PDA

View Full Version : DX:HR - Drugs/Zyme & Prostitution?

Morgan_Everett
7th Nov 2008, 11:23
There will be prostitution and drugs (like zyme) in DX3?

Lazarus Ledd
7th Nov 2008, 12:44

like prostitution for info like in The Witcher? If I'm making that up, I haven't yet had a chance to play The Witcher.

Why not :D

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 14:15
^^
It's not necessary to do it like the Witcher.

And this DX is before the gray death (right?). So there won't be as many desperate looking sick people roaming the streets and stuff like that.

spm1138
7th Nov 2008, 16:00
Maybe they could have a bonus minigame where you get good citizen awards for taking a crowbar to pimps and drug dealers ;)

Jerion
7th Nov 2008, 16:02
Maybe they could have a bonus minigame where you get good citizen awards for taking a crowbar to pimps and drug dealers ;)

You got 10 seconds to beat it before I add your name to the list of community credit casualties.

spm1138
7th Nov 2008, 16:15
Son of a...! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgOKduU05t4)

Blade_hunter
7th Nov 2008, 17:39
What it happen if you consume drugs and pay some prostitutes to see them nudes ?

mouse
7th Nov 2008, 18:15
What it happen if you consume drugs and pay some prostitutes to see them nudes ?

maybe you can prostitute yourself to buy some drugs

Lazarus Ledd
7th Nov 2008, 20:30
Can we loose vanity like Cat in Red Dwarf :lol: only this time to prostitute? But not to become a bum

well then, it's easier to imagine them nude in that state if you wanna make your self relaxed =D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 20:36
I would like to see a raw and real world... so elements of drugs and prostitution should be seen in DX3. Having said that, it should be minimal... like in DX1. :)

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 21:35
I can't imagine that the world situation would be any worse 20-something years earlier from DX. I think I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but without the Gray Death and with more political stability, you'd think that there would be a lot less drug-use, homeless people, and prostitution.

Laokin
7th Nov 2008, 22:50
I can't imagine that the world situation would be any worse 20-something years earlier from DX. I think I mentioned this in another thread somewhere, but without the Gray Death and with more political stability, you'd think that there would be a lot less drug-use, homeless people, and prostitution.

Yeah but, look at earth now? We aren't post apoc... we aren't dying. While having a stupid president for a few years.... we're gonna be all right. Prostitution has always existed and drugs were made illegal based on racism and prejudice people. The first drug law made it illegal for the Chinese to smoke opium in America, for fear that they would drug white women and turn them into prostitutes using the drug opium.

We never had any indications that led to the belief that opium would make you sex crazed and retard strong, but that didn't stop the judicial system.

By rule of thumb... there HAS to be drug use and prostitution... for if it existed at all in the DX universe... logic tells you it would have to have ALWAYS existed in the DX universe. Brothels go back hundreds and hundreds of years my man. Prostitution will live for ever... as well as drug use. No law ever created will be able to stop human psychology.

It should only be in the poor neighborhoods... and maybe have a highclass brothel or something like the bunny ranch in the richer sections.

To not have it at all... is a ****

Mr. Perfect
8th Nov 2008, 00:28
It really should be kept minimal though, like DX1. Many countries are taking harder and harder stances against things like this in games. Look at Fallout3. They had to change the name of the in game drug from Morphine to something made up because the UK ratings board got upset.

DX3 does not need to have limited sales because it gets Mature+ ratings in all of the uptight countries.

GmanPro
8th Nov 2008, 00:35
I personally want it to be rated Mature.

I know that it isn't the point of a DX game to have over the top violence or suggestive language or other adult content like that. But like I said in another post somewhere, almost anything can be good in small doses.

And I'm talking about violence here... I don't really think DX could benefit from inappropriate language or other adult content. But a little bit of gore, at least at realistic levels, would be rewarding imo.

Laokin
8th Nov 2008, 02:12
I personally want it to be rated Mature.

I know that it isn't the point of a DX game to have over the top violence or suggestive language or other adult content like that. But like I said in another post somewhere, almost anything can be good in small doses.

And I'm talking about violence here... I don't really think DX could benefit from inappropriate language or other adult content. But a little bit of gore, at least at realistic levels, would be rewarding imo.

I think vulgar language if done with taste and not shock value adds much more to the immersion of the world. Almost everyone on this earth uses obscenities, a game that doesn't have them at all.... seems a little fake. The feel of creating a realistic environment heavily includes realistic speech. Any game designed for a more mature audience would always benefit from actually being Mature. Ofcourse I do mean with moderation and class.... as I see it, it's practically a must have. Too bad so many people are taking such a negative stance on video games and simultaneously promoting F'd up movies. If the gaming world had the creative freedom movies had.... it would be a much broader form of entertainment.

We just live in a sad world so in order to make a mature game.... you practically have to shoot yourself in the foot by banning your product from certain shelves and for an AO rating (18+.... isn't this the same as mature?? oh no I'm sorry that's 17+) no shelves at all.

:mad2:

GmanPro
8th Nov 2008, 02:36
True. I did like the gritty feelings of the fallout games. The violence and language serves to improve the quality of the experience in those games. But this is Deus Ex, so I really don't want any sort of emphasis on those elements. Just subtle moments of realism every now and again would be good...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Nov 2008, 09:59
... Prostitution will live for ever... as well as drug use. No law ever created will be able to stop human psychology.

This is very true... I don't believe there will ever be (at any time in our future) an end to either trade.
I also believe both will dramatically increase in popularity.

Certain drugs today may become 'better understood' (eg. tobacco may be prohibited because of health issues and substituted with another less-harmful leaf), there will be legalisation or toleration, they will become cheaper to buy and easier to obtain in the future - perhaps even 'advertised'. Many new drugs will be developed too (controlled/legal and black market).
Adult prostitution is likely to become much more accepted (and legalised) - especially where emphasis is given to individual choice and freedom. Transsexual rights and Gay marriage, for example, are testament to how much more lenient and fair we are becoming. Human law should not be hypocritical - so there will be a day for prostitute and transhuman rights etc to make their mark..

Lazarus Ledd
9th Nov 2008, 06:48
Prostituition is the oldest craft. It will live forever, even with "Pleasure GELFs" :lol:

parrot333
9th Nov 2008, 15:12
maybe you can prostitute yourself to buy some drugs

I approve this message

zauxz
16th Nov 2008, 10:48
i hope that you would HAVE to smoke, or your maximum health gets lower or something. It would make sence, since Adam is a smoker.

I STILL dont get why using cigs in DX1 would deal you damage, and if you use it in a bar, everyone will try to kill you. :D

spm1138
16th Nov 2008, 12:08
It's in an email somewhere. Something about your metabolism running really fast.

Lazarus Ledd
16th Nov 2008, 17:04
I approve this message

I watched in Team America: World Police, Gary had to blow to prove he's loyal so he can save his team :lol:

deus ex fan
16th Nov 2008, 18:57
This is very true... I don't believe there will ever be (at any time in our future) an end to either trade.
I also believe both will dramatically increase in popularity.

