PDA

View Full Version : Chewing the scenery

spm1138
5th Nov 2008, 17:09
So I've been replaying DX and IW to get in the mood kinda thing and one thing I really notice is how evil the bad guys sound.

Not all of the characters (JC sounds like he abuses prescription tranquillizers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGX0upX-2EU&feature=related) for example) but just the big bad in each game (even if you could take sides with the big bad in IW).

They're really hammy and theatrical.

Will this be continued in DX3?

Yargo
5th Nov 2008, 19:58
I'm not quite sure I understand the thread title, but I think people should sound normal unless they have some abnormality like a modified voice(MJ12 Commandos). I think making people sound normal would complement the whole gray struggle that is DX. It would make it even more fun to choose the preferred path. Evil sounding bad guys are too story book. They gray area is one of the things that made deus ex so great. Everyone thinks they are doing the right thing.

spm1138
5th Nov 2008, 20:00
It's when an actor totally overacts.

http://www.theatrecrafts.com/glossary/pages/chewingthescenery.html

Typically you see this kind of thing from someone who is playing an over the top villain.

Bluey71
5th Nov 2008, 20:01
I dont remember the name now, but the guy who played the voice for Bob Page in DX1 - that was quality voice acting!!

Yargo
5th Nov 2008, 20:06
It's when an actor totally overacts.

http://www.theatrecrafts.com/glossary/pages/chewingthescenery.html

Typically you see this kind of thing from someone who is playing an over the top villain.

Ahh.... I see. I didn't think Bob Page was too over the top. Walter Simmons was also pretty good. Come to think of it I don't recall much of an evil voice except from Page. :scratch:

LatwPIAT
5th Nov 2008, 20:17
The way I saw it, all of the villians in Deus Ex were eerily normal. I had the advantage of skipping the intro by accident, so I didn't know that Page and Simons were the main antagonists. Sure, there is something creepy about Simon's monotone, but he was a nice, sociable guy who commented on my good work on a mission. Bob Page was a philanthropist, and I wasn't quite sure who he was before he started talking to me over the comlink, and when he did that, he sounded like he really hated me, not just like he always spoke like that.

Intresting Fact: The main villians are Bob Page and Walter Simons, supported by Howard Shore. The neutral or good guys are DuClare, Denton, Chad, "Tracer Tong" Daedalus, Helios, "Jock" and a variety of somewhat strange names. It gives the villians that "just a normal guy" effect, which was absolutley great. If you had to guess, which one of these sound more evil "Lucius DeBeers" or "Bob Page?"

Yargo
5th Nov 2008, 20:26
Some of the best stories are the ones where you "KNOW" who the bad guy is until you figure out that they aren't.:D Bioshock The voice acting helps a lot in achieving that illusion.

GmanPro
5th Nov 2008, 22:37
Quality voice acting is essential. But not only that, I really hope that EM doesn't pull an Oblivion here and have only a dozen voice actors for hundreds of NPCs. Bethesda at least corrected itself in Fallout 3. They have much for diversity in the voice acting, not just more actors but they also make an attempt to sound different.

I almost wish that games wouldn't have so much voice-over recordings for everyone. I imagined the Fallout 1 and 2 NPC's to be much more badass and cool sounding than what I heard in Fallout 3.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Nov 2008, 23:23
Just have to say, I love the thread title... very abstract. :D

spm1138
6th Nov 2008, 02:11
It must just have been me picturing Bob Page twirling his moustache in those last couple of levels then :D

Everyone thinks they are doing the right thing.

Even in DX2, the head of the Templars verged ever so slightly on Skeletor territory.

murphy7801
6th Nov 2008, 03:30
yer the head of the templars was bit like skellitor but less gay (in the homosexual way(before you criticize watch a clip of skellitor then you will see with adult eyes))
also another great thing about the villains in dx 1 was they all thought they where right and not actually evil that you where bad guy. Also who was that guy go back to his lab and got the early version of Daedalus and old boss frozen in cryro. not that guy one creepiest because seems so nice on the surface really stone cold self serving bastard!

