PDA

View Full Version : DX3 and Renewable Energy - Montréal City Analysis

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Nov 2008, 23:51
The urban environment shows emphasis on sustainable energy - very realistic, so excellent! :thumbsup:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/statue.jpg

This scene depicts Square Phillips in Montreal, the street in front is Ste-Catherine, and the building to the left, there's a Burger King there. Check out this video for a current-day comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPaBkwqNbI

Apart from the many wind turbines, we can see that the street lights (also energy panels?) are in different positions - they are obviously solar-powered and move to capture the sun's rays.

The sky looks kind of dirty, perhaps the air pollution is high. Organic growth looks to be minimal/sparce. That would make sense.

The architecture of the DWP building looks like the windows are designed to capture light and heat.

Also, that statue in front of the building intrigues me:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc159/eternaltreasure/statue-1.jpg

Its difficult to tell, but is this a man with wing attachments? Or maybe he's holding a stylised shield and/or weapon?
Might relate to Da Vinci and his winged machine designs? Anyway, humans with the ability to fly would relate to another form of energy-efficiency transport.

Note also the lack of vehicles in the scene... makes sense if we are to consider the depletion of oil reserves. Perhaps only the rich/elite use cars. Obviously the underground system is the promoted method of getting around the city. The road surface looks like it has tram/rail tracks? Not sure, could just be the image. :scratch:

Some of the buildings look like they have some sort of tank on the roof to capture rain water... otherwise it could just be rooftop access.

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 00:03
Hard to tell what that statue is...:scratch:

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo255/GmanPro/untitled.jpg?t=1226019574

It looks like hes wearing armor of a sort but I can't tell what that is in his left hand... Maybe if we knew what that building was for (what does DWM stand for? Or is it OWM?).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 00:08
Thanks for the bigger pic. :thumbsup:

Still not sure what I'm looking at though, hehe. :D
Is there something protruding from his back?

Um, that sign could say OWM, or QWM...?

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 00:09
I think that OWM stands for Office of Waste Management which makes sense considering the rest of the picture. But how does the statue fit into it?:scratch:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 00:23
Office of Waste Management is logical, yes.

But OWM, or whatever the letters are, could relate to a fictional organisation within the game that we have yet to find out about. It is clearly much more modern in design than the other buildings around it.
Perhaps this building relates to the laborotory images we have seen? That could make the statue relevant, maybe... :scratch:

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 00:35
You think that the brick building on the right might be Comerica Park? Its a bit of a stretch I know...

http://workbench.cadenhead.org/media/comerica-park-hdr-ryan-southen.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/62/Entrance_of_Comerica_Park%2C_Detroit.jpg/800px-Entrance_of_Comerica_Park%2C_Detroit.jpg

I'm assuming its Detroit because all the writing is in English. But maybe its another city we haven't been told about...?

spm1138
7th Nov 2008, 00:40
http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OWM

Office of Weights & Measures
Office of War Mobilization

What it it's DWM for something in Detroit?

That statue intrigues me because I'm sure it's either a landmark or a story clue or both.

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 02:01
So.... some things I notice about the picture are:
-first the top left bridge appears to say something like "magnerail"?
-on the farthest left building around the third level there are faded letters that say something like cash something
-and the lower building is labeled connaught with aug in orange.

As for speculation I think It is DWM and could easily be a number of things like Detroit Waste Disposal. What I find neat about the statue is that the building is built around it. Like it used to be in a park. As to what it is, I believe it could be an angel.

VodunLoas
7th Nov 2008, 02:32
-first the top left bridge appears to say something like "magnerail"?

It says MANGERELLE. I dunno, but in french 'manger elle' means 'eat it', together may mean something else though.

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 02:42
http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/log/large/f1c7a680-f0df-408b-84b0-1d43c29d014c.jpg
Alright the closest thing I can find in relation to the statue is the Detroit Soldiers and Sailors statue. Its not exactly the same but its in the Campus Martius Plaza that looks similar in size and is a major location in Detroit so...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Soldiers_and_Sailors_Monument
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_Martius_Park

....what do you guys think?

hard to find anything on a search engine with only a picture to go by:D

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 03:49
Good job with the pic. :thumbsup:

Yeah, maybe its an angel. If only we knew officially what that building is for, then we might figure out what the statue is all about.

DXeXodus
7th Nov 2008, 03:54
It's obviously an MJ12 commando :D

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 03:56
^^
"Funny reading on this one!"

:D

VodunLoas
7th Nov 2008, 05:07
Could be the new Cadillac Centre they are building in Campus Martius Park.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Centre

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 08:56
Are we missing the obvious? :mad2:

Maybe the statue represents ICARUS ? :cool:

DXeXodus
7th Nov 2008, 09:09
That was actually my first thought. It does look like a human with wings and the Icarus reference is appropriate.

LatwPIAT
7th Nov 2008, 09:31
To me it appears to be a human in armour with a bow in one hand and a bunch of arrown in the other hand.

Lazarus Ledd
7th Nov 2008, 12:55
But what about climate wars?

Does the gloabal heating win or the new ice age theory

See BBC Earth The Climate Wars documentary =) if you can chew the ruff english accent =))
I think this topic should be included in the game, so that we don't have another discusion in the future relating DX4: "oh that never happend in DX universe" . It will obviously become a crucial part of the future. Temperature have never risen like this in human history
http://www.desmogblog.com/hockey-stick-rises-again

And DX happened only during the night, skipping from time zone to time zone it was almost the whole scandal happend in one night =)) , and i don't know which season it was...

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 14:13
^^
Yeah I remember that lol. The helicopter ride from New York to Hong Kong would take soooo long.

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 14:56
The server doesn't want me to hotlink so.....

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 15:30
Here is the closest figure I have found and it is Icarus

http://homepages.tesco.net/ian.cox99/Alfred%20Gilbert%20-%20Icarus%20(1884)%203%20views.jpg
Hopefully this server doesn't kill my hotlink :D

More info:
So apparently the statue was commisioned by Frederic Leighton and the sculptor decided to base it on Leighton's painting of Daedalus and lcarus
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2281/2237226628_d65960f032.jpg?v=0

Hope thats helpful

EDIT: The original picture broke so I put in another. I also found that the statue was on exhibit in Minneapolis if it still is I dno

spm1138
7th Nov 2008, 16:10
If it is Icarus (Icarus and Daedalus) then that could potentially be a chuffing huge clue :thumbsup:

Bluey71
7th Nov 2008, 16:43
Ye I think you just hit the nail on the head.

This thread has made me remember to ask, are there any maps planned that will be from blueprints of the real world?

imported_van_HellSing
7th Nov 2008, 16:51
Yargo, I tip my hat to you. That's pretty much a 100% hit.

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 16:53
Yargo, I tip my hat to you. That's pretty much a 100% hit.

You mean the statue, or me saying the server would kill my hotlink :D

EDIT: I think I broke their site...... whoops

imported_van_HellSing
7th Nov 2008, 17:02
The statue. Details are different, but the inspiration is obvious.

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 17:10
^^^
It took me forever to find the little ****er. I was originally looking for an existing statue in Detroit but when it was suggested by MrsP that it was Icarus I started looking through the Icarus pictures. I think the resemblance is almost uncanny.

LeatherJacket
7th Nov 2008, 17:42
Looks like a very good match. We have to wait for Rene to release the highest resolution pics they have!

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 18:56
So now that we are fairly positive the statue is Icarus. What is the DWM building?

LeatherJacket
7th Nov 2008, 19:13
Detroit Wings Maker!

Detroit Windmills Maker?

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 19:16
Detroit Weapons Manufacture?

Although that might not be a D. Could be an O.

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 19:16
Maybe "M" is "Manufacturing"?

beat me to the punch GmanPro

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 20:28
Yargo, nice find with the Icarus statue. The wing structure looks almost identical. :thumbsup:

So now that we are fairly positive the statue is Icarus.
Just to note: the statue could represent Daedalus or Icarus, as both flew with wings to escape Minos. Either way though, the symbolism remains the same; ie. Daedalus as the father/father-figure/God/Creator etc, and Icarus as the son/humans/nature etc. (The "Minos" symbolism could be related to Barrett's faction...remember the bull-head on his buckle).

The statue looks like a man in a long coat, he could be a (prominent?) leader or scientist of sorts. Whomever has the closest history/influence on Adam could be the person represented by that statue. Perhaps the statue relates to a main leader for Transhumanism? Possible....

I've collected some interesting points:
The myth of Icarus and Deadalus has spanned the ages as a story told to teach children the value of obeying their parents. (Relates to the Playing God argument/Hubris)
A story of underlying lessons, morals, and meanings that are common in Greek Mythology and pertain to modern day life.

This myth is laced with symbolism - from the wings, the sun, the ocean, to the young brash Icarus not heeding his father’s warnings. The wings are one of the more powerful symbols in the myth. The wings need to be worn by someone with a strong will. They are like drugs in our society, so addicting that a person will destroy his or her life over them. When a mortal wears the wings he is possessed by a want to continue to fly higher and finally reach Mount Olympus and the level of the gods. But the wearer cannot succumb to this desire, for the gods heavily dislike the quality of envy. Icarus just did not possess the will power to not fly higher and the gods resented this and punished him with his life. He flies higher and higher without acknowledging the powers above himself. This disrespect is also why he is punished with his life.

The flight of Icarus could be interpreted as a lesson in the value of moderation. The danger in flying "too high" (i.e. melting of the wax wings) or in flying "too low" (i.e. weighting down the wings by sea-water spray) were advocations for one to respect one's limits and to act accordingly.

Wings, in the more general sense, symbolize spirituality, imagination, thought. The Greeks portrayed love and victory as winged figures, and some deities. According to Plato, wings are a symbol of intelligence, which is why some fabulous animals are winged, depicting the sublimation of those symbolic qualities usually ascribed to each animal. It follows that the form and nature of the wings express the spiritual qualities of the symbol. Thus, the wings of night-animals express a perverted imagination, and Icarus’ wax wings stand for functional insufficiency. In Christian symbolism it is said that wings are simply the light of the sun of justice, which always illuminates the mind of the righteous. Since wings also signify mobility, this meaning combines with that of enlightenment to express the possibility of ‘progress in enlightenment’ or spiritual evolution.

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 20:43
I have a feeling that the events of DX3 are going to involve somehow the forming of the NSF and UNATCO.

Maybe Barrett represents Minos because of the bull symbol and Icarus/Daedalus is the symbol of some sort of rebellion. :scratch:

Also, Minos commissioned Daedalus to build the labyrinth with which to imprison the Minotaur. Then Theseus showed up on a quest to kill the Minotaur, and Daedalus told him the secret of the labyrinth to aid him.

This enraged Minos so much that he locked Daedalus and Icarus inside the labyrinth. So maybe AJ is working for Barret at first but later finds out that he is actually a bad guy? Reminds me of the DX1 storyline in a way.

It would seem logical considering the bull symbol that Barret symbolizes Minos...

:thumbsup:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 20:53
Detroit Wings Maker!

Detroit Windmills Maker?

Wait! :eek:

Before we go through the entire dictionary using "Detroit" as the first word... are we all absolutely certain that the "D" is, in fact, a D? :nut:
The more I look at it, it could read "O" or "Q" :scratch:

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 20:59
How do we even know it exists? Nothing is real, its all an illusion and everything is based off of assumptions and nothing is absolute.

Just kidding :D

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 21:01
Wait! :eek:

Before we go through the entire dictionary using "Detroit" as the first word... are we all absolutely certain that the "D" is, in fact, a D? :nut:
The more I look at it, it could read "O" or "Q" :scratch:

I'm fairly certain its a "D", as wells it not being a "Q". It only looks like an "O" when you zoom in and there are so few pixels.

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 21:02
Daedalus Wing Manufacture inc.

;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 21:04
Detroit Wings Maker!

Detroit Windmills Maker?

Daedalus Wing Manufacture inc.

;)

^
LOL, excellent! :D

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 21:09
^
LOL, excellent! :D

Some how I just don't think thats it.:scratch:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 21:11
Keep guessing then, its fun! :D

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 21:13
Dim-Wit Monkeys :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 21:19
LMAO. :D

Dreadful Word Maker :p

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 21:28
Dim-Wit Monkeys :rasp:

:scratch: ...

Dangerous Wild Monkeys!!!

http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/deusex2_conceptart_4mHAK.jpg

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 21:33
In Adam's apartment there is "DNN your place for news" on the tv. (Detroit News Network?)

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 21:37
I saw that too. Yeah, pretty sure that the apartment is in Detroit and AJ is from there too. :thumbsup:

Interesting choice of location... I wonder if there is some special reason why they chose Detroit? :scratch:

imported_van_HellSing
7th Nov 2008, 21:41
Home of Robocop? ;)

René
8th Nov 2008, 03:02
This thread is hardcore.

