PDA

View Full Version : Graphic card geforce 8800 gt

brandibuck
2nd Nov 2008, 10:09
I dont have enough $$ $$ to get a new graphic card so i called my uncle to help

He has a geforce 8800 gt and he says that its not compatible for laptop

is it true???

oh and how does a graphic card look like anyway???

I really dont knnoww

GoranAgar
2nd Nov 2008, 10:14
You can not change the graphic card in a laptop.

pleomax
2nd Nov 2008, 10:21
oh and how does a graphic card look like anyway???

This is a beast.....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/pimg/GX-068-EA_400.jpg

brandibuck
2nd Nov 2008, 10:26

So what should i do

what kind of version should i put

GoranAgar
2nd Nov 2008, 10:49
I do not understand your confusion. It is simple.

From your posts I understand you try to play the game on a laptop, right?

Your laptop does not meet the requirements. There is nothing you can do to play the game on THAT laptop.

tym
2nd Nov 2008, 17:16

Not entirely true. Replacing the motherboard is a means of upgrading the graphics (I've done this). One could also get a dock with a PCI or PCI-E expansion slot for a separate graphics card (which I may do, if I decide I even want to bother with this version of TR).

GoranAgar
2nd Nov 2008, 17:24
Didn't you tell me in another thread you are planning to buy a new notebook?

And how many notebook manufacturers do you know that offer upgrade kits for their notebooks. I know none. You can be certain that in 98% of all notebooks the mainboards of a new line do not fit into the old cases.

Yes, it is remotely possible, but expensive, difficult and highly improbable. You see, nitpicking is not helping here.

bingojubes
2nd Nov 2008, 17:45
most laptops are compact, thus having a graphics chip (not card). since most laptops cannot run games, it's suggested you try to play on a PC, instead. because it is a laptop, your graphics chip is integrated video, which means your memory is already probably strained through use of operating system and graphics chip at the same time. if that is the case, then you would not have a sufficient amount to run the many calculations with the tiny bit of laptop memory that is left.

as for buying upgrades for laptops, you MAY be able to open your laptop and stick more memory sticks into it, and also maybe look into those expansion graphics cards that plug into your xpansion slot. but other than that, gimping the game to lowest settings probably still isn't going to help much.

tym
3rd Nov 2008, 00:32
Didn't you tell me in another thread you are planning to buy a new notebook?

I presume this is directed at me? I have been planning to get a new laptop, but not until the middle of next year. I suppose that if I wait until then, TRU will probably be in the $9.99 bargain bin.

And how many notebook manufacturers do you know that offer upgrade kits for their notebooks. I know none. You can be certain that in 98% of all notebooks the mainboards of a new line do not fit into the old cases.

Yes, it is remotely possible, but expensive, difficult and highly improbable. You see, nitpicking is not helping here.

I don't claim a kit, nor do I claim that a motherboard replacement is easy; please reread my post. However, it is possible. I'm not nitpicking, but rather simply taking issue with a categorical statement that is incorrect. Further, the other half of my reply that you may have missed was regarding a dock plus separate card. That's not technically challenging and offers a reasonable compromise for those not willing to plunk down serious coin for a new laptop just to play a $40 game.

tym
3rd Nov 2008, 00:33
because it is a laptop, your graphics chip is integrated video, which means your memory is already probably strained through use of operating system and graphics chip at the same time.

There are "workstation" class laptops that have discrete graphics. That's definitely a buying point for me when considering laptops.