PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I map the Mousekeys? :(

lhaymehr
31st Oct 2008, 16:10
Why...in GOD'S NAME, are mouse buttons not rebindable?

Please, someone explain this to me because I just do not understand the logic behind this utter nonsense. Is it a bug in the demo or what? Because I cannot remember a recent game that could not have it's mouse button reconfigured. Even in Resident Evil 4 which did not support the mouse axis could you bind the mouse buttons.

IntelliMoo
1st Nov 2008, 02:34
Tried the TR:U PC demo (via Steam). I am shocked to find that I cannot assign my mouse buttons for use in the game. I can do so just fine in Anniversary and Legend, so why was the ability removed? I even tried adding tru.exe to Microsoft IntelliPoint and assigned buttons to keystrokes (such as middle-click for Interact), but the button is still not recognized in the game.

Please fix this in the real game!!! :mad2: Thanks

rg_001100
1st Nov 2008, 05:56
PC port of a console demo. Some things will be missing from the demo that will star in the game.

Dusan
1st Nov 2008, 07:31
Same issue/question here.
Is that a bug or a feature? :scratch:
Thanks for clarification! ;)

lhaymehr
1st Nov 2008, 10:58
I doubt there is any 'real' porting involved with this engine. I believe it's streamlined to perfection. But as it gets more complex the bugs are obviously emerging. After some tinkering with it I believe this is one of them.

One thing baffles me though; how are programmers able to perfectly implement complex things such as the rendering engine, yet are unsuccessful in weeding out bugs in essential and most obvious areas such as control configuration?!? :rolleyes:

In any case, with a bit of registry poking, exporting and comparing I solved the problem. If the game comes out with this bug, I have my hack ready :). Unfortunately, most of the players that are getting this game don't. :(

Surfdude
1st Nov 2008, 13:06
Same problem here, just to add my voice

rg_001100
1st Nov 2008, 17:07
One thing baffles me though; how are programmers able to perfectly implement complex things such as the rendering engine, yet are unsuccessful in weeding out bugs in essential and most obvious areas such as control configuration?!? :rolleyes:

In any case, with a bit of registry poking, exporting and comparing I solved the problem. If the game comes out with this bug, I have my hack ready :). Unfortunately, most of the players that are getting this game don't. :(

Haha, I think it was just an oversight. Although it wasn't ideal to not be able to bind the mouse, I was fine with it for the demo. (LMB = shoot, RMB = lock on; that's how I would've bound it).

Really? What was your fix? (do share)

rjdriver
1st Nov 2008, 17:58

I'm sure this is just an oversight - not a bug, but would you be kind enough to reveal your hack?

Bob

lhaymehr
1st Nov 2008, 18:28
Sure.

http://snjezanat.net.amis.hr/Controls.zip

How I made it is was pretty cumbersome. Reconfiguring/unbinding keys in-game then exporting reg files and doing a 'compare by content' - playing spot the difference. Anyway, this is the way I like my controls in 99,9% of games.

This is a configuration for playing with arrow keys and a 5+ button mouse.

What's changed is:
Right button - jump
Middle button - use
Button 4 - Lock on
etc..

If you want to use this file it requires you to edit registry and we all know that if you are not completely sure what you are doing with the registry you will most likely render your system unusable. So, you've been warned.

What you do is navigate to HKCU\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider Underworld Demo\Input and delete that key, then import the attached reg file by simply double clicking it inside explorer.

lhaymehr
1st Nov 2008, 19:05
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=873979

LARALARACROFTGEEK
1st Nov 2008, 19:10
yes its really annoyingg:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

IntelliMoo
2nd Nov 2008, 05:35
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=873979
Well it's nice someone took the time to come up with a hack, so at least that means the ability is in there and wasn't removed by the developers.

The demo was fine without my usual extra mouse button ability, but the whole game would sure be tedious for me without middle-click for interact, left-side for grappple, and right-side for manual aim.

