PDA

View Full Version : Battlestations Community Update - 12/11/08

mycoldman
12th Nov 2008, 11:44
http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/221/battleupdate2smallgd4.png

A new dawn...

It’s an exciting time for Battlestations: Pacific. The follow up to Midway is coming along exceptionally well. We’ve a shiny new website (can you taste it?) on its way, a brand new trailer and there are even a few new faces in the forums - like mine.

I’m mycoldman, Community Manager here at Eidos for Battlestations: Pacific and the guy you should be directing all your love (and hate) towards for the foreseeable. Over the coming months I plan to bring new and exciting Battlestations flavoured ‘ooohs’ and ‘aaaahs’ just for you guys – the heart and soul of the Battlestations Community.

Stuff like this, the first of our BCUs (that’s Battlestations Community Update, should you have to explain it someone less cool) where you’ll find updates about the game and community, perhaps a competition or two, along with a generous helping of insider goodies and treats.

Be sure to give me your feedback when I’m done - about what you’d like to see here, any bright spark ideas you have, or questions. I'm listening.

We’ll damn well finish it

So there’s a brand new BS:P trailer (http://www.battlestations.net/news/?id=17) currently doing the rounds. You may have spotted it (http://www.g4tv.com/xplay) in a few places (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=191428). If not, then I strongly urge you to stop what you’re doing and go take a look. Focusing on the American campaign Trailer 2 ‘The US go to War’ is nothing short of blood pumping-ly awesome.

And for those wondering, all of the scenes shown in the trailer are taken directly from movies in the game, too. Join in the discussion and let us know what you think here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=82208).

Naval surprise

There’s been an awful lot of chatter in our forums lately about the reported existence of Power Ups within Battlestations: Pacific.

“Power Ups, you say? In WWII?? What the...? Not on my watch! Boycott! Boycott! Repent! Run!!” seems to be a fairly accurate approximation of most common responses right now. But don’t panic! There are no Power Ups in Battlestations: Pacific.

None.

Not one.

No floating mushrooms to make your ships bigger or shiny blue orbs upping your speeds into the terra-knots. No matter how cool those things might be in other games, they’re just not right for Battlestations.

What we do have, are Naval Supplies. These grant smaller, specific bonuses to some of your units in the game and/or enable you to ask for things like off-map fire support. Capture an island with an ammunition depot and you’ll gain access to higher quality ammunition, slightly increasing the damage dished by your fleet. Take control of supplies and you might want to call in for an airstrike against an enemy base or ships. There are many different kinds of naval supplies, fully integrated into the heart of BS:P – and all intended to make the game that much more fun.

They don’t change the game into an arcade shooter, or dumb down the experience at all. Instead they increase the options available to the player and add another level to the overall strategy required for victory. Besides, you can freely turn them off in any multiplayer game if you want.

Face it

Like it or not, you probably spend at least a portion of your day on the office-destroying, net phenomenon that is Facebook. Maybe its work, maybe you tell yourself it is. Maybe it’s chatting to friends and uploading embarrassing pictures of them you’ve cruelly managed to score after a heavy night on the tiles... The fact of the matter is you’re on there, just like us, a LOT of the time.

With this in mind, we’ve decided to make our presence a little more productive and have started up a page dedicated to BS:P (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Battlestations-Pacific/34435761938). At last you’re finally able to get your Pacific fix and stay connected with the community without wandering too far from the comforts of endless vampire hugs and poke backs. Zing!

We’ll be adding more and more to the page as we go along, and you may even find one or two exclusives make their way up there at some point. So join up, become a fan, share your thoughts and interact with the rest of us online. It might just be the best thing you do in the next ten minutes.

Monday Night Midway

What better way to ready yourself for Battlestations: Pacific when it drops next year than with some regular Battlestations: Midway action? We know there’s a whole bunch of you out there consistently playing online, we are too... so why don’t we get together?

Starting soon, we’ll be dishing out a little something I like to call *ahem* ‘Monday Night Midway’ An online tournament of sorts- featuring the as-of-yet-unknown-but-ridiculously-brilliant Team Eidos and hopefully many of you. More details to follow, but rest assured we’ll be catering for both PC and 360 players, and there WILL be prizes*. Oh yes, there will.

Stay tuned.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8660/mdfvejc2.jpg

*and whuppass.

ClarenceTheTorpedoGuy
12th Nov 2008, 12:36
What we do have, are Naval Supplies. These grant smaller, specific bonuses to some of your units in the game and/or enable you to ask for things like off-map fire support. Capture an island with an ammunition depot and you’ll gain access to higher quality ammunition, slightly increasing the damage dished by your fleet. Take control of supplies and you might want to call in for an airstrike against an enemy base or ships. There are many different kinds of naval supplies, fully integrated into the heart of BS:P – and all intended to make the game that much more fun

I knew it!
You guys are Goooooooooooood!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm looking forward to the new website coz its kinda sad that these forums have been quite inactive in the past week.:(

And can we have a release date pleaseeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dremora Warlord
12th Nov 2008, 13:17
Thank you for clearing up the power-ups. I too pictured shiny red and blue mushrooms with a little red-hatted man running around... Oh wait, what? :rasp:

I love the idea about Monday-Night-Midway! I wish I could post more but I have to get going to classes! Damn college taking up MY Battlestations time! :P

Arrow
12th Nov 2008, 13:41
Well, this has renewed my faith in Eidos somewhat. The Monday Night Midway idea is awesome, although I think you'll get a lot more people on if it were on Saturday.

