PDA

View Full Version : "Fan" bashing.

Sataine
23rd Jan 2014, 18:49
Ok, read the articles in the new blog entry. And I am just absolutely repulsed by the people in the comments section of the game article by Game Informer. I mean they are terribly misinformed. That is probably largely in part due to Game Informer and the fact that the people there claiming to be in the alpha didn't actually bother to read the blog lore posts or anything else for that matter.

As a huge, if not the biggest, Legacy of Kain fan I am disgusted with my fellow gamers. I have my doubts about Nosgoth, but I am not going to outright disparage it. Any press is good press for the IP in my eyes. While I have yet to actually play, the game looks phenomenal on its own. These overzealous lot perturb me. I suppose I'm posting because I had to tell somebody. Well, people who would actually care anyway. And you all may not.

I hope you guys will consider giving the game an opening, voiced narrative that sets the stage for Nosgoth. I think such a small move like that would re-educate the ignorant and make people realize this is, in fact, taking place in the realm Legacy of Kain resides in.

Also, I wasn't sure if this would go here or in Off-Topic. If it belongs there, by all means, send me to the Pit! ;)

Driber
23rd Jan 2014, 19:06
You mean this one (http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nosgoth/b/pc/archive/2014/01/21/vampires-and-humans-are-still-not-getting-along.aspx)?

Heh, that's mild. You should've seen some of the comments when Nosgoth was announced last summer :whistle:

MasterFurbz
23rd Jan 2014, 19:22
It's pretty much human nature to attack things that fit outside of their respective familiarity. "Fans" are some of the most fickle people you can ever meet. Just look at any hardcore sporting fan who goes completely mental when "they lost" a game.

The best thing to do is to ignore the wailing and gnashing of teeth, and instead focus on helping to make this an awesome game. Once the game is closer to release it's up to marketing to brush past any white noise and demonstrate the product for what it is.

Sataine
23rd Jan 2014, 19:22
That's the one. You may even see me on there, Arthur-Sataine, defending it. I'm just fortunate my rage has been tamed over the years. A younger version of myself would have exploded on those people. And I'm glad I didn't read the comments from last summer. Though I wish I had been around because I want to support this game as fully as I am capable.

EDIT: Great points, Furbz. I know in my heart of hearts Nosgoth will succeed. And I'll do anything allowed to see it so. And I dearly hope it jars Square Enix into finalizing a solid story entry to the series. I see all the time the internet spouting "the single player game is dead." They are completely incorrect. Tons of titles on console have gripping and engaging single player experiences. And that trend isn't even close to dying.

Wow, I sort of just changed the topic. Did not intend for that.

kingcann
23rd Jan 2014, 19:49
i will say i was hesitant at first but after playing a few rounds i feel the tone is perfect. i think one of the main issues fans bring up is that razeils clan was supposedly wiped out, im cool with there being a few of them that escaped persecution and living on (even in there devolved stake brought on by stressfull living) BUT and its a big but why would they then decide hey lets rejoin the vampires like nothing ever happend?

ZeroFernir
23rd Jan 2014, 20:18
Yeah, well... I am one of those who, in the begining wasn't confident about Nosgoth but (sorry Dev team, I was too exited to wait!) after playing it 2~3 times, found out why it may have been a nice idea. The lore on the blog posts is well written (even thought I do not buy the razielim's skin changes and other things) and the game itself is SUPER COOL to play. And they announced our claws, so there is little thing left to do, in my opinion. New game modes, the rest of the clans and new scenarios would be great, together with new skins and new abilities.
But the series were never dead for me. Since I am part of Blood Omnicide project, I never stopped seeing Kain's face again and again.

Vampmaster
23rd Jan 2014, 20:20
i will say i was hesitant at first but after playing a few rounds i feel the tone is perfect. i think one of the main issues fans bring up is that razeils clan was supposedly wiped out, im cool with there being a few of them that escaped persecution and living on (even in there devolved stake brought on by stressfull living) BUT and its a big but why would they then decide hey lets rejoin the vampires like nothing ever happend?

Remember this is about 700-800 years before Raziel emerged from the abyss. Depending on how many there were to start with, their extermination could take a very long time.

Nothing official has ever been about the size or population of Nosgoth other the fact that it was big enough for an entire empire. Soul Reaver 1 would only have been a few miles across if it was exactly to scale and Blood Omen would have been a few dozen times bigger.

mappalazarou
23rd Jan 2014, 21:02
Remember this is about 700-800 years before Raziel emerged from the abyss. Depending on how many there were to start with, their extermination could take a very long time.

Nothing official has ever been about the size or population of Nosgoth other the fact that it was big enough for an entire empire. Soul Reaver 1 would only have been a few miles across if it was exactly to scale and Blood Omen would have been a few dozen times bigger.

Also let's not forget that the Razielim were trapped beneath Nosgoth for centuries after Raziel's execution, where their memories of the surface world may have become faded.

All they wanted was to return to the surface and - once they did - the humans had risen up to be a very prominent threat again in their absence. It's also the reason the Razielim look very devolved, as Raziel's evolution was actually kind of beautiful in comparison to the other Brethren in Kain's entourage. The Razielim were trapped underground, and became more like winged warlocks with bleached, bat-like skin.

Also, remember that it was the Brethren who ordered the extinction of the Razielim. The vampires fighting the humans for Nosgoth, although loyal to their respective clan, have other problems to deal with now. Times have changed, etc.

IKathaarI
3rd Feb 2014, 02:29
I'm disappointed in the reception for this game but it's to be expected, it's the equivalent to the next Call of Duty being a JRPG. (my god, could you even imagine?) And even though I was let down that this would be strictly multiplayer and not story-driven (upfront anyway, there is PLENTY of juicy backstory in the blogs, just a matter of putting that in the GAME.) I'm chomping at the bit to play it, because in the end, it's still a LoK game, and i'm going to play it, and i'm going to enjoy it, because i'll see all the tiny nostalgia-triggering nuances in the game, and that's all I need.

and yeah, any press for this IP is good press. Nosgoth can be a roaring success and SE will definitely want to cash in on that. Only next time around it could be a direct sequel to the current storyline.