PDA

View Full Version : Help!: Failed to initialize Direct 3D with current settings

ditom
1st Nov 2008, 22:58
I can't run it because of :,,Failed to initialize Direct 3D with current settings" message.
Can you help me ?

bingojubes
1st Nov 2008, 23:11
there have been numerous postings of the direct 3d error for a lot of members. try to use the search function please.

Rai
1st Nov 2008, 23:46
I can't run it because of :,,Failed to initialize Direct 3D with current settings" message.
Can you help me ?

I'm afraid it means your video/graphics card is outdated. You need to update your drivers. I have the same problem but as I have a laptop, it isn't really an option for me.

My laptop isn't soo old or at least I thought, but it transpires that anything more than 6 months is deemed old. :eek:

@bingojubes, yes there are lots of threads like this one. Unfortunately, people are worried and are anxious to get answers, so won't always search.

tiger
2nd Nov 2008, 03:51
Can you help me ?

I played and enjoyed TRA and then TRL, quite nicely, on my "old" PC system. :)

But, now, I have about half of what TRU needs. . . :eek:
So, by a very rough estimate, there went about half of their TRU market, perhaps?

And maybe, we'll see what changes for the PC version, by Christmas, hopefully? :cool:

pleomax
2nd Nov 2008, 10:43
Underworld is quite a step up from anniversary or legend.

I can run it fine but it is much bigger than the previous titles.

GoranAgar
2nd Nov 2008, 10:51
My laptop isn't soo old or at least I thought, but it transpires that anything more than 6 months is deemed old. :eek:

With laptops it has nothing to do with age. You can buy a current laptop with some crappy Intel or S3 graphic that still won't run the game. When buying a laptop you get what you pay for.

tym
2nd Nov 2008, 17:14
With laptops it has nothing to do with age. You can buy a current laptop with some crappy Intel or S3 graphic that still won't run the game. When buying a laptop you get what you pay for.

But even laptops with discrete graphics are unable to play the game, as are many people with desktops that don't meet the (high) graphics specs.

Atlantis3735
2nd Nov 2008, 18:00
I have a cheap laptop with a crappy Intel graphics card and for some reason it runs all the Tomb Raiders up to Underworld. I don't know why but it runs Anniversary on minimum settings perfectly fine. I don't know why, i'm pretty certain it's magic.

:D

Although I prefer playing my classic TRs on my PS1 and my new TRs on my 360.

bingojubes
2nd Nov 2008, 18:17
game makers are going to keep pushing the envelope when it comes to new games...players just have to adapt to the changes.

console games are good for console, because the games are tailored for the console, whether it be good or bad. i would always rather buy a $200 dollar video card that will get me through at least 5 future game titles than buying a 300$ console that will become obsolete in the next few years.

ditom
3rd Nov 2008, 14:03
I'm so angry :mad2:
I have to sell my notebook and buy new one because playing TR on console is like playing Call Of Duty 4 on PC without keyboard.
I fought that if TRL and TRA runns perfectly on my laptop TRU shouldn't have any problems too...but I can't even run it.
This is first time when I'm angry on CD.:mad2: :mad2:

Rai
3rd Nov 2008, 14:21
I have a cheap laptop with a crappy Intel graphics card and for some reason it runs all the Tomb Raiders up to Underworld. I don't know why but it runs Anniversary on minimum settings perfectly fine. I don't know why, i'm pretty certain it's magic.

:D

Must be magic, my cheap laptop with crappy Intel graphics card runs the TR games including TRA with everything except full screen effects just a treat too. ;) :D

Unfortunately my son's PS2 is also a bit crappy at the moment and I can't afford to upgrade my laptop or the console. So no TRU for me until...um whenever I get more money. :whistle:

Angie Croft
4th Nov 2008, 13:37
I've spend the last 3 hours downloading TRU demo...and now I'm so furious!!!!!!! I knew I won't be able to play it on this junk of my computer, but as it performed quite well with Legend and Anniversary I hoped that..never mind. at least I tried :mad2:

bingojubes
4th Nov 2008, 16:29
I've spend the last 3 hours downloading TRU demo...and now I'm so furious!!!!!!! I knew I won't be able to play it on this junk of my computer, but as it performed quite well with Legend and Anniversary I hoped that..never mind. at least I tried :mad2:

welcome to "next-gen" gaming :)

