PDA

View Full Version : BOSS fights

mook333
11th Nov 2008, 23:14
In the first dx there really was no bosses except for those mech-augs which could be killed by 1 rocket, but in 3 will there be more conventional video game bosses like, say a giant killer toaster?

dixieflatline
11th Nov 2008, 23:17
Yes, the dev's confirmed that there will be giant cyborg toasters in the game. There was that leaked pic of the boss of 'em, Lord Crust, fighting Adam. I thought the boss saying "You're toast!" was a bit much, myself.

spm1138
11th Nov 2008, 23:25
"I'll Make Marmalade Of You, Jensen!"

dixieflatline
11th Nov 2008, 23:33
LoL! I sincerely found that really funny.

Then Jensen radio's back to base immediately: "HQ - HQ ! I need some back up! I'm in a serious jam here !"

me.exe
12th Nov 2008, 00:18
They'll be following the same basic formula as the first game; to kill the cyber-toaster, go to the wall and pull his "kill-plug".

Blade_hunter
12th Nov 2008, 01:26
lol the attack of the mysterious giant cyber toaster

No but I think they will made a cyber scarface duke nukem with a minigun on its arm

http://www.nofrag.com/images/003dd4.jpg

look at that :D

3nails4you
12th Nov 2008, 03:41
How embarrassing would it be to have to admit that you were beaten by a souped up "Brave Little Toaster"?

And you know that boss fight location from the pics does look like a place where you might have a showdown with a touchlamp or something.

Lazarus Ledd
12th Nov 2008, 09:52

As a toster with an AI, I have a question for you.

"Would you like a toast?" :lol: (reddwarf)

René
12th Nov 2008, 22:36
I think we've kinda discussed this point, but here we go...

Deus Ex 1 had boss fights. Walton Simons, Gunther Hermann, etc. They just weren't the Zelda "hit the boss in the eye three times to kill it" kind of boss fight, and neither is Deus Ex 3's.

me.exe
12th Nov 2008, 23:05
Rene shoots down giant toaster concept, nascent game community destroyed.

dixieflatline
12th Nov 2008, 23:47
Way to go Rene. Way to indiscriminately shoot down ideas. :rasp:

Jerion
13th Nov 2008, 00:11
Nuts. I thought the evil cyborg toaster boss idea was cool. You would have to kill it's toast-shooting weapon with an ally using peanut butter & jelly cannons.

http://sluggy.com/images/comics/081109fcb.jpg

René
13th Nov 2008, 03:28
I can't condone the killing of toasters. Look at how sad they already are!

http://www.freewebs.com/quadrebelforce/Cylon-731911.jpg

3nails4you
13th Nov 2008, 03:37
This cyborg-toaster concept seems RIPE for a spin-off series. Perhaps a tiny warrior type game? One where a war is waged between different household items and one hero must choose a side in the epic battle for complete domestic domination, and a battle-field type capture system for each room. Man, this actually sounds like a good game! DIBS!:rasp:

K^2
13th Nov 2008, 05:08
They just weren't the Zelda "hit the boss in the eye three times to kill it" kind of boss fight, and neither is Deus Ex 3's.
See, I think DX was missing one or two of these. Even Half-Life did the "Shoot boss in the eye." routine. In a game like Deus Ex, that is an RPG trapped in the FPS body, such a battle, done with a little bit of humor, would feel right at home.

Jerion
13th Nov 2008, 09:46
See, I think DX was missing one or two of these. Even Half-Life did the "Shoot boss in the eye." routine. In a game like Deus Ex, that is an RPG trapped in the FPS body, such a battle, done with a little bit of humor, would feel right at home.

Yeah, tell me about it. I always thought it was odd that we couldn't just disable the four blue fusion devices and then destroy the various connections bridging Page and the nanotech infusion chamber. :scratch: I mean, wouldn't it just be a little more satisfying to break him free of the machine, and then execute him with a GEP rocket?

This cyborg-toaster concept seems RIPE for a spin-off series. Perhaps a tiny warrior type game? One where a war is waged between different household items and one hero must choose a side in the epic battle for complete domestic domination, and a battle-field type capture system for each room. Man, this actually sounds like a good game! DIBS!:rasp:

When I've finished making Kastle of Freedom (which should be by the end of the year), I think I'll set about making this game a reality! :D

3nails4you
13th Nov 2008, 13:41
Well, you could, except I called dibs. However, for a cut of the profits I will give you the rights :D

Jerion
13th Nov 2008, 13:48
Well, you could, except I called dibs. However, for a cut of the profits I will give you the rights :D

You get 20%. Deal? :D

3nails4you
13th Nov 2008, 15:24
23%, as well as my name in the credits and animation rights for any spin-off television shows. Also, if we make t-shirts, I want one in a medium.

Jerion
13th Nov 2008, 17:11
23%, as well as my name in the credits and animation rights for any spin-off television shows. Also, if we make t-shirts, I want one in a medium.

Done and Done.

Ritter
13th Nov 2008, 17:21
Hope there'll be some way to avoid boss confrontation like in Deus ex 1(yes you can avoid Anna,it's just a bit hard to pull off without cheating)

GmanPro
13th Nov 2008, 18:32
I always killed Anna on the plane. But I do remember one time when I didn't.

That was awesome. I think I remember the scene... I used some ventilation shafts to avoid confrontation, but they were all waiting for me at the surface anyway.

I always gave up at that point because I really loved the MJ12 lab level and I wanted to get to that point quicker.

jd10013
15th Nov 2008, 03:09
Hope there'll be some way to avoid boss confrontation like in Deus ex 1(yes you can avoid Anna,it's just a bit hard to pull off without cheating)

Are you sure about that? I thought Alex wouldn't give you the key till she was dead. I know with Simmons and Herman you could do enough damage that they'd run off, but Alex always seemed to know if Anna was still alive or now. regardless if she was hiding in a bathroom somewhere.

