PDA

View Full Version : Will we be as lucky?

foxberg
14th Nov 2008, 17:39
Sometimes when you promote your ideas consistently and loud enough people would listen. Just read what a difference this one guy made. It's unrelated to gaming but you should get the general idea.

Article (http://fans.nhl.com/members/Ninh/blogs/23911)

zauxz
14th Nov 2008, 17:49
In situations like theese, you fell that the guys in charge are humans too.

I hope that the DX team care about they'r fans. I really really do.

*cough* no auto regen * cough*

GmanPro
14th Nov 2008, 19:05
I think that they probably already have taken some of the ideas circulating around this forum into consideration, and hopefully the good ones will be put into the final product. :thumbsup:

MaxxQ1
15th Nov 2008, 13:07
I think that they probably already have taken some of the ideas circulating around this forum into consideration, and hopefully the good ones will be put into the final product. :thumbsup:

The problem is that in some cases, that sort of thing doesn't always work out too well. One of my favorite military science fiction writers won't post or read a message board for discussion of his books anymore, because he was sued by a fan for stealing an idea used in one of his books (a minor plot-point, I think). The fan lost, but the whole thing left a sour taste in the author's mouth.

The same thing has happened innumerable times with regards to movies, books, inventions, discoveries, and so on. That's why I tend to not participate in "wishbook" threads, and I would hazard to guess that's why so many game developers tend to ignore "player suggestions" for plot devices, modes of play, features to be implemented, etc. The chances of liability are too high for publishers/developers to ignore.

For example, there's a thread where someone came up with alternate names for the mech augs we've seen already. Suppose that he happened to nail every single one of them. The game comes out, it's wildly successful, and all of a sudden, Eidos and Eidos Montreal find themselves on the wrong side of a lawsuit, because the guy decides that since they used HIS ideas for the names of the augs, that he deserves a little slice of the pie. More than likely, he would lose, but the legal costs alone may cause problems for Eidos and EM. Going back up to where I said that he nailed the names of the augs that EM were definitely going to use. Now, they have to scramble to figure out NEW names, just to avoid the aforementioned scenario.

I'd like to think that everybody here wouldn't have a problem with EM using one of their ideas, and wouldn't try to greedy later on, but right now, my opinion of the human race is at an all time low, and I wouldn't be suprised by anything anyone would do.

jd10013
15th Nov 2008, 13:45
I'd like to think that everybody here wouldn't have a problem with EM using one of their ideas, and wouldn't try to greedy later on,

wishful thinking. Suing is now the national pastime in America. everything is now viewed through the prism of potential lawsuits.

Psychomorph
15th Nov 2008, 14:10
Great story!

I see things rather pessimistic in our case, we are not dealing with jerseys (that suck), but with game features that can cost a company millions.

Personally however, I am positive about Eidos and believe they will make a good game.

On the other hand, I hear that the one interview in one of the magazines (that Polish one) says that DX3 is relatively early in developement, which means things can change (and maybe can be changed). I have some suggestions and things to mention (actually even wrote a little .txt file, a year ago!), I guess if I do not try I will never find out if it could eventually have some impact.

Go and try your luck I guess.

spm1138
15th Nov 2008, 15:05
The problem is that in some cases, that sort of thing doesn't always work out too well. One of my favorite military science fiction writers won't post or read a message board for discussion of his books anymore, because he was sued by a fan for stealing an idea used in one of his books (a minor plot-point, I think). The fan lost, but the whole thing left a sour taste in the author's mouth.

It's true. Most games companies will not even look at fan submissions for this very reason.

You should also ask yourself if you'd bother reading your comments if the situations were reversed and you were the developer.

A lot of you have been shrilly and nasally complaining about anything and everything without having any solid data to base your complaints on.

In that article the guy was apparently complaining about an actual jersey, not a possible potential jersey which he'd heard about secondhand and presumed would be a certain way.

So far we've just not had that much information which hasn't prevented some of the denizens of this forum from sperging in the most unattractive fashion.

Check out that painfully stupid thread about aug names for a prime example. It made me mad. It made me mad in my head. On the basis of NOT HAVING a final list of the aug names someone decided to complain about the PRESUMED final aug names.

Then there's the EDGE interview. OK to be fair EDGE themselves didn't help by advertising the interview with the single most inflammatory paragraph. But on the basis of that paragraph you had tens of whinethreads. The whole interview was actually kind of interesting and presented a much more balanced view of what EM were looking at doing. Instead the response here has been something to the effect of "They're making Call of Gears Ex 3 :mad2: ".

Would you listen to a word you were saying or would you just shrug your shoulders and say "Ah well. Clearly if we don't just remake Deus Ex our tiny very vocal minority here on the forums will wail and gnash their teeth but **** em they're not that many sales anyway and they don't have any real ideas to contribute, just whiny rant threads."?

Be honest :rasp:

Torley
15th Nov 2008, 17:53
I remember the first times I read the submission policy of various record labels that said: "We don't accept unsolicited submissions for legal reasons" and I later found out it was because of these flagrant accusations of idea-stealing.

Are any of you into Seth Godin? http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/

He talks a lot about leading the change. In this case, we have a tribe of Deus Ex fans rallying around our shared interests and I've already seen some inspiring examples (like Charlotte's Halloween pumpkin) of going above and beyond to show how much we care.

It's a shame a lot of invented problems in the world make it a more difficult place than it could and should be — that's why I like Creative Commons so much for making sharing simple.

Yerky
15th Nov 2008, 23:01
If the idea was truly outstanding, Eidos could simply contact the person whose idea it was and offer them $20 to implement it into the game. The person would be compensated and Eidos wouldn't have to worry about a lawsuit. Case closed.

GmanPro
16th Nov 2008, 02:15
You would have to be retarded to think they don't read into what is said on this forum. That is the whole reason why it is here in the first place. If they didn't care what we thought, why would they put a forum up?

DXeXodus
17th Nov 2008, 04:19
I can tell you for a fact that they do read this forum. However, as a dev team they have a vision and are going to move forward and take all the steps necessary in realizing that vision. They may implement a few fan ideas here and there but if auto heal is what they want for whichever reason then that is what they will put into the game.

Lets just hope that their reasons are good enough....

GmanPro
17th Nov 2008, 04:21
Lets just hope that their reasons are good enough....

Yes indeed... :)