PDA

View Full Version : Give it a chance

Azdak
9th Nov 2008, 22:40
Is it just me or is this game getting an extreme bashing on this forum by so called 'fans' of dx.

Give EM a chance they are not intentionally out to make a bad game and i have every coinfidence in that they will make a great addition to the dx series. Im sick of hearing fanboys complain that the game is being made by a bunch of ppl who don't know anything about the dx series. Every decision EM make will be in the context 'will this feature be enjoyable' and i bet the EM team have tore both dx games apart to find out what makes a dx game.

Why don't you ask yourself what makes a dx game? is it the freedom the game give the player or is it the ammo each gun uses? bit of a no brainer imo.

Who really cares about the details? i bet most of the IW would have loved IW if it had have been just called IW and not Deus Ex: IW....

Can everyone please start to give this game a chance :)

Jerion
9th Nov 2008, 23:36
People don't complain about the whole thing, just some essential points, and with good reason. And I wouldn't call it "extreme bashing by so called fans", there's a logical consensus.

I would think carefully before saying that- I've seen a lot of highly illogical bashing by fans. :D

"Will this feature be enjoyable" Can you elaborate? I'm sure Ion Storm were very proud of themselves while inventing Universal Ammo and other freakshows. They thought will this be enjoyable, but SURPRISE! they were wrong. Hence people's remarks to EM before it's too late.

I'm fairly certain that EM heard the cries in the first 200 posts against the handful of features mentioned. ;)

But what is "freedom" if you dump all aspects of the game to provide it?

They haven't dumped much of anything, except telling us accurate details about the game's development.

Who really cares about the details??? Are you sure you're posting in the right section? This is not your stereotypical weekend shooter. This is Deus Ex.

Hmm. Considering the big banner at the top of the forum, I would have to agree that yes, this is Deus Ex. :D

Deal. The devs first.:D
Rene, give us the Dev Blog. ;)

spm1138
9th Nov 2008, 23:44
Well to be fair Deus Ex was kind of a high point for ... whatever genre it was (that's one of the reasons it's a high point).

I can understand why people get wound up.

Also this is the internet. Nobody likes anything on the internet. If people care enough to post it's often because they're gnashing their teeth together with unbridled nerdrage.

Bluey71
10th Nov 2008, 01:16
Who really cares about the details? i bet most of the IW would have loved IW if it had have been just called IW and not Deus Ex: IW....

Can everyone please start to give this game a chance :)

Yes you're absolutely right.

But thats the whole point isnt it - we dont want another DX game that isnt DX, we want a DX game this time.

I suggest you read through some of the magazine articles again. Look at the list of features planned for the game, and ask yourself if they really belong in a DX game.

Change is one thing, but breaking the game to such a point, where it becomes something too different from the original,just to open Deus Ex to new players is a contradiction. Afterall, the reason most of us are here is because of what the first game was.

GmanPro
10th Nov 2008, 07:15
Also this is the internet. Nobody likes anything on the internet.

:lol: That's so true...

mouse
10th Nov 2008, 07:31
beware the raging nerds :D

I checked out NMA when FO3 was announced. The hostilities grew with every piece of information, those nerds seemed to wallow in it

I see a similar trend in this forum, but I think that we dont have reached the critical mass of raging neds yet ****

GmanPro
10th Nov 2008, 07:33
It sounds eerily like George Lucas syndrome here all over again.

The fans were upset with episode 1 for being too childish, but even with their complaints, Lucas went ahead and made the next one just as childish and stupid. A lot of people thought that the third one was the best of the new ones, and I'd have to agree, but it was still on the same childish and dumb vain as the others.:(

I really hope that DX3 is awesome. I really hope that EM is a great game-making company and will deliver a truly incredible masterpiece of epic proportions.:thumbsup:

Time will tell...

xiaokiraa
10th Nov 2008, 08:29
To put it simply, us "fans" were disappointed with the first sequel to Deus Ex and dont want to see repeated mistakes. Without a doubt we will all play it out of curiosity, but would rather have a game that at least keeps some of the original aspects that made the original so great. Innovation can be a good or a bad, and I doubt even EM want to release a bad game.

GmanPro
11th Nov 2008, 05:04
beware the raging nerds :D

:eek: !!!

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/nerdragin.jpg?t=1226383289

mouse
11th Nov 2008, 07:18
^^ nice perk

gamer0004
11th Nov 2008, 12:09
Wat was really remarkable was my friend's comment on DX3 this morning... He knows I liked DX very much and sent me some new images of DX3 (which I already knew, of course ;)). When we were cycling to school this morning (we are Dutch after all) he said to me: "Doesn't look very good, does it? It's a bit too much sci-fi..."
He had no idea what I thought of DX. He has not even played DX, only seen it (once or twice). And even he has a better understanding of DX.
He thought that the game looked like the typical sci-fi environment (except for Shanghai, and I agree with him, it looks pretty good). Metal walls? Any idea how bad that echoes? And how expensive that is compared to concrete? And how hard it is to assemble? Companies will never use metal as a material for walls because there are too many disadvantages. But they look cool in games, so EM will put it in the game.

IH-Denton
11th Nov 2008, 12:24
Why don't you ask yourself what makes a dx game? is it the freedom the game give the player or is it the ammo each gun uses? bit of a no brainer imo.

I couldnt say better than this (http://www.dxalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=247555#247555), posted on dxalpha's forums:

DX is meant to be slow. DX is meant to be no auto-health. DX is meant to be both hiding in shadows and behind objects. DX is meant to have skill points and augmentations. DX is meant to have weapon mods and augmentation mods. DX is meant to have memorable and funny scenes. DX is meant to have books with parts of some great stories. DX is meant to have newspapers, datacubes and telephone lines which have been cut by UNATCO. DX is meant to have random bums on the streets telling you strange things. DX is meant to have the inventory as it has. DX is meant to have a Conversation log, Notes\Goals, Images, Logs, etc... DX is meant to be in the night.

DXeXodus
11th Nov 2008, 12:25
Wat was really remarkable was my friend's comment on DX3 this morning... He knows I liked DX very much and sent me some new images of DX3 (which I already knew, of course ;)). When we were cycling to school this morning (we are Dutch after all) he said to me: "Doesn't look very good, does it? It's a bit too much sci-fi..."
He had no idea what I thought of DX. He has not even played DX, only seen it (once or twice). And even he has a better understanding of DX.
He thought that the game looked like the typical sci-fi environment (except for Shanghai, and I agree with him, it looks pretty good). Metal walls? Any idea how bad that echoes? And how expensive that is compared to concrete? And how hard it is to assemble? Companies will never use metal as a material for walls because there are too many disadvantages. But they look cool in games, so EM will put it in the game.

So far from what I have seen there has been a nice balance between the old style environments (renaissance) and the shiny modern/lab type environments. The differences between the two are quite dramatic and one can argue that the modern parts do look too sci-fi. But I find this juxtaposition quite intriguing to be honest. It sets the game up for a nice relationship between the two environments as well as offering the player a change of scenery from time to time.

gamer0004
11th Nov 2008, 12:33
Oh, I agree. In fact, I think it looks quite good, but I don't want that in DX. Deus Ex should be immersive, not just look awesome.

DXeXodus
11th Nov 2008, 12:35
I agree with you. But you have to agree that the way a game ultimately immerses you into it's world is not entirely foreseeable by looking at early screenshots a year or so before release.

spm1138
11th Nov 2008, 19:57
What we've seen so far is quite Bladerunner-ey.

We've seen office space, labs and possibly someone's personal quarters.

I'm not sure how one would judge the immersion of any of that.

If all you'd seen of DX was Vandenburg, Area 51 and Versalife I doubt you'd be that impressed either.

dixieflatline
11th Nov 2008, 22:48
I hope Eidos M. can pull off a fantastic Deus Ex 3.

My gut tells me they are going to over-simplify the game, and gut out the RPG elements. But I hope I'm wrong! I'm really looking forward to it...even if it is just going to be a cyberpunk shooter.

XIphIas_gLadIus
12th Nov 2008, 00:49
what DX3 needs apart from not being DX:IW or Bioshock, is actual immerison in the enviroment the datacubes newspapers, FEEL like you are in another world
not a reminder where the industry has gone, its like the prettier the game looks the more shallow plot or gameplay, except where it SHOULD be shallow like DOOM, can you believe painkiller made by independent developers was better than doom 3?!??!?!,
maybe it's like a big statement made as a meta-video game(that encompasses everything from 2003 and forward) by the industry about the shallowness of beauty and how good looks only get you so far without a personality?!?!?! it's the only explanation that
or the generation starting with the xbox ruining everything (yes they have good games is just that generation in general) more accessible means more suck(pardon the simplification),once upon a time a 8.6 was a good rating and it didn't depend on the marketing department but the game itself.

i guees what i'm trying to say is game developers shouldn't forget what the game is about, and replay the old ones and the look back and say 'well this and that made that game/type of game better but those things made this other game/type of game better'

XIphIas_gLadIus
12th Nov 2008, 00:57
ben croshaw(can't spell yatze) said it better being a cynic pays of if you're wrong you still win if you are right you don't get hurt, i may not always agree with his reviews but they are honest and he makes good points.

