PDA

View Full Version : loved the demo but......

chip5541
2nd Nov 2008, 07:30
i shouldn't be able to shoot and kill teh shark from the boat according to Mythbusters

A vertical rig was a worst-case scenario. In order to make it easier to test and also to make it correspond better with a real-world scenario, they decided to make their new rig be at a 30 degree angle. At a 30 degree angle with an 8 ft penetrating bullet, you would only have to be 4ft underwater.

Someone strangely agreed to allowing Adam and Jamie to shoot off guns in their pool. Adam made a new 20 ft railway for the ballistics gel target and they mounted it at a 23 degree angle.

For the first test they used a replica Civil War black powder rifle shooting Jamie's homemade bullets at 1000 ft/s.

Replica Civil War rifle @ 15 ft: The bullet veered way off target.
Replica Civil War rifle@ 5 ft: they couldn't find the bullet and the ballistics gel was still intact -- nonfatal
Replica Civil War rifle @ 3 ft: The bullet went through the gel -- fatal. At this distance, though, the gel was only 2 ft underwater because of the angle.
They switched to a .223 rifle, which shoots at 2500 ft/s

.223 rifle @ 10 ft: the full metal jacket bullet shattered into tiny bits upon hitting the water -- nonfatal
223 rifle@ 3 ft: once again the bullet broke up. The tip of the bullet was resting on the ballistics gel -- nonfatal (myth confirmed)
The next gun up was the M1, which shoots at 2800 ft/s. In their Bulletproof Glass mythbusting, the M1 was capable of penetrating 2.5" of bulletproof glass.

M1@ 10 ft: tiny bullet fragments once again
M1@ 2 ft: the bullet only pierced the gel 4", which would be enough to just pierce the skin.
They finally broke out the big gun, the .50 cal with armor-piercing rounds, which are shot at 3000 ft/s.

Adam: "Hopefully we'll be gone before the pool fully drains"

.50 cal @ 10 ft: even though the water exploded, the ballistics gel was intact. Water made it all the way up to the ceiling. As it was with the previous guns, the bullet round came apart on impact. It lost all of it's energy within the first 3 ft. You would be safe 14" underwater at a 23 angle from a .50 cal.
confirmed: you can protect yourself from a bullet by diving underwater. If the shooter were directly overhead, you would probably be safe from most guns at 8 ft. At a 30 degree angle, you would only have to be 3 ft underwater to be safe.

:rasp:

josh1122
2nd Nov 2008, 07:34
lol :D

I love MythBusters :lol:

Tihocan
2nd Nov 2008, 08:33
HAH!

Funniest glitch/bug complaint yet. Awesome.

CarlKenner
2nd Nov 2008, 11:02
According to Mythbusters we should also be able to punch the sharks in the nose to make them go away. Actually that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the sharks. :)

StarChampagne
2nd Nov 2008, 12:54
Haha, love it :) Though I don't understand most of that technical stuff...

And I thought sharks rarely attacked humans anyway? :rasp:

Resy
2nd Nov 2008, 19:11
haha I love Mythbusters too. I shot the shark from the boat also but it took a few rounds. I'm sure I was missing it a lot. I wanted to throw one of those air canisters overboard and see if it would pick it up, then I'd shoot it in classic JAWS fashion. Sadly Lara wouldn't toss one of those yellow canisters overboard.

Jurre
2nd Nov 2008, 19:15
Yeah I saw that episode. Its looks like we'll have to give her a musket, that will do the job.

axlroses
2nd Nov 2008, 23:33
Yeah I saw that episode. Its looks like we'll have to give her a musket, that will do the job.

I would like to know how to jump on an animal to trigger an idle mode worse kill

rg_001100
4th Nov 2008, 01:01
i shouldn't be able to shoot and kill teh shark from the boat according to Mythbusters
Maybe I'm interpretting trends incorrectly, but it seemed that the musket, with the lower muzzle velocity, was able to penetrate further into the water, while the higher calibre weapons, with higher muzzle velocity, had more energy wasted as transferred into the water from the bullet itself...
I'm unsure of the muzzle velocity of the HK USP pistols used in the game, but the muzzle velocity wouldn't approach that of the hi-powered rifles, surely.

Aside from that, it's only realism for the sake of gameplay, not at the sacrifice of it :rasp:

MercuryRapids
4th Nov 2008, 08:53
According to Mythbusters we should also be able to punch the sharks in the nose to make them go away. Actually that's the first thing I thought of when I saw the sharks. :)

And, of course, Lara did just that in the second TR film, punched a shark in the nose, but rather than it going away, she hitched a lift. :)

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/5867/tr2moviesharkpunch1lr3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)