Keir
12th Nov 2008, 14:06
:cool:

chip5541
12th Nov 2008, 14:17
I work Monday's so more than likely I will miss the Monday Night Midway but still excellent idea. I give this thread :thumbsup: :thumbsup: way up!

M0n3y
12th Nov 2008, 14:42
no power ups...YEAH!!!:D :D :D

the Naval Supplies thingy looks great :cool:
Keep It Up EIDOS!:D :D :D

It3llig3nc3
12th Nov 2008, 17:05
Well Done!
This is a really great start of the BS:P campaign with lively ideas and lots of promises to get our hopes up. Good job.
I'm really glad that it looks like this game's community finally has an "official" EIDOS host who has the authority and knowledge to release fresh information and take the initiative to walk us through the painful wait time until release date. :D

However, I wouldn't be myself on this forum if I had finished my post here. :cool:

A few things on which I wish to react:

1. Parallel to this game there are some others I keep on my watch list of future releases I must buy. It is inevitable to compare the information and “buzz” generated around them vs. BS:P. One title is Empire: Total War which ventures into the naval war field – however in a completely different time period. Regardless it’s a title that has history (not the first of it’s series), it is slotted for 1Q 2009 release. If you take a look at their website http://www.sega.co.uk/empire/gameinfo/news.php it looks like what is promised for BS:P has already been done for E:TW. It is also worth mentioning that in many official forum and magazine, even in advertisements the exact release date has already been announced: 6th of February 2009.
After all this I really wish that words won’t remain words for BS:P and promises will be kept. There is an awful lot of them in this thread so I really wish a lot of strength and persistence to realize them!
2. As for the power-ups I’m yet to decide if I’m angry or surprised. Why? Since I have a full day of game-play experience under my belt with BS:P (focus group testing) for me MYCOLDMAN statements partly are in great contradiction with what I have seen. Since I’m under NDA whereas he can choose to release facts I can’t really debate. It is also possible that since I have seen the beta the developers have reworked the power ups. Some of the things he said are a match: calling in off map support for example is something I used and sure it is a good thing. Being able to turn on/off power-ups is new to me, however he should know what he is saying. Having power ups such as temporary speed boost for planes or faster ammo recharge are things he denies, however I used them in the beta. Are they out from the game I wonder… time will tell.

Despite all this the fact that this thread exists is a promising step.
1 out of 100 is DONE :D

GO GO EIDOS!

Polarshark
12th Nov 2008, 20:04
tha'ts good news to hear

i like the idea as calling in air support and all of those stuffs

really nice to hear

keep up on the updates

btw i'm also looking forward to E:TW

and what kind of prizes will we expected to get? (the official game of BSP? or some history things of WW2)

tc2324
13th Nov 2008, 07:38
2. As for the power-ups I’m yet to decide if I’m angry or surprised. Why? Since I have a full day of game-play experience under my belt with BS:P (focus group testing) for me MYCOLDMAN statements partly are in great contradiction with what I have seen. Since I’m under NDA whereas he can choose to release facts I can’t really debate. It is also possible that since I have seen the beta the developers have reworked the power ups. Some of the things he said are a match: calling in off map support for example is something I used and sure it is a good thing. Being able to turn on/off power-ups is new to me, however he should know what he is saying. Having power ups such as temporary speed boost for planes or faster ammo recharge are things he denies, however I used them in the beta. Are they out from the game I wonder… time will tell.

Well lets hope that after your day of testing the game someone came to the conclusion that the power ups you used in the test were a bad thing and got rid of them.
Glad to see that others have the same view point as myself regarding the power ups issue so I`m really glad to hear that they are out or at the very least limited. :)

`Mycoldman`, I`m looking forward to the next update from you and complete confirmation that the power up issues as stated above are a no go? Keep BSP pure!

-Incline-
13th Nov 2008, 15:27
All of this is great to hear. Can't wait for more updates.

The Monday Night Midway thing sounds pretty awesome too. I haven't played BS:M in months -- Maybe this'll get me back into it. ;)

japfighter
14th Nov 2008, 02:17
can't wait you got me interested in bs:m again:D

Polarshark
14th Nov 2008, 02:43
any specific TIME on monday? for north american clocks?

and any hints on the prizes?

Dremora Warlord
14th Nov 2008, 03:54
any specific TIME on monday? for north american clocks?

and any hints on the prizes?

I agree, info would be nice in coming updates. I want to know what I'll get for getting off End War and putting in my BSM disk! :p

generyx
14th Nov 2008, 06:50
Great News! Thx a lot!
greetz
t

chip5541
14th Nov 2008, 13:10
I agree, info would be nice in coming updates. I want to know what I'll get for getting off End War and putting in my BSM disk! :p

a better game :rasp:

Dremora Warlord
14th Nov 2008, 14:29
a better game :rasp:

Ah, you so funny :lol:

R&R BC
15th Nov 2008, 01:23
What time in GMT is the "Monday night MW"?

mycoldman
15th Nov 2008, 08:44
What time in GMT is the "Monday night MW"?