Igoe
8th Nov 2008, 05:46
Aah, I miss those days. When Alex looked cool, wild baboons with biomodifications roamed the streets, and promises of "more underwater action with accompanying enemies and augs" danced through our heads.

imported_van_HellSing
8th Nov 2008, 05:49
When Alex looked cool

When was that? :confused:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Nov 2008, 10:14
But what about climate wars?

Does the gloabal heating win or the new ice age theory

See BBC Earth The Climate Wars documentary =) if you can chew the ruff english accent =))
I think this topic should be included in the game, so that we don't have another discusion in the future relating DX4: "oh that never happend in DX universe" . It will obviously become a crucial part of the future. Temperature have never risen like this in human history
http://www.desmogblog.com/hockey-stick-rises-again

And DX happened only during the night, skipping from time zone to time zone it was almost the whole scandal happend in one night =)) , and i don't know which season it was...

Interesting, but I don't think we will really see weather problems such as severe global warming or the snowball earth theory in DX history.... the game isn't set that far into the future.

I think what would be more relevant is erratic weather and mild global warming which will probably mean a wetter environment (Gaia theory: too hot equals more cloud and rain) and air pollution.

dark_angel_7
8th Nov 2008, 10:57
Amazing picture, in the first post. Well this area be playable?

Also is Deux Ex 3 going to be free-roam (as that would be awesome!).

me.exe
8th Nov 2008, 20:14
Man, that's some great work identifying the Icarus statue. :) I wonder if there are any other "easter eggs" in the screenshots we've seen so far. The only other one I've seen discussed was Barrett's belt buckle possibly representing the Minotaur.

Eidos seem to be paying attention to the details. :D

Lazarus Ledd
9th Nov 2008, 06:40
Interesting, but I don't think we will really see weather problems such as severe global warming or the snowball earth theory in DX history.... the game isn't set that far into the future.

I think what would be more relevant is erratic weather and mild global warming which will probably mean a wetter environment (Gaia theory: too hot equals more cloud and rain) and air pollution.

From what I learned watching the documentary, people scientists thought that the climate was changing slowly between normal climate and ice age. Anaylzing the long ice poles digged up from Grenland glaciers, the thickness of the snow that would fall every year, it was concluded that the transition to an ice age was faster than it was thought, in a period of no less then a year and no more than 4or5 years. Interesting debate of sceptics and follower in the scientists community in that short series.
We think that because the Earth's atmosphere is a mamoth, that it changes slowly on a world scale, even the average temperatures, but nothing is apsolute...at least the things we don't understand fully. We can only observe the climate and gather data, but we're still far afar from simulating full envirmoment conditions in laboratories. Even the climate model are just indicators... =)

Maybe we're in for some extreme conditions here or in DX 2027 universe, but some trace should be left in the game. Something coincidental like the missing WTO towers in DX =D, London flooded, Netherland pays it taxes to nature for stealingf land from the sea so it rises it's dams around it more than it was predictes...small things...details...

Ghostdog
9th Nov 2008, 09:18
I don´t think it´s related to the story, I think it´s just a nod from the developers to the first game.

Abram730
9th Nov 2008, 10:53
From what I learned watching the documentary, people scientists thought that the climate was changing slowly between normal climate and ice age. Anaylzing the long ice poles digged up from Grenland glaciers, the thickness of the snow that would fall every year, it was concluded that the transition to an ice age was faster than it was thought, in a period of no less then a year and no more than 4or5 years. Interesting debate of sceptics and follower in the scientists community in that short series.
We think that because the Earth's atmosphere is a mamoth, that it changes slowly on a world scale, even the average temperatures, but nothing is apsolute...at least the things we don't understand fully. We can only observe the climate and gather data, but we're still far afar from simulating full envirmoment conditions in laboratories. Even the climate model are just indicators... =)

Maybe we're in for some extreme conditions here or in DX 2027 universe, but some trace should be left in the game. Something coincidental like the missing WTO towers in DX =D, London flooded, Netherland pays it taxes to nature for stealingf land from the sea so it rises it's dams around it more than it was predictes...small things...details...

Well lets see Alaska may succeed from the union and perhaps with help of Russia.

Alaska Independence Party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NK2sFJebGc

http://www.adn.com/money/story/570879.html
I like the comment "The Russian government is as corrupt as ours, however, they are at least refreshingly open about it."

While Governor Palin is gone, the Russians invade Alaska - Alaskan Dispatch
http://www.alaskadispatch.com/features/2-features/219-when-palin-was-gone-the-russians-invaded-alaska.html

Palin's criptic answer to who she thought was Jacques Chirac
"We have a lot in common also because except from my ass I can see Belgium."

Palin:-->"Well see, we are next door to countries we all need to be working with, yes."
2:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbEwKcs-7Hc
very funny and thanks for the laugh MONTREAL

VodunLoas
10th Nov 2008, 00:35
I still think it's the Cadillac centre, just being used as a different purpose than what is being planned. The statue could be of Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, the french explorer who founded Detroit.

DXeXodus
10th Nov 2008, 04:05
Quebec Wall Mart. :eek:

Jerion
10th Nov 2008, 04:49
Quebec Wall Mart. :eek:

Well, at least Wally World will survive the next 19 years.. :rolleyes:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Nov 2008, 10:34
Interesting choice of location... I wonder if there is some special reason why they chose Detroit? :scratch:

Good question. :)

On an interesting note (just for fun) I found this information:

1. The Detroit Science Centre is currently running a special exhibition - "LEONARDO DA VINCI: MAN, INVENTOR, GENIUS"
OCT. 4, 2008 - JAN. 4, 2009
http://www.sciencedetroit.org/home.htm

2. The Henry Ford Center in Detroit is also one of the highest ranked in robotic surgery, known as "Da Vinci Surgery" or the "Da Vinci System".

3. The National Center for Manufacturing Sciences in Detroit, at the Ann Arbor Research and Development Centre will head a new $170 million consortium to develop ground robotics systems for the U.S. military. The National Center for Manufacturing Sciences won the seven-year contract to establish the Robotics Technology Consortium from the U.S. Department of Defense.

Looks like there's plenty happening in Detroit. :D

gamer0004
10th Nov 2008, 15:12
In other words: random googling ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Nov 2008, 17:53
Yes, of course. :D
I was unable to connect my brain for direct download... a malfunction problem I think, sorry. :o

Spyhopping
10th Nov 2008, 18:07
Doh... Wings Melting

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Nov 2008, 18:08
^
Very apt, hehe. :D

AdamJensen
10th Nov 2008, 18:28
Doh... Wings Melting

Haha... more accurately..

Doh... Wax Melting

imported_van_HellSing
10th Nov 2008, 19:07
The Henry Ford Center in Detroit is also one of the highest ranked in robotic surgery, known as "Da Vinci Surgery" or the "Da Vinci System".

Da Vinci System?

Sounds a lot like the Leonardo Machine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw2W_Ap7m2k) :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Nov 2008, 17:06
^ Yes, indeed! :D

Yargo
18th Nov 2008, 15:09
Interesting choice of location... I wonder if there is some special reason why they chose Detroit?
I had been wondering the same thing.

Unlike Mrs. P, my random googling turned up nothing very convincing. Detroit is having a rough time now so it could just be convenient that it fits in with the cyberpunk theme. I also like the idea of the robotic surgery, but that doesn't make Detroit an authority on augmentations. I think there are other places that would be better suited for that theory.

GmanPro
18th Nov 2008, 22:20
I guess there wasn't really any specific reason why DX1 started in NY. They just thought it would be kewl. Although, looking back, they probably should have thought of a location slightly closer to Hong Kong because a helicopter flight from NY to HK would take forever.

K^2
18th Nov 2008, 22:23
I guess there wasn't really any specific reason why DX1 started in NY. They just thought it would be kewl. Although, looking back, they probably should have thought of a location slightly closer to Hong Kong because a helicopter flight from NY to HK would take forever.
Not to mention the bill for the fuel...

GmanPro
18th Nov 2008, 22:28
I always thought it was weird when the MJ12 troops pulled Jock's chopper into their little base and just ignored you. Shouldn't they have tried to run down to the hangar and put you down?

Tracer Tong
18th Nov 2008, 22:35
When was that? :confused:

Inside the tank in DX1 :p

rhalibus
20th Nov 2008, 16:35
It's obviously an MJ12 commando :D

Beat me to it. :)

Jerion
20th Nov 2008, 20:31
Not to mention the bill for the fuel...

It's funded by a secret paramilitary organization. Fuel bills are not an issue. :p

Yargo
23rd Nov 2008, 21:59
It says MANGERELLE. I dunno, but in french 'manger elle' means 'eat it', together may mean something else though.

So a much better picture of "Detroit" has been found and the writing says Passerelle! That is French for Gateway. Its also an old bridge in Europe which is less likely. So I think we had it all wrong saying this is Detroit. Maybe somewhere in France. Whats really cool is that if you look hard enough at the left side of the street you see what at first looks like a ad sign but it also has, what looks like, passerelle on it. It also lookss like the same material. So it looks like its a huge gate! Wonder why its there?

http://img.jeuxactu.com/datas/images/jeux/Deus_Ex_3/artworks/xl/491d72a65ba1b.jpg

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 22:02
Lol I just noticed the Burger place in the pic. I wonder if DX3 will have product placement? :D

Yargo
23rd Nov 2008, 22:10
Lol I just noticed the Burger place in the pic. I wonder if DX3 will have product placement? :D

Do you think its a gate?

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 22:15
I think its a place that sells burgers :thumbsup:

Mindmute
23rd Nov 2008, 22:17
So I think we had it all wrong saying this is Detroit. Maybe somewhere in France.

You could be on to something, check the ad on the burger place's window.

I can make out "Spécia.." could be french for special (spéciale).
Also "Entree" on the door in, french for entrance.

GmanPro
23rd Nov 2008, 22:19
Maybe its Montreal? :scratch: Just throwing that out there.

spm1138
23rd Nov 2008, 23:14
Isn't Detroit on/near the border with Canadia?

Jerion
23rd Nov 2008, 23:18
Detroit is fairly close to the border. :p

Although I'm starting to suspect that it's Montreal, not Detroit.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Nov 2008, 18:02
I think its a place that sells burgers :thumbsup:

Veggie-burgers, surely! :p :D

imported_van_HellSing
26th Nov 2008, 18:18
SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

GmanPro
26th Nov 2008, 19:59
^^
lol. you should spoiler tag that :lol:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
2nd Feb 2009, 14:08
Detroit is fairly close to the border. :p

Although I'm starting to suspect that it's Montreal, not Detroit.

Still thinking the same? :)

Sabretooth1
2nd Feb 2009, 15:22
I always thought it was Montreal in that pic, not Detroit. It says "Passerelle (sp?)" on one of the bridges, and iirc bridges in France are designated as that. That's my hunch at any rate. :p

Jerion
2nd Feb 2009, 16:00

No, I think it's Montréal now. :p

RandomJunkie
3rd Feb 2009, 00:16
OK i saw this pic and I can assure you it IS Montreal. It is Square Phillips in Montreal, the street in front is Ste-Catherine, and the building to the left, there's a Burger King there. The statue, the building, everything fits, ill try to find an actual pic.

Photo of the statue and building :

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/5019074.jpg

more proof : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPaBkwqNbI

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Feb 2009, 11:26
^
Very convincing... yes. :cool:

Jerion
4th Feb 2009, 11:29
OK i saw this pic and I can assure you it IS Montreal. It is Square Phillips in Montreal, the street in front is Ste-Catherine, and the building to the left, there's a Burger King there. The statue, the building, everything fits, ill try to find an actual pic.

Photo of the statue and building :

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/5019074.jpg

more proof : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPaBkwqNbI

Very nice find! I've updated the first post.

jordan_a
4th Feb 2009, 12:17
Actually we've known it's Montréal's St Catherine street for at least a month now! :D I posted pictures of the Burger King with the barber on the first floor somewhere.

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!
:thumb:

Jerion
4th Feb 2009, 12:21
^^

That's what I get for not paying attention. :p

Spyhopping
4th Feb 2009, 13:31
It's still cool to see the video of the area, gives you a good feel for it.

I'm intrigued as to how this game will handle crowds. At the same time as wanting the areas to be 'alive' I think it's important to be able to sufficiently interact with all of the NPC's. Surely most people get nothing out of watching a bunch of zombies walk around.

GmanPro
4th Feb 2009, 17:19
^^ Except for maybe Left 4 Dead zombies ... :whistle:

PugPug
4th Feb 2009, 21:03
Renewable energy, signs of a future environmental catastrophe, veggie burgers, and art in the streets?

I can hear a certain radio talk show host already, whining about the vast video game-maker conspiracy to brainwash our nation's youth.