Jerion
6th Nov 2008, 03:46
yer the head of the templars was bit like skellitor but less gay (in the homosexual way(before you criticize watch a clip of skellitor then you will see with adult eyes))
also another great thing about the villains in dx 1 was they all thought they where right and not actually evil that you where bad guy. Also who was that guy go back to his lab and got the early version of Daedalus and old boss frozen in cryro. not that guy one creepiest because seems so nice on the surface really stone cold self serving bastard!

Uh, you mean Everett?

murphy7801
6th Nov 2008, 03:47
yes

Jerion
6th Nov 2008, 03:58
I don't think the voice acting was overdone- I think it was spot-on. I thought PAge was very mastermind-villain-ish: a little close to over-the-top but not quite too far. Simon's voice acting was perfect: Cold, contemptuous, merciless, and sometimes downright creepy. :D

DXeXodus
6th Nov 2008, 04:04
The voice acting in Deus Ex (not so much the foreign accents) was excellent IMO. The voices were diverse and actually pulled you deeper into conversations. I really didn't find them to be "over the top, classic evil villain voices either to be honest. But there is nothing wrong with a slight evil flavour to our baddies. :)

GmanPro
6th Nov 2008, 04:43
Personally, I always thought that the best bad guys were always the "lawful evil" kind of characters, you know? Like Serevok and Irenicus from the Baldur's Gate series. They were both sort of refined and intelligent, and not just crazy and violently evil. Bob Page was a good villain I thought, and so was Walton Simons. The voice acting goes a long way to establishing the feel of a good villain.

spm1138
6th Nov 2008, 04:53
The voice acting in Deus Ex (not so much the foreign accents) was excellent IMO. The voices were diverse and actually pulled you deeper into conversations. I really didn't find them to be "over the top, classic evil villain voices either to be honest. But there is nothing wrong with a slight evil flavour to our baddies. :)

I dunno if I'd go that far.

Pretty good I'd agree with.

As I said JC always sounds a bit stoned.

A bomb :|

GmanPro
6th Nov 2008, 05:00
Dude, the whole point of JC's monotone voice was that he was modified to not feel any sort of fear or anxiety so that he can operate with a cool head even under extreme stress, that sort of thing. I personally liked that voice acting, I thought JC was awesome, walking around in his trenchcoat, wearing sun glassed at night (cause his vision is augmented :D ), and sounding like he means business.

I thought the dude from IW sounded too wimpy. Like a teenager all unsure of himself.

DXeXodus
6th Nov 2008, 07:29
I thought the dude from IW sounded too wimpy. Like a teenager all unsure of himself.

That's why on my most recent playthrough of Invisible War I decided to play as the female Alex.

jordan_a
6th Nov 2008, 09:08
Fallout 3.I have three tests to pass by december please don't talk about this. :lol:

Lazarus Ledd
6th Nov 2008, 11:13
Some of the best stories are the ones where you "KNOW" who the bad guy is until you figure out that they aren't.:D Bioshock The voice acting helps a lot in achieving that illusion.

Chaser

ZylonBane
6th Nov 2008, 17:41
The way I saw it, all of the villians in Deus Ex were eerily normal. I had the advantage of skipping the intro by accident, so I didn't know that Page and Simons were the main antagonists. Sure, there is something creepy about Simon's monotone, but he was a nice, sociable guy who commented on my good work on a mission.
I agree completely. Well, almost completely... Simons is kind of a d`ck when you mention his position being a desk job. But it's true he doesn't come across as evil until much later in the game. Ditto for for Anna Navarre-- she initially comes across as merely very professional and serious about her job. Kind of cute, too, under all those augs.

This is, incidentally, exactly why I've been such a harsh critic of HDTP's updated Simons and Navarre character models. They've given both of them these cartoonishly over-the-top "LOOK HOW EVIL I AM!" faces. Instead of allowing new players to meet these characters and eventually discover for themselves that they're very bad people, HDTP just ham-fistedly slaps you in the face with it. Considering that unraveling who you can and can't trust is one of the core themes of DX, it can be argued that, in this respect, HDTP actually makes DX a lesser game.

MaxxQ1
6th Nov 2008, 20:59
Personally, I always thought that the best bad guys were always the "lawful evil" kind of characters, you know? Like Serevok and Irenicus from the Baldur's Gate series. They were both sort of refined and intelligent, and not just crazy and violently evil. Bob Page was a good villain I thought, and so was Walton Simons. The voice acting goes a long way to establishing the feel of a good villain.

Sarevok = Uncredited Michael Dorn (Worf, Fallout 2)

Jon Irenicus = David Warner (Tron - Dillinger, Sark, Voice of MCP, Time After Time - Jack the Ripper, etc)

And yes, they were perfect voices for their roles, if slightly over the top.

More like nibbling the scenery...:D

jordan_a
6th Nov 2008, 23:11
Jon Irenicus = David Warner (Tron - Dillinger, Sark, Voice of MCP, Time After Time - Jack the Ripper, etc)He was great.

Mr. Perfect
7th Nov 2008, 00:51
I had the advantage of skipping the intro by accident, so I didn't know that Page and Simons were the main antagonists. Sure, there is something creepy about Simon's monotone, but he was a nice, sociable guy who commented on my good work on a mission. Bob Page was a philanthropist, and I wasn't quite sure who he was before he started talking to me over the comlink, and when he did that, he sounded like he really hated me, not just like he always spoke like that.

Wow. I kind of wish I had been able to play like that too. It must have been a lot more suspenseful, as well as more shocking, when you don't know who the bad guys really are.

Maybe Eidos can take advantage of such a cool trick in 3? :)

Romeo
7th Nov 2008, 02:39

Yeah, despite everyone's unfounded hate for that game, hands down, BioShock had one of the best plot twists/betreyals of any game,

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 02:45
Yeah, despite everyone's unfounded hate for that game, hands down, BioShock had one of the best plot twists/betreyals of any game,

lol, I had the spoiler warning there for a reason. But my room-mate jokingly nailed the twist on the head early in the game. I was like WTF man.:D

ZylonBane
7th Nov 2008, 03:18
You haven't played System Shock 2, have you?

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 03:45
^^
Ahh system shock... Good times. :)

René
7th Nov 2008, 03:59
You haven't played System Shock 2, have you?

I did. The spiders frightened me. I hate spiders.

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 04:01
So what ever happened to the great guys from Looking Glass Studios? It never ceases to amaze me that good game companies like interplay and looking glass go out of business but crap games like Madden continue to sell like hot cakes.

LatwPIAT
7th Nov 2008, 06:49
So what ever happened to the great guys from Looking Glass Studios? It never ceases to amaze me that good game companies like interplay and looking glass go out of business but crap games like Madden continue to sell like hot cakes.

Money.

Doesn't matter how much you game decends from heaven and delivers us into the promised land, if EA can sell games ten-fold over because they appeal to the incredibly simplistic common man, they will buy out the saviour of computer games himself.

EDIT EDIT EDIT
Well, maybe not "smaller essay" but explanation, anyways; The ordinary man is suprisingly simple to us interlectual types. He is a fascinating creature. He, or in some cases, she, has a simple mind that is easily entertained by various forms of violence and sex. A fight scene or a sex scene, or even cheesecake is plentyful to entertain him. He doesn't admit it, but his brain does in fact turn off while entertaining itself, and the less he has to think while watching violence and sex, the more enjoyment he gets. He recieves interlectual stimulation from time to time from twist endings that us interlectual people found obvious from the begining. Because the ordinary man is a majority of the world, much media is suited for him and not us. Consequently, simple violent movies with a mandatory sex scene will gross more money from ordinary men than an interlectual movie ever will.