It won't be this Monday, but you can expect a megaton of news and fine print regarding MNM very soon - it's going to be awesome.

sstoffels
15th Nov 2008, 15:27
hopefuly we get the multiplayer info we were promised in august in the next update thats what most of us what to know about.:)

It3llig3nc3
15th Nov 2008, 16:03
Apart from the buzz and insights about the game there are two crucial information that really matters for us I believe. Usually these are not any of extraordinary but for EIDOS somehow just impossible to state:

1. Exact Release Date for BS:P for PC and XBOX360
2. Will there be a demo out before release date and is it going to be single or multi player

This is all I want to know... The rest is just marketing to hype up the community.

sstoffels
15th Nov 2008, 16:48
2. Will there be a demo out before release date and is it going to be single or multi player[/B]

they did say the game was in the pre beta state it leads me to assume that the game will have a beta not a demo one thing they should do if they have a beta is let lots of people get it and advertise the beta so they get new people into bsp or else it will just be the same people. i hope it is multiplayer but it would be nice to have a short campaign mission maybe one of the new ijn missions. or a piece of it.:D :D

Polarshark
15th Nov 2008, 16:55
what I really believe they should give news to us is

1.system requirements for PC users
2.more info on multiplayer and additional game modes (skirmish, etc)
3.exact date for release ( not really important to me. we all know it's proabably gonna be like feb or march)
4.the new DLC

and yep that's all (REMEMBER, MY OPINIONS)

YUKIMURA300
16th Nov 2008, 01:12
I have a feeling this MNM is going to flop sadly. It's very hard sometimes to get games together either because of timing or the way the BSM lobbies work.

Well, good luck anyway.

CSF_FatalKontak
16th Nov 2008, 10:44
Hi,

Look out one CSF training.

http://espacepartage.orange.fr/index.php?page=getshared&n_first_conn=1&guid=5BCCA44FCD05FA95E040EA0A6E62150B&auth_method=2

-=)CSF(=-FatalKontak

Arrow
16th Nov 2008, 15:44
I have a feeling this MNM is going to flop sadly. It's very hard sometimes to get games together either because of timing or the way the BSM lobbies work.

Well, good luck anyway.

Even if it fails with BSM it could still work with BSP. And they wouldn't really need to change the title either since you can say that it occurs in the Midway area, or something.

If it would flop, I think it would be a result of lack of available players. That's why I think Saturday night is a better option.

It3llig3nc3
16th Nov 2008, 17:19
If it would flop, I think it would be a result of lack of available players. That's why I think Saturday night is a better option.

I think Monday worth a try. If you consider that usually people work Mon-Fri (well with the assumption of most of them are students), so the Saturday night isn't the best for gaming, as it is the time to party or go out or visit friends, etc...
I would say it is more likely that you find people on-line weekday evenings - students for sure, workers (especially with family) also after the small kids are off to bed :D

Time will tell.

However I'm also worried about BS:M's ability (well inability) to act as an organized multiplayer platform. You would need a "pre-lobby" to sort out and organize players into group of 8, manage map selection and also there is the need for a voice communication platform that anybody can connect to. Something like TeamSpeak with lobby and rooms for the various servers running the games.

Anyways, you can count on me to increase the participant number and also if there is any need for help.

Arrow
16th Nov 2008, 22:41
I'm sure once BSP is out they can add a simple patch that gives a lobby like that. Surely it can't be that hard. I imagine right now they want to focus on BSP, so they're gonna let BSM fall by the wayside, at least for now. As I mentioned previously, I think BSM is a test to see if it garners any support, and BSP is the real deal.

Polarshark
17th Nov 2008, 03:29
time?? on monday??

or else everyone will jsut go like pfffttt i don't care anymore

Mandarax
21st Nov 2008, 18:36
Hey MyColdMan, great intro post, good luck as a community manager, it's tough work!

I know Kier used to visit the grand old Ultimate BSM Community forums (http://bsmcommunity.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=index), and was wondering if you had any plans to do so as well? There's a "To: Eidos" subforum (http://bsmcommunity.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=2) with a lot of well-argued ideas that I think would be worth a glance :)

Edit: I'll be a son of a gun, you've already registered and posted there. Well, never mind then! If you want a laugh, check out Ye Grande Seaplane Brouhaha from this past June, about halfway down in General Discussion.

mycoldman
24th Nov 2008, 11:47
I'll be a son of a gun, you've already registered and posted there. Well, never mind then! If you want a laugh, check out Ye Grande Seaplane Brouhaha from this past June, about halfway down in General Discussion.

Zing!

It3llig3nc3
24th Nov 2008, 21:54
Well, since the initial announcement there is very little that happened around here. But I'll never give up on hope :)

Now that I'm here let me propose a topic for the next update: I would be dieing to know EIDOS' official position on the story I read recently about how EIDOS tried to manage the review score of Tomb Raider Underworld on GameSpot...
Let's hope the same will not happen for BS:P :nut:

Polarshark
26th Nov 2008, 01:12
for some reason

i believe the release is

FEB 02 2009

japfighter
26th Nov 2008, 02:19
hey mycoldman i don't realy know you so hi.

Keir
26th Nov 2008, 12:30
Well, since the initial announcement there is very little that happened around here. But I'll never give up on hope :)

Patience you need, Padawan http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/y/yoda.gif

Now that I'm here let me propose a topic for the next update: I would be dieing to know EIDOS' official position on the story I read recently about how EIDOS tried to manage the review score of Tomb Raider Underworld on GameSpot...
Let's hope the same will not happen for BS:P :nut:

I don't think a TR:U PR update is appropriate for a Battlestations update. The sales department might be interested in the cross-marketing potential but I think we'll stick with Battlestations in this forum :lmao:

Have a read of Barrington Harvey's statement (http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/11/21/eidos-uk-pr-firm-we-are-not-in-the-position-of-telling-reviewers-what-they-can-and-cannot-say/). In particular I'd like to draw your attention to the bit where they talk about the NDA they got from Eidos to pass on to sites such as Gamespot:

"Our original NDA stated that in order to receive an advance copy of the game, reviewers agreed not to post reviews ahead of 5:00pm, Wednesday 19th November 2008. Nothing else. No further obligations whatsoever."