RandomJunkie
4th Feb 2009, 21:11
As a Montrealer I'm very excited to play this game and walk around the downtown area in stealth mode. I expect to see many hobos (lol) and I hope it will have the same feeling I had when I played the Hell's Kitchen in NY. I wonder if this is only an artwork, or they'll really use Montreal downtown area, and which portions of it. Ste-Catherine is good street to use, with bars, strips clubs with huge neon lightning, very night life, kinda like the level in Hong Kong.

It would be cool if they decided to use the Olympic Stadium. It looks very futuristic (from the outside....).

itsalladream
5th Feb 2009, 00:00
Detroit Wins Montreal

FrankCSIS
5th Feb 2009, 00:10
I expect to see many hobos

Don't forget the drug dealers and the whores! Only if it's in the summer time though. I don't seem to be proposed crack or a bad lay when it's this cold outside.

Man I love this town.

GmanPro
5th Feb 2009, 00:31
^^ Yeah! Instant immersion. Though you gotta be careful not to have too many models that look the same. It didn't seem that big of a deal in DX1, but I couldn't help but notice it in the Witcher.

RandomJunkie
5th Feb 2009, 00:32
Yea they should recreate the Berri station area :P

Necros
27th Feb 2009, 07:52
^^ Yeah! Instant immersion. Though you gotta be careful not to have too many models that look the same. It didn't seem that big of a deal in DX1, but I couldn't help but notice it in the Witcher.
They've fixed that with the Enhanced Edition (whatch this (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39962.html)). :cool: Those devs and their publisher are awesome, I have huge respect for them. :worship: Let's hope we'll be able to say the same about Eidos Montreal when DX3 is released. :)

And yeah, it is DWM and I bet it's important, same with the three dots next to it. But I'm also sure we won't find out on our own. Maybe we'll get more clues later.

http://i43.tinypic.com/fxumax.jpg

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Mar 2009, 13:35
And yeah, it is DWM and I bet it's important, same with the three dots next to it. But I'm also sure we won't find out on our own. Maybe we'll get more clues later.

Yeah, meanwhile I'm enjoying the guesswork / suggestions for "DWM". :D
As for the logo (3 dots and lines)... mmm, well just for fun, the fact that there are 3 dots could have a symbolic reference? Triad or trinity: unity of body, mind and spirit, perhaps?

Jerion
4th Mar 2009, 13:42
Department of Welfare Management? :nut:

Capital_G
5th Mar 2009, 20:24
Don't forget the drug dealers and the whores! Only if it's in the summer time though. I don't seem to be proposed crack or a bad lay when it's this cold outside.

Man I love this town.

Hum, it would be cool to visit montréal two different times, one in summer, the other during winter, what other places does have those two extremes with such level of difference ? ( I mean 30 to -40 celcius degree )

FrankCSIS
6th Mar 2009, 00:20
Haha, definitely. How is it Springsteen sings it, girls in their summer clothes? That's one experience that would surely change from one season to the other, should we play in Montreal twice.

René
6th Mar 2009, 15:51
It's pretty crazy here. There's about two weeks of Spring and Fall each year but it basically goes from "way too freaking cold" to "way too freaking hot" almost instantly. Hehe.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Mar 2009, 01:18
Just imagine how nice it will be in the future to wear nano-fabric that keep you warm when its cold, and cool when its hot. :cool:

FrankCSIS
7th Mar 2009, 01:20
So long as it doesn't make the fabulous Montreal April mini skirts obsolete, I'm all for it :rasp:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Mar 2009, 01:21
Yes, of course. :D

GmanPro
29th Mar 2009, 08:49
Probably not the best thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. So while we are on the subject of atoms and physics ... what do you guys think about cold fusion?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j2QobOQnlULUZ7oalSRUVjnlHjng

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Mar 2009, 08:56
All I know of it is that it will be considered the "Holy Grail" of energy resource... once we have it (if we can have it) in our grasp. :)

GmanPro
29th Mar 2009, 09:05
I wonder if EM will remove those wind turbines from their maps if this stuff is for real.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Mar 2009, 09:09
No, no... cold fusion isn't cracked yet.
Wind turbines should stay - problems with air pollution as well as power management will remain with us for a good while yet, I think. :)

GmanPro
29th Mar 2009, 09:12
Depends. We are talking 20 years from now after all.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Mar 2009, 09:17
Sure but even if they've cracked it by then, those turbines will remain part of the landscape for a while and probably still utilised.

