PDA

View Full Version : Shadows on Lara even everything maxed looks crappy

jazzman2k
1st Nov 2008, 14:37
hi,

first of all the demo runs supersmooth on everything maxed even 16 Q AA and 16 anisotropic

but the shadows are really looking like crap no eye candy at all... she has lines on her body all over that doesnt look very good.

fyi i have a 8800 GT nothin special nowadays but the performance is great ^^

maybe anyone know a trick to get the shadows smooth because if it stays that way im gonna switch em off it just doesnt look right.

edit: on screenshots it doesnt show the problem somehow but ingame u can see it clearly looks like waves of lines ar streaming on her body really annoying

greetz

mrlacer1
4th Nov 2008, 17:27
Yea, its happening with me too.

I'm using a Geforce 8800 GT 512MB with everything maxed and it looks very cool, but always flickering square shadows ruin whole impression.

Here is my screenshot, shadows near subtitles or collarbone shouldn't look like that

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/860/tr1mi7.th.jpg (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tr1mi7.jpg)http://img359.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

GoranAgar
4th Nov 2008, 17:40
Yes, they do not look too nice. Hopefully NVidia is going to fix that. :)

Veppie
4th Nov 2008, 18:47
I only see this in the first cutscene and it doesn't bother me very much. But is is not the way it's suppose to be. I have another Nvidia cart 9500GT. I guess GoranAgar is right and it's an Nvidia problem.

bingojubes
4th Nov 2008, 20:07
i has the same shadow thingy with my ati. guess the hd4800+ really helps that out some.

Brunbär
4th Nov 2008, 21:49
same problem with an X1950, but so far I can't seem to reproduce lighting on Lara to produce shadows that way, it always happens during the intro though

Golden Laurel
4th Nov 2008, 21:54
Does anyone have this problem on the Xbox360?

Spong
5th Nov 2008, 00:21
Does anyone have this problem on the Xbox360?

I very much doubt it seeing as the hardware is a constant. There's so many variables to be taken into account with PC setups, I'm sure that's why people are experiencing odd problems with the display in the demo.

bingojubes
5th Nov 2008, 00:27
it could just be a problem with the cinematic itself. maybe the cinematic is at a lower resolution or something compared to the rest of the game. like the old tomb raiders: the cinematic looked way better than the actual game, but was still fun to watch and play. now, the actual game looks better than the cinematics - never thought that could happen ever.

pleomax
5th Nov 2008, 22:59
The shadows appear to be running at a low resolution, could be crystal dynamics couldn't be bothered to make them high res for pc, so its looks stupid.

daygo
7th Nov 2008, 08:02
i have a 8600gt graphics card not a bad card but the shaddows are only on the opening scene and nowhere else, so i am satisfied:rasp:

humanvessel
13th Nov 2008, 19:20
I experienced a similiar anamoly on the 360 - I can only deduce, since it only happened on this one particular cinematic, that it's a very small rendering glitch. It's isolated to this one opening scene, so I guess it's just a matter of the rendering engine not displaying the self-shadows properly. Everything else in the demo is extremely well-realized and polished, so this very tiny visual deterence is not too big of a problem. The truth is, this is an in-game cutscene, so a close-up like that is bound to have a problem. Modern games have all kinds of effects to render, and some times a small visual discrepency is just something we have to deal with - no biggy. As for the model, very detailed and gorgeous, and animates beautifully. Nice to see a game that prioritizes expressive characters, since that is an essential element to drawing us in emotionally.

casualty
14th Nov 2008, 20:10
It happens on the Xbox360 and PC demo for me, if you guys are talking about the shadows on Lara's face blinking. Mass Effect had a similar problem---like the textures were moving at times. I wish I knew if the PS3 was going to do that---I'd buy the PS3 version if not. Now I'm leaning towards the 360 for the acheivements.

ShinoBboy
19th Nov 2008, 01:34
It happens on the Xbox360 and PC demo for me, if you guys are talking about the shadows on Lara's face blinking. Mass Effect had a similar problem---like the textures were moving at times. I wish I knew if the PS3 was going to do that---I'd buy the PS3 version if not. Now I'm leaning towards the 360 for the acheivements.

lol...PS3 has trophies.