Laokin
12th Nov 2008, 01:04
what DX3 needs apart from not being DX:IW or Bioshock, is actual immerison in the enviroment the datacubes newspapers, FEEL like you are in another world
not a reminder where the industry has gone, its like the prettier the game looks the more shallow plot or gameplay, except where it SHOULD be shallow like DOOM, can you believe painkiller made by independent developers was better than doom 3?!??!?!,
maybe it's like a big statement made as a meta-video game(that encompasses everything from 2003 and forward) by the industry about the shallowness of beauty and how good looks only get you so far without a personality?!?!?! it's the only explanation that
or the generation starting with the xbox ruining everything (yes they have good games is just that generation in general) more accessible means more suck(pardon the simplification),once upon a time a 8.6 was a good rating and it didn't depend on the marketing department bu the game itself.

Well, those times are long gone. *cough* Kane and Lynch. Eidos paid gamespot to give it a good review... the guy gave it a bad review, because.... guess what the game SUCKED and he got fired the next day.

The fact I'm finding is... more and more and more, even with blizzard and taking Health potions out of the game. WTF man, this is the auto-regen of the Hack and Slash RPG. Life orbs that drop in combat? Really? Ones that you have to manually click, which means stopping combat to get them. I'm supposed to believe this is going to facilitate action and fun... when it only sounds like boring uncomplicated frustration.

They just don't make games like they used to. These younger dev's have no real interest in gaming... they played a few here and there and saw some commercial for Devry or some ish.

My buddy was going to fullsail for animation.... thing is, he doesn't even like it. He just knew he could make money, he is what I would call.... a casual gamer. He liked games just because his friends did. This is who is making our games today -- not the people who actually LOVE to play games.

Or developers that find world of warcraft even remotely revolutionary. The only revolutionary thing that game did was make TV commercials. TV commercials then equated to massive sales. It doesn't matter that there are better games then WoW out there... what matters is that 10M people play it.

*Sigh* It's like a disease. You wanna know why Duke Nukem Forever still hasn't come out? WoW, yeah that's your answer. The game started from scratch in 2003. WoW launched Nov. 23rd 2004. George Broussard the lead designer of DNF has openly confessed he spends way too much time playing WoW. He has a wife and a kid and is designing the "best game ever." When does he have time to even play WoW? Better yet, since Duke3dXBlive came out... you see him on that ish every night.

I challenge you to look at the staff of EA. All super unqualified family members of owners and ceo's are Managers at all the EA studios. Rumour has it they are a bunch of drugged out rich kids that don't care about gaming and they are in charge of design decisions.

Sorry to say it... but Eidos Montreal is looking more and more like one of these companies. It's ridiculously amateur for them to tell us the health system is more elaborate then COD4 and then not tell us how. They also said it would be revealed in the "coming" magazines. These magazines all said the same thing... CoD4 health. WTF?

GmanPro
12th Nov 2008, 03:38
Deus Ex 3 could be the start of a new direction in the video game industry. But not if EM just makes yet another dumbed-down, simple and short game. Think about it; if DX3 is long, complex, wonderfully in-depth, and emphasizes story/conspiracry/difficult-meaningful choices over pretty graphics and over-the-top action, I GUARANTEE you that it would sell ridiculously well. It would be the only major game currently out there that actually meets all of the aforementioned criteria.

I think that gamers everywhere want MORE entertainment from their $60 and are not interested in playing just another boring and unoriginal action shooter with shiny graphics because right now, that's all that any gaming company seems to be interested in making.

GruntOwner
12th Nov 2008, 20:40
After all my time here, that article in PCGamer UK finally put to rest any hope that I had for this game. There was talk of activating your augmentations and going into third person mode to do some area effect. There were screenshots which looked copy/pasted from IW. There was a hideous half page screenshot featuring a man done with TF2 style graphics extending his arm with a chain gun popping out of it. That screenshot was the turning point for me. I am a fan of Deus Ex. This is not Deus Ex, this is something marketed under the same license. Al Quada is not Islam. I know it's an extreme example, but having a minigun in your arm? Combined with third person moments where they take away your control to perform an action, already viewed as one of the worst parts of any game? Unless they show me evidence that the story will blow my mind from here to Centauri, Diablo 3 is going to be more appealing than DX3.

That is why there is so much bashing. they even explicitely stated that the game was probably going to be unpopular with the fans of the original. We, the people who have been here for almost a year now, are not their target audience. You can give it a chance if you want, but don't expect a game anything like the original. Expect a consoley action game with exagerated graphics and a consoley engine.

The reason skills have been removed is because they wanted augs to fill that role. They tried the same with IW. It failed. Short of the intervention of Jesus christ himself, this game seems to be headed for IW in all ways bar the colour.

GmanPro
13th Nov 2008, 00:06
EM is sick with Consolitis... as, I fear, is the rest of the video game industry. :(

AaronJ
13th Nov 2008, 16:05
EM is sick with Consolitis... as, I fear, is the rest of the video game industry. :(

In all seriousness, I have no doubt that EM will stick with the PC's strength for DX3. I do not fear Consolitis here.