Certain drugs today may become 'better understood' (eg. tobacco may be prohibited because of health issues and substituted with another less-harmful leaf), there will be legalisation or toleration, they will become cheaper to buy and easier to obtain in the future - perhaps even 'advertised'. Many new drugs will be developed too (controlled/legal and black market).
Adult prostitution is likely to become much more accepted (and legalised) - especially where emphasis is given to individual choice and freedom. Transsexual rights and Gay marriage, for example, are testament to how much more lenient and fair we are becoming. Human law should not be hypocritical - so there will be a day for prostitute and transhuman rights etc to make their mark..

i totally agree with this opinion.Deus Ex world is about our world but deep into the future.And i believe that some things which banned in our today world they wouldn't be banned in Deus Ex world-and probably in our real world at that time......many of them would be legalised....

Imagine one day where all "versions" of humans e.g transhumans,transexuals,gays,lesbian live together and make love to each other without discrimination of our days......

But today's ethics not allowed us as a society thinking in such ways.I mean,to approve and accept these relationships.For example,we are still homophobic against homosexual couples.In Deus Ex future homosexual relationships should be something normal.......

Gay marriage is a kind of dispute in today world.Its something that not every country or nation in the world totally accept it.But maybe in Deus Ex future which is somekind our near future would be also something normal

Transhumans?i try to imagine how will be my future possibly [augmented=sexual hungry]girlfriend.Maybe she will have prosthetic boobs.......:eek: :lol:

AaronJ
8th Feb 2009, 02:12
I was thinking, seeing that DX3 seems to represent the highest point of society before it all goes to hell, they should introduce everyone's favorite little substance, Zyme. They could also have Adam deal with addiction, by affecting his conversations and stuff, without copying Fallout 3.

Blade_hunter
8th Feb 2009, 02:21
Do you want your drug consumption got some influences with your conversations and allow some other choices with this ?

jamhaw
8th Feb 2009, 04:19
I think it would be best just to have people mention a new drug hitting the streets and maybe having a sidequest involving Zyme. The Zyme's effects should probably be the same as in Deus Ex. I really hope they include it as it was very dissapointing not to be able to have some Zyme in IW.

WhatsHisFace
8th Feb 2009, 05:19
The drug-trafficking mission in Deus Ex was pretty funny actually.

But it doesn't seem like anything important to the series. Maybe have a dead body with a Zyme vial next to it for some deja-vu, but having it play into the story would be sort of...... worthless, and a waste of better narrative opportunity.

GmanPro
8th Feb 2009, 05:58
I still love taking out 'homeboy by the tracks' :lol:

PugPug
8th Feb 2009, 06:15
Hah, zyme. I remember saving every vial I could get to sell to that french dude.

jordan_a
8th Feb 2009, 11:06
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=82205

Blade_hunter
8th Feb 2009, 11:47
A little thread merge again ?
I just think drugs and cigs and many "useless" items gives some possibilities since we give some interesting possibilities with

Nathan2000
8th Feb 2009, 14:27
I was thinking, seeing that DX3 seems to represent the highest point of society before it all goes to hell, they should introduce everyone's favorite little substance, Zyme. They could also have Adam deal with addiction, by affecting his conversations and stuff, without copying Fallout 3.

I'm not sure. Zyme was presented as something new in Deus Ex, something that have just hit the streets. Maybe later I'll find some evidence. I'm sure, there was a datacube dealing with it in a hostel in Paris.

Dealing with addiction? How is that supposed to work? Not taking drugs is pretty easy in computer games...

...unless you make them the only healing item. :eek: It would inevitably raise age requirements.

Blade_hunter
8th Feb 2009, 14:55
It's like the use of the cigs or alcohol drinks, and in DX they added some changes for the political correctness reasons
the beer or the wine can heal a bit like a soda in DX 1, but in DX 2 they made the alcohol drinks as the same thing as the cigarettes for that reason.
And more the game allow political incorrectness, more the age requirement is high even if your victims didn't release any blood trail after killing them.
And more game editors are constrained to make something unlighted or something I can't say to allow a large public to play the game and decrease/reduce the age restriction.
Some games when I kill somebody I feel more to shoot a doll than shoot a person, just because they removed all the gore to make the game restriction at 12+ instead of 16+ ....

I think the political correctness must be more on the game spirit and scenario than made by restrictions but I think a game like deus ex should act like this, but I'm certain it will never happen ....

WhatsHisFace
8th Feb 2009, 16:11
I think the political correctness must be more on the game spirit and scenario than made by restrictions but I think a game like deus ex should act like this, but I'm certain it will never happen ....

It seems the more successful games in this industry are in fact the more violent/politically incorrect ones. Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War... all M rated games. Games like GTA and Fable deal with drugs, alcohol and prostitution, and those games sold millions of copies.

If I were Eidos, I wouldn't shy away from the artistic vision in fear of controversy, because if their game is good, it won't affect their success.

PugPug
8th Feb 2009, 16:27
It seems the more successful games in this industry are in fact the more violent/politically incorrect ones. Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Gears of War... all M rated games. Games like GTA and Fable deal with drugs, alcohol and prostitution, and those games sold millions of copies.

If I were Eidos, I wouldn't shy away from the artistic vision in fear of controversy, because if their game is good, it won't affect their success.

Hear hear. The gaming population is aging, and kids aren't going to buy DX3 anyway. If you were 15 when DX1 came out, you're 24 now. And you'll probably be 26 before this game hits shelves.

AaronJ
8th Feb 2009, 19:13

There we go, a solution! They can be mainstream without it being terrible!

Blade_hunter
8th Feb 2009, 19:45
It depends what the game features Deus Ex is a game that allow you to do bad things, but the "spirit of the game" suggest you to be a good person instead of some games.
Some persons killed some innocent people because they find it's fun, but I didn't do that in DX because it wasn't the suggested attitude (comportment).

and sometimes some NPCs can became hostile if they see you doing a crime in a street

WhatsHisFace
8th Feb 2009, 20:05
There we go, a solution! They can be mainstream without it being terrible!
Very funny. :nut: But "mainstream" and "success" aren't the same thing. Publishers don't understand that yet.

WhatsHisFace
8th Feb 2009, 20:06
Bull's eye. A teenager nowadays won't be (SHOULDN'T BE) interested in DX3.

Well, for the time being at least. Most teenagers today shouldn't have been interested in Fallout 3 either, but the game was faithful to it's roots, pleased the fans, got good word of mouth and got great reviews, and the interest spread to most involved gamers.

GmanPro
8th Feb 2009, 20:17
^^

but the game was faithful to it's roots,

HA! Hahahahahahahh! :lol: You're so funny :lmao:

WhatsHisFace
8th Feb 2009, 20:21
^^

HA! Hahahahahahahh! :lol: You're so funny :lmao:

Excellent. We have a fanatic of turn-based combat.

GmanPro
8th Feb 2009, 20:25
Lets have a look at them shall we?

Fallout three was not faithful to its origins concerning:

perspective
presentation
inventory system
conversation system
quest/reward system

All it was, was Oblivion with gunz. It was a highly watered down version of a classic, a perverted attempt to turn a great RPG system into a first person shooter with very light RPG elements. Notice the trend?

WhatsHisFace
8th Feb 2009, 20:29
Lets have a look at them shall we?

