PDA

View Full Version : How about a simple hand-to-hand melee system like F.E.A.R.?

Bloodwolf806
3rd Nov 2008, 21:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CpNeJcj7ls

It would be awesome to do, easy to pull off, and would look completely badass.

serene_chaos
3rd Nov 2008, 21:48
I think that if you can bash people with your guns, then melee weapons like batons, knives and dragon's teeth will become redundant, no?
I would however, like to see hand to hand combat, where fists act as a weapon, as in elder scrolls and doom. That way when you break out of mj12 you dont have to find a weapon before you can start the murderin'.

Bloodwolf806
3rd Nov 2008, 21:54
I think that if you can bash people with your guns, then melee weapons like batons, knives and dragon's teeth will become redundant, no?
I would however, like to see hand to hand combat, where fists act as a weapon, as in elder scrolls and doom. That way when you break out of mj12 you dont have to find a weapon before you can start the murderin'.

I was referring to the punches and kicks in the trailer. And melee with guns doesn't negate melee weapons.

imported_van_HellSing
3rd Nov 2008, 22:09
That way when you break out of mj12 you dont have to find a weapon before you can start the murderin'.

Unless it plays out like MGS2 :rasp:

spm1138
3rd Nov 2008, 22:18
It looks like we're getting something similar anyway with the melee weapon augs.

Makes sense. A burly combat cyborg should be able to slap people about pretty well.

I did like F.E.A.R.s h2h. It was nice and simple. Rid**** did this well also. Of the two I preferred Rid****: Escape from butcher bay because it had a bit more depth.

Bloodwolf806
3rd Nov 2008, 23:04
It looks like we're getting something similar anyway with the melee weapon augs.

Makes sense. A burly combat cyborg should be able to slap people about pretty well.

I did like F.E.A.R.s h2h. It was nice and simple. Rid**** did this well also. Of the two I preferred Rid****: Escape from butcher bay because it had a bit more depth.

Ah, an even better example. I remember the melee system in that game, it was awesome!

Ritter
4th Nov 2008, 05:08
Yeah Rid*****'s melee combat system is the best of any FPS game I've played.They should implement something like that in Deus ex 3

Jerion
4th Nov 2008, 05:29
You know, at first I thought that a hand-to-hand combat system co-existing with a weapon melee system would be redundant...until I remembered that Deus Ex was all about Redundancy. There were always at least 2 or 3 ways to accomplish the exact same result in every single aspect of the game.

I feel that an exceptional hand-to-hand combat system combined with an effective (and by effective, I mean that I want it to act brutal) weapon melee system would be awesome. And you could totally mix it up. Walk around a corner with an un-silenced AR out and run into a very surprised guard? Bash him in the throat with the butt of your rifle and use your arms to beat him to the ground. Swift, near silent takedown.

GmanPro
4th Nov 2008, 05:50
Someone needs to add R i d d i c k to the dictionary here man, kind of annoying. Just a bit..

Jerion
4th Nov 2008, 05:58
Someone needs to add R i d d i c k to the dictionary here man, kind of annoying. Just a bit..

Maybe we could do this. :)

imported_van_HellSing
4th Nov 2008, 06:30
I still remember how the title would get rendered into Chronicles of Ridpeepee on the Ion Storm boards :D

Jerion
4th Nov 2008, 06:52
I still remember how the title would get rendered into Chronicles of Ridpeepee on the Ion Storm boards :D

:lol: Yeah, I'll see what can be done about it. ;)

VodunLoas
4th Nov 2008, 09:35
LOL, I remember that!

<-can anyone beat my join date with only 44 posts? ;)

Lazarus Ledd
5th Nov 2008, 07:34
The name Trestkon is being brutalized in TNM :D

How about implementing a Rambo 2008 melee hand to hand, :rolleyes:
:)

Romeo
6th Nov 2008, 07:08
Guns need ammo, make noise and the butt of a pistol wont damage as much as the blade of a sword.

general kane
6th Nov 2008, 12:55

u gotta be kidding i finished oblivion 4 with my fists :lol: , the hand to hand combat is a cool edition though .

Decay
7th Nov 2008, 10:52
In Deus ex (original obviously, IW=craap) imho 2 primary things were not elaborated:
1. There was lack of ability to climb on high objects etc, which leaded to a ridiculous situaton of looking small boxex that could be climbed on, to be able to get higher,
2. Lack of martial arts, which was also a problem for me. When i was out of ammo, to kill enemy i had to use sword/knife (years spent in academy didnt teach how to break neck? ).
The first matter was solved in IW, so i am shure also in Third we will have ability to climb. But how the way with martial arts will look in Deus Ex 3? If players will be able to kill with hands, how will it look? My conception looks as follows: players could be able to learn different martial arts abilities. To make game more various, could be f.e. 4 little tress of martial arts:
-very brutal (with skills such as neck braking and so)
-path of avoiding killing and stunning insted
-path connected with wepaons (tricks like Trinity did in first Matrix - took a wepon of soldier's arms and killed him instanlty)
-classic combat school with blocking hits, kicks' strength enhancement and so.
I'm shure that would add to the game some splendor. Furthermore thanks to the choice (you wouldnt be able to learn all skills but only these from one chosen tree) it would still be Deus Ex but with some new elements. What do u think about it?

DXeXodus
7th Nov 2008, 11:16
We already have a melee thread.

Threads merged.