Damage Inc.
2nd Nov 2008, 06:39
Yes, it's a ridiculous bug or whatever together with other ridiculous things still in the game.
I really hope the final game will be a LOT better, cause there are too many nasty things.
Next to many improvements of course...
But it does looks like some kind of pre-beta or a beta-version of the game though.

Swatcat
2nd Nov 2008, 09:01
For me this means dissaster, because I always use the left mousebutton
for walking, right mousebutton for shooting. (In any game)
Doing it any other way feels ackward and unnatural for me and ruins
the experience.

And why can't I unmap keys. I have so many keys double-mapped now.
Per exmaple: When I press left, Lara goes left and at the same time it turns her
headlight on... :/

I really hope that in the final version you can map the mousebuttons (all 5)
or al TRU will be for me is frustration :-(
And that you can start with all keys blank!

pleomax
2nd Nov 2008, 10:34
I have a microsoft habu, and it comes with seperate razer software to reprogramme all the mouse keys, works great.

Jurjen
2nd Nov 2008, 11:36
You can unmap keys by pressing backspace. (I think it says so on-screen?)

Swatcat
2nd Nov 2008, 11:59
Yes, it does say so indeed, only it doesn't work here :(
Nothing happens when I press backspace

rjdriver
2nd Nov 2008, 12:27
In case you don't have a 5 button mouse, or you'd prefer a different mouse config than what Ihaymehr uses, here's another way to map the mouse, if you have TR Legends on your system with controls already configured the way you like them. This process will duplicate the Legends controls in Underworld.

Again, this involves opening the registry, so please proceed with caution. Backing up your registry first is recommended.

1. Start/Run
2. Type in regedit and click OK
3. Navigate to Hkey_Current_User\Software\Crystal Dynamics\Tomb Raider: Legend\Input
4. With the word Input highlighted, Right click and choose Export. Choose a location to export to (ie: desktop), name it whatever you like (ie: Legends to Underworld Config)
5. Find the file where you saved it. Right click and choose Open- with Notepad
6. In the second line where it says Hkey_Local…..change the words Tomb Raider: Legend to Tomb Raider: Underworld Demo
7. Scroll down to where you see a similar line ending in Unknown. Make the same change in that line.
8. File/Save
9. Double click the file. Click Yes when prompted. You have now changed all the controls in Underworld to match the ones set up in Legend.

One further caution. I have not played the demo long enough to find out if they added any new actions or controls to Underworld that were not present in Legend. This could be a problem. If you encounter an action that does not work or cannot be configed to a key, and it’s absolutely essential to finishing the demo, just reinstall the demo and muddle through. :-)

Bob

IntelliMoo
2nd Nov 2008, 18:44
Yes, it does say so indeed, only it doesn't work here :(
Nothing happens when I press backspace
To unmap a key, just highlight the key and press backspace, don't go into the mapping first. And beware, if you unmap any of the mouse already there, you won't be able to map the mouse again! (have to reset to defaults)

IntelliMoo
2nd Nov 2008, 18:51
In case you don't have a 5 button mouse, or you'd prefer a different mouse config than what Ihaymehr uses, here's another way to map the mouse, ...
Bob
You rule, dude!

Luckily the new moves are basically just extensions of the usual keys, so they should still work fine. I was actually surprised the wall "chimneying" is easy to do, e.g. lol

Swatcat
3rd Nov 2008, 12:06
To unmap a key, just highlight the key and press backspace, don't go into the mapping first. And beware, if you unmap any of the mouse already there, you won't be able to map the mouse again! (have to reset to defaults)

Thanks IntelliMoo :)

geardoom3
4th Nov 2008, 22:43
If this isn't fixed for the release I will not buy the game.

