zone was released to get my copy!

Please...Please....Please....Please.....:poke:
;)

Jerion
14th Dec 2008, 04:18
If you dropped to 9 just for repeatative areas, keep playing and you'll drop even further.

Some people report to have spent too much time inside the Vault and they get out during night time. Imagine that! WAY to ruin an epic moment.

What Fallout 3 was lacking was environment variety. It had plenty of different areas of the map, yeah, but each area was largely made up of recycled sections of other parts. Oh, and the loathsome invisible walls in the DC ruins killed the sense of free-roaming awesomeness. You had to take long, repetitive, mutant filled metro tunnels (not so bad if you like using spiked knuckles and you have a powerful unarmed skill), instead of just walking over a couple piles of concrete rubble.

Necros
14th Dec 2008, 08:02
I've only started playing with the game about two weeks ago but I love it. Though I can't give a higher rating than 9/10 because of it's flaws. And basically it's "Oblivion with guns", they didn't try too hard to change things. Sure, they added some cool things, a few nice touches here and there but it's really not too different. I'm not saying I have a problem with that because I loved Oblivion but I expected something more.
But I have to admit something, the first part of the game, when you are growing up is awesome, it blew my mind away. It was a lot better then Oblivion's start in the dungeon, even without Captain Pickard. :D And the virtual reality stuff was nice too, though they've already played that card in TES IV, but again, it was done better this time. Man, I can't wait to see TES V, maybe they'll get more things right in that one. :D

^^ A bit like Crysis. Extremely engaging environments, but when you walk through the same area of wilderness for 10 minutes it gets boring after the first playthrough. In that regard, Crytek learned it's lesson with the expansion (Crysis Warhead).
Crytek Hungary made the expansion, not the original team in Germany. ;) I have a feeling their sequel won't be very different from the first Crysis, especially if they are going to make the game multiplatform.

Don't let the first hour of gameplay ruin the experience. Like Deus Ex, the beginning of Fallout 1 and 2 is the weakest time. The experience only improves from them on out. Give it a chance, and wait for the story to grab a hold of you.
:mad2: What the hell? There is nothing wrong with the beginning of Deus Ex, I loved that too, nothing "weak" about it... :rolleyes:

rynn taylor
14th Dec 2008, 08:27
Some people report to have spent too much time inside the Vault and they get out during night time. Imagine that! WAY to ruin an epic moment.

This happened to me on my first time coming out of Vault 101. But because I was planning on playing as a stealthy character, coming out of the vault under the cover of darkness was kind of fitting.

SageSavage
14th Dec 2008, 12:52
:mad2: What the hell? There is nothing wrong with the beginning of Deus Ex, I loved that too, nothing "weak" about it... :rolleyes:
Well, I've recommended DX to some friends and when I asked them a few days later how they liked it, two of them said that they played it for 15 minutes and stopped after that because they didn't like it at all. I've read quite a number of similar posts on the internet over the time. I motivated both of them to continue and give it a second chance - guess what... they loved it when I asked them the next time!

The problem is that they were used to standard-shooters and probably skipped the (not too exciting) tutorial and couldn't make much from the intro so when they play it the first few minutes, they only see a bad looking ego-shooter with a scripted event (Paul). It's not easy to see the enourmous deepness and the insane amount of details if you haven't clicked through all the menues, thought about their meaning and collected a lot of stuff already. I think most people start to really get into DX when they reach the top of the statue or when they enter the UNATCO HQ - when the story kicks in. From there on it grows and grows... The beginning is quite unspectacular and shows little of the game's possibilities. Some people then think that's it and see their prejudices about a game from 2001 confirmed and lose interest. Their loss but who can blame them? Too many games actually are a waste of time and fail to grow.

GmanPro
14th Dec 2008, 22:35
What the hell? There is nothing wrong with the beginning of Deus Ex, I loved that too, nothing "weak" about it...

I loved the beginning level too man, but don't try to deny even for a second that it wasn't the weakest moment of the game.

NK007
14th Dec 2008, 23:25
Well, I've recommended DX to some friends and when I asked them a few days later how they liked it, two of them said that they played it for 15 minutes and stopped after that because they didn't like it at all. I've read quite a number of similar posts on the internet over the time. I motivated both of them to continue and give it a second chance - guess what... they loved it when I asked them the next time!

The problem is that they were used to standard-shooters and probably skipped the (not too exciting) tutorial and couldn't make much from the intro so when they play it the first few minutes, they only see a bad looking ego-shooter with a scripted event (Paul). It's not easy to see the enourmous deepness and the insane amount of details if you haven't clicked through all the menues, thought about their meaning and collected a lot of stuff already. I think most people start to really get into DX when they reach the top of the statue or when they enter the UNATCO HQ - when the story kicks in. From there on it grows and grows... The beginning is quite unspectacular and shows little of the game's possibilities. Some people then think that's it and see their prejudices about a game from 2001 confirmed and lose interest. Their loss but who can blame them? Too many games actually are a waste of time and fail to grow.

That was that moment for me too. Aside for me being surprised that stealth works (I always try to sneak in FPS, even in Doom :\... guess how that usually turns out), and butchering everybody like Dahmer or something, I thought I was gonna have to pop a cap in the NSF leader's ass, so I reloaded my gun, healed myself, and... started talking to him. When he started talking about the Trilateral Commission, the game grabbed me by the throat like no other game, movie or book ever could.

Necros
15th Dec 2008, 02:07
I loved the beginning level too man, but don't try to deny even for a second that it wasn't the weakest moment of the game.
The weakest moment? Maybe, I'm not sure. Anyway, perhaps I like the first level so much because I played through that in the demo a million times before getting the full game. I just loved the fact that I could approach the problems in so many ways, even in that small demo. Talking to the terrorist leader was the biggest moment in the demo, sure, but there were many other cool things before that grabbed me. Small things like that message under the table in the building next to the Unatco HQ. :)