Fallout three was not faithful to its origins concerning:

perspective
presentation
inventory system
conversation system
quest/reward system

All it was, was Oblivion with gunz. It was a highly watered down version of a classic, a perverted attempt to turn a great RPG system into a first person shooter with very light RPG elements. Notice the trend?
Bethesda did a much, MUCH better job than you're giving them credit for, and actually cared about what they were doing, which is more than I can say for Eidos Montreal, even going on the little info we have for DX3. I'm actually afraid to hear more on this game, because the news so far has all been bad.

GmanPro
8th Feb 2009, 20:36
^^Bethesda made the same game they always make. Its all they know how to do apparently. I would have thoroughly enjoyed the game had it not been a part of the Fallout series. Why couldn't they just make up their own damned setting!?! People want casual shooters, ok I get that. But make your own game and leave Fallout alone!!1!

I forgot to mention:

Skill system
Character development
Multiple types of ammunition

And now they are making ridiculous downloadable missions that are all about explosions and non-stop action. This is not what Fallout is about. Its a disgrace.

Blade_hunter
8th Feb 2009, 22:09
Eh I got a question what is mainstream ? sorry to ask that :hmm:
The main problem of non political correctness in games it's more about some organisms (the societies that rate the maturity of the game and even allow their potential sold)
In some countries some games are totally forbidden, and I don't know if they do that thing for movies

Some games attracts gamers because they got as a main theme the political incorrectness though, GTA is one of them, carmageddon is an other, soldier of fortune is more an other, Postal2 is totally oriented by this way.

The thing with DX is in DX2 they removed some elements present in DX1 that allowed to do some bad things (bad in regards to the moral though), even if we can kill a great number of NPCs.
I don't tried everything, but I've seen some vids on youtube about that.

The thing is the presence of things that allow use to make the worst things in games, are sometimes limited by a limitation like an invulnerable NPC for example, or remove the interactivity with the item, or make it more useless than useful.

Deus Ex is a game that incites you to be a good person, save people, encourage the tranquilizing though instead of killing.
Even if got a bit the contrary (Anna Navarre and some Soldiers for example)
When we choose the rocket launcher Paul didn't say, "Oh yeah it's useful to squish people with :D !"
We got a flamethrower in the DX games even if we could do a burning fest party with; it wasn't the suggested attitude.

The most interesting of that it's JC that sometimes ask to some persons if his attitude was correct or not or came happy after killing all terrorists and carter didn't gave any ammo to JC.

Drugs are interesting elements in the game I consider the cigs, the alcohol as a drug, even if some people didn't thinks that.
In the first DX the alcohol was well managed even if we could have some other annoyances with and not make this drink like it was made in DX 2 (alcohol = cigs :( )

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Feb 2009, 22:25
Merged your new thread with existing one. :)

PugPug
9th Feb 2009, 03:44
It depends what the game features Deus Ex is a game that allow you to do bad things, but the "spirit of the game" suggest you to be a good person instead of some games.
Some persons killed some innocent people because they find it's fun, but I didn't do that in DX because it wasn't the suggested attitude (comportment).

and sometimes some NPCs can became hostile if they see you doing a crime in a street

Heh that's true, in DX1 you could do unspeakably evil things, but you never got caught because it would bring the story to a grinding halt.

I guess that's the drawback to having a brilliant, film-worthy script. You don't get to go off-script, so to say.

Concerning Fallout 3, truth be told, I don't think it needs to be talked about here, unless the conversation relates to DX3. From what we know so far, gameplay will be different from 1 and 2, but not radically (as was the shift in Fallout 3).

itsalladream
9th Feb 2009, 04:55
Yeah, just pull your piece out in the bar.:mad2: :thud:

Blade_hunter
9th Feb 2009, 18:03
Using our weapons in unatco HQ would make our team mates Unatco soldiers and most normally friendly NPCs hostile.

payne
11th Feb 2009, 22:01
why don't we have some sex party with a prostitute with some credits ?

and to do so you'll have to answer the questions in the way she wants

it will be awesome but the game have to be x rated or PG 17R:cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Feb 2009, 14:55

No thank you, not "awesome" at all, imo. This idea is not for a game like DX3. :hmm:

WhatsHisFace
12th Feb 2009, 16:05

Yes, yes. I agree. The best part of Fable 2 co-op was that you could both employ the same prostitute at the same time.

PiroMajesticXXI
12th Feb 2009, 20:58
It could be great if we would be able to help prostitutes or drugs addicted :p
Your action against citizen in general should change the story.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Feb 2009, 10:01
According to most recent reports (http://www.fragland.net/news/Some-more-details-on-Deus-Ex-3/20196/):

Women play a large role in the game, some of them you've known for a long time, others will try to seduce or betray you, depending on your previous actions.

PugPug
14th Feb 2009, 16:59
C'mon, I'm married. Video game hookers are all I have.

mj12_agent13
16th Feb 2009, 06:17
Come on guys, yes there needs to be drugs, hookers, pimps and drug dealers. That's the kind of stuff that makes the DX universe gritty and real. Forget about all those ratings people with nothing better to do than girlie up our games!

Grand theft auto went up against them all and as a result is one of the most successful games ever, DX2 tried to be all nice and console friendly and that became one of the worst games ever. Video game developers need to be rewarded for being brave and original, not from sugar coating concepts and making things more "user friendly".

hem dazon 90
16th Feb 2009, 06:21

I am 14 and I wanna play deus ex three

LatwPIAT
16th Feb 2009, 08:55

I was sixteen when I got Deus Ex last year. Thus, I'm a teenager and wants to play DX3.

SageSavage
16th Feb 2009, 12:02
Fallout 3 is a gorefest but I agree that it feels toned down a bit in some areas, especially the sexual content. Obviously a concession to the US-market. I don't think this will be a big issue with DX3 since it was never a significant part of the franchise.

Dijj
16th Feb 2009, 13:35
I started playing deus ex when I was like nine or ten, and 6 years later, it remains my favorite game. I look at these forums hungrily for new DX3 info. anyway...about zyme and alky-haul. we definitely need zyme (at least one vision/performance distortions if not zyme) as drugs have always played an important role in video games, from stimpacks in doom2 to fallout3, and, next to universal ammo, no zyme and ineffective alcohol were my two biggest disappointments in dx2...which I still loved anyhow. alcohol should be portrayed in a sense like: "hey look a box full of liquer bottles. now I got a mission to do, and if I am really drunk, am I going to be able to complete this mission?" I mean, could YOU go assassinate some world leader after downing a handle of booze? this leaves for hours of that useless gameplay I strive for on ce the mission/game is finished. walking around Hells Kitchen and spawning ridiculous amounts of zyme and liquer only to kill time between missions(same goes for LAMs and dogs) was/is one of the funnest things to do imo, but doing that during a mission made it way harder due to being so intoxicated. with alcohol, as far as visual distortions go, Fable 1 was fine, but you should actually be able to black out/get performance decreasing hangovers/vomit and all of that good stuff. zyme, or whichever drug(s), should be highly visual and psychedelic, as most videogame drugs are merely performance enhancers that alter skills and not sight, which is something that nearly all drugs do in fact effect. zyme was all for entertainment, which should be the main focus on drugs. now...if eidos REALLY wanted to impress me, they'd make Zyme have the possibility of a bad trip, where you could hallucinate in a bad way, distorting enemies' bodies and even hallucinating weird enemies completely out of the blue that you could shoot at, ruining any chances of stealth. I don't know. I've never played fallout3, so I don't know how similar this might or might not sound to that. drugs and alcohol are a must for dx3 if your goal is options and realism.