The online embargo was the only condition from Eidos. If you want a chinwag about it drop me a PM because I don't want this thread going off topic :)

Cpt Nevil
26th Nov 2008, 17:32
...great news!! I might see you guys online when you get this Midway Mondays thing going. Thank for keeping us informed, the game look like its coming along nicely. I am looking forward to this title more than any other next year.

It3llig3nc3
26th Nov 2008, 21:01
KEIR, you're right, my issues is off topic here.

I really hope there will be substance about BS:P to talk about here very soon.

Polarshark
26th Nov 2008, 22:15
i really don't know when does MNM start

and people don't know too ( we know it's mondway but what time???)

so i ain't playing midway that much

Keir
27th Nov 2008, 09:55
KEIR, you're right, my issues is off topic here.

I really hope there will be substance about BS:P to talk about here very soon.

There's loads to talk about, but we're not going to spunk all the information now - as much as you'd like us to :)

It3llig3nc3
27th Nov 2008, 11:16
There's loads to talk about, but we're not going to spunk all the information now - as much as you'd like us to :)

Well the pace of the information sharing is an attitude issue - as I wrote about this in another topic. Some publishers think their future customers deserves to know a lot about the upcoming game (see the wealth of information SEGA gives about Empire Total War due to release 6th February, 2009). EIDOS favors last minute and limited info and lots of NDAs.

Theoretically BS:P supposed to be 2-3 months away from launch date.
The only reason I can think of why the release date is not public is because EIDOS has not decided on it. This means one thing: they can not get an estimate on it since the readiness of the game does not allow even a ballpark guess. Which is quite bad news for us. Eh?

Tex Vindictive
27th Nov 2008, 13:02
I would say at this point there is a tentative date, but we the public have not been told yet. In order for software companies or any body else who sells products at stores like Best Buy, Wal Mart, Target etc, must have shelf space ready for their product months in advance. If they don't make their target date to shelf they pay a fine for wasted shelf space. Believe me, someone in Eidos marketing knows.

LORD BLACKFIRE
28th Nov 2008, 00:30

Oh my, he's alive! The Tomb Raider chick finally kicked you to the curb, eh? :rolleyes:

Polarshark
29th Nov 2008, 16:37
Oh my, he's alive! The Tomb Raider chick finally kicked you to the curb, eh? :rolleyes:

yes he's alive

but it's mycoldman from now on

i think keir will just make some small appearances now and then

com345
6th Dec 2008, 09:36
are there any news about "monday night midway"?

because im running out of reasons for playing BSM!

It3llig3nc3
6th Dec 2008, 12:05
Don't get overly excited about the community activities :hmm:

Given the fact that (y)our great great community manager's activity this week was limited to a thread diversion (pushed the discussion off topic) there is not too much to expect.

I got the feeling that somebody told him (mycoldman, keir) that the game is far from being released and the community needs to be calmed down. I guess they got the info wrapped into sheets of NDA's to sign. So they can even say that they can't say. TIE (This Is EIDOS) :D :D :D

I think nothing really going to happen soon.
Just like with BS:M a 'B title launch' protocol will be in effect. some news flash and screenshots / videos a month before release date. demo if we're lucky 3-5 days before product going on sale and THEN they will put the title out for XBOX360 but not PC (explanation will be that they are still working on it due to 'issues') and 3-4 weeks after XBOX360 the PC version will be on sale too.
After that all you need to do is to pay the $69.99 for XBOX360 and $49.99 PC, feel honored that you can play and that's it. Ohh. I almost forget - we should not forget thanking EIDOS to let us finally play it :D :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Polarshark
6th Dec 2008, 17:56
they should at least give us INFORMATION each week

nothing to do right now except work

nothing to keep me going on

monday night midway not happening

forums are practically dead

looks like everything is dead

It3llig3nc3
8th Dec 2008, 20:04
Well, at the time of typing up this post we're 4 days shy from the 1st month anniversary of this thread where great promises were announced.

So far I haven't really seen any subsequent development to that.

To add more fuel to my disappointment the initial announcement caused me a day of work that has no value at all. Why - you might ask. Because I also got excited about the BS:M Monday night event. However given the fact that BS:M does not run on my computer at the moment due to the failure of the ATI Catalyst drivers I decided to create a separate partition, install WinXP and the whole nine yard with all the drivers and stuff PLUS the last working version of the Catalyst (8.6) just to be able to play BS:M when the time comes. (it required a separate partition as with the 8.6 version the other games I play don't run too well since it's an old driver for a relatively new card)

So here I'm making all the efforts for nothing.

EIDOS is behind NDAs. Probably they really have an NDA for not telling they signed an NDA...

And our great great community manager MYCOLDMAN - up till today he has 24, yes twenty four post under his belt on these forums. That's nothing. New community members do more during their first week, not to mention the first month!

What else can be said? I wish the DEV team could choose another publisher for their great game so the title can get the publicity it deserves...

Polarshark
8th Dec 2008, 21:09
Well, at the time of typing up this post we're 4 days shy from the 1st month anniversary of this thread where great promises were announced.

So far I haven't really seen any subsequent development to that.

To add more fuel to my disappointment the initial announcement caused me a day of work that has no value at all. Why - you might ask. Because I also got excited about the BS:M Monday night event. However given the fact that BS:M does not run on my computer at the moment due to the failure of the ATI Catalyst drivers I decided to create a separate partition, install WinXP and the whole nine yard with all the drivers and stuff PLUS the last working version of the Catalyst (8.6) just to be able to play BS:M when the time comes. (it required a separate partition as with the 8.6 version the other games I play don't run too well since it's an old driver for a relatively new card)

So here I'm making all the efforts for nothing.

EIDOS is behind NDAs. Probably they really have an NDA for not telling they signed an NDA...

And our great great community manager MYCOLDMAN - up till today he has 24, yes twenty four post under his belt on these forums. That's nothing. New community members do more during their first week, not to mention the first month!

What else can be said? I wish the DEV team could choose another publisher for their great game so the title can get the publicity it deserves...

u mean like sega? ubisoft? activision? or EA?

chip5541
8th Dec 2008, 21:29
Well, if you have been following this game since HDi and when it was announced through Ubisoft you would know that others have looked at the game and Eidos believed enough in the game. Full marketing builds up the closer it gets to a release date. We still have months to go. At least wait till after Christmas to see what kind of marketing Eidos has planned.

It3llig3nc3
10th Dec 2008, 10:29
It has been exactly one month ago when the great announcement has been made that started this thread.

What happened so far?

The Monday night BS:M event is nowhere. Not even a word from mycoldman about it. What about the prizes?

The BS:P Facebook page? Apart from the fan's comments nothing new there either.

Power-ups discussion - no real arguments or evidence on either side has been presented.

Multiplayer information - nothing new has been released.

Possible release date for BS:P - no clarification, no official statement from EIDOS.

Congratulations! Is this how you build credibility?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

PS: In my post #8 in this thread I said:
After all this I really wish that words won’t remain words for BS:P and promises will be kept. There is an awful lot of them in this thread so I really wish a lot of strength and persistence to realize them!

MyColdMan - how is your strength?

chip5541
10th Dec 2008, 11:23
In stead of badgering people how about we cut mycoldman some slack and give him a chance to get back up to speed. Shortly after his post some things came up. Some times things happen. It does not mean he has not been doing things for us. It just means he was not able to come on here and give everyone an update. There is stuff coming, it just isn't time or ready. Please have a little patience.

mycoldman
10th Dec 2008, 12:30
You have to bear in mind one of my big focuses for BS:P at the moment is launching the new website. It has been delayed a little, as we're trying to make it the best it can possibly be, for now and post game launch. But it's on track and will be hitting browsers very soon. Think days rather than weeks.

Naturally, this has put a hold on many things, but if you think we've nothing ready to release then be ready for some extreme disappointment.

Sadly I've been out of action recently with Bronchitis, but am now back to max strength and in my natural habitat - surrounded by members of the dev team and warm nautical explosions. :) As a heads up, a press event last week revealed multiplayer action to a number of publications, so be on the look out for their articles in the near future.

Relax, hold on to that enthusiasm and expect a bumper BCU this week.

Arrow
10th Dec 2008, 12:49
I can see both sides of the argument - on one hand, Eidos is hiding behind about as much red tape as any kind of government when it comes to BSP details, and MCM hasn't exactly made a whopping number of posts yet. On the other hand, MCM is human, and things happen (as he just said) that prevent him from posting. While completely understandable, I think that you should keep the community up to date as to times you'll be MIA. I think that would satisfy both parties on the "activity" front. The "post" front can only be remedied by MCM himself, so that's really his discretion. As for details, I really wish Eidos would come out from behind their little iron curtain of NDAs.

mycoldman
10th Dec 2008, 14:16
Again, apologies for my disappearance. That's the thing about illness, it kinda blindsides you. Not to mention the fact that in the middle of it all I found myself sat on the deck of HMS Belfast, in the rain, on the Thames, for a BS:P photoshoot. My doctor loved that!

But just because I wasn't on here, doesn't mean I wasn't working on cool stuff for you guys. I can increase my post count, if that's what you'd like, sure. But it's not really about that. I want to give you stuff worth your time more than I want to water down the forums with idle posts.

With regards to NDA's, I can assure you we're not taped up to the nines with them - these are our games after all! But we do have plans that spread beyond the community with regards to some info that have to be respected for the good of all involved.

One step at a time, guys, and the next step is getting the new site up and running. I know it's light at the moment, but you'll clearly see then, that we've a ton of stuff in store for both before and after launch.

It3llig3nc3
10th Dec 2008, 15:58
I feel stupid.
Every time mycoldman comes on board it appears to be that we're (well I speak for myself so myself) are an impatient person who does not appreciate EIDOS' efforts around BS:P communication.

On the other hand I still feel that the information that has been provided so far is completely unbalanced relative to what I believe it should be assuming BS:P will be ready sometimes 1Q 2009. It is not my "out of the blue" expectation but more an experience gained by comparing BS:P's communication with other titles' simiar efforts that are also slotted to be ready in 1Q 2009.

Furthermore no matter who and when speaks from EIDOS the question about declaring a planned release date is always skipped. NOBODY wants to talk about that. Why?

Last but not least. I'm very sorry to hear that MYCOLDMAN was ill. On the other hand I'm surprised to see that while he was ill there was enough strength in him to make a post on 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM in a thread here...? How is that? So is he busy or sick or what?