Basically, because us people who like having out brains ****ed out by games, TV series and movies are a minority, we don't give as much money to the companies that produce such, so it is more economically safe to make a generic WWIII shooter or a action movie than it is to make the next Deus Ex, System Shock, Blader Runner or Serial Experiments Lain (However, GitS, which is amazingly heavy on the brain, has grossed quite a lot. Might have something to do with that the people who watch are mostly geeks or nerds of some sort to begin with, so they have a higher interlectual tollerance.)

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 14:20
wow...

I'm an intellectual yay!! :D

imported_van_HellSing
7th Nov 2008, 14:32

So have you actually played System Shock 2? Because the twist is exactly the same.

POLITO IS SHODAN!

ATLAS IS FONTAINE!

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 14:36
(However, GitS, which is amazingly heavy on the brain, has grossed quite a lot. Might have something to do with that the people who watch are mostly geeks or nerds of some sort to begin with, so they have a higher interlectual tollerance.)

I had never heard of GiTS before this forum so thats my reason for not having watched it sooner. :D Great series/ movies :thumbsup:

ZylonBane
7th Nov 2008, 15:57
So have you actually played System Shock 2? Because the twist is exactly the same.

DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER!

ROSEBUD IS A SLED!

Wow, even the spoiler tags on this forum don't work right. I can clearly read the supposedly spoil-protected text without highlighting it.

Jerion
7th Nov 2008, 16:01
Wow, even the spoiler tags on this forum don't work right. I can clearly read the supposedly spoil-protected text without highlighting it.

Blame the color scheme. It looks neat but it's got it's share of problems. ;)

spm1138
7th Nov 2008, 16:11
GiTS

If you didn't already watch season 2 of the TV show.

It's probably the best thing anyone has ever done with something written by Masamune Shirow.

Heh. Ghost In The Shell should be compulsory viewing for DX fans.

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 16:23
If you didn't already watch season 2 of the TV show.

It's probably the best thing anyone has ever done with something written by Masamune Shirow.

Heh. Ghost In The Shell should be compulsory viewing for DX fans.

I watched the original movie par suggestion, on Netflix. Then got hooked and watched all of the series and movies:D

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 19:21

POLITO IS SHODAN!

ATLAS IS FONTAINE!

I totally saw both coming from a mile away...

But KotOR's twist, surprisingly, I wasn't expecting.

Yargo
7th Nov 2008, 19:26
I totally saw both coming from a mile away...

But KotOR's twist, surprisingly, I wasn't expecting.

I liked KotoR1 a lot and I think DX3 could use some of its ideas. Kotor2 was fine play-wise (almost if not exactly the same as the original) but the plot stunk.

GmanPro
7th Nov 2008, 20:24
I thought the plot was quite good in KotOR 2.

It was a little bit unpolished, especially at the very end, but that wasn't Obsidian's fault really. They were being rushed to get the game out I heard.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Nov 2008, 20:43

I'll find out if Admin can alter the default colour and make the bar a darker blue. :thumbsup:

ZylonBane
7th Nov 2008, 21:24
I'll find out if Admin can alter the default colour and make the bar a darker blue. :thumbsup:
Don't attack the darkness. The problem is that the background color doesn't match the text color.

Abram730
10th Nov 2008, 10:35
I did. The spiders frightened me. I hate spiders.

I always loved spiders... I'd feed them ants and such as a kid.

I've also never been bit by one.. I even had an invasion on year.. a few hundred to be exact.. My friend who is terrified of spiders was crashing over that night didn't fair so well. The next day he looked like he'd played naked splatball...lmao

It was a trip. Mosquito's are my bug fear. damn blood sucking plague vectors. even the sound of them makes me twitchy.