Sabretooth1
16th Feb 2009, 13:50
I'll just join in the chorus saying that I was 10 when I first finished Deus Ex. :rasp: And by the time DX3 comes out, I'll still be a teenager (a very late one), so aye. :D

I, for one, say that the amount of grimy material (hookers, drugs, pimps etc.) should be lower than in Deus Ex. The prime reason is to embellish the whole Renaissance-aesthetic and the whole Golden Age fundamental. Deus Ex was set in an era of decay, where life was as hard as it gets, hence all the sick people on the streets, women selling themselves, pimps having a field day, homeless bums doped out on Zyme etc.

It could be interesting to note the newfound spread of Zyme in Deus Ex 3, though. How it's a brand new drug that's spreading all across the world. Still, I wouldn't be complaining with more hookers/pimps and drugs. ;)

Dijj
16th Feb 2009, 13:56
eidos should not worry about mature themes in videogames. there are parents out there that don't mind violent video games, like mine. it also sounds like most of you guys are over eighteen, so, by taking out questionable elements like drugs/gore (another must have...but that's a diff thread) and prostitution for the younger audiences ruins it(to an extent at least) for those of us who are allowed to view...uh...SUGGESTIVE ThEMES. if your parents aren't gonna buy you some game just because they're that freaked out over something as insignificant as optional druguse, then tough beans, mac. get your 18 yearold friend to buy it for you and don't let your lame parents catch you. add a whole new vicarious thrill to your dx3 experience. I'm not gonna let Joe Schmoe's loudmouthed mother ruin a dx game.

Jerion
16th Feb 2009, 13:56
I'll just join in the chorus saying that I was 10 when I first finished Deus Ex. :rasp: And by the time DX3 comes out, I'll still be a teenager (a very late one), so aye. :D

I, for one, say that the amount of grimy material (hookers, drugs, pimps etc.) should be lower than in Deus Ex. The prime reason is to embellish the whole Renaissance-aesthetic and the whole Golden Age fundamental. Deus Ex was set in an era of decay, where life was as hard as it gets, hence all the sick people on the streets, women selling themselves, pimps having a field day, homeless bums doped out on Zyme etc.

It could be interesting to note the newfound spread of Zyme in Deus Ex 3, though. How it's a brand new drug that's spreading all across the world. Still, I wouldn't be complaining with more hookers/pimps and drugs. ;)

I was 11, my first time through DX. Countless playthroughs later, it is still by far my all time favorite game. :)

Zyme was still a new thing in Hong Kong by 2052, so you might encounter some American guy in his basement just initially creating the stuff.

Spyhopping
16th Feb 2009, 14:39
I got my first PC in 2000 with a 32mb video card along with DX. I was too young to get the most out of it then but it was the most complex game I'd ever played.
One of my funnier interpretations of it back then was my description to my cousin of Bob Page as having a zipper on his forehead. :D

facepalm
16th Feb 2009, 18:34
One of my funnier interpretations of it back then was my description to my cousin of Bob Page as having a zipper on his forehead.

http://www.deusexgaming.com/images/deusex/info/DXImportantChars/BobPage.jpg

Eh? :scratch:

Spyhopping
16th Feb 2009, 18:47
Y'know, his bioelectric markings on his forehead. I was 11 and it was the best way I could describe it to my cousin when I first started playing!

facepalm
16th Feb 2009, 18:59
I see what you mean. The texture's resolution is pretty bad, so the electrodes connected to his forehead could be mistaken for a pair of zippers. :lol:

spm1138
17th Feb 2009, 02:19
Stop making me feel old.

AaronJ
17th Feb 2009, 03:37
I got my first PC in 2000 with a 32mb video card along with DX. I was too young to get the most out of it then but it was the most complex game I'd ever played.
One of my funnier interpretations of it back then was my description to my cousin of Bob Page as having a zipper on his forehead. :D

lol, when I did my first playthrough, I went 0-aug the whole time.

3nails4you
17th Feb 2009, 03:40
I feel like where they drew the line in DX1 would be appropriate for number 3. I remember being 10 and playing DX the first time and there was a lot of stuff I couldn't pick up on but was obviously there, especially while playing through later. There's no reason to add anything sketchier in DX3, and making it a lot worse would be a reason for me to not buy the game. I am a proud Christian, and I know a lot of people in the demographic of NOT wanting dirty and horrible things in video games that would make up a lot of the market for the game. I sincerely hope this game is kept as clean as possible without losing customers.

itsalladream
17th Feb 2009, 03:48
Oh nooezz, I guess we all live in a bubble in the future.:rolleyes:

3nails4you
17th Feb 2009, 04:11
I guess it's un-Christian now to live in reality. I've got some serious repenting to do, I've been doing that **** for 20 years now :(

Go read John 17:14-16 and Romans 3:23. This characterizes Christian opinion well...everyone sins and makes mistakes, it is human nature. But it is important to strive to be MORE Christ-like and do our best to live OUT of known sin.
My point was, I would not buy a game or a movie with any kind of content like that. I know a lot of people who feel the exact same way who, if it is not included, will certainly buy DX3. From an objective standpoint, DX3 will lose more customers than it gains for including nudity or sexual situations...the people who are going to buy DX3 are buying it for being a DX game...including garbage won't help gain customers, but will definitely lose a lot.

3nails4you
17th Feb 2009, 04:28
I'm not really sure "from an objective standpoint" belongs in that post, since your idea is basically that because your circle of Puritans will not buy a game that says "ass" more than twice, millions of people won't either. Multiple decades of evidence in all parts of the entertainment industry stand against you here.

I didn't say any of that. Puritan is definitely not right there :P

And I think we were talking about ACTUAL sexually explicit content here. I understand that a lot of people feel like a game is horrible if there is no cussing and can tolerate it to a large degree. And I didn't say millions, I said a lot. You would be surprised how large the Christian gaming community is, not to mention people who just have high moral standards. Simply because they're quieter doesn't mean they aren't there. Putting sex in a game like DX3 will make a lot of people not buy it, let me say that.

PugPug
17th Feb 2009, 04:38
lol, when I did my first playthrough, I went 0-aug the whole time.

I was a little too careful about my bioelectric energy, as though the level designers would leave me high and dry at any moment.

But yeah I could see you playing without augs, especially on Normal or Easy.

itsalladream
17th Feb 2009, 05:27
What would keep you from playing a game with that type of content in the same manner in which you live your life? If you don't like that aspect of the game, dismiss it as trashy, just as you do in your life. I'm sure there are many other prudes out there that will be interested in the game for what it should be - a realistic representation of the real world.

Besides, your "objective standpoint" is hardly objective. Conflict and intrigue sells. And if you are trying to sell realism, you **** well better include it, dagnabit.

3nails4you
17th Feb 2009, 05:28
Let me correct you.

It isn't about that. Most of the people here, incompetent as they may be, do not want sex, violence, and "dirty words" for their own sake. It's about creating a realistic, immersive, authentic experience. Nobody gets immersed in your Sunday-morning cartoon version of the future, where our dark dystopian fate leads to everybody saying "darn" and "gee golly".

First, the idea that a "Christian gamer" must share the idea that any entertainment that is as befouled as the real world is not worth a purchase is ridiculous. Two, the idea that this Ned Flanders view on entertainment is indicative of a "higher moral standard" is even more ridiculous.

I see your points, for sure, but realistically when I walk around I don't see actual nudity or sex, so when I walk around in a game I shouldn't. And when I said high moral standards, I should have phrased it differently. When I said high moral standards, I really meant moral standards that conform to the belief that a marital context for sexuality is good.

And for the SECOND time, I did not say this: "where our dark dystopian fate leads to everybody saying "darn" and "gee golly".

DID NOT SAY IT. I understand the need for immersion in gameplay, especially to make sales, but think that realistically, there is no reason to include nudity or sexuality in the game to make it realistic. For some people, it is NOT a part of everyday life and it shouldn't be forced on them. I DID say that I understand how people feel a need for swearing and other things in video games, and that it is acceptable. And there was plenty of sexual content and innuendo in DX1, and I said that the level of it in DX1 was a REASONABLE place to draw the line.

itsalladream
17th Feb 2009, 05:42
Have you ever had a pop up, or accidentally clicked a link that showed you a boob or something of that nature? Did you cancel your internet over that, or did you accept it as a part of life?

I saw where PETA had 2 vegitarian lesbians in their undies making out for a few hours in some city on Valentines Day. A lot of people got quite a surprise just walking down the street.

I live in Japan, and walking down the street you can see the hostess clubs (where supposedly nothing unsavory happens, but we all know what the girls do with their customers later), and places to rent a date for the night in almost any city, and in Tokyo (and other big cities) there are shops that sell dirty stuff and at a few of these shops they have nudie pictures that are on the store front. At the big electronics stores, they have their adult movie sections, with full frontal shots (albiet slightly blurred in the lower regions), clearly visibly from the anime section (infact right behind it).

Back in the day you could watch USA (cable channel) late at night and see quite a bit more than is allowed on regular cable television.

Despite what you may think, those things are part of everyday life for many many people. They may not partake in such activities, but it is part of their lives.

3nails4you
17th Feb 2009, 05:43
Are we going to be surfing the internet or watching TV in the game? Or walking into video stores? lol

itsalladream
17th Feb 2009, 05:45
Are we going to be surfing the internet or watching TV in the game? lol

Maybe, have you played it yet?

If not, we **** sure will be walking down the street, you impudent ****.

3nails4you
17th Feb 2009, 05:50
Well that really wasn't warranted. I'm just saying that DX1 was an incredible game and how it was set up and presented was really a great way to do it and there's really no reason to take that further :\ Just IMO, telling everyone what I think, chill out dude.

itsalladream
17th Feb 2009, 05:55
Well, the **** wasn't intended to be anything exceptionally derogatory.

"...you impudent :rasp:."

That also makes me feel better, as I don't like getting onto people too much. You just took what I said, dropped a few words, and made it your own, which was a misrepresentation of what I said.

I was just saying, if we are shooting for realism, there is a lot more to realism than some people may realize. Deus Ex 3 isn't likely to take place in middle-class suburbia (I'm not saying that's where you live). There will be all kinds of elements that those people won't recognize as daily life that some people don't give a second thought to. Besides, who knows what the future will bring. If won't be any prettier than today, I'm pretty sure.

Moon Hoplite
24th Feb 2009, 06:44
There should only be zhyme, it should be hidden and hard to find.

Should be used to get extra ammo, new guns, health, upgrades or info from drug dealers/junkies/gun dealers :).

mj12_agent13
27th Feb 2009, 22:42
Computer games seem to get all the stick when it comes to ratings these days. If a die-hard fan of an 18 rated movie such as "Sin City" was told that all the guns, prostitutes and drugs would be removed in the sequel because of younger audiences people would find this bizzare as that was part of the success of the franchise in the first place. This however regularly happens in video games and I find this very dissapointing. I personally have no qualms about a 14 year old playing a game with drugs and hookers in it because what "real" effect will that have? If the parents have different views then simply don't let your kids play the games!

it's lazy parenting in my opinion when your son is playing an 18 rated game you don't approve of and you write complaints to the people who make the game instead of being angry with your child... If you found an adult magazine in your childs room that you didn't approve of, or an 18 rated gore fest of a movie would you then complain to the makers of the film or magazine? what then if you found a gun in your childs bedroom, would you complain to Smith and Wesson? what if you found that your child sat in their room worshipping the devil would you complain to the devil? :) just control your own children and let adults enjoy entertainment with sexual, drug and violence realted themes.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Feb 2009, 09:41
I have to agree with the view that it is up to parents to evaluate the appropriateness of video game content. Games are conveniently rated, just like movies are, and it isn't difficult for parents to make a decision on what is or isn't suitable for their child. This is the fairest approach - the market must continue to cater for all ages.

Having said that, I partly agree with 3nails4you when he says "I feel like where they drew the line in DX1 would be appropriate for number 3. I remember being 10 and playing DX the first time and there was a lot of stuff I couldn't pick up on but was obviously there..." This content should still remain as 'subtle' as it was in DX1; perhaps a little bit more gritty and real - but there is no need for any over-emphasis on the participation of sex and drugs. Not so much that it becomes tedious or unnecessary as far as the plotline is concerned.
I don't agree that the possibility of a 10 year old playing DX3 means that the devs must tone down unnecessarily, no. DX3 needs to be dark and seedy to give a sense of real immersion for the adult player and it will be rated accordingly.

mj12_agent13
1st Mar 2009, 16:44
I totally agree with immortal, there doesn't shouldn't be needless sex and drugs just for the sake of it. DX1 was indeed subtle in its approach and also being quite young when it was released I also didn't fully appreciate some of the more seedier aspects. Again I agree with the point that games should cater to all ages, this means that while some games have care bares and teletubbies for younger audiences some games should also include realistic things like prostitutes or drugs.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Mar 2009, 19:57
And the good thing is that us adults can still play Care Bears and Teletubbie games, hehe. Isn't that awesome?!? :cool: :D

WhatsHisFace
1st Mar 2009, 22:58
Deus Ex 3 rated E10 confirmed.

Apollonius
2nd Mar 2009, 03:32
Drugs in games are a touchy subject. One main reason is probably the demographic of players, consisting largely of 15 – 25 year olds who are still at impressionable stages of their lives.

As a pharmacist, I believe that with the correct angle and careful implementation, the inevitable drug reverences DX3 could be used as a golden opportunity to show the full effects that drugs have, not only to those addicted to them but also to others around them.