I'm really bothered by the attitude of EDIOS representatives in these matters. Since I know that the end product is good I can take a lot of ignorance, false accusation and beating but one fact remains a fact: I do not enjoy the ride regardless of the beautiful destination we're heading towards to.
This is EIDOS' responsibility. Period.

Keir
10th Dec 2008, 16:20
I can see both sides of the story really. You guys of course want lots of info (including the basics like release date) to be passed on ASAP but anyone who's worked in the games industry will know things are rarely as simple as they outwardly seem.

It3llig3nc3 - don't feel stupid or anything, we all know you're really passionate but it almost seems like you're trying to give mycoldman a hard time. I guess that isn't your intention but let me emphasise the fact that loads of work goes on behind the scenes - not all of which is going to be discussed on the forums - but you'll see the result of a lot of Mike's work very soon, we hope you like it, I'm sure you'll tell us if you don't :D

Mike has made a start at bringing you guys updates, and there's lots more to come. We'll do our best to keep you up to date on all the latest announcements before they're made :)

We're not going to announce the release date yet. It's not due to an NDA or anything crazy, it's a PR decision that's been taken for a number of reasons. There doesn't seem much point in constantly bringing it up and having a go at mycoldman, he'll make sure you guys are the first to hear it as and when (although people are on the right track anyway).

Your thoughts and feedback are always welcome of course, and if you have any constructive suggestions for community initiatives then please do drop me or mycoldman a PM about it :thumbsup:

Oh... and I just had a look at mycoldman's post count and he's averaging about 25 million posts a day ;) :whistle:

tc2324
10th Dec 2008, 16:37
By nature I too am an impatient person but one thing I have learned in life is that when it comes to release dates the game will be released when its released. No point getting high blood pressure over something I cant control.

To all you blokes `in the know`, keep up the good work and update us mere mortals when you can.

It3llig3nc3
10th Dec 2008, 17:29
Thanks for responding :)

Of course I'm passionate about this project. I might be one of the very few people who were waiting for a title like BS:M and BS:P for a very long time. Let me prove it, CHIP is going to be able to confirm this since he knows the Amiga scene.
Ever since I started to play on PC I was looking for the action/strategy blended war game placed on seas and oceans. This is because I had Amiga before and I played Carrier Command.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_Command
Many concepts of BS:M and even more that are still under wrap but I know some of them in BS:P are similar to that game. Very few games were put on the market since the '80s that had these and were enjoyable. BS:M with it's know flaws was a brilliant exception. This is why I like it so much. For me, this title and what BS:P is promised to be is a kind of "Lost Gaming Paradise".

About MYCOLDMAN - well I have to agree that it looks like I'm giving a hard time for him. I admit that. I'll try to take back from it. The only reason I was doing it because I felt inconsistency in his actions vs. explanations.
He is really a great communicator and I really enjoy reading his posts. I truly hope that he will be able to grow into the challenge and lead us in this journey.

About the release date: I'm not going to comment on it any more. I seems that EIDOS has chosen the path and that's a done deal.
The reason I was pushing a resolution about this is that I can't exclude the possibility of the launch being delayed indefinitely. Not because EIDOS wants to but because of the circumstances around us in these days. Yes I'm talking about the Economical Crisis. No company and person can escape it's effects and if EIDOS has limited financial resources it will have to choose where to spend them on the short term. If there are stronger titles (=more chance to higher sales) than BS:P it can be a sound financial reason to put the project on hold.

chip5541
10th Dec 2008, 17:40
Confirmed. BTW. I still have my Amiga version and box :D

and unless the super-collider creates a black hole that sucks up the earth, I have no doubt BS:P will get released.

Keir
10th Dec 2008, 18:18
Oh OK, I understand. Well BS:P isn't on hold or threatened by anything. Loads of people are on the money regarding the release date, our lack of announcement is just a convoluted academic formality. We should point out that Pacific makes up a key part of Eidos' schedule next year and it will be coming out and blowing everyone out the water so don't fret. Rumours about a BS:P Amiga release are unconfirmed however.

I think there is only one way to sort this out...

THE INAUGURAL MONDAY NIGHT MIDWAY
http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/s/spotlight-left.gif mycoldman vs. It3llig3nc3 http://e.deviantart.com/emoticons/s/spotlight-right.gif

HISTORY BECKONS!

:D

chip5541
10th Dec 2008, 18:20
We taking bets?:D

Arrow
10th Dec 2008, 19:34
We should totally have spectators. Pick a map with carriers, and give the CVs away to the players. Then we can spectate.

chip5541
10th Dec 2008, 20:02
I think Spectate should be a must.

Arrow
10th Dec 2008, 21:21
Unfortunately BSM doesn't have a spectator feature...>.>

It3llig3nc3
10th Dec 2008, 22:00
I'm more than willing to step up to the challenge.
I only have one "little" condition:

The match should be done on BS:P.