Daniel Kay
7th Nov 2008, 21:30
Gotta agree, i always mapped the mouse so middle button is jump and right button is "action", here the middle mouse button isnt mapped at all and right button is "free aim" which has been pretty unneccessary in the past games (with the exceptions of some puzzles) so this doesnt really make sense... i do hope this is only a bug and they fix it till the release day, otherwise i'd be pretty dissapointed, it WAS mapable in the previous games after all

Damage Inc.
7th Nov 2008, 22:41
Gotta agree, i always mapped the mouse so middle button is jump and right button is "action", here the middle mouse button isnt mapped at all and right button is "free aim" which has been pretty unneccessary in the past games (with the exceptions of some puzzles) so this doesnt really make sense... i do hope this is only a bug and they fix it till the release day, otherwise i'd be pretty dissapointed, it WAS mapable in the previous games after all

LOL - I WISH there was actual free-aim.
The things that's mapped under right-click is simply drawing the weapons and sure you can shoot around wherever.
But whenever there is a enemy/target around it will lock onto it, which just sucks.

Anyway, I have 'jump' under right-click and 'draw weapon' under the wheel-click.
Shooting simply under the left-click...

But eh, I bet this Demo is just some really early excerpt of the game or something.
There are so many crappy things about this software.
And they especially can't leave the sucky key-mapping like this, you can barely work with it.
At least you can't do what you want, especially not when it refuses to use the mouse.
It's unacceptable...

geardoom3
15th Nov 2008, 21:40
If this isn't fixed for the release I will not buy the game.

Anybody here can tell if this is fixed in the final release ?
I mean configuring the mouse for jump etc.... Thank you

Damage Inc.
16th Nov 2008, 17:37
Anybody here can tell if this is fixed in the final release ?
I mean configuring the mouse for jump etc.... Thank you

Yeah, I'd like to know that too.
But it will probably be, it seems far too limited if you couldn't.

jeffareid
20th Nov 2008, 05:38
I just got underworld and I can't map the mouse buttons with the actual released version of the game.

Damage Inc.
20th Nov 2008, 19:25
I just got underworld and I can't map the mouse buttons with the actual released version of the game.

Woah really, well CD/Eidos... doesn't that suck... XD
But that's really bad... seems like this game is a messed up console-port or something?
I really hope they patch it, before I ever get this game, or I just won't.

exile550
21st Nov 2008, 21:39
Crystal Dynamics is pissing me off with their Tomb Raider games controls. Heck, Core did a better job. In Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, the keyboard arrow keys were unbindable. It's really frustrating not to be able to play the game the way I want. Now the mouse buttons can be remapped, well that's just great. The fix mentionned above works, but it's still poor quality control to ship a game with those kind of problems. It really feels like Eidos/CD doesn't care about their PC fanbase.

Damage Inc.
21st Nov 2008, 22:07
Crystal Dynamics is pissing me off with their Tomb Raider games controls. Heck, Core did a better job. In Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, the keyboard arrow keys were unbindable. It's really frustrating not to be able to play the game the way I want. Now the mouse buttons can be remapped, well that's just great. The fix mentionned above works, but it's still poor quality control to ship a game with those kind of problems. It really feels like Eidos/CD doesn't care about their PC fanbase.

ARROWS?! lol XD
Just use WASD and the keys around it, should be a lot handier anyway.
I mean, everything around the arrows is basically "too far".
But whatever you like...

It is terrible you can't even remap the mouse-buttons though.
That includes the arrow-keys, that should be possible no matter what.
Maybe they just need to clear some issues with the controls...

geardoom3
21st Nov 2008, 23:53

Thank you for sharing this. This is the reason why I wait before buying games. For stupid details like this that make a nice product becoming a booze of ****.
:mad2:
:nut:

Damage Inc.
22nd Nov 2008, 01:25
MEH, still can't believe it! FIX IT! :D

Rod Carroll
29th Apr 2010, 00:31
I just purchased Underworld, and it is still not fixed. How bogus is that? I was able to modify the registry to make it work as detailed above, but what a pain.

Justus
11th Oct 2011, 05:51
The new moves are basically just extensions of the usual keys, so they should still work fine but some time it does not make sense when you take jump and open the fire some time it drops weapons and not
properly take jump as it happens in all its previous series.