Through NPCs, games can be very effective in showing the real effects of drugs. They can be useful in showing additive behaviour as well as the aggression, paranoia and delusions which often accompany addiction. Some delusions can include feelings of insects crawling on the skin which often causes ‘ice’ addicts to sit and pick out chunks of skin. Here is a small example of how drugs like ‘ice’ can affect people’s looks, only one aspect of what drugs can do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3RjDntlhs

In the style of DX, the player is going to have a great deal of choices throughout the game. For example, if a player does decide to start dealing for extra credits, further down the track, junkies may start accumulating in area, cause trouble or even decide to attack the player if they no longer possess any drug to sustain their addiction. Other NPC’s may also decide not to trade/talk to the player on moral grounds, due to their reputation and dealings. The repercussions of the player’s choices can be used to portray drugs in a responsible way, possibly even giving the game positive media coverage if it is executed correctly.

singularity
2nd Mar 2009, 04:20
I don't think it's any different than GTA4 -- another game that strives for (and in many ways, succeeds at) creating a realistic, seedy world, corrupted by crime and greed. Look at drinking and driving... can you do it in GTA4? Sure. Should you? -- Well try it once and after you lose your weapons from being busted by a cop, you will be feeling the hurt.

In DX1 you could smoke, do drugs, drink excessively, etc... and all had consequences. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar in DX3. they add to the realism, but showing the down-side to an addiction (i.e. Fallout 3) would also be realistic, and even add to a dark tone for the game (not to mention putting the game in a good light for institutions like M.A.D.) .

As for sex -- I walk down the streets of New York and Chicago and sex is everywhere -- especially the advertisements, 30 feet wide on bill boards. Turn on the television, and it's there, hop on the internet and it's there -- get in a serious relationship, and it's there.

Sex is has ensured the survival of humanity for thousands of years, and if we are lucky, it will do so for some time to come. Not putting it in the game at a realistic level would be absurd. As a culture, we are more willing to except a videogame character decapitating someone than we are the difital representation of the nude figure... I'm still scratching my head.
Personally -- I want my children to one day have sex, and know they have long-since seen nudity. I don't ever want them to experience the decapitation of another human being.

The game will (hopefully) be marketed towards adults. As adults, sex is part of life. The game is shooting towards realism, thus I'm fine with (reasonable*) nudity. It's not like it's going to make or break the game.

(*in this instance, "Reasonable" means it fits within the story line, isn't over-done, and is tasteful, rather than done for shock value -- otherwise, I could really care less)

El_Bel
2nd Mar 2009, 11:38
Drugs in games are a touchy subject. One main reason is probably the demographic of players, consisting largely of 15 – 25 year olds who are still at impressionable stages of their lives.

As a pharmacist, I believe that with the correct angle and careful implementation, the inevitable drug reverences DX3 could be used as a golden opportunity to show the full effects that drugs have, not only to those addicted to them but also to others around them.

Through NPCs, games can be very effective in showing the real effects of drugs. They can be useful in showing additive behaviour as well as the aggression, paranoia and delusions which often accompany addiction. Some delusions can include feelings of insects crawling on the skin which often causes ‘ice’ addicts to sit and pick out chunks of skin. Here is a small example of how drugs like ‘ice’ can affect people’s looks, only one aspect of what drugs can do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3RjDntlhs

In the style of DX, the player is going to have a great deal of choices throughout the game. For example, if a player does decide to start dealing for extra credits, further down the track, junkies may start accumulating in area, cause trouble or even decide to attack the player if they no longer possess any drug to sustain their addiction. Other NPC’s may also decide not to trade/talk to the player on moral grounds, due to their reputation and dealings. The repercussions of the player’s choices can be used to portray drugs in a responsible way, possibly even giving the game positive media coverage if it is executed correctly.

How about a positive LSD story, that would be newsworthy. Don't you think? Anybody think that? Just once, to hear a positive LSD story. "Today, a young man on acid, realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." :wave:

Kids stay away from Heroine and Ice. Cocaine is kind of bad too. I you dont want to play your life in a d20 roll dont take any.

Big Orange
4th Mar 2009, 23:22
This game is going to get a 18 rating like GTA IV and Fallout 3, so I wouldn't mind seeing sex and drug usage, but don't have it ridiculously in 'yer face and keep it in context. I would expect red light districts on the wrong side of the tracks, brothels or strip joints used as fronts for criminal groups, and sub-quests involving saving a hooker from a particularily nasty pimp.

Fig89
4th Mar 2009, 23:42
The inclusion of drugs in the original DX worked out very well. Apollionus nails it as far as I'm concerned; the implementation of drugs, or for that matter any controversial subject into a story can be done tastefully and insightfully.

While I don't think an actual sex minigame would be worth much development time, there should DEFINETELY be innuendo and references to it to further character development. Wasn't Sandra Renton a prostitute for JoJo? No reason to take away elements that can help add to a gritty effect.

3nails4you
5th Mar 2009, 00:27
The inclusion of drugs in the original DX worked out very well. Apollionus nails it as far as I'm concerned; the implementation of drugs, or for that matter any controversial subject into a story can be done tastefully and insightfully.

While I don't think an actual sex minigame would be worth much development time, there should DEFINETELY be innuendo and references to it to further character development. Wasn't Sandra Renton a prostitute for JoJo? No reason to take away elements that can help add to a gritty effect.

That's just how I felt on the subject. There isn't any reason to take it as far as actual nudity and have to go up a rating, therefore losing potential buyers, but drawing the line where DX1 had it is perfect...it's stuff young'uns can't really see or catch onto, but it insinuates things adults CAN pick up on and satisfies their need for realism.

Inane Mythos
5th Mar 2009, 01:19
I think VTMB did the whole "A game for Adults by Adults" really well. Inuendos here and there really do add the realism of low-down (Or just plain freaky) lifestyles. I take it everybody remembers the Billboards on the sides of buildings in Hell's Kitchen? (In Deus Ex)

Why does the public really get all giddy and shocked when the slightest hint of sexual reference or drugs get's put into games? Everybody was shocked to see that San Andreas had that "Hot Coffee" mod? Yes it was a surprise but it wasn't out of line considering all the GTA games are rated as 18+?

But anyway I'm all up for Drugs and what not as long as it fits in the world. Prostitutes on street corners? Why not.
A 10-man gangbang in the middle of a Restaurant? Maybe not...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Mar 2009, 09:17
I'm sure EM will get the balance just right. :cool:

El_Bel
6th Mar 2009, 14:03
New info on Zyme. From the conversation between the pusher and the Dealer in Honk Kong I have heard that it is made of "Double UO globe. One kilo bricks. 90% pure."

Double UO globe is a brand of Heroin.
The brick "brick a pound or kilogram of any drug (item requires clarification from speaker as to the amount intended)
I get my dope straight off a brick. (implying said substance is pure, clean, and untampered with)"

So i think that zyme is Heroin. They just couldn't say Heroin in the game but they have left hints so we could understand what it was.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Mar 2009, 21:44
Thanks for this information. It makes sense, yes. :)

SemiAnonymous
6th Mar 2009, 21:45
Same thing happened in Fallout 3. Med-X was originally called...I don't remember, I wanna say meth, but I'm 99% sure thats wrong.
Interesting tidbit, though.

EDIT: It was morphine originally, but they dropped all real world drug references. Dunno how I got meth from that, oh well.

spm1138
6th Mar 2009, 21:54
A 10-man gangbang in the middle of a Restaurant?

The aristocrats!

itsalladream
7th Mar 2009, 04:58
I forget where, but they do mention heroin in at least one line in DX1.

The aristocrats!

The best way to end a joke! haha. Haven't seen that in a long time.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Mar 2009, 14:50
I forget where, but they do mention heroin in at least one line in DX1.

