PDA

View Full Version : Is this a demo or a beta? PDA broken.

phydeux
1st Nov 2008, 15:43
It seems that unless I use it on the boat, the PDA seems to hang the game. If I'm anywhere on land and press the PDA button the screen goes black, the background sounds continue, and my hard drive light goes on and stays on until I reset the whole blasted computer.

Alt-Tab doesn't work.
Alt-F4 doesn't work.
Ctrl-Alt-Del amazingly doesn't work.

And I wouldn't even be so irritated if it weren't for the fact that this isn't the first, or even the second time Eidos has released a game demo that was seriously flawed. This is actually the 8th demo of theirs I've played that came out with bugs so big you can't avoid them.

And its not my computer. I just built this rig last week and its top of the line. AMD Phenom 9950 quad-core, 4GB DDR2-1066 RAM, 1.5 TB HDD, nVidia GTX 280, 800W PSU, and Vista Ultimate x64 SP1. And of course all the drivers are brand new latest revisions.

I'd love to hear why Eidos is still releasing betaware demos. Perhaps they should start letting Quality Control dictate when things are released, and not the Marketing department. I'm getting sick of the Eidos hype machine building you up for a game only to have it let you down because they didn't give enough time for tracking down bugs.

GoranAgar
1st Nov 2008, 16:43
And of course all the drivers are brand new latest revisions.
Since it is a demo and you have not paid anything for it yet, you can wait for the next NVidia driver. Sometimes with the really fresh games running on the latest hardware the drivers do not themselves follow all the specifications NVidia communitated to the game developers.

I have seen this before and it will happen again and again and again.

phydeux
1st Nov 2008, 21:16
All the more reason why Quality Control should take the reins from Marketing. They could do a much better job of complying with the standards set out by the hardware manufacturers if they weren't so rushed to get something out the door.

And don't give me that "you haven't paid for anything" line, that's crap and you know it. This is a demo that's supposed to be an accurate representation of the finished product intended to entice me to buy the full game.

And this is like having a car on the showroom floor with a partially painted fender, one headlight missing, a dented bumper, a flat tire and one out of round, and only half the steering wheel. That's not going to sell a lot of cars because it won't test drive well and people will find it unappealing.

Nor is a demo chock full of major bugs going to compel players to buy the game. If anything its going to give long-time players like myself all the more reason to steer clear of this game and others by Eidos as well. Now, if Eidos has the intestinal fortitude to PULL the demo, work on the bugs, then RE-RELEASE it, then I'd give it another try.

But I've very seldom seen any game publisher forego their almighty deadlines to fix major flaws in a product demo. Usually they'd rather foist whatever they've got on the populace and follow up with several huge patches until they get something workable.

LaraLara
1st Nov 2008, 21:30
Hurray for GeForce 8600 GT! :o

GoranAgar
2nd Nov 2008, 08:49
You apparently found ONE bug. And so far you are the only one who has reported that bug. Terrible slip up by quality control I agree. Sorry about that.

phydeux
2nd Nov 2008, 15:18
No need for the sarcasm. I wouldn't be annoyed if it had been something minor like screen tearing or missing textures, but this is a complete show-stopper bug.

And this isn't the first Eidos demo I've seen have this sort of problem. In fact, the last time I saw it was another Tomb Raider title several years ago. But it was almost the same type of bug. Open a specific menu and it hangs your PC. Only back then it caused a BSOD.

GoranAgar
2nd Nov 2008, 17:20
What can I say. If there is more than a couple of people with the same problem I am sure CD and NVidia will look into it.

Please do me a favour. When the next NVidia driver gets released, please try again and let me know if the problem still shows up. :)

But please do not run around and scream Beta Beta because you encountered a problem.