PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Version Camera Control

Burasuta
6th Nov 2008, 09:41
I have been a huge Tomb Rider fan since the 1st Tomb Raider was released way back in 1996 on the Sega Saturn ( I bought a system when Tomb Raider came out).
Over the years I have developed a pet peeve about games in general; that pet peeve is camera control. After playing the demo on Xbox 360 I've noticed there is no option to switch your view to 1st person view allowing the player to see what is directly in front of them. As with many other games, this becomes a huge issue when standing on a ledge with your back to a wall. without this 1st person view option, it is impossible to see what is directly in front of the character. More times than not... this leaves you with no other choice, but to make a blind jump.
I was really looking forward to buying Tomb Raider: UnderWorld. However, in an attempt to save myself from a lot of frustration. I'm afraid I may have to pass on this game, unless a patch is released to fix the camera issue.
If I may be so bold to make a suggestion. I've noticed the LB button on the Xbox 360 controller seems to have no real function. How hard would it be to patch the game allowing use of the LB button to allow a 1st person view while standing stationary in the game. I've seen this method used in many other games. you'd be surprised on how many camera frustration issues this small addition can remove from ones gameplay experience.

brianthedog
6th Nov 2008, 15:29
Yes. I had the same problem at the very start of the level, when you make the first jumps. I have learnt from TRL and TRA that If there is no other way, then it is where you can't see. It works fine.

Hopefully I play the demo on PC, so increasing the sensitivity a bit and moving the mouse quickliy, makes it easy to alter the camera. It has saved me, but as I have played TRs on PS2 too I can understand your problem.

All in all, the camera and the animations are dramatically awful. CD, I'm very disappointed in you as far as the above are concerned, Other than that, I try to enjoy the game and don't think of the bad things. Do so, guys. Don't try to find defects. Just play...

Treeble
6th Nov 2008, 15:47
How hard would it be to patch the game allowing use of the LB button to allow a 1st person view while standing stationary in the game. I've seen this method used in many other games. you'd be surprised on how many camera frustration issues this small addition can remove from ones gameplay experience.

Isn't that exactly what clicking the right analogue stick does? The camera moves over to Lara's shoulder to what's called 'manual aim' mode.

Burasuta
7th Nov 2008, 03:30
After playing the demo again, I did notice, in some of the area's where the camera is an issue, if you dont touch the controls for a few seconds the camera does auto zoom out for a better view of a blind jump. In the demo though, there are only a few places to test the camera, so I am still concerened about some of the more closed in locations where the camera won't have the room to zoom out as is does on the first two blind jump's. Kinda makes me wish I were a tester and had access to more of the games area's lol.
Oh and from what I've seen, clicking the right stick does lock Lara in an over shoulder view, but it does nothing while standing on a ledge with your back to a wall.

cgtombraider
7th Nov 2008, 04:10
I have been a huge Tomb Rider fan since the 1st Tomb Raider was released way back in 1996 on the Sega Saturn ( I bought a system when Tomb Raider came out).
Over the years I have developed a pet peeve about games in general; that pet peeve is camera control. After playing the demo on Xbox 360 I've noticed there is no option to switch your view to 1st person view allowing the player to see what is directly in front of them. As with many other games, this becomes a huge issue when standing on a ledge with your back to a wall. without this 1st person view option, it is impossible to see what is directly in front of the character. More times than not... this leaves you with no other choice, but to make a blind jump.
I was really looking forward to buying Tomb Raider: UnderWorld. However, in an attempt to save myself from a lot of frustration. I'm afraid I may have to pass on this game, unless a patch is released to fix the camera issue.
If I may be so bold to make a suggestion. I've noticed the LB button on the Xbox 360 controller seems to have no real function. How hard would it be to patch the game allowing use of the LB button to allow a 1st person view while standing stationary in the game. I've seen this method used in many other games. you'd be surprised on how many camera frustration issues this small addition can remove from ones gameplay experience.

tomb raider is not a first person game!

Burasuta
7th Nov 2008, 13:18
tomb raider is not a first person game!

Most Good 3rd person shoots have an option for a stationary 1st person view to resolve camera issue's

I wasn't suggesting the ability to play through the entire game in 1st person mode, just have the ability to look directly throught he characters eyes at certain points, to get a better view of whats directly in front of the character, mainly in area's where the camera is unable to swing directly behind the character.