Yeah, the bartender in Hong Kong I think.

xusorcim
13th Mar 2009, 14:08

Yeah they had that in the Duke Nukem series of games ... You could see the hand reach out and literally hand over the cash ... heh ... and then watch a little dance =p

dani
12th Aug 2009, 19:11
This was a great feature in de original Deus Ex. I used 10 Zymes in Paris and had a good time.

The only thing I didn’t like is that drugs and alcohol effects were all the same. It would be nice to see some real drugs in Deus Ex 3. The effects must be the same as in the real world. Some of these drugs will stimulate the character. This will result in better performance during combat. Frequently use will lead to an addiction.

Hertzila
12th Aug 2009, 20:14
No addictions thank you. You can only take so much realism into play until the game gets boring and stupid. Also I bet you're meaning the "Vanilla" Deus Ex without mods. In that case look at the Shifter mod: zyme slowed the game down to produce a bullet time effect and thus made them actually useful. This is the line DX3 should go with: every object in the game has some use, be it bullet time, health regeneration, distraction, bargaining chip (not scripted/plot relevant), disguising, etc.

Jerion
12th Aug 2009, 20:16
No addictions thank you. You can only take so much realism into play until the game gets boring and stupid. Also I bet you're meaning the "Vanilla" Deus Ex without mods. In that case look at the Shifter mod: zyme slowed the game down to produce a bullet time effect and thus made them actually useful. This is the line DX3 should go with: every object in the game has some use, be it bullet time, health regeneration, distraction, bargaining chip (not scripted/plot relevant), disguising, etc.

You know, if I can pick up a coffee mug, then fill it with some really bizarre substance and use it as a conversation piece with NPCs I'll be happy.

IOOI
12th Aug 2009, 23:43
You know something...

squeal pig squeal

TALLGEESE
14th Aug 2009, 01:43
How about a positive LSD story, that would be newsworthy. Don't you think? Anybody think that? Just once, to hear a positive LSD story. "Today, a young man on acid, realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." :wave:

Kids stay away from Heroine and Ice. Cocaine is kind of bad too. I you dont want to play your life in a d20 roll dont take any.

ha ha, im a tool fan too.:thumb:

spm1138
14th Aug 2009, 12:00
It's a Bill Hicks bit.

TALLGEESE
15th Aug 2009, 09:46
It's a Bill Hicks bit.
hmm i didnt know that i just knew tool used that quote in one of there songs.

spm1138
15th Aug 2009, 14:40
NSFW, he says swears

This is the bit about drugs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX1CvW38cHA

and this bit I'm linking just because I love it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA_XMaTYqSs

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Aug 2009, 22:30
You know something...

squeal pig squeal

He knows too much and needs kidnapping for interrogation purposes. :D

Jerion
15th Aug 2009, 22:42
He knows too much and needs kidnapping for interrogation purposes. :D

http://knightsclan.info/forums/style_emoticons/default/sofa.gif

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Aug 2009, 23:16
Hehe, that bright-yellow skin of yours allows for a perfect head-shot with a tranquiliser dart. :rasp:

Jerion
15th Aug 2009, 23:22
Remember, a headshot is a lethal takedown. http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/smilies/aetsch.gif

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Aug 2009, 23:36
Ooops, yeah. Please don't leave me all alone in here... :eek:
:D

Jerion
15th Aug 2009, 23:46
Next time I make a visit to EM I'm gonna be packing heat on the trip back. Somehow I'm envisioning a real-life game of L4D, but with forumers instead of zombies. :eek:

gamer0004
21st Aug 2009, 18:25

Please no, the great thing of DX was that you could do all those things you can do IRL but weren't usefull: smoking, switching the lights, drinking, flushing the toilet... This is exactly what I fear for in DX3: only being able to "use" (interact with) items I need to use to advance, like CoD and GTA.

minus0ne
21st Aug 2009, 21:46
Next time I make a visit to EM I'm gonna be packing heat on the trip back. Somehow I'm envisioning a real-life game of L4D, but with forumers instead of zombies. :eek:
According to Canadian scientists, zombies (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8206280.stm) pose a far greater threat. :D

Hertzila
21st Aug 2009, 23:10
Please no, the great thing of DX was that you could do all those things you can do IRL but weren't usefull: smoking, switching the lights, drinking, flushing the toilet... This is exactly what I fear for in DX3: only being able to "use" (interact with) items I need to use to advance, like CoD and GTA.
I didn't mean it like that. I meant that they should add as much stuff as in DX that you can interact with (or more) but while doing it, make it also useful in some way. Alcohol for example was already usable in DX in a good way but cigarettes were done horribly and should be changed to at least being non-harmful. But while doing this they could also make them good for distracting or negotiating, giving them more use. Same thing for alcohol and even zyme. At least they should give everything you can lug around a reason to lug around", be it bullet time, health regeneration, distraction, bargaining chip (not scripted/plot relevant), disguising, etc."

Also IMO light switches were useful whan you wanted to darken the room for hiding or light it up when searching it. And naturally scenery stuff (plants, chairs and like) don't really require any other use than being something to hide behind.

meaniedevilface
22nd Aug 2009, 00:54

Haha I don't see why not. Just because they didn't get to witness the wonder that was DX1, doesn't mean the new game won't appeal to them.

I'm sure the devs would like to believe that their game will stand on its own merits just as well as it stands on the shoulders of its predecessors. Just look at Fallout 3. A moot comparison, to be sure, but it's got just as fanatical a following as this franchise.

But all the same, a lot of younger people got their start with Fallout 3, and it's so popular because even barring the previous games in the series, the game is good by itself.

There's no reason why DX3 can't make as many new fans for the series as the number of old fans whose DX thirst it hopefully sates. :)

PlasmaSnake101
22nd Aug 2009, 01:10
Alcohol for example was already usable in DX in a good way but cigarettes were done horribly and should be changed to at least being non-harmful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

JCpies
3rd Oct 2009, 18:36
i hope that you would HAVE to smoke, or your maximum health gets lower or something. It would make sence, since Adam is a smoker.

I STILL dont get why using cigs in DX1 would deal you damage, and if you use it in a bar, everyone will try to kill you. :D

JC Denton entered the var to find a wall mounted cigarette dispenser, very since the 2030's. JC strode up to the battered machine machine and inserted 10 credits, quite a steep price but then again there was the crisis of the Grey Death and the failing economy.
'let's see if they're all they're cracked up to be.' said Denton bluntly with no emotion in his voice. He lit the cigarette on the lighter from the machine, he was new to cigarettes and started caughing he turned around just as the Augmented bar tender with ginger hair pulled the trigger and a load of buckshot hit JC dentons face cracking his glasses and ultimately killing him. JC lay on the floor blood pouring out of his wounds, 'This' said the bartender sternly 'Is what you get for disobeying the no weapons rule.'

Vlad von Sheep
5th Oct 2009, 20:03
I agree with those who want drugs/prostitution to feature subtly, but not ostentatiously, in the game. In the first Deus Ex, you saw glimpses of it, but you weren't being hit over the head with it all the time. As someone else said, Deus Ex 3 takes place in what looks like a prosperous time--construction is booming (two tiers in Shanghai?!), mechanical augmentation improves lives, etc. If people are content, they aren't likely to indulge in self-destructive behaviors in large numbers. I guess I could be wrong about that, though. People are always full of surprises; at times they implode even when life is peachy.

