PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no PSP Version of TRU?

Jammet
18th Nov 2008, 00:03
I've been asking myself this question for so long now, and there hasn't been any official word yet. It's still even TBA. There is a DS version and - heck - there even is a version of the game for mobile phones.

Tomb Raider Anniversary was excellent on the PSP, and I absolutely don't see why Tomb Raider Universe shouldn't be sold for the platform as well. Sure, Legends wasn't so hot with the controls, but those issues were rectified with the release of Anniversary already. The engine is still good to go, and with a few modifications could quite possibly be the fast-track to a PSP release. Just porting the PS2 release wouldn't pose that much of a problem, either, I think.

At this point I'm just plain disappointed with the lack of official commentary. A clear Yes or No would be in order.

rg_001100
18th Nov 2008, 00:19
Although "Tomb Raider Universe" would be a cool name for a game (maybe a collection of the Core games?), the latest game is Tomb Raider: Underworld.

No version for the PSP has nothing to do with the limitations of the device - as you pointed out the DS and mobile phones are getting versions. Those versions, however, will be way different to the game that PC, Xbox360 and PS3 players get. They'll be different even to what PS2 & Wii players get.
The PSP game would most likely be a port from the PS2 versions, like the PSP versions of TR:L and TR:A were. The graphics would be cut down further, though, so the PSP could handle it. One would wonder whether it would be worth having on the PSP, then, if the graphics are so bad.

666RockTheWorld666
18th Nov 2008, 09:20
Although "Tomb Raider Universe" would be a cool name for a game (maybe a collection of the Core games?), the latest game is Tomb Raider: Underworld.

No version for the PSP has nothing to do with the limitations of the device - as you pointed out the DS and mobile phones are getting versions. Those versions, however, will be way different to the game that PC, Xbox360 and PS3 players get. They'll be different even to what PS2 & Wii players get.
The PSP game would most likely be a port from the PS2 versions, like the PSP versions of TR:L and TR:A were. The graphics would be cut down further, though, so the PSP could handle it. One would wonder whether it would be worth having on the PSP, then, if the graphics are so bad.

There is already a collection box of the 6 Core games, search Google Images, it's a box with blue flames and 6 squares with the covers of the 6 games, and it's for sale for 10 Euro's (Europe). And it's called Tomb Raider The Collection, (simple name I know). And they even fixed the problem with TR 1 for windows XP, yes the've put a program for it to run it on XP called: Glidos, but why shouldn't we just play a game as we usual do. They better make a better collection of the TR's without the problems. ****

rg_001100
18th Nov 2008, 09:33
There is already a collection box of the 6 Core games, search Google Images, it's a box with blue flames and 6 squares with the covers of the 6 games, and it's for sale for 10 Euro's (Europe). And it's called Tomb Raider The Collection, (simple name I know). And they even fixed the problem with TR 1 for windows XP, yes the've put a program for it to run it on XP called: Glidos, but why shouldn't we just play a game as we usual do. They better make a better collection of the TR's without the problems. ****

I know of this collection, I own one. :) It's for the PC.
I was meaning for PSP, or PS3/Xbox360, etc.
And "why shouldn't we just play a game as we usual do?" TR1's old, not written to run on XP/Vista, but instead on DOS. DOS games generally have problems with running on newer computers. The same thing will probably be happening in another 10 years.

Jammet
18th Nov 2008, 11:17
I must have thought of the new upcoming Stargate Series "Universe" or something, when I was busy typing my initial posting :lol: .

I'm sure it wouldn't look downright ugly when ported over. Some lighting effects might have to go or be replaced with ones that are easier on the hardware, if cheaper looking. No shadows is still fine with me so long as the core game is intact. Remember, the PS2 hardware itself is also a bit dated and only good programming can squeeze more graphics out of it. The PSP is getting it's third generation games by now, I believe there is still quite a bit left in here to squeeze out as well. Generally it's not as powerful as a PS2, but it can keep up for he most part.

So ... yes, a PSP version would have cut down graphics, but -however- still look just as good as the PSP version of Anniversary, and that game is stunningly beautiful considering what platform it's running on. I remember that I was really impressed with how great it looked, considering there is even a small physics engine wedged somewhere in there.

666RockTheWorld666
19th Nov 2008, 10:06
I know of this collection, I own one. :) It's for the PC.
I was meaning for PSP, or PS3/Xbox360, etc.
And "why shouldn't we just play a game as we usual do?" TR1's old, not written to run on XP/Vista, but instead on DOS. DOS games generally have problems with running on newer computers. The same thing will probably be happening in another 10 years.

I agree :)

Jammet
19th Nov 2008, 22:59
Just in case I want to directly contact somebody at Eidos or Crystal Dynamics about a possible PSP version, does anybody here know how it's done? What email to use, for example? I would give it a try and post the result in here.