Pete278
15th Nov 2008, 03:14
Are you sure about that? I thought Alex wouldn't give you the key till she was dead. I know with Simmons and Herman you could do enough damage that they'd run off, but Alex always seemed to know if Anna was still alive or now. regardless if she was hiding in a bathroom somewhere.

You get her to run through the door, so she unlocks it, and you follow.

jd10013
15th Nov 2008, 03:33
ahhh yes. now i remember. I remember getting through key required doors in area 51 the same way.

K^2
15th Nov 2008, 07:43
You get her to run through the door, so she unlocks it, and you follow.
While it is a nifty way of completing the task, it's hardly avoiding the Boss fight, no?

Jerion
15th Nov 2008, 09:33
While it is a nifty way of completing the task, it's hardly avoiding the Boss fight, no?

Avoiding the boss kill, maybe. :)

Thats one of the nifty things about DX. you couldn't really avoid any of the confrontations, but it was possible to procede past most of them without actually killing the enemy.

jd10013
15th Nov 2008, 11:56
Avoiding the boss kill, maybe. :)

Thats one of the nifty things about DX. you couldn't really avoid any of the confrontations, but it was possible to procede past most of them without actually killing the enemy.

and finding out, most times by accident, stuff like that is what made that game so great. It just wasn't the same in IW when you knew all your options up front. Aside from the 3 or 4 hidden "special" weapons there wasn't really anything to discover, or special ways to do anything. the entire game was spoon fed to you.

Lilith
11th Jan 2009, 19:18

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=2R0ylN-UwKs

-giggle-

I sense a lawsuit, kgo.

Lilith
11th Jan 2009, 19:21
Joking aside.

Deus Ex, not a 'boss' game really.

Mechanics like Zelda are for games like Zelda that are specific skill induced. I think if you're going to open up boss fights beyond an encounter that can end in about 5 seconds if you jump the tracks and hit the switch
Then you REALLY need to look at Metal Gear Solid, and more deeply 4.

Because you need a boss with character traits, that is important. I think though, you REALLY need the Deus Ex twist, you get to know whom you fight pretty damn well almost all the time. And speak with the bosses a lot. That needs, NEEDS, to stay. Please! JC's active presence in the world was brilliant, keep it like that.

Ghostface
11th Jan 2009, 19:53
The boss fights in DX1 where hugely lacking

You shouldn't have been able to kill Simons with rockets. He was ridiculously easy to beat for a boss. I thought he would be hard.

Walton Simons was a nanoaug. In the mj12 lab i found some info on him that said he had active defense system among other augs. Yet when i fired a rocket at him, he was out. He didn't use any nano augs whatsoever and he never cloaked until he ran away. He should immediately cloak as soon as you pull out the sniper rifle and used his speed aug to make him harder to hit. Simons would have been a challenge if he also regenerated from attacks just like JC.

All he was, was a grunt with more health and ammo.

Ghostface
11th Jan 2009, 19:55
I think we've kinda discussed this point, but here we go...

Deus Ex 1 had boss fights. Walton Simons, Gunther Hermann, etc. They just weren't the Zelda "hit the boss in the eye three times to kill it" kind of boss fight, and neither is Deus Ex 3's.

Will bosses at least be able to use their augs?

Lilith
11th Jan 2009, 19:57
The boss fights in DX1 where hugely lacking

You shouldn't have been able to kill Simons with rockets. He was ridiculously easy to beat for a boss. I thought he would be hard.

Walton Simons was a nanoaug. In the mj12 lab i found some info on him that said he had active defense system among other augs. Yet when i fired a rocket at him, he was out. He didn't use any nano augs whatsoever and he never cloaked until he ran away. He should immediately cloak as soon as you pull out the sniper rifle and used his speed aug to make him harder to hit. Simons would have been a challenge if he also regenerated from attacks just like JC.

All he was, was a grunt with more health and ammo.

Agreed in part, I never really used the GEP gun >>

"Bravery is not a function of firepower"

So I always looked for a work around, on realistic Simons is a mother****er. Not a cake walk at all, he starts. Or did for me what I'd say was too close for a GEP shot.

Anna was too damn easy if you were topped up and ready for it. Gunther however, on realistic again, depends on what you're using. GEPing him wasn't easy I'd guess cause how close he stands.

This is all considering realistic which is the only way to play! :P

Jerion
11th Jan 2009, 19:57
@ Ghostface:

Augs like what? Force powers? Simons used his defensive shield aug, whatever it was called, that protected him from flame, gas, and plasma.

Yeah, it was lacking, but you can chalk that up to weak AI.

Lilith
11th Jan 2009, 19:58
Will bosses at least be able to use their augs?

They did in DX1.

Notice the blue you see pop up around them and even MiB thats the anti-ballistic addon. And Simons does cloak if he gets time as well as he is totally flame retardant and takes small damage from plasma.

Larington
12th Jan 2009, 00:49
I'd say the AI was probably a bit lacking though partially because of less than perfect design. In the real world, if someone fires a rocket at you your likely to at least try and dive for cover, whereas in DX1 simons is more likely to be just standing there, strafing or running right towards you if he hasn't started the dialogue sequence (Which is followed by him turning his augs on).

AaronJ
12th Jan 2009, 20:43

No but I think they will made a cyber scarface duke nukem with a minigun on its arm

http://www.nofrag.com/images/003dd4.jpg

look at that :D

I still hate seeing this ridiculous ****er.