Hertzila
6th Oct 2009, 12:24
IIRC things are well at the start of DX3 but towards the end, things will go wrong. Horribly wrong. So it kind of makes sense to introduce self-destruction more and more the further you are in the story.

Galaxus
13th Oct 2009, 12:37

This should be included. There's nothing wrong with Prostitution. Prostitution is one of the oldest professions in human history. It's just the exchange of sexual services for money.

As for Zyme, it's part of Deus Ex I suppose.

It should be subtly present in the game world, not explicit.

Slack
26th Aug 2010, 18:25
Do you like the immersive effect that the presence of drugs in Deus Ex 1 made? Or do you think that drugs in Deus Ex are dispensable? What are your opinion?

In MY opinion things without apparent usefulness in Deus Ex just made a cool effect in game.

Khaeru
26th Aug 2010, 18:30
i think adam can't even get drunk :/

luminar
26th Aug 2010, 18:34
I think they were fun, not necessary but fun. Small details like this really added up!

Khaeru
26th Aug 2010, 18:35
Regenerating health, killing off deus ex fans one self inflicted gunshot wound at a time. Heh ironic.

lol

luminar
26th Aug 2010, 18:42
lol

Heh I just now realised Lowercase lol looks like an oldschool space invaders style spaceship!

Khaeru
26th Aug 2010, 19:12
lolz

Slack
26th Aug 2010, 19:39
Heh I just now realised Lowercase lol looks like an oldschool space invaders style spaceship!

I think luminar is using zyme vial
uahhuauhauha just kidding man really "lol" looks like a spaceship

luminar
26th Aug 2010, 20:09
Omg that is so ironic! I did not even mean to sound like a druggie. I have that problem often even though I don't do drugs.

Pinky_Powers
26th Aug 2010, 20:49
I have that problem often even though I don't do drugs.

Wise move! Me and a friend were drinking two nights ago, then we did some green and took a stroll around the back streets. We got terribly lost, and in no time at all a plague of evil dry-mouth took us. But we had no idea where we were, and so we had to suffer it. 72 hours of dry, dehydrated trudging... or so it seemed. When we finally found the house somewhere around 3am, we each drank a tall glass of ice-water. And then I threw up.

Steer clear of drugs, mate. No good will come of them.

PenguinsFriend
26th Aug 2010, 20:51
Do you like the immersive effect that the presence of drugs in Deus Ex 1 made? Or do you think that drugs in Deus Ex are dispensable? What are your opinion?

In MY opinion things without apparent usefulness in Deus Ex just made a cool effect in game.

After reading all your posts - I think you look, sound, and smell like a T R O L L.

Slack
26th Aug 2010, 21:04
so when you see that the post was made by me, just don't read =)

Dead-Eye
26th Aug 2010, 23:17
Wise move! Me and a friend were drinking two nights ago, then we did some green and took a stroll around the back streets. We got terribly lost, and in no time at all a plague of evil dry-mouth took us. But we had no idea where we were, and so we had to suffer it. 72 hours of dry, dehydrated trudging... or so it seemed. When we finally found the house somewhere around 3am, we each drank a tall glass of ice-water. And then I threw up.

Steer clear of drugs, mate. No good will come of them.

Smoking weed and drinking beer is always a disaster.

Anasumtj
26th Aug 2010, 23:29
If you're green, sure.

DeusWhatever
26th Aug 2010, 23:33
I guess in future no one even needs drugs.

There is something really creepy that may will make them obsolete. I once saw some sort of documentation about this, it is really frightning, they even testet in on animals, if i remember correctly they had the choice between a "button to eat" and a "happy button" if i remember correctly they just pushed the "happy button" until they died.

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2007-09/happiness-warm-electrode

But maybe im the only one that thinks of this as pretty creepy. Since it kind of exposes humanity.

luminar
27th Aug 2010, 00:30
Didn't they say something in game about the nanites eating the drugs or clearing it out or something. Yeah I'm not morally against drugs but I would like to be as alert as I can be for "situations" I might encounter, besides I want to be in security so drugs are out of the question. Well that and people always tell me I act like a druggie so if I were actually on drugs... I don't even want to know.

Shralla
27th Aug 2010, 03:08
Smoking weed and drinking beer is always a disaster.

I've always heard the rule of thumb is smoke then drink, not the other way around.

AxiomaticBadger
27th Aug 2010, 11:23
A couple of thoughts.

As appropriate to the renaissance feel, we shouldn't have prostitutes. We should have courtesans. Whilst the social role remains, we have overtones of elegance rather than desperation.

I agree that they should be in the game, as thier presence is extremely useful for providing the correct aesthetic. However, if they can be interacted with in a sexual manner, then this should take place off screen. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines did this with the club owner, and it worked quite well.

I have to admit I dislike rampant sex or violence in games and films simply because it detracts from the story. Films like sin city or saw, quite simply, bore the hell out of me.
If I want to see breasts on my computer, I have the Internet.

Much more interesting is romance. Romantic interests are a wonderful way to develop characters in games, whether they're npcs or the protagonist. Giving multiple choices for romance allows for a wealth of character definition, and I'd love to see this brought into more games.

Drugs, like sex workers, should exist simply to provide atmosphere. Thier actual use within the game is far more flexible. The easy way would be to use them as currency for certain npcs, with Adam unable to use them, as simple mortal drugs quake in terror before his mighty Mecha-Liver.

I can also see drugs being used in offensive capacity for sneaky players. Sneaking a vial of (Insert Drug Here) into a guard's coffee and then watch him go nuts, opening fire on his allies before collapsing in a corner would be an interesting way to make drugs present and useful whilst highlighting thier side effects.

Should Adam be able to actually imbibe narcotics then they should definately have a significant cost associated with them, whether in social interactions, XP loss or simply granting a Bad ending at the game's conclusion.

I agree everything in the game that can be used should have some use, even if it's as simply as using cigarettes to make a cloud of smoke so you can see laser tripwires.

You know what would be awesome? If, after using a prostitute, you wake up with a decent XP gain... but all of your augmentations are gone. Ice-filled bathtub FTW!

Khaeru
27th Aug 2010, 11:33
You know what would be awesome? If, after using a prostitute, you wake up with a decent XP gain... but all of your augmentations are gone. Ice-filled bathtub FTW!

lol

Xenoc
27th Aug 2010, 12:19
Bring on the Zyme!!! WooT

avenging_teabag
27th Aug 2010, 13:17
I can also see drugs being used in offensive capacity for sneaky players. Sneaking a vial of (Insert Drug Here) into a guard's coffee and then watch him go nuts, opening fire on his allies before collapsing in a corner would be an interesting way to make drugs present and useful whilst highlighting thier side effects.

Great idea but I don't know if it's technically feasible. Maybe it would be easier to turn drugs that Adam would fins into tranq ammo (via some magi-tech thingamagig).

AxiomaticBadger
27th Aug 2010, 15:00
It isn't really any different than a location-specific limpet mine.

Abram730
2nd Sep 2010, 10:37
Zyme doesn't exist yet... It's still in it's beta testing
http://www.edhf.com/beta-zyme.sfw.jpg

I couldn't resist...