EDIT:
Guess this discussion should be here:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=82188&page=5

EDIT AGAIN:
I've moved this discussion to correct thread. Efficient or what?! :D

GmanPro
29th Mar 2009, 09:20
Okok but there could be some conversations or data cubes etc that reference some sort of ongoing global energy crisis, which is what I'm really talkin about.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Mar 2009, 09:23
Yes, absolutely! :cool:

K^2
29th Mar 2009, 09:34
Probably not the best thread, but I didn't want to start a new one. So while we are on the subject of atoms and physics ... what do you guys think about cold fusion?

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5j2QobOQnlULUZ7oalSRUVjnlHjng
Most likely bogus. Cold Fusion is real, there is no doubt. But that has been state of things for at least 30 years. Anyone who makes it sound like something new isn't worth listening to. Of course, it's the press who made a "sensation" out of it.

The problem is the rate of reaction. It's very difficult to get a good rate at low temperatures. You can achieve CF at good rates, but the only known catalysts are Muons and Tau particles. They don't live very long, and reactions producing them tend to be more exciting than hydrogen fusion. All other attempts to speed up reaction ended up requiring far more energy than is produced.

Most likely, hydrogen fusion as power source will be achieved via Tokamaks. Scientists are close to breaking even on these. That's anything but cold, though. The idea is essentially building and containing a little Sun. We know that hydrogen fusion in the Sun works, so the challenge is in confining it without wasting too much energy. So far, solution has been to build bigger. You get more energy out of it and you waste less. There is no question that it will work. Right now, it simply is nowhere near being profitable. Solar and wind energy are much more marketable and will probably stay that way for a few decades.

GmanPro
29th Mar 2009, 09:40
http://i43.tinypic.com/fxumax.jpg

You know, that statue almost looks like it is holding parchment and a quill. And holding them like they are shields or weapons ... interesting :hmm:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Mar 2009, 10:53
Parchment and quill, shields and weapons? :confused:
They are just wings. :)

K^2
29th Mar 2009, 22:08
They are just wings. :)
QFT

Bluey71
29th Mar 2009, 22:44
Most likely bogus. Cold Fusion is real, there is no doubt. But that has been state of things for at least 30 years. Anyone who makes it sound like something new isn't worth listening to. Of course, it's the press who made a "sensation" out of it.

The problem is the rate of reaction. It's very difficult to get a good rate at low temperatures. You can achieve CF at good rates, but the only known catalysts are Muons and Tau particles. They don't live very long, and reactions producing them tend to be more exciting than hydrogen fusion. All other attempts to speed up reaction ended up requiring far more energy than is produced.

Most likely, hydrogen fusion as power source will be achieved via Tokamaks. Scientists are close to breaking even on these. That's anything but cold, though. The idea is essentially building and containing a little Sun. We know that hydrogen fusion in the Sun works, so the challenge is in confining it without wasting too much energy. So far, solution has been to build bigger. You get more energy out of it and you waste less. There is no question that it will work. Right now, it simply is nowhere near being profitable. Solar and wind energy are much more marketable and will probably stay that way for a few decades.

Im not sure I would be as quick to call it (poss)bogus. Pons and Fleichmann were onto something back in '89. Their method was reproduced across the globe by different institutions, but proved to be unreliable.
Then of course you have MIT's reaction - somewhat of an over-reaction imo.
The fact that Pons and Fleichmann's results could be reproduced at all should have been enough to galvanize MIT and other national research organisations, into further study.

The link you have given is similar to one I had linked to me on another board.
You can see the argument Im putting forward on that board - and to be honest, Im not satisfied with any answers Im getting atm.

Link: http://focusmag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9981099123/m/35910484

Funny somebody should bring Cold Fusion up here, I have been thinking about adding to the conspiracy theory thread.

Pyronox
4th Apr 2009, 00:45
It's pretty crazy here. There's about two weeks of Spring and Fall each year but it basically goes from "way too freaking cold" to "way too freaking hot" almost instantly. Hehe.

Don't get me started. I'm in the Decarie tropics zone...

Wet winter, wet summer. Well, at least it impedes the LARPers sundays on Mont Royal.

When the world dies from massive heat wave and the sub-oceanic currents change, we'll become today's California. Or something. Point is, we'll be alive and for once not have to soak ourselves in cold water, like in that Riddic movie part on the lava planet, just to cross the street.