Polarshark
10th Dec 2008, 22:10
so you're going to have 2 COPIES of BSP?

if u win?

sounds weird

for chip sounds normal

beer is endless

Yamamoto666
11th Dec 2008, 01:02
Battlestations: Midway was but a taste of the true potential of Eidos and its game creating strength. with the help from the community created by BSM we the people, gamers, will and have shaped up the future for BSP. Eidos is not slow at anything, the people behind the game are taking in our best suggestions, skirmish, new vehicles, and all that and more. making a game takes time, making a great game, like BSP takes more time. I encourage people to be patient about the release date, ive heard many, but when the time has come we will know. I am looking forward to it, whether it be january feb, or even march, the release date might not be secured but there is one thing, this game is going to hit stores. Personally i think BSM is little compared to BSP, from what i have heard and read, but still midway is fun. Edios is working hard to make a game, they are going to damn well finish it. :D stop complaining...dont complain, just wonder. Edios just deserves credit for what it has accomplished so far. great job ppl of edios. i look forward to as many updates as can be humanly possible updated. lol :thumb:

M0n3y
11th Dec 2008, 09:39
Oh... and I just had a look at mycoldman's post count and he's averaging about 25 million posts a day ;) :whistle:

i wish i could do that:cool:

We taking bets?:D

if i see what mycoldman can do with his post count, i don't wanna know what he can do on BSM :D

I think Spectate should be a must.

same here, bhut it's easy to spy on another team and give their positions to the other team...so EIDOS, a new job ;)

It3llig3nc3
11th Dec 2008, 11:53
so you're going to have 2 COPIES of BSP?

if u win?

sounds weird

for chip sounds normal

beer is endless

There are two different businesses here:

1. Bet on the BS:P release date - vs. chip
2. A shootout vs. mycoldman

For #1 I proposed beer vs. a free copy of BS:P
For #2 it is a more serious dealing. From what I have seen about mycoldman he seems to be close to the DEVs therefore I assume he can be a pretty strong player. Bets here must be high :D
Something like I can get a meeting with the EIDOS CEO in London? :D

Arrow
11th Dec 2008, 21:57
From what I have seen about mycoldman he seems to be close to the DEVs therefore I assume he can be a pretty strong player.

It's true that they're close to the devs, but just because they're close doesn't mean they're ridiculously good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEGlAdzF-c&NR=1) (that said, they're probably better than your average BSM player!)

Mike_B
12th Dec 2008, 09:58
Well if it's any reference I once played a match against Eidos (different game, it was Praetorians) and it didn't took them long to win :whistle:

M0n3y
12th Dec 2008, 10:02
Well if it's any reference I once played a match against Eidos (different game, it was Praetorians) and it didn't took them long to win :whistle:
finally a word from my fav mod :cool:
guess why...:cool:

Polarshark
14th Dec 2008, 16:20
finally a word from my fav mod :cool:
guess why...:cool:

cause you're both from belgium????

LORD BLACKFIRE
14th Dec 2008, 19:18
It's true that they're close to the devs, but just because they're close doesn't mean they're ridiculously good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiEGlAdzF-c&NR=1) (that said, they're probably better than your average BSM player!)

Hmmm . . . that makes me think. I've never seen a BS: M developer on Xbox Live, at least not identified by developer or studio name. Devs of other games do get on Live under their company's name and play the fans sometimes but I've been playing BS:M since the demo came out and I don't recall seeing a developmer or PR person playing. I guess they stick to the PC version.

Arrow
14th Dec 2008, 19:37
I haven't seen a dev play in PC BSM either.

M0n3y
15th Dec 2008, 11:02
cause you're both from belgium????

how could you know that:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
lol idd :)

Polarshark
18th Dec 2008, 22:56
weird

thought they said an update was coming up after the forum went back up

kinda long

billyfromhill
19th Dec 2008, 05:35
weird

thought they said an update was coming up after the forum went back up

kinda long
Yeah well, Eidos has continually dropped the ball when it's comes to BSM. This would be no exception.

Arrow
19th Dec 2008, 06:51
I'll keep praying anyway.

barrybarfly
19th Dec 2008, 16:14
Is there any chance of a release date for the release date ( in the spirit of compromise! :) ) ?

Yamamoto666
19th Dec 2008, 17:26
hahaha, yeap, would like one of those too thanks

Cpt.sharp
21st Dec 2008, 12:51
wishfull thinking?

I hope not.

barrybarfly
23rd Dec 2008, 14:14
At least we have a new video to keep us entertained......
http://uk.media.xbox360.ign.com/media/897/897209/vids_1.html

Arrow
23rd Dec 2008, 20:24
Already got that one on my YouTube.

barrybarfly
24th Dec 2008, 02:23
Looks absolutely fantastic. If only we knew how long we had to wait to play it!!! Is there a reason why they wont tell us when they are announcing a release date?

Polarshark
27th Dec 2008, 20:35
wow

this forum really is dead
i'm tired of waiting for new info

i'm just gonna focus on GT5 from now on

It3llig3nc3
30th Dec 2008, 12:57
The forum is dead but not because there are no fans around. It's because there is no info share.

Two points for today:

1. My favorite comparison to BS:P is Empire: Total War. (it’s a naval war product, also scheduled 1Q 2009 launch, not a 1st release but part of a series)
The game had a release date Feb 6th, 2009. Before Xmas it was announced that it will be postponed by a month. Since the DEVs there share an awful lot of information about the game, it had reviews in press (both printed and on-line) I’m kinda OK with that. I feel informed, I know a lot about the product and I believe that they are working towards the objective. Furthermore together with the delay there was an announcement that the extra time provides opportunity to implement an additional feature into the game. Furthermore the new function will have an "open" beta test. Isn't it a very nice package following the classical communication rule as how to present bad news? (put it between two good ones)
I say this is how you do marketing & communication. Do they remain credible to me? Absolutely yes! EIDOS is nowhere near this level.
Link: http://www.sega.co.uk/empire/gameinfo/news.php?n=2775

2. Global EIDOS Forum. To demonstrate the EIDOS mindset of a new title launch, try to access the Battlestations forum through the Global EIDOS site. (www.eidosinteractive.com). If you go to the main forum page you see sections like “Upcoming Games”, “Current Games” etc… Guess where is Battlestations: Pacific. At first look it is NOWHERE. There is a “Current Game” section in which you can find Battlestations and inside that you have Battlestations: Pacific (and Midway).
So here is a company gearing up for a release in the next few months (at least this is what they say) and they do not even “advertise” the upcoming game on their own website by placing it to the top of the page amongst the “Upcoming titles”! How is this possible? It’s a tiny minor thing but shows a lot about how EIDOS sees things. It does not cost a penny to fix it, they just do not do it. Why? Because I’m afraid they simply under estimate the importance of communication and marketing in selling a product. And then they get surprised by the financial result… Time to wake up!

chip5541
30th Dec 2008, 14:27
My guess is wait till next Monday after the Holidays and I think we should start seeing some stuff.

It3llig3nc3
30th Dec 2008, 15:47
My guess is wait till next Monday after the Holidays and I think we should start seeing some stuff.

Very forgiving. We did not even get a "Merry Xmas" wish from EIDOS. Other publishers were kind enough to post their best wishes to the community on the 25th of December. Small thing but shows who value future customers and who does not...

Polarshark
31st Dec 2008, 01:33
The forum is dead but not because there are no fans around. It's because there is no info share.

Two points for today:

1. My favorite comparison to BS:P is Empire: Total War. (it’s a naval war product, also scheduled 1Q 2009 launch, not a 1st release but part of a series)
The game had a release date Feb 6th, 2009. Before Xmas it was announced that it will be postponed by a month. Since the DEVs there share an awful lot of information about the game, it had reviews in press (both printed and on-line) I’m kinda OK with that. I feel informed, I know a lot about the product and I believe that they are working towards the objective. Furthermore together with the delay there was an announcement that the extra time provides opportunity to implement an additional feature into the game. Furthermore the new function will have an "open" beta test. Isn't it a very nice package following the classical communication rule as how to present bad news? (put it between two good ones)
I say this is how you do marketing & communication. Do they remain credible to me? Absolutely yes! EIDOS is nowhere near this level.
Link: http://www.sega.co.uk/empire/gameinfo/news.php?n=2775

2. Global EIDOS Forum. To demonstrate the EIDOS mindset of a new title launch, try to access the Battlestations forum through the Global EIDOS site. (www.eidosinteractive.com). If you go to the main forum page you see sections like “Upcoming Games”, “Current Games” etc… Guess where is Battlestations: Pacific. At first look it is NOWHERE. There is a “Current Game” section in which you can find Battlestations and inside that you have Battlestations: Pacific (and Midway).
So here is a company gearing up for a release in the next few months (at least this is what they say) and they do not even “advertise” the upcoming game on their own website by placing it to the top of the page amongst the “Upcoming titles”! How is this possible? It’s a tiny minor thing but shows a lot about how EIDOS sees things. It does not cost a penny to fix it, they just do not do it. Why? Because I’m afraid they simply under estimate the importance of communication and marketing in selling a product. And then they get surprised by the financial result… Time to wake up!

you're getting that game?
me too

but i gotta say myoldman didn't give us anything for like 2 weeks or something after the forums came back online and the epic trailer is nothing to me, it's basically covering the same info we already know

by the way chip

u know when we might get info on system requirements?

It3llig3nc3
31st Dec 2008, 09:08
Hey, of course I'm going to get Empire: Total War. It is much more on the strategic side than BS:P but I'm very much interested in that type of games and also looking forward to try sea battles with ships from the sailing age.

The continuous question about the system requirements made me check the Empire: Total War forum to see what has been made public there. Hmmm. There is a sticky thread "Facts on Empire: Total War" in it's forum managed by the forum admin pulling all the key information together. Schoolbook example of proper forum management. (http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/38653)
Here at BS:P we can just dream about such an organized "official" presence.

Well that's all for me in this thread for 2008.

Happy New Year Everyone. See you in 2009 :D

Mike_B
31st Dec 2008, 10:05
Very forgiving. We did not even get a "Merry Xmas" wish from EIDOS. Other publishers were kind enough to post their best wishes to the community on the 25th of December. Small thing but shows who value future customers and who does not...

They were posted right here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=84314) granted, not specifically to the Battlestations community but rather to the whole community.

chip5541
31st Dec 2008, 13:18
yup. I even posted a Merry Christmas to everyone as well. :rasp:

dark_angel_7
31st Dec 2008, 14:53
I agree, a Mod should notify the Admins to add a section to the main forum at the top to include BSP in the 'Upcoming Games' bit. Its silly not to have it. Really silly.

It3llig3nc3
31st Dec 2008, 15:25
Ehh. Looks like @m and @chip does not really understand what I was talking about. Here is the example. This is what you get when you arrive to the HOME PAGE of the Empire: Total War game. The best wishes are not hidden in formus and general places - it is the first thing you find when you arrive to the game's site. This is what I'm talking about. Still state of denial from EIDOS... :wave:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/377/etwnq5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/etwnq5.jpg/1/w800.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img201/etwnq5.jpg/1/)

Polarshark
31st Dec 2008, 16:16
wow specs for E:TW really are low even for a awesome graphic game(minimum)

hopefully BS:P will be the same

hopefully BSP will release near feb since lots of sites stated that it'll release in feb

wow and evenn a tool for modders interesting
so people don't harass the programmers