GoranAgar
4th Nov 2008, 17:19
I have more than the minimum system requirements, my gcard is Radeon 9600 Pro Family, my directX and my driver card is uptodated, and I have 150 gb free im my hard disk!
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

EIDOS, I WANT TO PLAY TRU DEMO IN MY PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
Then answer my question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TombRaiderFreakForever
4th Nov 2008, 17:29
i have the minimum requirements :mad2: i think this demo thing is silly, the computer version doesn't even look all that wonderful as the 360 and ps3 version **** yet it still says that my direct 3d can't initialize.......i'm confused :confused:

GoranAgar
4th Nov 2008, 17:35
i have the minimum requirements :mad2: i think this demo thing is silly, the computer version doesn't even look all that wonderful as the 360 and ps3 version **** yet it still says that my direct 3d can't initialize.......i'm confused :confused:
If you meet the minimum requirements your drivers might be outdated. If you check the FAQ thread you will learn how to share this information with you.

And the PC version does look at least as good as the PS3 or XBox version. Depending on the computer you run it on.

If anyone is reading this:

IF YOU WANT HELP, GIVE US INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR SYSTEM. CHECK THE FAQ-THREAD TO FIND OUT HOW!!! But don't just come here and tell us our demo is silly.

tiger
5th Nov 2008, 00:11
If you meet the minimum requirements your drivers might be outdated. If you check the FAQ thread you will learn how to share this information with you.

And the PC version does look at least as good as the PS3 or XBox version. Depending on the computer you run it on.

IF YOU WANT HELP, GIVE US INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR SYSTEM. CHECK THE FAQ-THREAD TO FIND OUT HOW!!! But don't just come here and tell us our demo is silly.

Maybe, you need to talk a bit in this thread?
PC demo players - are you able to play the demo OK? (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=137354)
(And who knows, maybe you can talk zillions of past TRL and TRA players into buying a new PC just for TRU?) :cool:

GoranAgar
5th Nov 2008, 05:16
Maybe, you need to talk a bit in this thread?
PC demo players - are you able to play the demo OK? (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=137354)
(And who knows, maybe you can talk zillions of past TRL and TRA players into buying a new PC just for TRU?) :cool:
I posted in that thread that 2 of my PCs and 1 of my laptops run the demo just fine.

Other than that, this forum here is my first priority. :)

sexyalex
6th Nov 2008, 05:03
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo. nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *cries more and more till gets a bloodshot*

I HAVE WAITED FOR NEARLY OVER A FLIPPIN BLOODLY YEAR FOR THIS GAME TO BE REALEISED and now....
I can't even play it because I am being told my laptop i payed my much bloody money for in march is bloody outdated.
If you, have any.....idea....how much....I am an angry right now, how much I in tears right now...how could edios do this to me....All i ever did was be a good customer :mad2: :mad2: T.T
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! wahhhhhhhhhhhhh ha ha heeeawwwwww!
*sniffles*
I havn't cried this much since my grandmother died when I was 13 :(

rg_001100
6th Nov 2008, 05:13
I am being told my laptop i payed my much bloody money for in march is bloody outdated.

Who said that?
With laptops date isn't the issue... it's that the chipsets for most laptops simply are not good enough to run newer games. If you are able to run it, then bonus, but if you want to game on a computer, a desktop-PC is best for PC Gaming.

Angie Croft
6th Nov 2008, 13:10
Can I ask you guys a question? I'm planing to buy a second-hand graphics card, NVidia 7600GT PCI Express but it has only 256 MB RAM memory...This card should run TRU, right? Can I upgrade it somehow with more RAM so I can play TR when it finally comes out?

TombRaiderFreakForever
7th Nov 2008, 00:03

sorry i should rephraze that:P the demo itself isn't silly, i meant all the discussion about between the differences is silly, because it doesn't matter its the same game right? sorry sometimes my fingers type faster then my mind thinks lol

tiger
7th Nov 2008, 02:51
. . . Sorry to jump around boards, like this. . .
But the final "right answer" for TRU might mean MILLIONs to Eidos and LOTs of fun for us? :thumbsup:

Legend Next Generation on older cards by Joseph (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=62311)

And as Joseph said, it will be a "crippled next generation display".
(This is pure speculation for our more technical folks and for our very helpful Admins, perhaps?) :cool: